ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Affordable Care Act , AHCA , donald trump , health care issues , health insurance issues , obamacare , Trumpcare

Old 24th May 2017, 01:32 PM   #3241
Stacko
Philosopher

Just remember to take the CBO score seriously, not literally.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:37 PM   #3242
Stacko
Philosopher

CBO score is out.
  • 14 million more uninsured by next year
  • 23 million more uninsured by 2026
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:49 PM   #3243
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Our hospital has a pretty good solution in place for non-emergent care. The ER also has an Urgent Care center. There's a FP resident, NP or PA on duty at all times and the ER docs supervise. The Urgent Care also doesn't turn anyone away, regardless of ability to pay, which was a decision made by the hospital owners (who happen to mostly be doctors in the community).
That's standard practice for any ED large enough to benefit from dividing care into urgent and emergent. It makes no sense to send non-paying ED patients to the more-expensive-to-run ED when your urgent care is available.

From your posts in the 'Trump has NPD' thread you imply you own the facility and that the docs and mid-level providers work for you. In this thread it sounds like a different story. Just curious.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:05 PM   #3244
Stacko
Philosopher

AHCA is $874 billion in tax cuts and $119 billion in deficit reduction, financed by a net $993 billion reduction in spending on health care.
Old 24th May 2017, 02:17 PM   #3245
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Anyone catch John Oliver's segment on dialysis treatment on sunday night? It's the free segment of the week, and I have to say it surprised me quite a bit.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I suppose the profiteering part is what dialysis treatment has in common with the rest of the health care system.

Having said that, I'm genuinely surprised that dialysis treatment is paid for by the government.
Wow! I had no idea, sounds like yet one more crony company living off corporate welfare. Write the legislation working for a Congressperson, quit your job with Congress when it passes and get in on the contract you just wrote the legislation for.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:32 PM   #3246
xjx388
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
From your posts in the 'Trump has NPD' thread you imply you own the facility and that the docs and mid-level providers work for you. In this thread it sounds like a different story. Just curious.
The hospital I'm talking about in this thread is a physician-owned hospital in which my wife and I are partners. This is a different entity from the clinic I refer to in the other thread.
Old 24th May 2017, 03:43 PM   #3247
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

wrong thread
Old 24th May 2017, 04:50 PM   #3248
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
CBO score is out.
  • 14 million more uninsured by next year
  • 23 million more uninsured by 2026

That's not good by any means unless you are rich.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:53 PM   #3249
TraneWreck
Philosopher

And don't forget that the premium drops are because they removed the health care. Lowest premiums in the states that provide the least coverage. This cannot be considered a positive.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 05:36 AM   #3250
Stacko
Philosopher

A Republican candidate assaulting a reporter for asking a question about the CBO score is a perfect anecdote for the politics of Trumpcare.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #3251
Stacko
Philosopher

The CEO of Blue Cross NC says flat out that Trump and GOP Congress are why premiums will soar.

Quote:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina has announced that it intends to try to raise premiums by 22.9 percent next year. The company says it would have tried to raise them by only 8.8 percent, but it is going for the larger increase because the Trump administration has not said whether it will continue paying the law’s so-called “cost-sharing reductions” (CSRs) to insurance companies, which subsidize out-of-pocket costs for lower-income people who get insurance on the individual markets. Democrats in Congress want to appropriate money to cover these subsidies, but Republicans have not done so.

In an interview with me this morning, Brad Wilson, the president and chief executive of Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina, said flat-out that the failure of the Trump administration and Congress to guarantee that these subsidies will continue is why rates are going to soar for hundreds of thousands of people in his state.

“The failure of the administration and the House to bring certainty and clarity by funding CSRs has caused our company to file a 22.9 percent premium increase, rather than one that is materially lower,” Wilson told me. “That will impact hundreds of thousands of North Carolinians.” The company says it has approximately half a million customers getting individual insurance via Obamacare.

“We filed a 22.9 rate increase for 2018 based on the assumption that the CSRs will not be in place,” Wilson also said. “The rate increase would be 8.8 percent if the CSRs were guaranteed for 2018. Because they are not, the rate is 22.9 percent.”
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #3252
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Yep, pretty much.
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #3253
Tero
Muse

Federal law could demand that all insurance companies operating in a state, with employer based plans, also have to offer plans to individuals. Subsidized or not. That way the two types of insurance would approach each other. Employers would pay about half of it for employees.
And we are going right back to the Hillary/Obama progression of things once we get rid of Trump. The last Republican president this century. Face it, with population growth and more urban people, the future is more Sesame Street than Little House on The Prairie.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #3254
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Federal law could demand that all insurance companies operating in a state, with employer based plans, also have to offer plans to individuals. Subsidized or not. That way the two types of insurance would approach each other. Employers would pay about half of it for employees.
I don't think you could require employers to pay for any specific percentage of the cost. But you might require insurance companies to offer the same standard plans on the same terms to groups and individuals, pretty much turning everybody in the state into one risk pool.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #3255
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
The hospital I'm talking about in this thread is a physician-owned hospital in which my wife and I are partners. This is a different entity from the clinic I refer to in the other thread.
Without a better explanation forgive me if I put you in the WYSIWYG file and ignore your references to actually knowing what Nurse Practitioners' scope of practice is.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #3256
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill

I think we can all quit worrying about repeal for the moment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics