ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #1361
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
If I heard correctly... it was a week or so before the Inauguration. The election was over.
See, and that's what I don't get about this. Trump was the president-elect. Why did the president-elect's transition team need a secret backchannel to Moscow hidden from US intelligence? What was the point? As the president Trump could make his personal Russia stance official US policy; what difference did it make if US intelligence had access to the administration's communications with Russia? Honestly the only thing that makes sense is the administration anticipating communication that would be harmful to Trump personally if it were known even to America's own intelligence agencies.

The only scenario I can think of that doesn't involve espionage or other criminal activity they would desire to keep secret for obvious reasons, would be the Trump's administration wanting to negotiate some peace or cooperation pacts with Russia, taking as much time as necessary in secret, so that after a deal was finally hammered out he could host some Russian dignitaries at his richie-club for a weekend and make a big announcement at the end of it acting like his incredible "deal-making" acumen resolved US-Russia antagonism in two days' time. But that seems like it would be an example of longer-term and more-involved planning than this administration has heretofore demonstrated itself capable.

Last edited by Checkmite; Yesterday at 11:20 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #1362
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
See, and that's what I don't get about this. Trump was the president-elect. Why did the president-elect's transition team need a secret backchannel to Moscow hidden from US intelligence? ....
Current Trumpundits are noting Kissinger's actions in the Nixon presidency to establish backdoor communication with Moscow.

Say what? The Red Phone was established in 1963. Note to Trump apologists, the Red Phone was never a secret back door channel, it was a publicly disclosed channel to Moscow to avoid a nuclear holocaust.

This bull is getting thicker and thicker.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM   #1363
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Current Trumpundits are noting Kissinger's actions in the Nixon presidency to establish backdoor communication with Moscow.
Well we know that's baloney anyway, because the official Moscow-Washington link still exists and is in operation; there's absolutely no reason the transition team would have to take steps to "set up" another system.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #1364
Stacko
Philosopher

The biggest Trump/Russia story may be out in the open

Quote:
Whatever happened behind closed doors in Trump Tower back in December, it’s worth recalling the events that played out quite publicly this week in Brussels.

On May 24, Trump’s national security advisors — who, with Flynn gone, overwhelmingly have conventional American views on Russia and NATO — gave the New York Times a heads-up that Trump’s speech at the NATO conference in Brussels would affirm his commitment to the alliance’s core guarantee of collective security.

Then when it came time to give the speech, Trump didn’t do that.

His advisors later turned around and insisted that, of course, the United States remains committed to the North Atlantic Treaty and its critical Article V pledging that an attack on any NATO member will be regarded as an attack on all NATO members. And, in reality, that is a legally binding treaty obligation of the United States whether Trump likes it or not. The fact of the matter is, however, that these same advisors believed they had talked Trump into making a public affirmation of this and then he refused to do it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #1365
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
See, and that's what I don't get about this. Trump was the president-elect. ...

Yeah, I was half wrong... I don't know what "Jan 11th/12th" tidbit worked its' way into my brain today but Jared's "secret comms" overture was back in December.

Yes, the election was over and no I don't know what the hell he or they were thinking.
I try to put the most innocent spin on it I can, and "naivete" only gets me so far.
Not far enough... not by a long shot.

Is Trump China's "interesting times" curse on us?

Well played China... well played.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; Today at 01:56 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:12 AM   #1366
Alphaba
Optical Allusion

The bestest idea of President Orange Sphincter was to scold or to alienate as quickly as possible both the intelligence community (CIA, FBI, NSA, ...) and mainstream media (out of Fox News) over this Kremlin meddling.

Making them de facto allies against him was a tremendously brilliant strategic move: I can't think of any other combo as efficient and lethal against his presidency.

Keep up the good work, Il Donce!
Alphaba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #1367
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

I'm old enough to remember when Kushner leaked stuff about Bannon and Flynn via (among others) Joe Scarborough.

Wonder who is leaking now in full force about Kushner? (Just kidding of course, Bannon and Flynn wouldn't do such things, such good guys.)

Last edited by Firestone; Today at 02:43 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #1368
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Wonder who is leaking now in full force about Kushner? (Just kidding of course, Bannon and Flynn wouldn't do such things, such good guys.)
I hope it's Chris Christie that wrote the letter to WaPo.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #1369
Stacko
Philosopher

Somebody please leak the minutes from one of these Fox editorial meetings where big news breaks and they go, "let's do college kids again."
Old Today, 03:53 AM   #1370
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I hope it's Chris Christie that wrote the letter to WaPo.

Would be like a good old family vendetta.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics