ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old Today, 11:17 AM   #1721
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Microtargeting and messaging are completely different things, but okay.
And?

Poor messaging is obvious. Those links went to the whole picture. The Democrats get killed during most campaigns and it's incomprehensible they don't hire marketing experts.
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #1722
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
It's richly and hilariously ironic that you're saying that in the context of a frontrunner whose basic message is "Dream Big, Fight Hard", when your preferred candidates, who are doing quite poorly indeed, seem to be sticking to something more like "Aim Low, Let the Republicans Come to You."
Did it work for Bernie?

That's an absurd false dichotomy, BTW.
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #1723
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Knock it off with the personalisation, please.
Posted By:Agatha
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #1724
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Despite all the shade being cast on Mayor Pete hereabouts -- sans one shred of specific evidence -- he's the one candidate that got a bounce from the last debate, according to a recent poll.

Buttigieg surges in Iowa poll
Every time I've heard him speak he's impressed the hell out of me. He's not as liberal as many people would like though. If he wasn't gay, I'm pretty sure he would be the frontrunner. Eloguent, erudite, clean cut, a military veteran, middle America.

You gotta wonder how Muslim countries would react. I mean this person would be stoned in many of them.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:50 PM   #1725
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Pete's been in the #3 spot in Iowa since early October:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...rimary-d/iowa/
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #1726
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The electibility argument always struck me as a bit speculative. "please vote for this candidate in the primary, despite not really liking him very much, because other voters in the general will like him more than you do".

I'm not in the mind reading business when I vote. I can't know if some empty suit like Buttigieg will appeal to some MAGA chud in Ohio or not. I only know that Buttigieg strikes me, personally, as totally uninteresting.

In the the wake of the HRC failure, I am deeply skeptical of the appeal of technocratic centrists. It is becoming increasingly clear that they strike most everyone, left and right, as terribly unappealing.
You have to admit electability is unusually important this go round.

And as far as Clinton, I don't think winning by 3 million votes and still losing by a couple thousand in three states means she was unappealing.
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #1727
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's rare, sure, but the conditions were favorable for a continued D hold of the executive. Obama was very popular throughout his term and HRC benefited as his successor.

Trump was a uniquely weak candidate and HRC still lost.
Let's get back to the 2020 election here and the elephant in the room that you seem to have forgotten: foreign intervention and a massive pro-Trump social media campaign is going to happen again.

Zuckerberg already made an excuse so he doesn't have to police outright false campaign ads from FaceBook under the faux pretense of free speech. And I doubt it's a coincidence that Warren is threatening to break up big monopolies like FaceBook while Trump gave wealthy people like Zuckerberg and his friends a huge tax break.

At least the media isn't covering every minute of Trump's Nuremburg rallies. Let's hope that doesn't change, but it wouldn't surprise me if Trump started saying things even more outrageous at those rallies to garner more free publicity.

Someone needs to start asking these candidates what their plans are to combat massive ads and other sharing of items on social media that push GOP propaganda.
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #1728
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
USA Today notes that it may be a three-person race in Iowa, but not the three we thought, as Pete Buttigieg elbows his way past Bernie into third place.

Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg has apparently given Buttigieg some advice on campaign hires.
Interesting considering FaceBook refused to take down false claims about the Bidens' corruption.

Maybe they are sleeper cells (I know, I know, no evidence) or maybe Zuck isn't pro-Trump after all.
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #1729
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Interesting considering FaceBook refused to take down false claims about the Bidens' corruption.

Maybe they are sleeper cells (I know, I know, no evidence) or maybe Zuck isn't pro-Trump after all.
Zuck is pro money. He's a selfish centered prick. He made a fortune in the last election off the Russians and he doesn't want to jeopardize that revenue stream.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:55 PM   #1730
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Let's get back to the 2020 election here and the elephant in the room that you seem to have forgotten: foreign intervention and a massive pro-Trump social media campaign is going to happen again.

Zuckerberg already made an excuse so he doesn't have to police outright false campaign ads from FaceBook under the faux pretense of free speech. And I doubt it's a coincidence that Warren is threatening to break up big monopolies like FaceBook while Trump gave wealthy people like Zuckerberg and his friends a huge tax break.

At least the media isn't covering every minute of Trump's Nuremburg rallies. Let's hope that doesn't change, but it wouldn't surprise me if Trump started saying things even more outrageous at those rallies to garner more free publicity.

Someone needs to start asking these candidates what their plans are to combat massive ads and other sharing of items on social media that push GOP propaganda.
Problem for Trump is th emore outrageous things he says, the more he drives away everybody who is not already a member of the his cult.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics