ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th October 2019, 02:14 PM   #2041
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
WOW!

As for Rudy - I think he will last forever - though he will wind down, someone will pull the string his back, like I used to do with my Woody Woodpecker puppet.
Unless he is arrested....apparently the no indictment rule applies only to Trump, not to his staff.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:15 PM   #2042
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Shep Smith is out at Fox.
I think he will have both MSNBC and CNN bidding for his services...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:25 PM   #2043
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think he will have both MSNBC and CNN bidding for his services...
He said he won’t be “reporting” for anyone else in the near future, but that’s lot of wiggle room.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #2044
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He said he won’t be “reporting” for anyone else in the near future, but that’s lot of wiggle room.
Yeah, he could get a nice paycheck as a commentator....

He won't have any lack of offers, that's for sure.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 02:32 PM   #2045
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Smith left right after a meeting between Barr and Rupert Murdoch

God, the day, and let it be not far in the future, when Murdoch kicks the bucket I will be out in the streets, dancing and singing "Ding Dong,The Witch Is Dead" at the top of my voice.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 02:33 PM   #2046
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Unless he is arrested....apparently the no indictment rule applies only to Trump, not to his staff.....
I wonder if they are taking bets on Rudy being indicted?

Which reminds me. His name escapes me. What ever happened to Trump's crazy friend who they arrested in the middle of the night. He wore those round glasses and had the the Nixon tattoo on his back.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 03:18 PM   #2047
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, he could get a nice paycheck as a commentator
There are so many commentators around though. I have little patience for them. I bet he could write an interesting book though. One thought I had was working for a 3rd party candidate - or for that matter, being one.

How much chance is there for a serious Republican challenger for Trump?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 03:20 PM   #2048
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

Which reminds me. His name escapes me. What ever happened to Trump's crazy friend who they arrested in the middle of the night. He wore those round glasses and had the the Nixon tattoo on his back.
Roger Stone - trial
next month - recently lost a motion to suppress some evidence.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:22 PM   #2049
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There are so many commentators around though. I have little patience for them. I bet he could write an interesting book though. One thought I had was working for a 3rd party candidate - or for that matter, being one.

How much chance is there for a serious Republican challenger for Trump?
None.Nada. Zip. Trump is taking great pains to see that in most states a challenger for the nomination cannot even get on the ballot.In some stater there will not even be a ballot..just a gathering of Trump puppet delagates in a phony convention. He is turning the GOP into an authoritarian organization,but that seem to be fine with most in the GOP.
Now an ex GOPer running an an indenpedent is another thing..that might happen.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th October 2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:24 PM   #2050
Armitage72
Illuminator

Roger Stone. According to Wikipedia, "As of May 2019, Stone is pending prosecution by the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia."
I see some news stories from about two weeks ago saying that a judge rejected his request to suppress the evidence from the 18 search warrants.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 03:26 PM   #2051
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

And Smith left right after a meeting between Barr and Rupert Murdoch

God, the day, and let it be not far in the future, when Murdoch kicks the bucket I will be out in the streets, dancing and singing "Ding Dong,The Witch Is Dead" at the top of my voice.
Murdoch is despicable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 03:27 PM   #2052
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Stone is basically using the worst kind of shyster lawyer tactics..tactics which no respectable attorney would use...to delay the proceedings.
You have not seen much of Stone because he has to keep a low profile, and that must be driving him nuts.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:28 PM   #2053
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Murdoch is despicable.
Way too mild, but if I used the words I think properly describe him I would get a suspension...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:33 PM   #2054
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Professor Farnsworth.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:43 PM   #2055
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Shepard SMith just said Fox's prime time lineup "was more then he could stand"

You ain't the only one, Shepard...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:59 PM   #2056
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump refuses to say Giuliani is still his lawyer 😂
Old 11th October 2019, 04:06 PM   #2057
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump refuses to say Giuliani is still his lawyer 😂

Gee, Donnie has made similar remarks about people in his administration, and every time they are gone with a week....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 04:13 PM   #2058
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Shep Smith is out at Fox.
Less than 24 hours after Barr had a meeting with Murdoch.
WOW!

As for Rudy - I think he will last forever - though he will wind down, someone will pull the string his back, like I used to do with my Woody Woodpecker puppet.
The problem is his mechanism is broken, so you don't know what he's going to say. He's as likely as not to accidentally rat you out.
Hope he enjoys Club Fed.
Old 11th October 2019, 05:35 PM   #2059
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Even for Trump, having an attorney whose is under criminal investigation is a really bad look you should not have.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 05:39 PM   #2060
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And shortly after The PDJT said Fox News polls suck. He must have thought that Shep created them because he reported them, and wanted him gone from his network.
Old 11th October 2019, 05:39 PM   #2061
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

The problem is his mechanism is broken, so you don't know what he's going to say. He's as likely as not to accidentally rat you out.
Hope he enjoys Club Fed.
As a couple of people have said, he had a very bright political future after 9/11,..was considered Presendential Timber (I read that the Democratic party was making definent attempts to get him to change parties) but he has ended up a national joke and facing criminal charges. Pretty tragic, and he brought it on himself.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th October 2019, 10:46 PM   #2062
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:
Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan is stepping down from that position, President Trump announced Friday night.
"Kevin now, after many years in Government, wants to spend more time with his family and go to the private sector," Trump tweeted shortly before taking the stage at a rally in Lake Charles, La. "Congratulations Kevin, on a job well done!"
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...-to-leave-post

All those years of hard work and he never got past acting secretary.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 11th October 2019 at 11:01 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 05:13 AM   #2063
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This is what is sad, really.
As one person said, "From America's Mayor To Trump's Chump".
For someone else, yes it would be sad. Because Rudy is a Trump supporter, his destruction is funny.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:56 AM   #2064
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
For someone else, yes it would be sad. Because Rudy is a Trump supporter, his destruction is funny.

It's funny because he brought it on himself. Eyes wide open, making conscious choices every step of the way.

And unlike Trump he doesn't have the excuse of being stupid, congenitally incompetent, and totally ignorant of how politics works, and what crosses the line from ethical to unethical and legal to illegal.

He could have stepped down from mayor and had a great career and left an excellent record.

Now he'll go down in history as just another one of Trump's mouthpieces, dirty deeds errand boys, and patsies.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:00 PM   #2065
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

He said he won’t be “reporting”for a for anyone else in the near future, but that’s lot of wiggle room.
Generally, in his existing contract, there would be a moratorium, for a fixed period, before he could work for a competing network. As he negotiated his way out of his existing contract, it would seem probable that he accepted a condition that this moratorium period would extend past the 2020 election period.

I imagine, Lachlan Murdoch, who is concerned that revenue will collapse if Trump is ousted in 2020, would keep an open door to bring him back after the 2020 election as "a journalist of integrity". (Or alternatively Murdoch is going to maximise revenue in the next year and sell off Murrdoch's interest in Fox asap)

It seem to me that the Murdoch's should have kept 20th Century Fox film division (entertainment) rather than sell that off, to increase shareholdings in Fox News. Entertainment is always more resilient in political and economic change.
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:06 PM   #2066
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump issued a statement in suuport of Giuliani...but we have snen this before...Trump going back and forth on a member of his adminstration. in the end, the guyi in question has always been thrown under the bus in the end.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2019, 12:45 AM   #2067
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Shepard SMith just said Fox's prime time lineup "was more then he could stand"

You ain't the only one, Shepard...
He should have blasted the network for enabling all of the lies and propaganda of the White House and GOP. He was way too nice in his resignation announcement.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 12:46 AM   #2068
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm not sure Fox would really want to battle it out in court if Shepard joined another network.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 12:47 AM   #2069
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump issued a statement in suuport of Giuliani...but we have snen this before...Trump going back and forth on a member of his adminstration. in the end, the guyi in question has always been thrown under the bus in the end.
I have to wonder why there are still those loyal to Trump. He has a history of throwing everyone under the bus. Loyalty is only one-way with Trump.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 03:21 AM   #2070
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Even for Trump, having an attorney whose is under criminal investigation is a really bad look you should not have.
And for a president of the United States of America, it's gob-smackingly awful.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 03:25 AM   #2071
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have to wonder why there are still those loyal to Trump. He has a history of throwing everyone under the bus. Loyalty is only one-way with Trump.
Unless you can dig up some dirt on the Bidens in the immediate future. Given Trump can't tell fact from fiction these days, I'm sure the remaining toadies are concocting a whole lot of fairy tales like this to stay on Jabba's good side.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 06:08 AM   #2072
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm not sure Fox would really want to battle it out in court if Shepard joined another network.
He should have blasted the network for enabling all of the lies and propaganda of the White House and GOP. He was way too nice in his resignation announcement.
I'm hoping to see him show up on one of the CNN shows as a guest spilling all the beans. I don't think that would violate his non-compete clause.
Old 13th October 2019, 01:29 PM   #2073
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Smith is also free to write articles and books. I think lots of stuff is going to come to light.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2019, 01:49 PM   #2074
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It's funny because he brought it on himself. Eyes wide open, making conscious choices every step of the way.

And unlike Trump he doesn't have the excuse of being stupid, congenitally incompetent, and totally ignorant of how politics works, and what crosses the line from ethical to unethical and legal to illegal.

He could have stepped down from mayor and had a great career and left an excellent record.

Now he'll go down in history as just another one of Trump's mouthpieces, dirty deeds errand boys, and patsies.
He may be doing a Pierre Salinger. The guy pissed away his reputation in old age by buying into a conspiracy theory about TWA 800. Giuliani may be suffering from a cognitive decline.

However the unethical nature of his activities makes it hard to feel sad for him.
Old 13th October 2019, 02:28 PM   #2075
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

They never expect the leopard to eat their face.

Which goes a long way to explaining why they are Republicans in the first place.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 08:54 PM   #2076
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They never expect the leopard to eat their face.

Which goes a long way to explaining why they are Republicans in the first place.
The money quote on this was during the manufactured shut-down/border funding emergency when one of the trailer trash brigade said that the shutdown was making it hard on her "He's not hurting the RIGHT people." When the article first appeared I was critical of the reporter for not hammering home the obvious follow-up, "Just who are the right people who you want to see screwed on the job front?", I decided it's a perfect dangling quote to close the discussion with because it describes the face-eating-leopard-syndrome to a tee.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 09:13 PM   #2077
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Reports that even his White House staffers think Giuliani has become a huge liablltiy and should go. but Trump seems reluctant to pull the trigger.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2019, 09:17 PM   #2078
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Reports that even his White House staffers think Giuliani has become a huge liablltiy and should go. but Trump seems reluctant to pull the trigger.
Probably because he'll finally get Rudy's bill.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 09:20 PM   #2079
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

No! I want him to give a few more interviews clearly implicating Barr and Pompeo. Rudy's the gift that keeps on giving. Just wind him up and put him in front of a microphone

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 09:24 PM   #2080
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Rudi will get hired by the Trump Campaign, just like everybody else.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics