ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , mediums , psychics

Old 23rd August 2019, 09:36 AM   #41
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Hello All,

I have been speaking with a medium who said she has a message to give me from my mum. I don't know how she knew my mum has passed away.
I am a skeptic but how can they know things about you when they haven't met you?
She also said that she is an evidential medium and can give me evidence by giving me a message that only me and my mum would know.... pretty freaked out.
1. Why did you go to this medium?
2. At what point did she tell you she had a message from your dead mother-Near the beginning, after a casual conversation, or at the second or third meeting?
3. How much have you paid her(if anything)?
Czarcasm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:38 AM   #42
dann
Philosopher

Do you think some mediums might have a mental illness as some claim to hear the dead.... is this delusional thinking? Hearing voices like a schizophrenic?

Yes, some mediums are mentally ill:

Quote:
Bishop moved to Denmark from Swindon in southwest England in 2000. He is described as being “active in the spiritual environment in Denmark”, which helped land him spots on several television shows. Graham claimed to be able to communicate with spirits by going into a trance and being possessed by someone who Graham calls ‘Dr Karl’. According to Bishop, Dr Karl is a German physician who was born in 1848 and began performing operations on people at the tender age of 12. Bishop claims that Dr Karl is his “main spirit guide” who uses Bishop’s body to help “heal” people in need.
Father sentenced to eleven years in prison and deportation for assault on twin daughters (CPH Post, Nov. 20, 2013)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:18 AM   #43
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks people. Do some psychics truly believe they have powers? It's utter BS
They sometimes do - A thread I started last year:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=330756

I didn't get into this in that thread, but a friend of ours has a son with autism. He and his family believe that he has healing powers - he lays his hands on a suffering individual and prays and they will be cured.

How or why this belief came about is unknown to me. They aren't asking for money but from my first hand observation they believe in the "healing" abilities of their son.

Word is that he was devastated by Al's death.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:27 AM   #44
AmyW
Thinker

I am a skeptic I can assure you. I am trying to 're learn things which I have been brought up with. I used to be a Christian, goodness knows that made me very irrational and I hate all religion. I then went to see a medium (it's a long story). I am trying to lead a rational life and grow apart from all things spiritual, religion and spirituality is delusional but when someone comes along and seems to know stuff it scares me. I am trying to 're educate myself realisiticly
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:35 AM   #45
AmyW
Thinker

Thanks Dave. It's a long story but I am an ex Christian. So I used to be spiritual, went to see a psychic who said she can communicate with God and that frightened me.... religion has been a really bad thing for me in my life (I have mild OCD) and so I decided to leave it all behind but a medium who claims she can speak to God scares me more ... I like science and rationality, religion has only caused me distress. I am trying to heal from past brain washing
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:36 AM   #46
AmyW
Thinker

No the psychic only knew my first name :-(

Last edited by AmyW; 23rd August 2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:56 AM   #47
Axxman300
Illuminator

Thank you :-)
This is what the medium emailed to me .... Can this really be true -

Hi Amy ,*

Every reading I give to a client has evidential information . I know one thing for sure . When my mom passed I asked my friend who is a medium to connect with her on several occasions.. I asked my mom to give her specific info through my friend . My mom would not give her the info . Although there was a lot of evidential info that only me and my mom knew . What I am trying to say is you may not get the exact memory you are asking for , but there definitely will be evidential message so you will know it is her .l can guarantee that there will be evidence . If for some reason after 10 minutes I would give you a full refund . Sorry , but I will not give you a reading before payment . Your mom knows we need evidence when I start the reading and that’s what she will do . I am like a telephone.. I listen to what spirit says and I repeat it to you . Think about it and if you want a phone reading pay online on my website*judithannepsychiedium.com*
Was your mother's obituary in the newspaper? Was there a funeral or memorial service? Folks who pass away end up on searchable lists.

This is scam.

Sorry about your mother but you don't need this right now.
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:00 PM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God

Thanks guys, I am a definite skeptic but these kinds of emails freak me out... like how did she know.
The answer is always this: she didn't.

If you watch these guys operate in front of a TV audience, for instance, they throw very vague allusions to various problems and only mention a name's first letter, often M. Inevitably some dupe in the audience finds a match, and the con continues from there.

But if you watch them further, not only will you see those vague predictions and cold reading, but also the failures that they quickly gloss over and move on from. They want people to focus on the forced "hits".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:03 PM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's times like this that I feel that Penn Jillett's words from the pilot episode of Penn & Teller's B.S. where they discussed the whole "Talking to dead" psychic thing are appropriate. (Language cleaned up.)
I miss that show. Penn and Teller should be made honorary UNESCO Heritage persons.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:11 PM   #50
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post
She didn’t say your mom died. Read it again carefully. Imagine you mom was still alive. How would you interpret what she said? You’d probably just take it as an example scenario and barely notice it at all.
This is the heart of the matter.

You heard what you wanted to hear, not what she actually said. That is how a cold reading works.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:13 PM   #51
Ricardo

Thanks Dave. It's a long story but I am an ex Christian. So I used to be spiritual, went to see a psychic who said she can communicate with God and that frightened me.... religion has been a really bad thing for me in my life (I have mild OCD) and so I decided to leave it all behind but a medium who claims she can speak to God scares me more ... I like science and rationality, religion has only caused me distress. I am trying to heal from past brain washing
http://www.after-death.com/Pages/About/Default.aspx
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:14 PM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Don't be a vulture.

Old 23rd August 2019, 12:17 PM   #53
AmyW
Thinker

No it wasn't in the newspaper, my mum died in 2013, I am from the UK and this medium is from the US, she did state if my mum is in spirit and didn't say she is in spirit so was she being general? I've just emailed to say my dad is in spirit too (he is very much alive) I am trying to trick her to see if I can catch her out.....
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:19 PM   #54
AmyW
Thinker

Richardo can you stop posting please and stop trying to convert me to your irrational beliefs
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:22 PM   #55
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Oh look, a spiritist. I knew one would show up.

Does that make me a psychic?

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:25 PM   #56
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

No it wasn't in the newspaper, my mum died in 2013, I am from the UK and this medium is from the US, she did state if my mum is in spirit and didn't say she is in spirit so was she being general? I've just emailed to say my dad is in spirit too (he is very much alive) I am trying to trick her to see if I can catch her out.....
In the U.S. you can search death records by name:

https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/ssdi/

It may be the same in the U.K.

Bottom line, anyone that tells you they speak to the dead is lying - period.

Old 23rd August 2019, 12:30 PM   #57
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

They no more about traps than you will ever be able to imagine. I don't expect her to fall for a simple gotcha like that. It's like a smart tourist trying to win a game of three card monty.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:30 PM   #58
AmyW
Thinker

I tried to catch her out and she has come back and said this -

Hi Amy ,*

I think you should find a local medium who does readings in person . The majority of readings I do are in person . If I don’t connect in the first few minutes I give the whole refund so I do not waist my time or their money .Look for a medium in your area that way you can get your money back right away if you do not get evidential info . Good luck ,*

I am not interested in seeing a medium. What I am trying to do is debunk them but I just can't work out how she knew about my mum
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:34 PM   #59
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I just can't work out how she knew about my mum
She didn't. Go back and read it again. It was a generalization, not a claim. She knew nothing.

Old 23rd August 2019, 12:45 PM   #60
AmyW
Thinker

Thanks Dr Keith, you are right! I have come on this site to re educate myself, the trickery behind it is incredible. A medium once told me she can communicate with god, the arrogance these people have, religion in itself is all about control and for her to claim she can communicate with god is insane and it did frighten me (religion has always been a negative for me) so I just decided to stop believing in religion altogether (best decision I made) but when this medium claimed she can commune with god it scared me and made me wonder if she really can and if mediums are real and heaven/hell do exists but if it's all trickery then I feel relief and all of your comments have explained the realities which is very re assuring
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:55 PM   #61
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thanks Dr Keith, you are right! I have come on this site to re educate myself, the trickery behind it is incredible. A medium once told me she can communicate with god, the arrogance these people have, religion in itself is all about control and for her to claim she can communicate with god is insane and it did frighten me (religion has always been a negative for me) so I just decided to stop believing in religion altogether (best decision I made) but when this medium claimed she can commune with god it scared me and made me wonder if she really can and if mediums are real and heaven/hell do exists but if it's all trickery then I feel relief and all of your comments have explained the realities which is very re assuring
Hat tip to Shrinker for pointing it out. I'm just good at repeating good ideas over and over until people give me credit.

Old 23rd August 2019, 01:08 PM   #62
8enotto
Graduate Poster

If Madame Woo doesn't have your credit card numbers in short time she knows she never will. It's about the quick turn and cashing out. If a big fish bites and needs multiple readings she hit payday.

The police use some of the same tricks in interrogation and if one spots it early enough it can be played with. That doesn't make many friends in uniform but it can work to an advantage.

These types are shameless and don't care the damage they do.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:13 PM   #63
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Oh look, a spiritist. I knew one would show up.

Does that make me a psychic?

It absolutely does, but you need to learn to control it.

You need my online, fast, effective course in how to train your natural abilities.

Pay just £99.99 for the full course at www.aloadofoldbollox.com and learn to expand your mind!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:28 PM   #64
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

No it wasn't in the newspaper, my mum died in 2013, I am from the UK and this medium is from the US...
Location doesn't matter when you have the internet. There are a lot of ways that the information could have been found out.... some other user's facebook post, along the lines of "I miss person X", government records, etc.
Quote:
she did state if my mum is in spirit and didn't say she is in spirit so was she being general?
Well, if she did say "IF" your mom is in spirit, so it does sound like a guess oh her part.

But even if she did definitively say "Your mom is deceased", that doesn't mean it wasn't a guess. She could be giving the same random guess to hundreds of people (with the home that 1 or 2 might fall for it).

It would be relatively easy to run such a scam.... purchase a list of email addresses (through some shady spam company). Create an email stating "I have a message from your deceased mother". Send it to 1000 people on your list. (It costs almost nothing to send an email.) Of those people you sent it to, most will either have parents that are still living (and thus discard the email right away), or think that it is a scam. But all you need is the 1 or 2 out of 1000 to think "maybe there's something to it" to justify the investment.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:36 PM   #65
carlitos
"más divertido"

The psychic can't spell or use punctuation correctly. She didn't even give the correct address for her website. If you were interviewing any other person to perform a service for you, would that have an impact?

ETA -
I suspect that this scammer knows how to find public records for her victims in the UK. That's probably what they teach in these "mediumship" classes.

Quote:
I have studied Advanced Mediumship at the Arthur Findley College of Spiritualism and Psychic Sciences in Essex, England. I have also studied with world renowned medium, Tony Stockwell of Great Britain,

Last edited by carlitos; 23rd August 2019 at 01:39 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:43 PM   #66
MEequalsIxR
Muse

Richardo can you stop posting please and stop trying to convert me to your irrational beliefs
Excellent advise but I doubt it will be followed.

It's a sword they're not meant to safe.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:45 PM   #67
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks Dave. This was her original email -
Does this sound like a prediction or just a general statement? Yes I am on Facebook but she doesn't know my full name.
Hi Amy ,*

One more thing . If I am connecting with a loved one who has past I ask them to give me some specific info so there is no doubt who is coming through . So if your mom. were in spirit and she wanted to come through she would need to give some kind of evidence that only you and her would know .

* * * * *Sincerely ,

* * * * * * * * * *Judith Anne*

Given your facebook page, it would not be difficult to find your full name. And don't all of the grammatical errors give you pause?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:47 PM   #68
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Welcome to the ISF, Amy. I just want to take a moment and consider the term “con man”. The word “con” in that phrase stands for “confidence”. These are confidence artists -- they’re very good at winning over your trust. It's the one thing charlatans the world over share in common, it may be the closest thing to an actual “superpower” they have.

How do they do it? There are a hundred ways, subtle and overt. It's about body language, tone of voice, facial expression. It's about projecting a sense of self-assurance and authority while making you feel like they’re your friend. It's about being charming. We don't always like to admit it around here, but they are.

So how do you resist? The best way is to become a grumpy, cynical, world weary skeptic, but not all people can pull that off. The next best way is to keep asking yourself questions: what's the psychic trying to project right now, and how am I reacting to it? How am I feeling about what she's saying, and why? Who's giving information to whom? Keep asking, keep your defenses up, don't drop them for a minute. And always bear in mind that his or her primary goal in life is to win you over. That's their game plan, that's all they need to make you think they’re for real. You have the power not to let them. That’s your superpower.

Last edited by Ryan O'Dine; 23rd August 2019 at 01:49 PM.
Ryan O'Dine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:09 PM   #69
wasapi
Philosopher

Welcome Amy! When I first read her communication to you, my initial focus was on the poor spelling, sentence structure, and other signs. At first I thought perhaps English isn't her first language, but then I realized it is.

To me, I hear the ignorance in her words. I would like to be more sympathetic, but she is stupid, and is trying to make a buck. Sometimes I look at believers sites, and found that to be common. They believe in "spells" and all of that crap, and they are simply dumber then dirt and ignorant beyond belief.

Glad you caught this one!
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:52 PM   #70
AmyW
Thinker

Thank you Ryan, Julia and everyone else for your comments, absolutely sound advice.
Do these people train to become a medium aka train to be a confidence artist, I like what was said about con meaning confidence:-)
Some mediums come across as very caring, are these certain mediums just plain delusional and think that they are helping people who have lost someone?
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:03 PM   #71
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you Ryan, Julia and everyone else for your comments, absolutely sound advice.
Do these people train to become a medium aka train to be a confidence artist
Some probably get 'training', others learn it on their own. But if you watch some of the appearances by any of the 'big names', you'll see that what the psychics do doesn't really take all that much skill or talent.

Quote:
Some mediums come across as very caring
Which is the problem.

Sometimes, the real world is not a very fun place. You go to the doctor, and he might give you bad news in a rather plain way. A medium that comes across as caring makes it easier for people to accept false hope.

Quote:
are these certain mediums just plain delusional and think that they are helping people who have lost someone?
Again some may be delusional. Most are not.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:08 PM   #72
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Do these people train to become a medium aka train to be a confidence artist, I like what was said about con meaning confidence:-)
Yes. I used to cold read. I gave up when people started taking it seriously.

Some mediums come across as very caring, are these certain mediums just plain delusional and think that they are helping people who have lost someone?
Sure. There is an entire spectrum from the outright charlatan to the true believer. Doesn't stop it from being wrong. Just because someone has a natural talent for cold reading does not automatically mean it has some validity

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:11 PM   #73
AmyW
Thinker

Thanks Segnosaur, this is reassuring :-) I think I am naive to these 'mediums' and the tactics they use. I didn't think about public records
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:13 PM   #74
AmyW
Thinker

It's so so wrong! I hope one day they will all stop existing it really makes me mad! How can they do this to people!
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:21 PM   #75
AmyW
Thinker

So do some mediums truly believe that they can talk to the dead?
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:34 PM   #76
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The classic film noir "Nightmare Alley" deals with a carny scam artist (Tyrone Power in a superb performance) who decides to go into the spiritualist racket. The movie was made in 1948, but a lot of the techniques is shows are still used today.
Guillermo Del Toro is doing a remake, with Bradley Cooper in the main role.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:23 PM   #77
Axxman300
Illuminator

Here's a quick psychic reading for you, free of charge:

Someone who's posted on this thread:

Is worried about their finances.
Thinking about getting a new job even though it's a huge risk.
Is missing a beloved pet.
Has a family member who is ill.
Has minor car trouble that they've been putting off due to money, but it bothers them.
Just had a birthday.
Is shopping for someone else's birthday.
Has an upcoming doctor's appointment that they're nervous about.
Is thinking about going back to school.
Has gone off their diet.
Is thinking about a large purchase which will upset their spouse/significant other.
Didn't see the last Avengers movie.
Like's chocolate ice cream.

People have so much in common, it's about casting a wide net.
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:16 PM   #78
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Even then body language will give away a bucketload. During the "It begins with a 'd', no, a 'b' or maybe an 'f'" routine it's really difficult not to let it show in your face when one of the scattergun 'facts' hits.

And the very fact of contacting the 'psychic' in the first place gives away a whole lot of information.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:30 PM   #79
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

I am a skeptic I can assure you. I am trying to 're learn things which I have been brought up with. I used to be a Christian, goodness knows that made me very irrational and I hate all religion. I then went to see a medium (it's a long story). I am trying to lead a rational life and grow apart from all things spiritual, religion and spirituality is delusional but when someone comes along and seems to know stuff it scares me. I am trying to 're educate myself realisiticly

You are using an extremely narrow definition of the word 'spiritual'. Remember that faith believers do not have a monopoly on the word. I, a total atheist, am a spiritual person, i.e. I have many aspects to my character/personality which are of the imagination and none of which believes in anything at all supernatural.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 02:56 AM   #80
AmyW
Thinker

Haha Axxman there are a few hits actually! Weirdly enough I have just been to buy a birthday present for someone, that's mad! I have also just had a birthday, last month and yes I like chocolate ice cream, it's so easy!
I too am trying to get out of religion, these mediums seem to believe in a god, what sort of god and how can their god allow such upset.
Susan, I was once a Christian and had been very previously brain washed, I am seeking a future which entails my own decisions and control.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal