ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th October 2019, 01:40 PM   #1
Venom
Illuminator

What is the prime age for a US president?

Or to ask it another way what age or age range would you prefer in a president?

Some of the things I think about if we want to look specifically at age

Experience
Is he old enough to appreciate the history behind current policies and practices?
What's on his resume? life experiences, etc.
Respect
Has he built a strong reputation among his colleagues or political circle?
Do people around him take him seriously as their boss?
Mental clarity
Is his judgement still strong and sharpness intact?
Social intelligence/awareness
Health
Overall emotional and physical well-being
Energy

I think late 50s is a good start.

Last edited by Venom; 11th October 2019 at 01:42 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 01:43 PM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Anywhere between puberty and senility. Beyond that it doesn't matter. So many other factors outweigh raw numerical age by such a huge margin it's on the same level as handedness and blood type.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 01:47 PM   #3
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

I'd say they need to be at least 35.
Old 11th October 2019, 02:00 PM   #4
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I would go younger than that, depending on the individual obviously. Otherwise you might miss out on some major talent. Also I think that deciding it's someone's "turn" is a bad idea and that does happen with older candidates.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:04 PM   #5
xjx388
Philosopher

I don’t think age should be much of a factor at all. Being older does not guarantee wisdom, maturity or any other cliché associated with “elders.” Speaking of clichés, “the youth are the future,” so why shouldn’t they have a chance to lead the country?
Old 11th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #6
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

A prime president should be properly aged. If you're starting with a fresh one, try about two weeks in the fridge. Wrap it in the parts of the Constitution that still matter to protect it while ensuring good ventilation. After the aging process is complete, slice off the leathery exterior and roast over a Sunday morning gasbag until you reach the desired level of doneness.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:26 PM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I'd say they need to be at least 35.
Seems arbitrary. Where did you come up with that?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 03:11 PM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Some of the things I think about if we want to look specifically at age

Experience
Is he old enough to appreciate the history behind current policies and practices?
What's on his resume? life experiences, etc.
Respect
Has he built a strong reputation among his colleagues or political circle?
Do people around him take him seriously as their boss?
Mental clarity
Is his judgement still strong and sharpness intact?
Social intelligence/awareness
Health
Overall emotional and physical well-being
Energy

Why he? And maybe the best age would differ between men and women because women live longer. Warren is sloghtly younger than the three other front runners for president but seems a decade younger.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:02 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

When it comes to experience, respect, mental clarity, social intelligence/awareness, health, overall emotional and physical well-being, and energy I find the peak age for all of those things is whatever age I happen to be myself. Right now that's 43, but I expect it'll move upward about one year per year that passes. Anybody younger is a clueless baby, and anybody older is dotteringly senile.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:04 AM   #11
Pope130
Illuminator

Has someone finally gotten the right question?
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:29 AM   #12
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
It sure seems to be the answer for everything.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:35 AM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:52 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The president should be old enough to have an established track record as an adult, that voters can look at and determine if it's close enough to their sense of adulthood to be worth considering as a candidate. So, not immediately after attaining majority. Probably at least 10-15 years of "adulting" is minimally sufficient.

And the president should be young enough to survive the ordeal, and to outlive the term of his presidency. Probably 10-15 years short of the commonly-accepted "retirement age" is minimally sufficient.

So anywhere between 35 and 50 is probably idea, but historically, older presidents have done alright.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 09:00 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

same as prime aged beef.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd put a limit for being elected to a first term at 65. Most of the current top candidates are as old or older than me, which is too old.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:21 AM   #17
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd put a limit for being elected to a first term at 65. Most of the current top candidates are as old or older than me, which is too old.
I can't put an age to it. I'd generally prefer a candidate in their mid to late 40s. But other factors are more important.
Old 12th October 2019, 02:14 PM   #18
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 02:21 PM   #19
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The real question is their mental age. Trump's is about 10.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #20
Venom
Illuminator

DEL
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 04:21 PM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Age as a qualification tells you nothing.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:25 PM   #22
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I don’t think age should be much of a factor at all. Being older does not guarantee wisdom, maturity or any other cliché associated with “elders.” Speaking of clichés, “the youth are the future,” so why shouldn’t they have a chance to lead the country?

Because they are stupid.

Age does matter. Being older doesn't guarantee wisdom but being young guarantees a lot less, generally speaking. Someone who's been around long enough to see some things come and go, see what real emergencies look like.

As an example I don't want someone in there who thinks the world is coming to an end with every crisis. "Oh Democracy is over!!!!". Look at some of the doomsday reactions we get from people here at ISF every time Trump talks to N Korea. OMG NUKES!!! Grow the F up.

After living through the cold war and some other trials and tribulations I'm not so easy to scare anymore. Talking on this forum - there is a definite difference between those who have been alive longer.

I'm not explaining this well I'm really tired. Let's try this - I don't want some young dork who hasn't been around long enough to know how things work. It takes time to move from idealism to reality.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:37 PM   #23
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

In general, I'd guess it's about the same for the President as it is for CEOs of major corporations--somewhere between 50 and 65. At 50, they presumably have acquired the knowledge, wisdom and contacts needed to handle the job, but still have some room for growth. At 65+ they would seem to be mostly placeholders--not much room for growth, their contacts are all starting to retire, and the world is changing.

ETA: Which is why it seems so odd that we are heading for an all-septuagenarian election.

Last edited by Brainster; 12th October 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:47 PM   #24
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Because they are stupid.

Age does matter. Being older doesn't guarantee wisdom but being young guarantees a lot less, generally speaking. Someone who's been around long enough to see some things come and go, see what real emergencies look like.

As an example I don't want someone in there who thinks the world is coming to an end with every crisis. "Oh Democracy is over!!!!". Look at some of the doomsday reactions we get from people here at ISF every time Trump talks to N Korea. OMG NUKES!!! Grow the F up.

After living through the cold war and some other trials and tribulations I'm not so easy to scare anymore. Talking on this forum - there is a definite difference between those who have been alive longer.

I'm not explaining this well I'm really tired. Let's try this - I don't want some young dork who hasn't been around long enough to know how things work. It takes time to move from idealism to reality.
The problem is whatever number you set is arbitrary. Was Kennedy too young? What about Teddy? We have a minimum age of 35. Donald Trump. Is the odest person to ever serve as President and he's by far the most childish.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:23 PM   #25
Bob001
Philosopher

Historically, who have been the most effective presidents? Maybe Washington, Lincoln, TR, FDR, LBJ, Reagan, Clinton. Pick your own. All were at least in their 50s, often older, and had substantial careers in public service before they ran for President. I would think someone younger than 50 or so would be a little short in life experience and professional accomplishments, and would be hard for congressional and world leaders in their '70s and even '80s to take seriously.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:42 PM   #26
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Historically, who have been the most effective presidents? Maybe Washington, Lincoln, TR, FDR, LBJ, Reagan, Clinton. Pick your own. All were at least in their 50s, often older, and had substantial careers in public service before they ran for President. I would think someone younger than 50 or so would be a little short in life experience and professional accomplishments, and would be hard for congressional and world leaders in their '70s and even '80s to take seriously.
TR was 42 when he took office. JFK was 43. Clinton was 46. Obama was 47. FDR was 51. Average age was 55.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._of_presidents
Old 12th October 2019, 08:46 PM   #27
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
TR was 42 when he took office. JFK was 43. Clinton was 46. Obama was 47. FDR was 51. Average age was 55.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._of_presidents
Without picking an argument, I wouldn't consider JFK or Obama particularly effective presidents, and Obama's lack of practical political experience worked against him.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 09:12 PM   #28
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Without picking an argument, I wouldn't consider JFK or Obama particularly effective presidents, and Obama's lack of practical political experience worked against him.
It's not about an argument. I just thought the data might help.
And I bet you can say that about Presidents who took office when they were 60.

Was Obama's lack of legislative success about his age or was it about having 6 years of Republican rule in Congress? He took over just as the economy cratered due to the mortgage crisis. And he still managed to pass the most comprehensive healthcare bill in my lifetime.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:56 PM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Age means nothing, experience does.

But let's forget all that, because the election is about finding a great Candidate, not a great President.
If you want to find good Presidential Material, you don't elect directly.
Old 13th October 2019, 02:30 AM   #30
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Age means nothing, experience does.
Experience means nothing if you don’t remember it or you are too inflexible to learn from it. These are two traits that accelerate with advanced age.

I would say that the upper limit should be 70 on the day you take office and to keep it simple, the same rule should apply to the office of VP.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 02:35 AM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Experience means nothing if you don’t remember it or you are too inflexible to learn from it. These are two traits that accelerate with advanced age.

I would say that the upper limit should be 70 on the day you take office and to keep it simple, the same rule should apply to the office of VP.
In my book, it's not experience if it leaves you completely untouched.
Old 13th October 2019, 03:05 AM   #32
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Age has nothing to do with it. I would be setting experience prerequisites (knowledge, skills, applicable job experience, prior convictions, etc.) and make them go through a comprehensive and searching qualifying examination process. It should include a "practical" at dealing with genuine presidential situations. It should be at least as difficult as defending a PhD thesis. The results should be made public for all intending candidates prior to any election process (current or revised).

Being president of the USA is a very serious and highly important job that affects not just the USA but the whole world. It should be open only to people who are trained, experienced and capable of filling the position, not someone who was "born to it' or fell into it or who bought (or conned) their way in. They have this sort of extended trial-by-fire stuff for jobs like astronauts and special forces because that's how they weed out the wannabes and get only the best of the best. It should be exactly the same for any US presidential candidates.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 13th October 2019 at 03:06 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 11:13 AM   #33
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Age has nothing to do with it. I would be setting experience prerequisites (knowledge, skills, applicable job experience, prior convictions, etc.) and make them go through a comprehensive and searching qualifying examination process. It should include a "practical" at dealing with genuine presidential situations. It should be at least as difficult as defending a PhD thesis. The results should be made public for all intending candidates prior to any election process (current or revised).

Being president of the USA is a very serious and highly important job that affects not just the USA but the whole world. It should be open only to people who are trained, experienced and capable of filling the position, not someone who was "born to it' or fell into it or who bought (or conned) their way in. They have this sort of extended trial-by-fire stuff for jobs like astronauts and special forces because that's how they weed out the wannabes and get only the best of the best. It should be exactly the same for any US presidential candidates.
A technocratic solution if ever I heard one.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 11:16 AM   #34
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
given the current leadership, it's hard to credibly argue against a little Technocracy.
Old 13th October 2019, 11:26 AM   #35
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The real question is their mental age. Trump's is about 10.
^This^

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 11:29 AM   #36
Pope130
Illuminator

While I am uncomfortable, given the history of Jim Crow, of arbitrary tests for public office, I would be Ok with requiring prospective office holders to pass the same citizenship test that immigrants must.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 03:08 PM   #37
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
A prime president should be properly aged. If you're starting with a fresh one, try about two weeks in the fridge. Wrap it in the parts of the Constitution that still matter to protect it while ensuring good ventilation. After the aging process is complete, slice off the leathery exterior and roast over a Sunday morning gasbag until you reach the desired level of doneness.

There's much to be said for letting them hang in the cellar.

That's what a restaurant I once worked at did with their beef prime rib, and it was the best in town.

The exterior you had to slice off was green and moldy, though. Not leathery.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 07:15 PM   #38
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
While I am uncomfortable, given the history of Jim Crow, of arbitrary tests for public office, I would be Ok with requiring prospective office holders to pass the same citizenship test that immigrants must.
You might want to rethink that one a little. How may times have we heard that high-stakes testing tests nothing more than one's ability to take a test?
Old 14th October 2019, 04:04 AM   #39
MetalPig
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97.
Some prime examples. Well done
Old 14th October 2019, 05:32 AM   #40
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Why? Do you think you might fail the test?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics