ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , psychics

Old 20th October 2019, 09:28 AM   #1
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

My reading by a "psychic".

A couple of evenings ago, I went with 2 friends to visit some really interesting little shops downtown. At one point, while looking around a costume store, we were approached by a woman who told us she was a psychic and would like to "read" us. The first reading was free, with the hope of us wanting more then 12 minutes, it would cost $25 for the next 12 minutes. No thank you. But she did a reading of us individually.

It was difficult to not laugh. Her appearance was out of central casting. She was decked out in loose, India-style garb, a shawl with moons and stars draped her arms. She spoke in woo.

It started out bad and continued to get worse. She told me that my partner killed himself because he couldn't deal with his intense jealousy. John was the least jealous person I know.

Yes, she told me, he visited me every morning, early, because "that was his favorite time of day." He hated early mornings.

OH!!! And, I will be coming into money!!! When I receive it, I promise everyone here that I will buy your drinks!
Old 20th October 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

The less information you give them (even by nodding or raising an eyebrow), the less accurate the readings will be.*

*Provided they weren't expecting you. If they knew you were coming, they'd have had time to do some research and it's amazing what even a half-hearted sleuthing will reveal.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

She told me that my partner killed himself
Did you tell her this? otherwise how did she know?
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 10:12 AM   #4
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I gave her that information.
Old 20th October 2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

That's a lot of information in the hands of a vaguely-intelligent cold reader.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 09:06 AM   #6
8enotto
Graduate Poster

All positive, happy predictions. A Vegas odds chance at more hits. No smart medium or charlatan will come off saying someone near you was a rotten, mean bastard that did horrible things to you. Happy people are more expressive, give away more clues.

If like in this case she is street trolling for suckers it is important she lay out as much good as possible.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

A couple of evenings ago, I went with 2 friends to visit some really interesting little shops downtown. At one point, while looking around a costume store, we were approached by a woman who told us she was a psychic and would like to "read" us. The first reading was free, with the hope of us wanting more then 12 minutes, it would cost $25 for the next 12 minutes. No thank you. But she did a reading of us individually.

It was difficult to not laugh. Her appearance was out of central casting. She was decked out in loose, India-style garb, a shawl with moons and stars draped her arms. She spoke in woo.

It started out bad and continued to get worse. She told me that my partner killed himself because he couldn't deal with his intense jealousy. John was the least jealous person I know.

Yes, she told me, he visited me every morning, early, because "that was his favorite time of day." He hated early mornings.

OH!!! And, I will be coming into money!!! When I receive it, I promise everyone here that I will buy your drinks!
Did you inform her of her misses in real-time to see her try to adjust?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 11:13 AM   #8
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Did you inform her of her misses in real-time to see her try to adjust?
Yes. Something she said was so outrageously wrong, that when I laughed and said it was wrong, she scrambled hard to make excuses to try and make it fit.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:41 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes. Something she said was so outrageously wrong, that when I laughed and said it was wrong, she scrambled hard to make excuses to try and make it fit.
Seeing them squirm is priceless.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 12:48 PM   #10
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Seeing them squirm is priceless.
Each time she realized that she had a horrendous miss, she went into a type of trance, said, "ommmmmmommmmommmm", closed her eyes, fluttered her hands, and tried again. It was delightfully fun, I must admit.

I have always been told that I have a good poker face. (And, I'm a good poker player.) So other then what was verbal, I know this confused her.
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:21 AM   #11
steenkh
Philosopher

Wasapi, how did your friends react to the readings?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:11 AM   #12
curious cat
Critical Thinker

To start with, I am a sceptic. As such, I am looking at "fortunetellers" with a mixture of amusement and contempt, so no wonder I visited one only once - for fun. It was purely impulsive, there no way she could have know me (different town) and I didn't take somebody's referral, booked my visit beforehand, told her my name or did anything else what would possibly serve as a source of information to her - I just walked in from the street.
All went as expected - she told me a few general things that could apply just to about anybody. But then she said: "In a few months you will put on a uniform." Normally it would be just another "guess" a child would make - I was very obviously of a conscript age and army service was compulsory in my country. But, without missing a beat she continued: "But it will be only a working uniform." And she was right. In order to dodge the army service I signed up with the railways by what I became an "essential worker". That gave an exemption from the army conscription. Never worked out how how she could know that... Go figure.

Last edited by curious cat; 22nd October 2019 at 01:13 AM.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:31 AM   #13
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
All went as expected - she told me a few general things that could apply just to about anybody. But then she said: "In a few months you will put on a uniform." Normally it would be just another "guess" a child would make - I was very obviously of a conscript age and army service was compulsory in my country.
Was she looking at your face when she said it? If you were prepared, not much later, to make career choices specifically to avoid compulsory army service, you probably already had some fairly strong feelings about it. My guess would be that, as you said, she could make a good guess that you'd be called up fairly soon, and that taking up "essential worker" occupations, many of which would involve wearing a uniform, wasn't exactly uncommon at the time. So she had a fairly likely prediction ready to pull out, and a fallback position if your reaction to it looked skeptical or dismissive. When you reacted unfavourably to the suggestion that you'd join the army, she was ready, and...

[...] without missing a beat she continued: "But it will be only a working uniform." And she was right. In order to dodge the army service I signed up with the railways by what I became an "essential worker". That gave an exemption from the army conscription. Never worked out how how she could know that... Go figure.
She played the odds, had a bit of luck with a carefully prepared double play, and you remember the one hit and forget all the misses.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:23 AM   #14
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Was she looking at your face when she said it? If you were prepared, not much later, to make career choices specifically to avoid compulsory army service, you probably already had some fairly strong feelings about it. My guess would be that, as you said, she could make a good guess that you'd be called up fairly soon, and that taking up "essential worker" occupations, many of which would involve wearing a uniform, wasn't exactly uncommon at the time. So she had a fairly likely prediction ready to pull out, and a fallback position if your reaction to it looked skeptical or dismissive. When you reacted unfavourably to the suggestion that you'd join the army, she was ready, and...

She played the odds, had a bit of luck with a carefully prepared double play, and you remember the one hit and forget all the misses.

Dave
This and the fact that it most probably did not play out exactly as curious cat recalls from memory.

Also, No2 uniform could be described as a working uniform, there is enough ambiguity to make a connection.

Also, no offence (I mean that) but you might just not look like army material and she picked up on that.
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:44 AM   #15
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Talking

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This and the fact that it most probably did not play out exactly as curious cat recalls from memory.

Also, No2 uniform could be described as a working uniform, there is enough ambiguity to make a connection.

Also, no offence (I mean that) but you might just not look like army material and she picked up on that.
The explanation you offered came to my mind as the the only logical explanation. But, it has holes. The only thing she could read from my reaction (if there was any) was, she was wrong with me going in the army. But, there could be more reasons for it like being politically unreliable, being medically unfit, entering another level of studying, having some influential uncle - the only case involving uniform was actually the least likely - and she hit the nail on the head. Could be a chance, of course, but still makes me wondering...
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:00 AM   #16
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

The explanation you offered came to my mind as the the only logical explanation. But, it has holes. The only thing she could read from my reaction (if there was any) was, she was wrong with me going in the army. But, there could be more reasons for it like being politically unreliable, being medically unfit, entering another level of studying, having some influential uncle - the only case involving uniform was actually the least likely - and she hit the nail on the head. Could be a chance, of course, but still makes me wondering...
Look at it as her playing a percentages game. Some fairly high percentage of people your age would have been drafted within the very vague timescale of "a few months," so that's a reasonable guess to throw out. If it hits, she's impressed you. If it misses and she catches on that it's an obvious miss, then some percentage of the remaining people will at some time get a job that involves some kind of uniform, so she picks up a few more hits, and makes it look more specific, so she's impressed you a bit more. It's not like jobs with uniforms are all that rare; you could have been serving in McDonald's or making up pills in a pharmacy or driving a delivery truck any time up to about two years later and that would have looked like a hit. She's left you with the impression that she predicted you'd get a job on the railways to avoid military service, when in fact she predicted not one single part of that.

And she doesn't have to get a hit with everyone with that particular shot, because the misses will be forgotten (how many of the incorrect things she said to you do you actually remember?) and people will recall something else that happened to be a lucky guess.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:36 AM   #17
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Look at it as her playing a percentages game. Some fairly high percentage of people your age would have been drafted within the very vague timescale of "a few months," so that's a reasonable guess to throw out. If it hits, she's impressed you. If it misses and she catches on that it's an obvious miss, then some percentage of the remaining people will at some time get a job that involves some kind of uniform, so she picks up a few more hits, and makes it look more specific, so she's impressed you a bit more. It's not like jobs with uniforms are all that rare; you could have been serving in McDonald's or making up pills in a pharmacy or driving a delivery truck any time up to about two years later and that would have looked like a hit. She's left you with the impression that she predicted you'd get a job on the railways to avoid military service, when in fact she predicted not one single part of that.

And she doesn't have to get a hit with everyone with that particular shot, because the misses will be forgotten (how many of the incorrect things she said to you do you actually remember?) and people will recall something else that happened to be a lucky guess.

Dave
I am sure it is the case. But by all means it shows the skills some of these charlatans have. No wonder so many people get fooled ;-).
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:42 AM   #18
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=steenkh;12864572]Wasapi, how did your friends react to the readings?[/QUOTE

It was interesting. ~The one friend who is quite woo-ish, says she is "not open to talk about the reading yet" because she needs "to process it". (Figure out how to make it fit?) But it had to do with her "teleporting to an island". OK.

The other friend, more rational, thought the psychic was 'full of it'. She focused her reading on how my friend wanted change in her life. My friend stated, "Doesn't everyone want a change?"
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:58 PM   #19
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post

What a pity, I think Scorpion thought a hit was scored here.
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:02 PM   #20
Thor 2
Philosopher

[quote=wasapi;12865188]
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Wasapi, how did your friends react to the readings?[/QUOTE

It was interesting. ~The one friend who is quite woo-ish, says she is "not open to talk about the reading yet" because she needs "to process it". (Figure out how to make it fit?) But it had to do with her "teleporting to an island". OK.

The other friend, more rational, thought the psychic was 'full of it'. She focused her reading on how my friend wanted change in her life. My friend stated, "Doesn't everyone want a change?"

Did this psychic appear to be popular? Was there a waiting room full of clients?
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:41 PM   #21
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Thor 2;12867147]

Did this psychic appear to be popular? Was there a waiting room full of clients?
No. From what I gathered, she came to this shop once a month, and the shop owner did a low-key, local advertising, though mostly it was word of mouth. We saw her as soon as we entered, and as we were leaving, 2 or 3 other people were waiting to have readings done.

For one evening a month, giving readings at a starting price of $25, she could easily bring in $300. I don't know, but assume, she does her 'gig' at other places in town. She could be bringing home a couple of thousand or more, a month.
Old 11th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #22
Cris
Banned

is there hot reading?
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 03:34 PM   #23
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cris View Post
is there hot reading?
Yes. Why do you ask?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 04:03 PM   #24
Cris
Banned

I want to know.
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 04:46 PM   #25
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I want to know.
OK Hot reading is a very well known technique among so called psychics. It is used to collect information before a reading in order to give the appearance of psychic ability on the part of the psychic. It is trivially easy. Yet people still fall for it. And have been caught doing it. Hell, I have done it, albeit in an entertainment context and not to make money. It has become a tradition that I perform some mind bending act of magic post christmas dinner every year. I never reveal how I really did the apparently impossible feat. It always amazes, and it often requires hot reading. It's a hobby. And it annoys my kids when I do it, because I wont even tell them how it is done.

They all know up front that it is entirely mundane and I make no money from it. It is entirely for fun. A christmas party piece, if you will.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 04:50 PM   #26
Cris
Banned

an example of hot reading and cold reading?
Old 11th November 2019, 05:10 PM   #27
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Hot reading is when I look you up on Facebook before your reading, find out that your father's name is Mike and that he's deceased, and then during the reading telling you that I'm receiving messages from your deceased father Mike.

Cold reading is when during the reading I tell you that I'm getting a message from someone in the beyond with an M name, or perhaps N, perhaps Nick, or Mark, or Mike and then you tell me that's your deceased father's name.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 11th November 2019 at 05:12 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 05:11 PM   #28
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I really believe it was cold reading. A friend who she also 'read', was told an architect, an attractive man would be in her life. The friend very much wants a boyfriend, and that was picked up on with a little intuition.

Nope. He hasn't shown up yet.
Old 11th November 2019, 05:13 PM   #29
Cris
Banned

have other examples?

Last edited by Cris; 11th November 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11th November 2019, 05:14 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

is there warm reading?
You might describe a performance that uses elements of both hot and cold reading as a warm reading, but generally no. Hot reading and cold reading are specific techniques that the performer uses to create the illusion of being psychic.
Old 11th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #31
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I can read Tarot cards to a stranger accurately, apparently. I can cast astrological birth charts for a person I have never even seen, also apparently accurately. I can dowse by pendulum or traditional twig. Sight unseen, I am rated spot on. And there is a method behind that. That is cold reading. One knows nothing aforehand. It might seem odd to you, but it has a methodology that always works.

Warm reading is different in that one has a working awareness of at least some detail of the intended mark. And one simply "blends" that in to a straight cold reading because one is equipped with foreknowledge that the recipient and audience thinks you cannot possibly know.

Hot reading entails finding hard facts about the recipient beforehand, and then revealing those facts as a matter of awe and astonishment. It is actively invasive and I don't much care for it. Particularly when practitioners pretend that it is real. I make a point of that. It is merely a puzzle to attempt to work out how I carried off the seemingly impossible, it is not an invitation to imagine that all of the various superstitions have any reality.

Old 12th November 2019, 12:18 AM   #32
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Some mediums plant people in the audience who strike up conversations with people in the next seat or the queue for the loos - "hi, I'm hoping to get a message from my dead husband, is there anyone you'd like to hear from?" - and then pass everything they learn back to the medium for use during the performance. There was also one who kept every letter sent to her by desperate bereaved people organised by location, and then sent free tickets to the ones who'd given her useful information about their dead loved ones the next time she gave a performance in that town. Those are both examples of hot reading.

Cold reading is basically making intelligent guesses and reading body language.
Old 13th November 2019, 07:26 AM   #33
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
The movie "Leap of Faith' from a few years back gave good examples of some techniques. Dramatized, of course, but not too far outside what's done for some of the big shows and similar.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal