ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Reply
Old 12th March 2019, 02:34 PM   #1441
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,030
Bart Cutino estimates that there are 6,000-7,000 Bigfoots living in North America. Also he has a Bigfoot tattoo.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 05:02 PM   #1442
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,145
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Bart Cutino estimates that there are 6,000-7,000 Bigfoots living in North America. Also he has a Bigfoot tattoo.
What is the optimal population assertion for the alternate reality gamer?

Why not a million? Obviously, you need a number that makes breeding possible but also a number that escapes notice for over ten millenia.

Therefore, the further away your assertion is from the lowest necessary breeding population, the less attractive it is strategically. Someone is going to notice a million bigfoot, aren't they Mr. Cutino.

This is genius in the world of alternate reality gaming.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 05:22 PM   #1443
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,030
Daniel Perez estimates 100,000 Bigfoots in North America.

I don't think these numbers matter much at all. I mean, I don't think that anyone in Bigfootery rejects or shuns these guys because of their estimates.

A non-believer could say that Perez is crazy for giving that huge unrealistic number. But then it's crazy to believe in Bigfoot in the first place. How much worse is it when you pile a crazy on a crazy?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 07:21 PM   #1444
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,145
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Daniel Perez estimates 100,000 Bigfoots in North America.

I don't think these numbers matter much at all. I mean, I don't think that anyone in Bigfootery rejects or shuns these guys because of their estimates.

A non-believer could say that Perez is crazy for giving that huge unrealistic number. But then it's crazy to believe in Bigfoot in the first place. How much worse is it when you pile a crazy on a crazy?
Oh yes, I agree wholeheartedly from an informed skeptical position, the belief of existence is ridiculous. Preposterous.

As usual, I spent seven years researching this subject eight hours a day since you posted this and came up with this article:

https://cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-repo...north-america/

The range is from 500 to 100,000. Wonderful! (Raw Data!) The ones at the lower end, like Merldumb, have a lot to lose by something as wild as the far end.

Binderdingle puts it at several thousand. I submit he has less credibility to defend. Regardless, it is as I said in the thousands instead of millions.

Perez, I don't know of him but I'll put my model to the test. He is not going to have a University position or PhD or employment position put at risk with this claim.

The deer population is 30 million. Half a million bison. About the same with Elk. 55,000 grizzlies. 30,000 cougars. 10,000 strip clubs, my own continental estimate.

The claims of people thought of as the most credible are even lower than I thought - I think the field standard has to be Merldumb, right?

Only 500-750 with him.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 07:47 PM   #1445
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,664
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Daniel Perez estimates 100,000 Bigfoots in North America.

I don't think these numbers matter much at all. I mean, I don't think that anyone in Bigfootery rejects or shuns these guys because of their estimates.

(Snip)
I think he recently changed his estimate to 99,999. He accidentally counted Cutino's tattoo.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:54 PM   #1446
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,145
I have never seen a test with statistics of this magnitude.

I did indeed look up this Daniel Perez. The first article I came upon, obviously a sign from the Creator:

https://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/perez-mic/

Quote:
Perez is known to many as the “Jerry Springer” of Bigfootry for the rumors he prints in his BigfootTimes newsletter and the fights he’s refereed at conferences
He is, or was a licensed union electrician. Well, that certainly is the first thing you are looking for in a serious bigfoot researcher. People with licenses. Not just anybody.

That's why I come here. To see this in real time, to participate in this vital research. Peeling back the foreskins of science.

So this figure of 100,000 comes from the Jerry Springer of Bigfootery. By their own accounting.

It is heartwarming to see a three-month drop-out at Humboldt State come roaring back as a bigfoot researcher. With such a compelling number.

I have to admit there is a quote from Merldumb about him being such a detail-oriented person. Like how he came up with the 100,000 number.

The number itself is a detail, is it not? Q.E.D.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:02 PM   #1447
8enotto
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 388
Does all this non action on the side of bf hunters and the like stop every winter into just a bunch of goofs guessing stuff and working on the books?

If one were to go looking the snow would be a benefit to finding tracks and scat.

Of course the track record of finding anything is a big fat zero but why not increase your chances if you really believe this tripe?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:34 PM   #1448
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,990
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Does all this non action on the side of bf hunters and the like stop every winter into just a bunch of goofs guessing stuff and working on the books?

If one were to go looking the snow would be a benefit to finding tracks and scat.
It's too cold and Jim brought the wrong boots.

Quote:
Of course the track record of finding anything is a big fat zero but why not increase your chances if you really believe this tripe?
Aye, there's the rub.
__________________
Science is no match for its dreaded foe: Idiots!

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:22 AM   #1449
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,931
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Does all this non action on the side of bf hunters and the like stop every winter into just a bunch of goofs guessing stuff and working on the books?

If one were to go looking the snow would be a benefit to finding tracks and scat.

Of course the track record of finding anything is a big fat zero but why not increase your chances if you really believe this tripe?
Yes, I brought this up on BFF many years ago. I laid out a winter strategy for the Footers. I basically stole the idea from a cougar hunting article I had read.
The strategy involves taking snowmobiles and blanketing every snowmobile trail in an area until one of the searchers discovers a trackway crossing the trail. Then brings everyone in, and they follow the trail to a Bigfoot.

This is a known cougar hunting strategy.

Unfortunately, Bigfoot hibernates, at least that's what they told me when I brought it up.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:51 AM   #1450
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,664
Cougars have the unfair advantage of being real.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:14 PM   #1451
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,931
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Cougars have the unfair advantage of being real.
Plus they don't hibernate.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:11 PM   #1452
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,707
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Cougars have the unfair advantage of being real.
Playing the reality card, man. That's just not fair!
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:45 PM   #1453
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,846
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Does all this non action on the side of bf hunters and the like stop every winter into just a bunch of goofs guessing stuff and working on the books?

If one were to go looking the snow would be a benefit to finding tracks and scat.

Of course the track record of finding anything is a big fat zero but why not increase your chances if you really believe this tripe?
Tracks are found in the snow. Now on to the environmental DNA collection and testing.

Chris B.
__________________
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:57 PM   #1454
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,707
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Tracks are found in the snow. Now on to the environmental DNA collection and testing.
Will Melba be involved in this paradigm-shattering work?
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:34 PM   #1455
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,846
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Will Melba be involved in this paradigm-shattering work?
I don't know, you could always ask her.

Chris B.
__________________
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:16 PM   #1456
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,707
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I don't know, you could always ask her.
That's not going to happen. I have a long and tawdry history with crazy women, but perhaps I'm saying too much.

My point is that there's no decent evidence, and there never will be. Tell all the stories you want. It's funny. Bigfoot is a joke. Learn to live with that.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 02:01 PM   #1457
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,965
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
That's not going to happen. I have a long and tawdry history with crazy women, but perhaps I'm saying too much.

My point is that there's no decent evidence, and there never will be. Tell all the stories you want. It's funny. Bigfoot is a joke. Learn to live with that.
I basically reached the peak of caring about Bigfoot stuff.

I'm finally now seeing what everyone else saw when I'd jokingly bring up the subject over a drink, why the hell are you even interested in this crap?

It's not even entertaining anymore.

The few remaining no-hopers who're out in the woods, knocking on trees, aren't even that interested anymore, they just want to have something to do when their WiFi is down and they're unable to play on their PS4.

Between 2008 and 2012'ish, was a glorious time to be interested in the subject, as it was full of nonsense science, hoaxes, funny characters and mild public interest... At this point, it's like the difference between 1970's Gene Simmons and the Gene Simmons of 2019. The former was a mildly exciting yet deluded prospect, while the latter is just a tired scrotum-skinned joke that is as worn-out as a solitary glove that has been left to rot on a spiked fence in an abandoned street in a rundown town.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 02:15 PM   #1458
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,145
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
if you really believe this tripe?
We developed an acronym: Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Gaming. BLAARGing.

They don't belive, which is confirmed countless times over by their behavior.

People who want to find things go look for them not just in sensible ways, but the same way people have looked for them the last ten millenia.

We know how to find, hunt, trap, or tag every animal in North America. Nobody knows how to find a bigfoot because they don't exist and the people pretending to look for them are alternate reality gaming.

At this time of year in rural Alaska we are yarding in logs, preferably by snow machine because you are nimble and leave no footprint. You don't want to make big trails because that just invites in retards.

If you can imagine impenetrable creek-bottoms so thick with prickers, willow browse, and tussocks impossible to walk on now covered in snow and ice. The water seeps out from the sides of the terrain and flows on top of the existing ice, we call it "overflow". Exposed to air, it freezes.

So you have tens of millions of acres you can now whiz along in with modified deep-snow skiis on your snow machine (the cretins in the south call them snowmobiles).

I drag home logs to heat the place with, I have a tricked-out 'dozer that can do unbelievable things too, dozens of miles out in the wilderness. But for my own wood I just go on a little ski-doo tundra II. With a quart of gas I can bring home a half-ton log, it's just ridiculous what you can skid in the winter.

No animal stands a chance with you on a snow machine. I never go more than about 20 and prefer putzing along at half that. You are going to miss chaga and standing dead trees, prints of every animal, all kinds of things if you go fast.

These animals, like moose or caribou for example, if you get one in front of you on a trail trying to run away from you then the next 20 minutes is shot, you might need to shut the engine off and sit for a while, this is an IQ = zero situation, a scared animal overwhelmed by your speed and agility. You can drive right by them and whack them with a willow switch on the nose if you want.

The wolves try to herd them out on the ice. Because their hooves won't grip and they can't keep their footing. Same thing with a snow machine, the poor things. You can see how terrified they are, in their eyes when they slip and fall down.

You don't want to stress them. So you have to think about how to get around them with no drama. Generally, approaching obliquely works: Never head straight at them, don't look directly at them. You have some vitally important thing off yonder, and you are determined to get straight there and waste no time with Mr. Moose or a herd of caribou.

They're going to stand and watch. The caribou are so stupid they'll form up a line and follow you, lol. What's he doing? Is there food over there? But if you so much as stop and look at them, they're going to bolt.

It's all so sensible, if you cross a decent-sized creek bottom there's going to be tracks of every animal working it for food and fresh water. It is soooo easy to tell how long a track has been there. The freshest tracks: you can blow on the little particles of snow all around them and those particles will blow away with the slightest breath.

They'll start adhering in 15 minutes or so, then you flick at the bigger particles with a finger to see how solid it is sticking. Any sun on it for a couple hours and the definition really erodes, there's all kinds of information in a print.

Sometimes they'll bleed through a dry crack in a foot, just a little speck every 4th print on an animal. That one is going to move slower so you target him if you are a wolf. You see these stories play out before you when you are working in the woods. A bloody print, wolves pick it up, they get him out on the ice and behold half the carcass is eaten and the other half is melting into the ice because the sun is shining on the dark fur.

These wolves, really interesting animals. They'll follow each other in exactly the same set of prints, saving energy and minimizing their sneaky little approach profile. Then you'll see two sets of prints split off from what appears to be just one set of wolf tracks. Instead it's three animals now splitting off to corner a moose.

It's like having super powers. Being on a modified snow machine, built for the wilderness, at this time of year. Until you go through the ice. Then you are the stupidest person who ever lived. Again, god damn it. Why do you do this to yourself. It is going to kill you. It is trying to kill you right now!

Hahahaha! That's why BLAARGers aren't out there. The more awesome your supercub is or your airboat or your snow machine, the more trouble it is going to get you into. I was up in the Alaska Range, going in by snow machine to a cabin, there's three big river crossings, over 60 miles.

I come across this snow machine track, and it is headed up into a glaciated area, and it's remarkably fresh. I think why not see what this guy is up to. In no time, up on the glacier, I see his track headed straight for a big crevasse. On the other side is the impact site, his machine hit the ice and went down. He tumbled on top of the snow on the other side.

Then his footprints went down into the crevasse, he had swept a bunch of snow down it to make a kind of ramp.

I looked down as I crested it with my skiis, and there he was. Drunk. Busted skiis, brilliant black and green gargantua snow machine, one of these crotch-rocket things.

He had a rope and I actually did tow him out. He was so ****-faced he could not stand up in the snow. But he had a matching green and black outfit and helmet to go with his machine.

I am not sure where he came from, that thing probably did a hundred miles an hour so this is what I mean by having super powers. He's probably dead, a Darwin Award, I don't recall a missing person report after that. But it is easily feasible he roared up 70 miles of river and when he got on top of that snowfield, the glacier field, he opened her up.

I can fly! lol. Yes, he is going to jump this crevasse in that crotch rocket. Invincible!

If I had not happened across his tracks, he'd definitely be dead. Too drunk to walk a mile in the snow, but in perfect shape for a 70 mile blast downriver to his truck and drive it home drunk too. That's what our technology can do now.

No animal can do that. A human can do it drunk. It makes the myth of bigfoot so absurd, to be out there in the wilderness with these super-powers and see everything except any sign of bigfoot.

You can't BLAARG there because it is self-evident they don't exist. A story needs to be told explaining that. Hibernation theory just makes matters worse. Then you have them dead to rights. Natives speared one-ton polar bears that way.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 09:54 PM   #1459
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,846
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
That's not going to happen. I have a long and tawdry history with crazy women, but perhaps I'm saying too much.

My point is that there's no decent evidence, and there never will be. Tell all the stories you want. It's funny. Bigfoot is a joke. Learn to live with that.
I don't have any Bigfoot stories, jokes, or evidence to share with you.
Remaining skeptical is a good thing.

Chris B.
__________________
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 09:57 PM   #1460
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,846
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
We developed an acronym: Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Gaming. BLAARGing.

They don't belive, which is confirmed countless times over by their behavior.

People who want to find things go look for them not just in sensible ways, but the same way people have looked for them the last ten millenia.

We know how to find, hunt, trap, or tag every animal in North America. Nobody knows how to find a bigfoot because they don't exist and the people pretending to look for them are alternate reality gaming.

At this time of year in rural Alaska we are yarding in logs, preferably by snow machine because you are nimble and leave no footprint. You don't want to make big trails because that just invites in retards.

If you can imagine impenetrable creek-bottoms so thick with prickers, willow browse, and tussocks impossible to walk on now covered in snow and ice. The water seeps out from the sides of the terrain and flows on top of the existing ice, we call it "overflow". Exposed to air, it freezes.

So you have tens of millions of acres you can now whiz along in with modified deep-snow skiis on your snow machine (the cretins in the south call them snowmobiles).

I drag home logs to heat the place with, I have a tricked-out 'dozer that can do unbelievable things too, dozens of miles out in the wilderness. But for my own wood I just go on a little ski-doo tundra II. With a quart of gas I can bring home a half-ton log, it's just ridiculous what you can skid in the winter.

No animal stands a chance with you on a snow machine. I never go more than about 20 and prefer putzing along at half that. You are going to miss chaga and standing dead trees, prints of every animal, all kinds of things if you go fast.

These animals, like moose or caribou for example, if you get one in front of you on a trail trying to run away from you then the next 20 minutes is shot, you might need to shut the engine off and sit for a while, this is an IQ = zero situation, a scared animal overwhelmed by your speed and agility. You can drive right by them and whack them with a willow switch on the nose if you want.

The wolves try to herd them out on the ice. Because their hooves won't grip and they can't keep their footing. Same thing with a snow machine, the poor things. You can see how terrified they are, in their eyes when they slip and fall down.

You don't want to stress them. So you have to think about how to get around them with no drama. Generally, approaching obliquely works: Never head straight at them, don't look directly at them. You have some vitally important thing off yonder, and you are determined to get straight there and waste no time with Mr. Moose or a herd of caribou.

They're going to stand and watch. The caribou are so stupid they'll form up a line and follow you, lol. What's he doing? Is there food over there? But if you so much as stop and look at them, they're going to bolt.

It's all so sensible, if you cross a decent-sized creek bottom there's going to be tracks of every animal working it for food and fresh water. It is soooo easy to tell how long a track has been there. The freshest tracks: you can blow on the little particles of snow all around them and those particles will blow away with the slightest breath.

They'll start adhering in 15 minutes or so, then you flick at the bigger particles with a finger to see how solid it is sticking. Any sun on it for a couple hours and the definition really erodes, there's all kinds of information in a print.

Sometimes they'll bleed through a dry crack in a foot, just a little speck every 4th print on an animal. That one is going to move slower so you target him if you are a wolf. You see these stories play out before you when you are working in the woods. A bloody print, wolves pick it up, they get him out on the ice and behold half the carcass is eaten and the other half is melting into the ice because the sun is shining on the dark fur.

These wolves, really interesting animals. They'll follow each other in exactly the same set of prints, saving energy and minimizing their sneaky little approach profile. Then you'll see two sets of prints split off from what appears to be just one set of wolf tracks. Instead it's three animals now splitting off to corner a moose.

It's like having super powers. Being on a modified snow machine, built for the wilderness, at this time of year. Until you go through the ice. Then you are the stupidest person who ever lived. Again, god damn it. Why do you do this to yourself. It is going to kill you. It is trying to kill you right now!

Hahahaha! That's why BLAARGers aren't out there. The more awesome your supercub is or your airboat or your snow machine, the more trouble it is going to get you into. I was up in the Alaska Range, going in by snow machine to a cabin, there's three big river crossings, over 60 miles.

I come across this snow machine track, and it is headed up into a glaciated area, and it's remarkably fresh. I think why not see what this guy is up to. In no time, up on the glacier, I see his track headed straight for a big crevasse. On the other side is the impact site, his machine hit the ice and went down. He tumbled on top of the snow on the other side.

Then his footprints went down into the crevasse, he had swept a bunch of snow down it to make a kind of ramp.

I looked down as I crested it with my skiis, and there he was. Drunk. Busted skiis, brilliant black and green gargantua snow machine, one of these crotch-rocket things.

He had a rope and I actually did tow him out. He was so ****-faced he could not stand up in the snow. But he had a matching green and black outfit and helmet to go with his machine.

I am not sure where he came from, that thing probably did a hundred miles an hour so this is what I mean by having super powers. He's probably dead, a Darwin Award, I don't recall a missing person report after that. But it is easily feasible he roared up 70 miles of river and when he got on top of that snowfield, the glacier field, he opened her up.

I can fly! lol. Yes, he is going to jump this crevasse in that crotch rocket. Invincible!

If I had not happened across his tracks, he'd definitely be dead. Too drunk to walk a mile in the snow, but in perfect shape for a 70 mile blast downriver to his truck and drive it home drunk too. That's what our technology can do now.

No animal can do that. A human can do it drunk. It makes the myth of bigfoot so absurd, to be out there in the wilderness with these super-powers and see everything except any sign of bigfoot.

You can't BLAARG there because it is self-evident they don't exist. A story needs to be told explaining that. Hibernation theory just makes matters worse. Then you have them dead to rights. Natives speared one-ton polar bears that way.
I'd like to read more about you life experiences in Alaska. You should write a book. Share your wilderness experiences with those in the lower 48. I'd buy one as I enjoy reading your posts/experiences.

Chris B.
__________________
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 10:06 PM   #1461
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,990
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The few remaining no-hopers who're out in the woods, knocking on trees, aren't even that interested anymore, they just want to have something to do when their WiFi is down and they're unable to play on their PS4.
No-hopers, that's a chuckle; dead-enders is descriptive as well. There are a few of them left, car-camping in second and third-growth hardwoods, pretending it's wilderness, pretending that every knock, every blurry blob, every Good-N-Plenty is footie, or footie evidence. As I've opined before, it's playground pretend, and pretty much boring at that anymore.
__________________
Science is no match for its dreaded foe: Idiots!

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 10:07 PM   #1462
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,990
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I'd like to read more about you life experiences in Alaska. You should write a book. Share your wilderness experiences with those in the lower 48. I'd buy one as I enjoy reading your posts/experiences.

Chris B.
I agree.
__________________
Science is no match for its dreaded foe: Idiots!

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 11:18 AM   #1463
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,850
We come for the Bigfoot banter, we stay for the ABP stories.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 05:47 AM   #1464
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,931
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post

It's like having super powers.
ABP, thanks for the experiences. It's so clear from your experiences that man rules the wilderness. But, we don't need a snow machine, or a bulldozer, or a 30-06 to do that. It reminds me of BFF, where I would explain to the Blargers that Man has been hunting giant dangerous animals for hundreds of thousands of years.

I posted a painting of Native Americans hunting a swimming bull moose, in a birch bark canoe, with flint spears.


I tried to explain that Native Americans were bad ass. They hunted 1800 pound bison, from horseback, with flint arrows or spears. They did it to survive. https://truewestmagazine.com/how-did...itive-weapons/

They would go out in Kayaks and tie into a 30 ton whale.


They would mark bear hibernation caves, and kill bears in the winter for some much needed protein.
Quote:
Inuit deliberately disturbed a hibernating bear by digging it out of the snow; the enraged animal, blinded by the sun, would rush into the flying harpoons or bullets [83]. Tlingit preferred spear that were six to eight feet long with a guard at the base to prevent it from entering the bearís body too far so the hunter would not be within reach of its claws
http://traditionalanimalfoods.org/mammals/bears/

The Native Americans would kill a Bigfoot without a 2nd thought. As mentioned in the above article:
Quote:
But the fact remains that Indians did kill buffalo with such weapons. Much like the Ice Age mammoth hunters must have thought, when you pack that much potential sustenance into one beast, somebody is going to figure out how to kill one of them, and darned efficiently.
Not only would they kill and eat a Bigfoot, but if an 8' tall, 500 pound creature was lurking around their camp, they'd kill it even quicker. They weren't afraid. You hear the stories of these brave Bigfoot hunters, warning about the dangerous snakes, or the bears, or the mosquitos, but the Bigfoot?
Conveniently, they never have to worry about the dangers of the Bigfoot.
Shooting at rustling bushes, or shadows, or noises.

__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 06:51 AM   #1465
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,456
Or trying to get out of the woods before dark....LOL!

Last edited by Cervelo; 19th March 2019 at 06:52 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.