ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th December 2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

YouTube response/debate culture

A bunch of the videos I've watched there, in which a person talks about a debated subject, start off by saying they're responding to a video by someone else.

When it's just two people who want to go back & forth at each other like that, it's easy to see how they'd be aware of each other's responses: they can just subscribe to each other's channels and see the responses pop up in their subscriptions, along with all of each other's other videos.

But it sometimes takes a different form: one person puts out a general request or challenge to whoever wants to answer, and then some number of other people answer. Is there a box the responders fill in when uploading telling YouTube that it's a response to another video, so the original person can get a list of response videos? Does the responder just put a link to the response as a comment under the original along with all of its other comments, and possibly not get it seen by the original person if there are too many other comments? Does the responder just expect that the original will never see it, and offer the response only for other people's consumption?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 05:35 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If you put out a video you can later do a search to see if anyone has put out similar ones. Or someone who wants a response from a certain person can send that person a message.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 05:42 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There's a culture?
Old 1st January 2016, 06:18 PM   #4
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
There's a culture?
Like Ebola in a Petri dish.
Old 3rd April 2017, 04:39 PM   #5
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

well, I've found out something new-to-me about this. I recently watched a video in which the narrator mentioned people responding directly to each other on YouTube "2008 or so, back when YouTube actually had a video response feature". So there was some function that would link originals and responses to each other, and it's been discontinued. I wonder why.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"YouTube", "Debate", and "Culture" in the same thread title. Does Not Compute!
Old 4th April 2017, 07:40 AM   #7
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If you put out a video you can later do a search to see if anyone has put out similar ones. Or someone who wants a response from a certain person can send that person a message.
I didn't realize you could send messages to video authors. You mean besides the comment area, right?
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 03:40 PM   #8
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"YouTube", "Debate", and "Culture" in the same thread title. Does Not Compute!
You just have to retype Culture from a boolean to a signed float, and it compiles. (Assuming you have included <vitrolAsDebate.h> instead of <rationalDebate.h>)
Old 7th April 2017, 07:15 PM   #9
Mumbles
Illuminator

Unfortunately, the third type is obnoxiously common - in which the first person puts out a generally informative video, and the responses are just out-of-context quotes and insults.

In short, people like to gossip. Youtube gives them an opportunity to do so.

As I'm doing now - I contain multitudes.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 03:25 AM   #10
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
well, I've found out something new-to-me about this. I recently watched a video in which the narrator mentioned people responding directly to each other on YouTube "2008 or so, back when YouTube actually had a video response feature". So there was some function that would link originals and responses to each other, and it's been discontinued. I wonder why.
The feature had a 0.0004% click-through rate.

Interestingly, I've also heard people complain when responders do provide links to the original in the description, because then they are flooded with trolls/people that disagree with them.
Old 21st April 2017, 02:52 AM   #11
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

The back-and-forth debates can be very interesting if done honestly.

It's not a new phenomenon, just a new medium.

The reformation started with such an exchange:
Martin Luther nailed his tract to a church door, the pope responded with an open letter. The debate was about theological justifications for Indulgence. The pope failed to come up with a biblical justification for letting people pay off their sins and then spending their money on hookers, and the rest is history.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet