ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Closed Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 06:29 PM   #3321
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
(snip)
I guess I'll end with a question for markie: you've been a fan for over a decade, and know very well what Mills papers, books, etc say. You also know, or could easily confirm, the capabilities and competence of the of the coauthors etc. And you know that not one of them has independently confirmed the existence of hydrinos (etc). Not to mention doing things that will bring them great fame and fortune. Does this concern you at all? Are you puzzled by it?
Of course others have independently confirmed the excess energy of hydrino formation, the spectroscopic evidence of hydrino formation, and the signatures of hydrino or dihydrino or hydrino hydride. You seem to believe that every positive scientific paper / experiment about hydrino has Mills as an author. Such is not the case.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 06:47 PM   #3322
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by markie View Post
Good article. At least we can agree on something.
But your glaring error is assuming Mills is wrong.
How about you complain about the *billions* of *taxpayer* dollars that truly have been squandered on this or that.
There is no "glaring error is assuming Mills is wrong". The simple fact of the matter is that Mills has failed to provide evidence hydrinos exist. Further he has failed to show his BLP units produce energy in some novel way.

I posted that link because it is a rough outline of my research and development. (actually my development part is but a tiny tiny part of a larger effort and all I did was provide a summary of mostly what others have done). There is at least one of those researchers I cited who actually has been awarded a Nobel prize for his work. lead author of IPCC (1998-2000) which earned him the Nobel Peace Prize Certificate. Another won the Buckminster Fuller Challenge 2010
another won the Heinz Awards another the 2012 Conservation Research Award More than one published in Nature

I could go on and on. There are multiple 10 years case studies of working examples in the field from several continents, multiple published independent studies, Literally millions of farmers in the field using one of the many methods I mentioned, setting world records even.......

And yet the evidence for what I proposed is considered slim at best, and needing much more confirmation, mostly anecdotal. I took all kinds of flack in this very forum for suggesting it was all but proven beyond a doubt. A lesson I won't soon forget. Which is why when I wrote that I remembered to say in big bolded letters, It’s still unrecognised by the accepted mainstream, but with recent advancements in biological sciences and agricultural methods, it can no longer be called impossible.

That's the best I can claim. It isn't impossible. Still a long long way before I can claim the consensus is it actually will work.

Compare that with Mills' scam............. and you want to accuse me of assuming? Really?

PS As far as squandered "*billions* of *taxpayer* dollars", Not one thin dime of anyone's money have I seen, period, not angel investors, not government grants, not charity funding, nada zip zero. Kinda insulted by your implication any of that research by me or anyone else I cited would be squandered.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 20th April 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 07:01 PM   #3323
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Of course others have independently confirmed the excess energy of hydrino formation, ....
Of course, markie, that is multiple fantasies based on your assumptions that
  • the excess energy, etc. have no explanation using physics not based on Mills ignorance and delusions and
  • hydrino's exist despite Mills ignorance, delusions and lies about physics in his book.
Part I: 37 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book
Part II: 24 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book
Part III: 18 items of ignorance, delusions and lies in Mills book

12 April 2017 markie: How do beta decay electrons get thru multiple "orbitspheres"? (and other questions and items of ignorance).

And from the same day:
12 April 2017 markie: A 2012 paper showing a Mills lie about spectra and conventional explanations for them (no hydrinos need apply!)
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 07:02 PM   #3324
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

No, I'm calling him mistaken in predicting that the externally validated energy cells could be tweaked and improved sufficiently to make them into a commercial viable product.
The solution seems blatant in that he can demonstrate to the world the possibilities of commercial viability, right now. Today. Or even ten years ago. Or fifteen years ago. Or twenty years ago.

All he has to do is reveal the machine, warts and all, and all the fame and glory will still belong to Mills but then thousands of other minds can put their efforts into making it into a commercial viability.

The reason he doesn't, of course, is that he's greedy. Pure selfishness, nothing more.

And this even grants him the kind of training and background which he does not have; this is no longer a world of shade-tree inventors, which Mills clearly is. Formal training for medicine translates poorly into the world of physics and quantum mechanics.

Good article. At least we can agree on something.
But your glaring error is assuming Mills is wrong.
It isn't an assumption; it's a conclusion based on decades of failure and secrecy.

Quote:
How about you complain about the *billions* of *taxpayer* dollars that truly have been squandered on this or that.
Oh, I do. And I bet good money that others in this thread do too. And? Is this a dodge or a lame attempt to divert attention from a particular scammer?

There is a indeed a chance that Mills is not foreseeing a major obstacle with the SunCell closed, working continuously at high power. We shall see.
A chance Mills is not foreseeing a major obstacle? LOL

Apparently people in this thread have pointed out this major obstacle and they're not the inventors. How could the inventor himself miss such a major obstacle? I thought he had scientists on staff who could have pointed all this out, as well. What happened to them?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 09:15 PM   #3325
Matthew Cline
Muse

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
All he has to do is reveal the machine, warts and all
Not even that. All he has to do is give samples of hydrino gas to some chemists for analysis.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:41 PM   #3326
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Several profoundly different prototypes from the 1990s to the the 2010s were validated by outside scientists to produce significant amounts of excess energy for days or even weeks.
If you could provide the references? (Hint none of the ones so far provide support for your claim.)
Old 20th April 2017, 10:43 PM   #3327
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You strangely assume the four validation reports are all there is to it. That's only the tip of the iceberg.

For instance google one of the validators - Dr. Ramanujachary of Rowan university, with hydrino and NMR and you will see that he and Dr. Janssen have detected NMR upshifts, indicating hydrino.

Calorimetry is easy with the large excess energy amounts from hydrino formation. Add to this the various types of calorimetry that have been used, and add to this the power spectroscopy results, and add to this that hydrino itself is detected by various techniques, and the case for hydrino is firmly established from multiple angles of investigation.
And add this to the claims made by Mills to provide samples of hydrinos yet he never has done so.

Why not?
Old 20th April 2017, 10:46 PM   #3328
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yes it would be cheaper of course.

Well sure, give people in undeveloped electric stoves, electric pumps, electric refrigeration, etc and then you'll be getting there.

Why are you at odds with what Mills has publicly claimed is a huge benefit of his approach to power generation?
Old 20th April 2017, 10:52 PM   #3329
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Cline View Post
Not even that. All he has to do is give samples of hydrino gas to some chemists for analysis.
Which is something he used to offer, but for some reason it is no longer being offered..... Perhaps too many people took him at his word and asked for a sample?
Old 20th April 2017, 11:06 PM   #3330
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The validation reports have been published on BLP's website over time. Check out http://brilliantlightpower.com/validation-reports/ for the more recent ones.
If there had been real validation it would have been many times repeated and through various methods. The scientific world would be abuzz with new research, hydrinos would be a hot keyword accross journals and mainstream media, and people would be getting Nobels. Bullcrap.

Are you underestimating the impact of such a discovery?

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 20th April 2017 at 11:08 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 11:14 PM   #3331
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Several profoundly different prototypes from the 1990s to the the 2010s were validated by outside scientists to produce significant amounts of excess energy for days or even weeks.
How was this world shattering story suppressed?

And for 20 years, too?

It's got to be the biggest science news of the last 50 years at least, and it's worldwide great news.

It literally frees everyone on Earth from most energy expenses.

Yet I have to fumble around for a while with Google to find even vague information about it.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 12:56 AM   #3332
Aber
Muse

If true, then these would be a basis for a commercial prototype.

Please provide the evidence to support these claims.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 01:10 AM   #3333
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

For instance google one of the validators - Dr. Ramanujachary of Rowan university, with hydrino and NMR and you will see that he and Dr. Janssen have detected NMR upshifts, indicating hydrino.
You're claiming this validation, the onus is on you to cite anything you think is relevant, not to point people to google.
Old 21st April 2017, 01:51 AM   #3334
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

There is a indeed a chance that Mills is not foreseeing a major obstacle with the SunCell closed, working continuously at high power. We shall see.
You see, this is the absolute deal killer for investors. Even if Mills's scientifically impossible theories are correct, he's got a solid track record of failure, and thirty years of excuses. And even you, his most strident cheerleader, can't find anything more positive to say than that you think it'll all be different this time. Nobody in their right mind, knowing Mills's record, would invest a penny in his latest pipedream even if there were solid science behind it.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 21st April 2017 at 01:52 AM.
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 02:02 AM   #3335
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
You see, this is the absolute deal killer for investors. Even if Mills's scientifically impossible theories are correct, he's got a solid track record of failure, and thirty years of excuses. And even you, his most strident cheerleader, can't find anything more positive to say than that you think it'll all be different this time. Nobody in their right mind, knowing Mills's record, would invest a penny in his latest pipedream even if there were solid science behind it.

Dave
Hard to do that when he removes so much previously published material and hides his entire site from search engines....
Old 21st April 2017, 02:16 AM   #3336
Matthew Cline
Muse

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
You see, this is the absolute deal killer for investors.
Except that BLP got $10 million last year from investors. It should be a deal killer, but it isn't.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:12 AM   #3337
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You're claiming this validation, the onus is on you to cite anything you think is relevant, not to point people to google.
...and you've been on the game for long enough to know where the evidence is, if there was evidence?
Old 21st April 2017, 05:19 AM   #3338
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Cline View Post
Except that BLP got $10 million last year from investors. It should be a deal killer, but it isn't.
Are we sure all this investor money over the years is real?

It seems like one or two would have complained about the total lack of results.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 05:44 AM   #3339
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Mills was pushing a laser system for Blu-Ray players in 2003, and claimed he would have a prototype in 2003. I know he has some sort of vague laser patent, but it does not seem suitable for blu-ray type applications.

http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/a...-light-special

Quote:
When the kinks are worked out, blue lasers will likely be the heart of next-generation DVDs, CDs, printers and scanners. Having shorter wavelengths than their red brethren, they can etch more data on a disc. It's the optical equivalent of taking a sharper pencil to paper.

But manufacturing flaws have plagued the emerging technology. The standard way to generate blue laser light is to run an electric current through a crystal or chemical. Excited electrons in the substrates then emit blue light rays. Trouble is, the substrates tend to crack under extreme heat, a glitch that ruins up to a third of all batches. And the solutions are pricey.

Liquids, however, don't crack. Enter the world's first water-based blue laser. Researchers at BlackLight Power heated water vapor with microwaves to generate
energized hydrogen atoms which
emit multispectrum light rays, including infrared, blue and violet. A prototype blue laser device is expected by the end of the year.

The team says such a multispectrum laser light could be miniaturized to micron dimensions for many microelectronic applications. "A hydrogen laser may prove to be the most useful of all," says Randell Mills, BlackLight Power's CEO.

Old 21st April 2017, 05:55 AM   #3340
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Mills was pushing a laser system for Blu-Ray players in 2003, and claimed he would have a prototype in 2003. I know he has some sort of vague laser patent, but it does not seem suitable for blu-ray type applications.
Funny how Mills's commercial applications are always a few months away, isn't it? Of course his cheerleaders can say that blue semiconductor lasers took up the market niche so comprehensively that his water laser could never break into the market, but for a disruptive technology that's supposed to be cheaper and more reliable than the technological alternatives that's still a total and utter failure.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 06:07 AM   #3341
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Brilliant Light has solved the theory, confirmed Hydrino reaction products by many analytical techniques, and identified Hydrino as the pervasive dark matter of the universe. The SunCell® was invented and engineered to harness this clean energy source of optical power of thousands of Sun equivalents that can be directly converted to electrical output using commercial photovoltaic cells. SunCell® technology is under rapid development for commercialization. Prototypes are already continuously producing hundreds of thousands of watts of light that is ideal for concentrator photovoltaic conversion being engineered and fabricated at leading photovoltaic (PV) companies. The performance to date indicates that the SunCell® is capable of rapid displacement of fuels, power sources, and infrastructure due to its superior performance, lower cost, lack of pollutant by-products, and use of existing mass-produced components.
I'm sure this has come up before.

From the November 2016 business summary. Already continuously working in the 100's of KW range. Can use commercial PV cells. Leading PV companies are making PV cells for the Sun Cell. Uses existing mass-produced components.

They have identified dark matter.

http://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-co...y%20111016.pdf

Last edited by LTC8K6; 21st April 2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 21st April 2017, 06:41 AM   #3342
jrhowell
Thinker

The validation reports have been published on BLP's website over time. Check out http://brilliantlightpower.com/validation-reports/ for the more recent ones.
I took a look at one of the validation reports by K.V Ramanujachary.

It describes experiments carried out by BLP using BLP equipment that he witnessed. It is even unclear whether he wrote the report or just signed off on it. Whoever wrote it seems to be a "true believer". That is about as far from independent validation as you can get.

I found page 7 to be particularly funny. It is a series of photos of broken equipment with the caption:

Quote:
Figure 4A-C. Images of SunCells® that underwent meltdown in about 10 s due to the extraordinary power generated in the reactor.
I would have instead titled it "devices that quickly self-destructed due to incompetent engineering."
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 06:44 AM   #3343
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Right, I'm no laser expert (although I do happen to know one who I'll ask about this, although maybe not for a week or two), but if the light being emitted as of a broad spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet, then that's not a blue laser, is it? "Blue" is only some of those frequencies.

Secondly, what on Earth do they mean by "miniaturising" the multispectrum light into microns? What exactly are they talking about there?

Finally, if you look at that diagram, it appears that Mills thinks that such a laser would require a constant supply of water in order to keep functioning. But there's no reason, if the laser actually used water vapour instead of a crystal, for that vapour to need replacing. The diagram makes it appear as if Mills thinks that the laser beam itself is made up of water vapour.

Basically, that illustration makes it look like Mills doesn't really know what a laser is or how it works.
Old 21st April 2017, 06:53 AM   #3344
hecd2
Muse

With increasing temperature the power spectrum curve shifts to the left, such that photons in the visible range predominate when the temperature is around say 5000K.
At#3216 I asked you this: "[46% efficiecy of concentrator PC cells is possible] Under standard conditions with 5 junction cells - with an incident colour temperature of ~5800K, an incident power density of 1000W/m2 and a temperature of 25 degrees C.

So Markie, what temperature will the graphite dome run at, what is the incident power density predicted to be, and what temperature will the PV cells be operating at?
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 06:57 AM   #3345
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Of course others have independently confirmed the excess energy of hydrino formation, the spectroscopic evidence of hydrino formation, and the signatures of hydrino or dihydrino or hydrino hydride. You seem to believe that every positive scientific paper / experiment about hydrino has Mills as an author. Such is not the case.
You realize that repeating something ad nauseam does not make it true, right ?

There is no independent team which had evidence of Hydrino existence.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 07:03 AM   #3346
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I took a look at one of the validation reports by K.V Ramanujachary.

It describes experiments carried out by BLP using BLP equipment that he witnessed. It is even unclear whether he wrote the report or just signed off on it. Whoever wrote it seems to be a "true believer". That is about as far from independent validation as you can get.

I found page 7 to be particularly funny. It is a series of photos of broken equipment with the caption:

I would have instead titled it "devices that quickly self-destructed due to incompetent engineering."

Markie refuse adamantly to admit what independent means. In a way the conversation remind me of the jabba thread of immortality : once all objection have been given, they are waived with a simple gesture of hand, and the same argument "validation" repeatedly given , in spite of having shown to be improper.

By this point we are not arguing with Jabba/markie anymore, we are showing the info for lurker and google.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 07:12 AM   #3347
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I'm sure this has come up before.

Quote:
Brilliant Light has solved the theory, confirmed Hydrino reaction products by many analytical techniques, and identified Hydrino as the pervasive dark matter of the universe. The SunCell® was invented and engineered to harness this clean energy source of optical power of thousands of Sun equivalents that can be directly converted to electrical output using commercial photovoltaic cells. SunCell® technology is under rapid development for commercialization. Prototypes are already continuously producing hundreds of thousands of watts of light that is ideal for concentrator photovoltaic conversion being engineered and fabricated at leading photovoltaic (PV) companies. The performance to date indicates that the SunCell® is capable of rapid displacement of fuels, power sources, and infrastructure due to its superior performance, lower cost, lack of pollutant by-products, and use of existing mass-produced components.

From the November 2016 business summary.
Interesting, given that markie recently said:

I should qualify. The short burst reaction in the SunCell is already provably power dense. Long term reactions (of hours) in the SunCell have already been performed, but at necessarily low power. When the dome is closed both the power density and the sustained reaction will - presumably - be attained. That will be the moment of truth. If that fails (without reasonable excuse), I will probably be disappointed enough to reassess my belief.
A question, markie. Which of the following statements is true, given that at least and at most one must be true?

(1) The SunCell is already producing hundreds of kilowatts of energy continuously at suitable wavelengths for PV cells, in which case your statement is untrue in its implication that the power density and the sustained reaction have not simultaneously been achieved?
(2) The SunCell is not yet producing hundreds of kilowatts of energy continuously at suitable wavelengths for PV cells, and BLP has knowingly released a false statement?
(3) The SunCell is not yet producing hundreds of kilowatts of energy continuously at suitable wavelengths for PV cells, but BLP does not have the engineering competence to understand that this is the case?

If (1), then clearly your statements on BLP are not credible. One might ask why BLP has not simply demonstrated this extraordinary radiant source publically, which would silence its critics instantly.
If (2), then BLP is defrauding its investors.
If (3), then BLP is incompetent to a staggering degree.

So which is it - you don't know what's going on at BLP, BLP doesn't know what's going on at BLP, or the whole thing's a fraud?

Dave

Old 21st April 2017, 07:24 AM   #3348
hecd2
Muse

Right, I'm no laser expert (although I do happen to know one who I'll ask about this, although maybe not for a week or two), but if the light being emitted as of a broad spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet, then that's not a blue laser, is it? "Blue" is only some of those frequencies.
I was working with gas and dye lasers in the 1970s, and excimer lasers in the 80s. For a continuous working laser to work it needs a medium that has a quasi-stable excited state into which the pump energy pumps the molecules or atoms, so you end up with an inverted energy state, and an optical cavity tuned to the energy between the quasi-stable state and some lower stable state. The up transition is pumped and the down transition is stimulated by radiation in the cavity at the wavelength. Hence Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Some types of CW laser operate at a few well defined wavelengths given by the transition energy or energies. This include most sorts of gas laser (helium neon, helium cadmium, argon, krypton etc). Dye lasers can generally lase at a wider range of wavelengths and can be tuned by adjusting the cavity.

Quote:
Secondly, what on Earth do they mean by "miniaturising" the multispectrum light into microns? What exactly are they talking about there?
Could be that that's the journalist misinterpreting what was said to him? Maybe he was claiming that the device itself could be made into microns? Which is also quite silly.

Quote:
Finally, if you look at that diagram, it appears that Mills thinks that such a laser would require a constant supply of water in order to keep functioning. But there's no reason, if the laser actually used water vapour instead of a crystal, for that vapour to need replacing. The diagram makes it appear as if Mills thinks that the laser beam itself is made up of water vapour.
He doesn't talk about water vapour - he talks about hydrogen. The Balmer series is in the visible but hydrogen doesn't have the energy inversion to a quasi-stable state that is required for a laser. So I don't think it would work.

Quote:
Basically, that illustration makes it look like Mills doesn't really know what a laser is or how it works.
The illustration is awful.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 07:29 AM   #3349
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by hecd2 View Post
...snip...

He doesn't talk about water vapour - he talks about hydrogen. The Balmer series is in the visible but hydrogen doesn't have the energy inversion to a quasi-stable state that is required for a laser. So I don't think it would work.

The illustration is awful.
Serious question - would the hypothetical hydrino gas have such a property?
Old 21st April 2017, 07:39 AM   #3350
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Serious question - would the hypothetical hydrino gas have such a property?
If you viewed the ground state of hydrogen as a long-lived metastable state, then yes it might. The problem there is that, if that were true, and stimulated emission from the ground state had a reasonable cross-section, it would be possible to force a hydrogen atom into a lower state by hitting it with a photon in the blue part of the spectrum, which would mean that relaxation below the ground state of hydrogen would have to be a very common phenomenon. The claim as I understand it is that hydrogen can't relax below the ground state without a resonant interaction with another atom that has the required energy difference, which would imply that a hydrino laser is impossible because the transition can't be initiated by a photon. As usual, though, the whole theory is so poorly stated and internally inconsistent that it's almost impossible to find anything solid enough to critique.

Dave

Old 21st April 2017, 08:26 AM   #3351
jrhowell
Thinker

Of course the real discovery that Mills is trying desperately to keep quiet is the discovery of dark energy.

How else can you explain devices that produce 100KW of power continuously and at the same time generate only "low grade" heat? These devices aren't exploding from the enormous heat. They are shattering from the sudden extreme temperature drop caused by the enormous cold!
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 08:38 AM   #3352
Hans
Philosopher

Well it would seem markie's 'counter-attack' failed to stem the the tide of the, 'he's a fraud' crowd at all. He seemed to just repeat all the same failed arguments....which failed, again.

Oh well lets recap: Mills says he has the technology, it works and soon it will be in production but nothing happens and this same schtik has been repeating for 30 years?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 08:39 AM   #3353
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I was working with gas and dye lasers in the 1970s, and excimer lasers in the 80s. For a continuous working laser to work it needs a medium that has a quasi-stable excited state into which the pump energy pumps the molecules or atoms, so you end up with an inverted energy state, and an optical cavity tuned to the energy between the quasi-stable state and some lower stable state. The up transition is pumped and the down transition is stimulated by radiation in the cavity at the wavelength. Hence Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Some types of CW laser operate at a few well defined wavelengths given by the transition energy or energies. This include most sorts of gas laser (helium neon, helium cadmium, argon, krypton etc). Dye lasers can generally lase at a wider range of wavelengths and can be tuned by adjusting the cavity.
The article refers to the output as "multispectrum laser light", yet the entire point of the laser is that it's blue. The laser light emitted cannot be both blue and spanning from infrared to violet.

Quote:
Could be that that's the journalist misinterpreting what was said to him?
I'm not about to make the claim that science journalism is accurate and doesn't say silly things. But, then, I'm not about to make the claim that Mills' claims are accurate and that he doesn't say silly things, either.

Quote:
He doesn't talk about water vapour - he talks about hydrogen.
He talks about "heat[ing] water vapor with microwaves to generate
energized hydrogen atoms", and if you look at the illustration it literally has water being heated and the vapour being directed into the microwave cavity as a lasing medium. Both the text and the illustration concur on that being what's supposedly happening.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:50 AM   #3354
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Here is a patent application for the hydrino laser, from 7 years after that article was published. It doesn't seem to think that water vapour is a suitable lasing medium any more.

There's some maths in there which is beyond me, if anybody with the requisite background knowledge wants to have a go. Again, I'll probably sic my expert on it in the next couple of weeks.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:54 AM   #3355
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I can't find more than the abstract, but here is the paper in which Mills first proposes a hydrino laser. It seems that the person writing the article just copied directly from that:

Quote:
High-power hydrogen gas lasers are anticipated at wavelengths over a broad spectral range from far infrared to violet which may be miniaturized to micron dimensions. Such a hydrogen laser may prove to be the most versatile and useful of all.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:33 AM   #3356
Matthew Cline
Muse

Here is a patent application for the hydrino laser, from 7 years after that article was published.
Wait, since hydrinos are supposed to neither emit nor absorb photons, how could they be using as a lasing medium?
Old 21st April 2017, 09:37 AM   #3357
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

So not actually peer reviewed, looks like a vanity publication.

(Firefox did not like or load the .pdf link, cause who knows)
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 09:39 AM   #3358
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

And those published articles are?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 09:40 AM   #3359
hecd2
Muse

Here is a patent application for the hydrino laser, from 7 years after that article was published. It doesn't seem to think that water vapour is a suitable lasing medium any more.

There's some maths in there which is beyond me, if anybody with the requisite background knowledge wants to have a go. Again, I'll probably sic my expert on it in the next couple of weeks.
Forget all the guff in the disclosure. It's just stuff copied from Mills's book and it doesn't render properly in any of my browsers anyway. Just go to the claims at the very end. He is claiming any laser which works on transitions between fractional states of molecular hydrogen. If it's that easy to get a population inversion and stimulate emission, then that's completely inconsistent with his claim that you can't detect hydrinos and that they are dark matter. It's a mess.

Last edited by hecd2; 21st April 2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 21st April 2017, 10:37 AM   #3360
jrhowell
Thinker

If it's that easy to get a population inversion and stimulate emission, then that's completely inconsistent with his claim that you can't detect hydrinos and that they are dark matter. It's a mess.
Yes, but that was with Hydrino 1.0. He is now working with Hydrino 2.0. Totally different set of properties!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology