ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bill O'Reilly , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 5th April 2017, 06:22 AM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I did. You sidestepped it when you made your strawman. The argument I made, several times, is that settlement does not indicate guilt. There are several reasons why one would settle out of court. This does not mean that I think O'Reilly is innocent. I know that last bit is difficult for you to understand, but try.
Yes this makes him in such prestigious company as the president. Who also settled his totally BS case against his prestigious university. It would be wrong to consider that as fraudulant, there was no admitting of wrong doing after all.

But making such things thinks you actually mean any of that. You clearly don't becuase why would you object to having it apply to other settlements? It applies equally to both settlements but you get called on that and now it doesn't mean anything.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 06:25 AM   #42
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

https://www.billoreilly.com/g/Statement/868.html
Quote:
Statement of Bill O'Reilly

April 1, 2017

Just like other prominent and controversial people, I'm vulnerable to lawsuits from individuals who want me to pay them to avoid negative publicity. In my more than 20 years at Fox News Channel, no one has ever filed a complaint about me with the Human Resources Department, even on the anonymous hotline.

But most importantly, I'm a father who cares deeply for my children and who would do anything to avoid hurting them in any way. And so I have put to rest any controversies to spare my children.
I like Ed Brayton's reply (check out the whole post and follow ups if you have the time)
Quote:
And yet there are lots of hosts at Fox News and other networks who are rich and famous and thus would be the same kind of tempting target who have not had to pay out millions of dollars. Why do you suppose that is, Bill? And of course, we know that the accusations in the Andrew Mackris case were accurate because we’ve all seen the excerpts from those phone conversations you had when you were telling her you wanted to rub her down with falafel in the shower.

And that took place in 2004, while you were married and your children were very young. Apparently you didn’t care so much about them then. Or when your daughter said she had to watch you choke and drag her mother down the stairs. And yet you cared so much about your daughter then that you called her a liar in public. You’re practically father of the century, Bill.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 06:27 AM   #43
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yes this makes him in such prestigious company as the president. Who also settled his totally BS case against his prestigious university. It would be wrong to consider that as fraudulant, there was no admitting of wrong doing after all.
AGAIN, I'm not saying that they are innocent. I said so, explicitly, in the post you quoted. It takes quite a bit of dishonesty to so blatantly ignore that in your response. I'm saying that settlement, in and of itself, is no indicator of guilt. Do you agree with this or not?

Quote:
But making such things thinks you actually mean any of that.
That's not even a sentence.

Quote:
You clearly don't becuase why would you object to having it apply to other settlements? It applies equally to both settlements but you get called on that and now it doesn't mean anything.
In case you didn't notice, those settlements don't exist in a vacuum. There are other ways to judge people. And I'll remind you that I never concluded that Trump was guilty of the accusations, so where you see the hypocrisy is beyond me.

You just don't like that I disagree with your feeling-based position.
Old 5th April 2017, 06:29 AM   #44
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post

I like Ed Brayton's reply (check out the whole post and follow ups if you have the time)
Are you sure that you and Ed Brayton haven't been had? Did you check the date on Bill O'Reilly's statement.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:08 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
AGAIN, I'm not saying that they are innocent. I said so, explicitly, in the post you quoted. It takes quite a bit of dishonesty to so blatantly ignore that in your response. I'm saying that settlement, in and of itself, is no indicator of guilt. Do you agree with this or not?
And those broad statements apply to all settlements.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:14 AM   #46
3point14
Pi

Somebody round here did damn good job of pointing out to me that I was wrong about Micheal Jackson. Maybe it's the same with Bill?

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:23 AM   #47
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Are you sure that you and Ed Brayton haven't been had? Did you check the date on Bill O'Reilly's statement.
I hadn't noticed the date thanks for pointing it out. Although if it's an April fool's joke then O'Reilly actually thinks he's guilty and a bad father, that seems rather unlikely. It seems far more likely it's a direct response to the NY Times article that was published on April first. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/b...news.html?_r=0
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 08:10 AM   #48
Argumemnon
World Maker

And those broad statements apply to all settlements.
Yes, which is why we need more than just the settlement in order to pass judgment. Do you agree or not? It's a simple, yes or no question.
Old 5th April 2017, 08:12 AM   #49
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Agreed.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 01:24 PM   #50
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

I can't find any information on what the claims actually are, or what evidence exists with respect to them. Maybe my google fu is weak, but it seems mostly to be that O'Reilly had several settlements over the past few years where there was an accusation of harassment, only one of which was sexual... and then a bunch of advertisers jumped ship? Anyone have any actual information?
Old 5th April 2017, 01:30 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Advertisers are jumping from the O Reilly show like it had the plague.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 02:01 PM   #52
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I can't find any information on what the claims actually are, or what evidence exists with respect to them. Maybe my google fu is weak, but it seems mostly to be that O'Reilly had several settlements over the past few years where there was an accusation of harassment, only one of which was sexual... and then a bunch of advertisers jumped ship? Anyone have any actual information?
I think the primary reporting was done by the (failed) New York Times. Here is one story, I think it is the first.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 02:39 PM   #53
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
No; if there's one thing Bill O'Reilly does NOT do, it's self-deprecating humor. I saw a video once of some conference or panel or something, where another journalist did some extremely mild roasting of him for some silly mistake or boast he'd made in the past - the kind of ribbing that craftfellows tend to do at such gatherings, nothing wild or scandalous. But O'Reilly, who had the next turn at the podium, flipped his lid about it, railing against the guy for "attacking" him. He was clearly not amused.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:13 PM   #54
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think the primary reporting was done by the (failed) New York Times. Here is one story, I think it is the first.
Thank you.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:26 PM   #55
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

It's nice to have proof that what we knew was true about that rectum was true!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:28 PM   #56
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No; if there's one thing Bill O'Reilly does NOT do, it's self-deprecating humor. I saw a video once of some conference or panel or something, where another journalist did some extremely mild roasting of him for some silly mistake or boast he'd made in the past - the kind of ribbing that craftfellows tend to do at such gatherings, nothing wild or scandalous. But O'Reilly, who had the next turn at the podium, flipped his lid about it, railing against the guy for "attacking" him. He was clearly not amused.
He may not be amused, but he is an *******!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:49 PM   #57
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Yes, that's the NYT story from 4/1 I linked above that kicked off the whole situation. The BBC link in the OP seems to cover all the current news on the fall out from the NYT article.
Old 5th April 2017, 04:06 PM   #58
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well, he is a remarkably reprehensible half-wit... although I realize that's not why his advertisers are dumping him.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:13 PM   #59
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Noted sexual predator Donald Trump says he doesn't think O'Reilly did anything wrong. Why am I not surprised?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr...171105773.html
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:24 PM   #60
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Noted sexual predator Donald Trump says he doesn't think O'Reilly did anything wrong. Why am I not surprised?

Once again demonstrating that it doesn't know when to keep its *********** mouth shut.

Seriously, I'm trying to imagine Presidents Obama, Clinton, or even Little Bush commenting on this kind of situation when they so clearly wouldn't have to.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 5th April 2017 at 04:26 PM.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:55 PM   #61
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Well the allegations are that O'Reilly attempted to wield his position of power to get women to have sex with him. Perhaps Trump's "when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything" doesn't work out as well for O'Reilly or the kind of women he tried to extort sex from.
Old 5th April 2017, 04:58 PM   #62
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

One of these women is said to have phone recordings and perhaps why O'Reilly didnt fight it out on court as Trump suggests he should have.
Old 5th April 2017, 06:05 PM   #63
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You can't explain that.
Old 5th April 2017, 06:12 PM   #64
Argumemnon
World Maker

Damn. Now I have to rule against O'Reilly.
Old 5th April 2017, 09:14 PM   #65
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Well the allegations are that O'Reilly attempted to wield his position of power to get women to have sex with him. Perhaps Trump's "when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything" doesn't work out as well for O'Reilly or the kind of women he tried to extort sex from.
Are you telling me women dislike O'Reilly more than Trump?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 01:51 AM   #66
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Are you telling me women dislike O'Reilly more than Trump?
This probably needs a poll.
Old 6th April 2017, 03:00 AM   #67
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
This probably needs a poll.
"Trump, O'Reilly, or death?"
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 03:31 AM   #68
Stacko
Philosopher

Is he going to rename the show The No Sponsor Zone?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 03:36 AM   #69
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Not the first time for old Bill. You'd think he'd have learned something by this point.

Not that I equate the two (though Im sure some conservatives do) but if this takes him down, that's probably the two biggest names in the business with he and Brian Williams being banished in disgrace.

I can see people thinking this lends credence to Trumps claims about journalists being horrible people, even though he and his supporters like O'reilly.
Of course Bill lied even more the Williams about falsely being in war zones and no one cared.

See https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d5d9cf62f9d8

But conservative news is not held to the same standards of fact as real news.
Old 6th April 2017, 04:33 AM   #70
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

And just like after Maddow's kerfuffle O'Reilly's ratings have gone up
Old 6th April 2017, 04:37 AM   #71
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
His audience likes that he puts women in their place.
Old 6th April 2017, 04:39 AM   #72
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

His audience likes that he puts women in their place.
Oh, you watch?
Old 6th April 2017, 04:41 AM   #73
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Ratings have gone up with people wanting to see a train wreck. Meanwhile sponsors have been withdrawing.
Old 6th April 2017, 04:46 AM   #74
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oh, you watch?
I just learned what they don't care about in the election. I wonder if Bill pulls a trump and barges into their dressing rooms, or are not enough of his guests teens for that kind of behavior to fly?
Old 6th April 2017, 11:40 AM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher

So what?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 12:55 PM   #76
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Thank you.
De nada. Did it address your questions? I just posted it on the run.

Old 6th April 2017, 01:11 PM   #77
Emily's Cat

De nada. Did it address your questions? I just posted it on the run.
Yup!
Old 6th April 2017, 01:14 PM   #78
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Is he going to rename the show The No Sponsor Zone?
The fate of O Reilly depends now on how much of a locomotive he is;ie somebody whose ratings are strong enough so that they draw an audience that sticks around for other Fox Shows. They might keep his on for htat reason. Fox will be watching the audience drop for the shows after O Reilly very closely.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 01:48 PM   #79
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

The fate of O Reilly depends now on how much of a locomotive he is;ie somebody whose ratings are strong enough so that they draw an audience that sticks around for other Fox Shows. They might keep his on for htat reason. Fox will be watching the audience drop for the shows after O Reilly very closely.
Yes, the bottom line is always the bottom line even at Fox.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 02:37 PM   #80
ddt
Mafia Penguin

However, those ratings don't matter one iota when there are no advertisers.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events