ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bill O'Reilly , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 6th April 2017, 03:51 PM   #81
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
However, those ratings don't matter one iota when there are no advertisers.
If the ratings are high enough, someone will advertise. Maybe not the same folks who did before, but someone will fill that void.
Old 6th April 2017, 05:13 PM   #82
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Yep, Glenn Beck was still getting very high ratings when advertisers started dropping and then He was gone from Fox.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 05:57 PM   #83
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
If the ratings are high enough, someone will advertise. Maybe not the same folks who did before, but someone will fill that void.
At least the depth of the client pool will be decreased, which is better than nothing. For people who think O'Reilly is garbage, I mean.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 06:12 PM   #84
Civet
Muse

CNN just had a story about how his top advertiser is some outfit that sells gold. Apparently they're sticking around. Makes me wonder if O'Reilly can cobble together a team of advertisers similar to a blue-chip version of what Alex Jones uses. Survivalist stuff, weirdo health supplements, water purifiers and like that.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 07:03 PM   #85
carlitos
"más divertido"

I can't find it right now, but a few years ago there was a great article in the overlap between right wing news and scam marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 03:44 AM   #86
Jules Galen
Banned

Now that Bill O'Reilly is being abandoned by his advertisers, he is effectively finished. He will soon become a forgotten has-been like that loud-mouthed, talk-radio fat guy who fell into obscurity a few years ago.

Asta La Vista Bill!
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 08:55 AM   #87
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Now that Bill O'Reilly is being abandoned by his advertisers, he is effectively finished. He will soon become a forgotten has-been like that loud-mouthed, talk-radio fat guy who fell into obscurity a few years ago.

Asta La Vista Bill!
Then again, characters like him are like Japanese Knotweed, notoriously difficult to get rid of.

If he can still attract some sponsors then he'll stay on FOX, else he'll find another channel.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 09:37 AM   #88
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Then again, characters like him are like Japanese Knotweed, notoriously difficult to get rid of.

If he can still attract some sponsors then he'll stay on FOX, else he'll find another channel.
Maybe, but don't underestimate the aversion to liability. It's one thing to hire someone controversial, it's another to hire someone who will almost certainly get you sued for sexual harassment.
Old 7th April 2017, 10:49 AM   #89
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
CNN just had a story about how his top advertiser is some outfit that sells gold. Apparently they're sticking around. Makes me wonder if O'Reilly can cobble together a team of advertisers similar to a blue-chip version of what Alex Jones uses. Survivalist stuff, weirdo health supplements, water purifiers and like that.
Pretty much what Glenn Beck did. Problem is ,Fox will have to lower it's ad rates for those companies since they don't have the kind of money to spend that the big time sponsers that O Reilly is losing did.
Main reason for keeping O Reilly is the same reason they kept Beck around...as a locomotive..somebody who brings in a big audience that sticks around for other Fox shows. It has yet to be seen how these charges will impact O Reilly's ratings.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 10:52 AM   #90
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly true; depends on how many O Reilly viewers stick around for other Fox Shows. TV Networks spend a lot of time in scheduling shows in a way that a strong show can help a new or weaker show.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 02:46 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Problem is the kind of companies that the show will pick up will not be able to pay the kind of ad rates that the ones who left did. The means Fox will have to charge lower rates, and that means less profit for Fox.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th April 2017, 03:26 PM   #92
mgidm86
Illuminator

Quote:
She accused the host of withdrawing a job offer after she declined his invitation to go with him to his hotel suite after a dinner in 2013.
and
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/b...suit.html?_r=0

Quote:
Ms. Walsh, speaking in Los Angeles, repeated the account she provided to The Times. She said that Mr. O’Reilly did not follow through on a verbal offer to make her a contributor to his show after she declined an invitation to go to his hotel suite after a 2013 dinner in Los Angeles that was arranged by his secretary. She has not received a settlement and said she does not want any money. She did not report her complaints to Fox News at the time, she said, because she did not want to jeopardize her career prospects.
Good luck with that.

Hey, maybe he's totally guilty, but after a company I worked for got sued by a female employee who claimed sexual harassment and a myriad of other things that she completely fabricated (and lost), I am skeptical.

People like her actually make it more difficult for legitimate cases to be tried.
Quote:
Her lawyer, Lisa Bloom, said Fox News was the "Bill Cosby of corporate America", in reference to the TV entertainer who is facing multiple sex assault claims.

Was Cosby convicted, I hadn't heard? I know that many women are treated improperly, but thanks to women like the one who sued my employer, I must remain highly skeptical.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 04:27 PM   #93
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

I agree. I don't think he'll disappear....just become irelavent and eventually forgotten.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 04:31 PM   #94
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Asta La Vista Bill!
I wish.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 04:32 PM   #95
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Problem is the kind of companies that the show will pick up will not be able to pay the kind of ad rates that the ones who left did. The means Fox will have to charge lower rates, and that means less profit for Fox.
Agreed. Will they then lower his gigantic compensation?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 7th April 2017, 04:44 PM   #96
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Agreed. Will they then lower his gigantic compensation?
Depends on the terms of his contract.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th April 2017, 07:01 PM   #97
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
and
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/b...suit.html?_r=0

Good luck with that.

Hey, maybe he's totally guilty, but after a company I worked for got sued by a female employee who claimed sexual harassment and a myriad of other things that she completely fabricated (and lost), I am skeptical.

People like her actually make it more difficult for legitimate cases to be tried.

Was Cosby convicted, I hadn't heard? I know that many women are treated improperly, but thanks to women like the one who sued my employer, I must remain highly skeptical.
When you get multiple woman claiming the same thing the odds of a fake claim drop.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 05:58 AM   #98
Stacko
Philosopher

Depends on the terms of his contract.
They just renewed it which has to be placing some bad incentives on them to keep him.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 06:56 AM   #99
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Wow they renewed his contract the same day the NYT article published and just a day or two before the major advertisers started pulling out. I'm guessing Rupert Murdoch has been rather grumpy this week.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 08:23 AM   #100
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Wow they renewed his contract the same day the NYT article published and just a day or two before the major advertisers started pulling out. I'm guessing Rupert Murdoch has been rather grumpy this week.
Unless their lawyers are incompetent, I'm sure there's a way out. They certainly can't go with any morals clause, though, since they signed him while knowing the score...which is great news for anyone else with a case to make as the company can't pretend they were unaware in order to get off the hook in future lawsuits.
Old 8th April 2017, 02:35 PM   #101
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I wish.
Have hope, friend!

Hey...it's not like Bill is going to go into obscurity overnight, but the stage has been set for him to pretty-quickly fade away.

See...there's hope.
Old 8th April 2017, 02:44 PM   #102
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Unless their lawyers are incompetent, I'm sure there's a way out. They certainly can't go with any morals clause, though, since they signed him while knowing the score...which is great news for anyone else with a case to make as the company can't pretend they were unaware in order to get off the hook in future lawsuits.
The interesting wrinkle is that much like with Bill Cosby this isn't new information about Bill O'Reilly. This has been an ongoing problem with O'Reilly for a long time. Fox knew what they were getting when they renewed the contract.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 02:53 PM   #103
Babbylonian
Philosopher

The interesting wrinkle is that much like with Bill Cosby this isn't new information about Bill O'Reilly. This has been an ongoing problem with O'Reilly for a long time. Fox knew what they were getting when they renewed the contract.
Pure greed isn't that interesting. The bottom line is the only thing that matters to some people. That applies to Cosby as well; people who knew had their own interests to look after, and decided those interests were more important than helping potential victims.
Old 10th April 2017, 03:19 AM   #104
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Pure greed isn't that interesting. The bottom line is the only thing that matters to some people. That applies to Cosby as well; people who knew had their own interests to look after, and decided those interests were more important than helping potential victims.
And of course for most of his career there he could trade dating tips with his boss. It sounds like he and Ailes ran with the same playbook.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 06:21 PM   #105
Stacko
Philosopher

“according to four network sources, there’s talk inside Fox News that tonight’s show could be his last”
Old 12th April 2017, 12:19 AM   #106
Tony Stark
Philosopher

lol
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 01:42 AM   #107
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I don't watch his show. But still, if I had to guess, I would have guessed that the top advertiser was someone selling gold. Apparently lots of old white people will buy gold if the TV tells them to.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 03:43 AM   #108
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Gold was also a huge thing for Glen Beck. It seems that the right wing have this obsession with the economy crashing and everyone needing gold to buy things in the new economy.
Old 12th April 2017, 06:08 AM   #109
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Gold was also a huge thing for Glen Beck. It seems that the right wing have this obsession with the economy crashing and everyone needing gold to buy things in the new economy.
They are just especially susceptible to scams.
Old 12th April 2017, 06:20 AM   #110
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I agree. I don't think he'll disappear....just become irelavent and eventually forgotten.
As will we all
Old 12th April 2017, 06:39 AM   #111
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Allegations come in, advertisers go out. You can't explain that!

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #112
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Even some legitimate bullion companies have started pandering to this odd mythology. Valcambi now sells these sheets of breakaway 1-gram gold tabs, a form factor that has no practical purpose except within the prepper daydream of gold-as-liquid-asset rather than what it actually is nowadays.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 11:03 AM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Almost every contract in Television has a "morals" clause where if the guy doe something that hurts the companies image he can be fired.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th April 2017, 11:22 AM   #114
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Almost every contract in Television has a "morals" clause where if the guy doe something that hurts the companies image he can be fired.
Yes, but they would have a difficult time enforcing the clause (without losing a lawsuit) for something that a) happened previous to the current contract and b) they knew about prior to signing the current contract.
Old 12th April 2017, 11:48 AM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
One of these women is said to have phone recordings and perhaps why O'Reilly didnt fight it out on court as Trump suggests he should have.
Has everyone forgotten the [paraphrasing] "I want to grab your tits in the shower" recorded phone call?

Bill O'Reilly Falafel Lawsuit Turns Ten
Quote:
On this date in 2004, Bill O’Reilly was accused of sexual harassment by Andrea Mackris, an associate producer who worked with the TV host at Fox News Channel. Mackris’s New York State Supreme Court complaint is bursting with examples of the 65-year-old O’Reilly’s alleged sleaziness (which apparently was surreptitiously memorialized via Mackris’s tape recorder)....

A decade later, Mackris’s complaint--filed by attorney Benedict Morelli--remains a better read than any of O’Reilly’s subsequent best sellers. Mainly because the lawsuit includes topics such as:

Vibrators
Masturbation lessons
Phone sex
A “short brown” Balinese woman who allegedly was “amazed” when she saw O’Reilly’s penis
Threesomes
The loss of O’Reilly’s virginity in a car at JFK airport
Sex with two Scandinavian stewardesses
A Thai sex show
Al Franken
O’Reilly’s masturbation
O’Reilly’s climaxing
Caribbean shower fantasies
“One of those mitts, those loofa mitts”
Falafel
O’Reilly’s “big cock”
More vibrator-aided ejaculation
So, put aside a few minutes and enjoy the lawsuit again for the first time (23 pages)
Links in the link.

The reference to 'better than O'Reilly's book' is in reference to a cheesy porn novel he wrote that contained a lot of the same fantasies he discussed in the recorded phone calls.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 12:08 PM   #116
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Allegations come in, advertisers go out. You can't explain that!
Awesome! Best laugh for me this week, thanks.
Old 12th April 2017, 12:11 PM   #117
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Yes, but they would have a difficult time enforcing the clause (without losing a lawsuit) for something that a) happened previous to the current contract and b) they knew about prior to signing the current contract.
Upon fully reading the NYT article that kicked this all off I now realize that a new complaint has been filed against O'Reilly by a guest on his show, Wendy Walsh, so Fox may have an easy out if they want it.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:25 PM   #118
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Bill is going on 'vacation'.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:29 PM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am pretty sure the morals clause was in every contract that O Reilly signed, since that clause has been SOP in every contract in television since the 1950's.
If Fox wants to get rid of O Reilly, they can find some legal way to do it. Of that I am sure. I think every TV contract gives the network an out.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th April 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:29 PM   #120
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Five bucks says he attaches himself to the White House within six months.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events