ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 5th April 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

The Trump Presidency

This is a follow on, not a continuation of the "President Trump" thread.

Please keep the focus on issues related to the Trump Presidency (vs pre election issues). Items discussed in other threads should not to be raised here.
Old 5th April 2017, 04:43 PM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

... it's like an artist staring at a blank piece of paper...

(btw, thank you!)
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:58 PM   #3
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Thanks!

I'm just gonna go pack up and head to hell right now.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Donald Trump is President? When did that happen?!
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:18 PM   #5
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

The Trump presidency?! Trump has proven that he is unfit to handle the job. In addition, he is a liar and an embarrassment to the United States of America.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
"The Trump Presidency"... has a nice ring to it. Thank goodness the title of this thread isn't "The Hillary Presidency."
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

"The Trump Presidency"

<Jeopardy>
What is "a phrase only heard in Bizarro World", Alex?
</Jeopardy>
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Scootch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
"The Trump Presidency"

<Jeopardy>
What is "a phrase only heard in Bizarro World", Alex?
</Jeopardy>
Circle gets the square!
Scootch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My post in FMF has had a result! This is the proudest moment of my life. Other than pretty much every time I hurled a pumpkin or anything else, of course.
Old 5th April 2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My post in FMF has had a result! This is the proudest moment of my life. Other than pretty much every time I hurled a pumpkin or anything else, of course.
That's deplorable.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
That's deplorable.
I really ought to report that.
Now can we have some serious posts in the thread?
Old 5th April 2017, 07:28 PM   #12
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
The Trump presidency?! Trump has proven that he is unfit to handle the job. In addition, he is a liar and an embarrassment to the United States of America.
Er, yes, but he is nonetheless president, and the fact is that none of the things you mention are sufficient for impeachment, I think.

But let's wait. Still might happen for other reasons.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 07:57 PM   #13
Stacko
Philosopher

What a delusional lunatic.

Quote:
TRUMP: Well, I think that some of it had to do with the election. They thought they were going to win. You know, winning the Electoral College is, for a Republican, is close to impossible and I won it quite easily. And I think they are still recovering from that, but they are recovering now. I think the Susan Rice thing is a massive story. I think it’s a massive, massive story. All over the world, I mean other than The New York Times.

HABERMAN: We’ve written about it twice.

TRUMP: Huh?

HABERMAN: We’ve written about it twice.

TRUMP: Yeah, it’s a bigger story than you know. I think —

HABERMAN: You mean there’s more information that we’re not aware of?

TRUMP: I think that it’s going to be the biggest story.

THRUSH: Why? What do you think —

TRUMP: Take a look at what’s happening. I mean, first of all her performance was horrible yesterday on television even though she was interviewed by Hillary Clinton’s P.R. person, Andrea Mitchell [the NBC News journalist]. Course you’ve been accused of that also.

HABERMAN: Mostly by you, though.

TRUMP: No, no, no. Mostly by a lot of people. So you know, we’ll see what happens, but it looks like it’s breaking into a massive story.

THRUSH: What do you think are — what other shoes are there to drop on this?

HABERMAN: Yeah, what else could we learn on this?

TRUMP: I think you’re going to see a lot. I think you’ll see a lot.
ETA: It is insane how many senior aides had to babysit him through this.

Quote:
At least six White House aides were sitting in: Gary D. Cohn, President Trump’s lead economic adviser and a former president of Goldman Sachs; Reed Cordish, an assistant to the president; Sean Spicer, the press secretary; Hope Hicks, a long-serving Trump aide; and eventually Vice President Mike Pence and the chief of staff, Reince Priebus.

Last edited by Stacko; 5th April 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 08:01 PM   #14
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, yes, but he is nonetheless president, and the fact is that none of the things you mention are sufficient for impeachment, I think.

But let's wait. Still might happen for other reasons.
You are correct, but it seems that Trump is already heading toward that direction and he hasn't even reached the 100-day mark yet. I am having Watergate news flashbacks when I thought the only person who would be left standing in the Nixon administration would have been Vice President Agnew, but I blinked my eyes once and the next thing I knew he was gone.

Last edited by skyeagle409; 5th April 2017 at 08:05 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 10:10 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Enough banter, let's get this party started.

Van Jones had such an excellent program tonight. I would almost vote for Schwarzenegger after this interview. But I digress...

Van Jones ended the piece with a callout to Republican women. He asserted that women working for, or applying for work at, Fox News were likely conservatives. Jones then asked them, they voted for Trump, shouldn't they be supporting the women accusing O'Reilly? Shouldn't Ivanka weigh in on the side of O'Reilly's accusers?

They were quick to attack Clinton's behavior, and now here they are defending O'Reilly and Fox News. What's wrong with this picture?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 10:41 PM   #16
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Van Jones ended the piece with a callout to Republican women. He asserted that women working for, or applying for work at, Fox News were likely conservatives. Jones then asked them, they voted for Trump, shouldn't they be supporting the women accusing O'Reilly? Shouldn't Ivanka weigh in on the side of O'Reilly's accusers?

They were quick to attack Clinton's behavior, and now here they are defending O'Reilly and Fox News. What's wrong with this picture?

Simply mind-boggling!! I would like to lock them up in the same room with women who brought about lawsuits against O'Reilly and see what happens.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:15 AM   #17
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
What a delusional lunatic.

ETA: It is insane how many senior aides had to babysit him through this.
What a rambling mess of an interview.

He just doesn't seem able to keep on a subject for more than a few seconds and seems to have, at best, a very cursory understanding of the subjects about which he is speaking.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 04:09 AM   #18
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

From that same transcript:

Quote:
TRUMP: Elijah Cummings [a Democratic representative from Maryland] was in my office and he said, “You will go down as one of the great presidents in the history of our country.”

HABERMAN: Really.

TRUMP: And then he went out and I watched him on television yesterday and I said, “Was that the same man?”

[Laughter.]

TRUMP: But I said, and I liked him, but I said that was really nice. He said, in a group of people, “You will go down as one of the great presidents in the history of our country.” And then I watched him on television and I said, “Is that the same man that said that to me?”
I honestly don't think that anyone would say that about Trump unless they were absolutely dripping sarcasm at the time.

Does Trump just make this kind of thing up, or does he honestly think this happened ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 04:12 AM   #19
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump just saved enough money to pay for five of his Mar-A-Lago trips!

Quote:
Environmental Protection Agency officials are proposing to eliminate two programs focused on limiting children’s exposure to lead-based paint, which is known to cause damage to developing brains and nervous systems.

The proposed cuts, outlined in a 64-page budget memo revealed by The Washington Post on Friday, would roll back programs aimed at reducing lead risks by $16.61 million and more than 70 employees, in line with a broader project by the Trump administration to devolve responsibility for environmental and health protection to state and local governments.

Old housing stock is the biggest risk for lead exposure — and the EPA estimates that 38 million U.S. homes contain lead-based paint.

One of the programs falling under the ax requires professional remodelers to undergo training in safe practices for stripping away old, lead-based paints from homes and other facilities.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 04:28 AM   #20
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Enough banter, let's get this party started.

Van Jones had such an excellent program tonight. I would almost vote for Schwarzenegger after this interview. But I digress...

"he had signed a petition—"a "9/11 Truth Statement"—that suggested the Bush-Cheney administration either orchestrated or allowed the 9/11 attack to happen and that called for an investigation. He also had been part of an organizing committee for a 9/11 "truth" march."
Old 6th April 2017, 04:41 AM   #21
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

I honestly don't think that anyone would say that about Trump unless they were absolutely dripping sarcasm at the time.

Does Trump just make this kind of thing up, or does he honestly think this happened ?
With Trump's track record? I wouldn't believe him if he told me the time of day.

Besides, all Trump ever does is pat himself on the back. He's a narcissist, plain and simple.
Old 6th April 2017, 04:57 AM   #22
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
With Trump's track record? I wouldn't believe him if he told me the time of day.

Besides, all Trump ever does is pat himself on the back. He's a narcissist, plain and simple.

His MO is simply to tell people what they want to hear and then forget about it.
I like that he spoke to both extremes of his party, telling each side different things without even considering that they may latter communicate with each other. It shows a special kind of delusion to do that.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 05:10 AM   #23
Stacko
Philosopher

Cummings said something similar with a massive caveat that Trump omitted. Cummings said he could be a great President if he stops being divisive and harmful. Just a minor detail to forget.
Old 6th April 2017, 05:17 AM   #24
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I am really beginning to loathe Trump.

The hypocrisy is stunning.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 05:23 AM   #25
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
TRUMP: Elijah Cummings [a Democratic representative from Maryland] was in my office and he said, “You will go down as one of the great presidents in the history of our country.”
That's what Trump remembers hearing. I wonder what was actually said? "Most memorable"? "Stand-out"? "Truly remarkable"?

All of these Trump might well have heard as "great". A tape of the actual conversation would be a treasure.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 05:30 AM   #26
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
That's what Trump remembers hearing. I wonder what was actually said? "Most memorable"? "Stand-out"? "Truly remarkable"?

All of these Trump might well have heard as "great". A tape of the actual conversation would be a treasure.
Considering that he managed to see the biggest crowd ever in a relatively puny one is an indication that what was actually said could have been "terrible" and he still would hear it as "great".
Old 6th April 2017, 05:58 AM   #27
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Cummings said something similar with a massive caveat that Trump omitted. Cummings said he could be a great President if he stops being divisive and harmful. Just a minor detail to forget.
Yeah. It was, "You could be a great president if you start doing things completely differently from how you are doing them now."

Trump is just senile, that's the simple explanation.
Old 6th April 2017, 06:00 AM   #28
Spindrift

I'll bet Trump is astounded that anyone questions the veracity of what he says. All his life he's been able to say whatever he wanted without really being challenged. He still does not get that he's the *********** POTUS and everything and anything he says does matter and will be scrutinized.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 06:08 AM   #29
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I really ought to report that.
Now can we have some serious posts in the thread?
Given the subject, that might be an impossibility.
Old 6th April 2017, 06:10 AM   #30
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Considering that he managed to see the biggest crowd ever in a relatively puny one is an indication that what was actually said could have been "terrible" and he still would hear it as "great".
Or he just needs glasses.
Old 6th April 2017, 06:22 AM   #31
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I don't think Trump is senile; he just woefully overestimates his own skills and lives in a bubble of constant confirmation bias. Further, he thinks that "make it so" works as it did when he instructed underlings to bilk suppliers, or when he repeatedly skipped out on his investors. The presidency is far, far beyond his wildest ken, and way past his abilities. His success owes directly to the fact that good governance is also way beyond the ken of his voters or party, who value very, very simple answers, myth, and golden idol worship above all things. The only policy checks anyone does seem to be "Are we the ones benefiting?" and "Does this maintain the principle that we are above principle reproach?"
Please use your own words for foundational concepts and main argument; I do not wish to debate a disjointed quote machine made of foreign parts that jerry-rig on command. I am happy, however, to debate an identifiable set of statements of your clear authorship that are intended to hold together.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 07:26 AM   #32
Spindrift

How will Turmp react when a real national or international crisis occurs? His SOP is to blame someone else. That's not going to work in a major crisis. Not sure where it would occur.

North Korea as a state is clinically insane, but while they like causing problems I don't think they want a real confrontation but Trump might over-react to one of NK's tantrums.

Syria is a quagmire. Trump's boast about being able to defeat ISIS in thirty days is silly. Unless he waits long enough for ISIS to finally be on it's last legs and he'll join the battle like the Soviets declaring war on Japan at the end of WWII.

China is the biggest risk. Trump doesn't understand the Chinese and if starts with his usual diplomatic style of insults and threats the Chinese will not react the way he thinks they should.
Old 6th April 2017, 07:56 AM   #33
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I imagine him saying something stupid to the Chinese President like, "Tokyo is a great city. I love Tokyo." or "So sorry about that tsunami a few years ago. Bad stuff."
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 08:01 AM   #34
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I imagine him saying something stupid to the Chinese President like, "Tokyo is a great city. I love Tokyo." or "So sorry about that tsunami a few years ago. Bad stuff."
I can't wait for the he said/Xi said headlines when Trump inevitably lies about their meeting. No, wait! Dreading, I'm dreading the headlines.
Old 6th April 2017, 08:05 AM   #35
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I don't think Trump is senile;"
I still do.

Actually, he reminds me a lot of Admiral (and later, President) Benson from Hot Shots. Except less lovable or competent.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by pgwenthold; 6th April 2017 at 08:55 AM.
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 08:40 AM   #36
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

The Trump Presidency so far has been a hugely entertaining ****show of grand proportions, made somewhat panic-inducing because these people are supposed to be in charge, not derping around like vaudeville clowns performing slapstick.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 08:53 AM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can't wait to see what happens when they shake hands (if at all).
Old 6th April 2017, 08:57 AM   #38
Minoosh
Philosopher

He just doesn't seem able to keep on a subject for more than a few seconds and seems to have, at best, a very cursory understanding of the subjects about which he is speaking.
Yes, he's woefully uninformed - even by American standards!
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 09:08 AM   #39
Minoosh
Philosopher

I can't wait for the he said/Xi said headlines when Trump inevitably lies about their meeting. No, wait! Dreading, I'm dreading the headlines.
More like "he said/Xi scraped him off his shoe like a dog turd."
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 10:18 AM   #40
3point14
Pi

I have to say, the Trump presidency is proving a fantastic way to learn about the protocols, procedures, checks and balances of the US system. It's like a civics case study.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics