ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th April 2017, 12:31 AM   #201
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Trump's reaction on (where else) Twitter is gold: "Great win in Kansas last night for Ron Estes, easily winning the Congressional race against the Dems, who spent heavily & predicted victory!"

As someone remarked, everything in this tweet is false, except that Estes kept the seat for the GOP (by a dangerously small margin).
Yeah, if that race is a preview of the midterms, Democrats are going to take back the House.

I think that Estes won by 7 points, while Pompeo won the same seat in 2016 by like 30.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:35 AM   #202
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Yeah, if that race is a preview of the midterms, Democrats are going to take back the House.

I think that Estes won by 7 points, while Pompeo won the same seat in 2016 by like 30.
According to Nate Silver: "Estes underperformed Trump's margin by 20.3 points. If every district behaved like that, Dems would gain 122 (!) House seats next November."

That is of course a big "if", but still, it shows how bad a result that Kansas special election was.

(and Silver is wrong about "next November", he obviously meant the midterms)
Old 13th April 2017, 12:49 AM   #203
TofuFighter
Muse

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
And he has said that NATO is not obsolete "anymore," together with backtracking on the one China policy, trade barriers, Russia, deficits, use of nerve gas in war, interventionism in the ME... Trumpism is a personality cult, and has no real basis other than the desire of the unwashed to be gold star winners by association... as long as WASPs are the only winners.
He didn't just say they weren't obsolete anymore, he pretty much took credit for making them the New Nato.
"They made a change and now they do fight terrorism. I said it was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete," Trump said.

This, in much the same way the "jobs numbers used to be phony but aren't phony anymore", and China used to manipulate currencies, but not really.

Honestly, i couldn't even finish reading the transcript of that interview with Maria Bartiromo. He's so full of it, I'm going to watch a few episodes of Ancient Aliens so that the feeling of being fed bull **** subsides a little.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...iew-annotated/
Old 13th April 2017, 12:50 AM   #204
Tony Stark
Philosopher

According to Nate Silver: "Estes underperformed Trump's margin by 20.3 points. If every district behaved like that, Dems would gain 122 (!) House seats next November."

That is of course a big "if", but still, it shows how bad a result that Kansas special election was.

The Georgia special election for Tom Price's seat is looking pretty good.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:52 AM   #205
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Trump just attacked Iraq with 59 missiles.....no wait, It's that other countr..... I give up, There's no excuse - The Hair is a moron.

http://www.thejournal.ie/trump-syria...37600-Apr2017/

Hey Trump!!! Screw you! Btw, I live in Sweden!
But the cake was fantastic, good to know he has such a command of the important details. Also not surprised that the chinese guy he was talking to used the same phrases as Trump did..... Wonder if Trump gave the Chinese bloke a discount on the meal?
Old 13th April 2017, 12:53 AM   #206
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
He didn't just say they weren't obsolete anymore, he pretty much took credit for making them the New Nato.
"They made a change and now they do fight terrorism. I said it was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete," Trump said.

This, in much the same way the "jobs numbers used to be phony but aren't phony anymore", and China used to manipulate currencies, but not really.

Honestly, i couldn't even finish reading the transcript of that interview with Maria Bartiromo. He's so full of it, I'm going to watch a few episodes of Ancient Aliens so that the feeling of being fed bull **** subsides a little.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...iew-annotated/
What a lying and/or ignorant piece of garbage. The only time in NATO's near 70 year history that Article 5 (the one about mutual defense) has been invoked was because of 9/11.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:01 AM   #207
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Surely the midterm elections are next November? The mid point between Nov 2016 and Nov 2020 is Nov 2018. Which is next November.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:03 AM   #208
TofuFighter
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Surely the midterm elections are next November? The mid point between Nov 2016 and Nov 2020 is Nov 2018. Which is next November.
I was going to say this too, but the next november is...
Anyway. not a major point.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:04 AM   #209
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Where will november 2017 go then?
Old 13th April 2017, 01:13 AM   #210
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Where will november 2017 go then?
November 2017 is this November. Or just November.

Honestly, I've seen this confusion before and I've never understood it. If I'm going to see you on the 15th April I'd say "I'll see you on Saturday". If I'm going to see you on 22nd April I'd say "I'll see you next Saturday". There is no ambiguity unless you're being wilfully obtuse. The 'next' is short for next week, or in the case of a month, next year.

Last edited by Pixel42; 13th April 2017 at 01:17 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:23 AM   #211
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Honestly, I've seen this confusion before and I've never understood it. If I'm going to see you on the 15th April I'd say "I'll see you on Saturday". If I'm going to see you on 22nd April I'd say "I'll see you next Saturday". There is no ambiguity unless you're being wilfully obtuse. The 'next' is short for next week, or in the case of a month, next year.
I agree with this. I was going to point it out in my response to Firestone but decided it wasn't worth it.
Old 13th April 2017, 02:06 AM   #212
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Ok. I see where you're coming from.
Technically it might be correct. But is you say next november to me now I still think of coming november 2017. Nothing willfully obtuse in that.

It's just like if you say 'Next time we meet'. In that case you would mean the first time you will meet after that statement don't you and not the second time?
Same way with next november, meaning the first coming november that will arrive in time (the one from 2017 in this case).
Old 13th April 2017, 02:16 AM   #213
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

It may be a regional issue. I had a chemistry professor who was from India and refused to acknowledge the common use of "this" and "next" for days of the week. He became angry when students who were aware of the issue attempted to clarify for the benefit of other students.
Professor (on Monday): We're having a test next Wednesday.
Student: Do you mean two days from now or next week?
Professor: How many Wednesdays are there between now and two days from now? None! That is the next Wednesday!
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:22 AM   #214
3point14
Pi

Trump has basically flipped his position on China. Who would have thunk that either Trump is a liar or that the Chinese president is better at this than Trump?

Are the two mutually exclusive?

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:33 AM   #215
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Are the two mutually exclusive?
My point was that either Trump really intended to be tough on China, and then the Chinese president (and maybe his own people also) talked him out of it. Or he never really intended to be tough on them anyway. I'm not quite sure which is true.

In general, he is the most dishonest person to ever be president, by far.
Old 13th April 2017, 02:35 AM   #216
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Odd article. The author keeps referring to the president of China as "Jinping". It's President Xi. The surname comes first in Chinese (and most other East Asian languages). The author doesn't seem to understand this.

Trumpese word salad.
Someone should program a google translate-like translator that converts any language to Trumpian English, adding random words and phrases in the middle to sound like Trump.
Old 13th April 2017, 02:50 AM   #217
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Someone should program a google translate-like translator that converts any language to Trumpian English, adding random words and phrases in the middle to sound like Trump.

That's fairly easy.

If you like what he's saying, eh means it.

If you don't, it's not meant to be taken at face value, and what are you being so literal for anyway? It's only the spoken word of the elected leader of the United States of America, you can't expect him to say what he actually means.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 03:47 AM   #218
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I agree with this. I was going to point it out in my response to Firestone but decided it wasn't worth it.
This calls for a pedant thread in FC, and I'm your boy. Look for poll.

ETA: Thread here..... http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=318636

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 13th April 2017 at 04:17 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 04:29 AM   #219
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That's fairly easy.

If you like what he's saying, eh means it.

If you don't, it's not meant to be taken at face value, and what are you being so literal for anyway? It's only the spoken word of the elected leader of the United States of America, you can't expect him to say what he actually means.
Here's an example of the translation I'm thinking about.

English
"Trump is a clown."

Translate to Trump ->
"Let me tell you, and many people have told me, this Trump guy -- an amazing American, by the way -- he's amazing. And this isn't just me saying that. People are saying, not me, that he's the greatest clown that ever lived. A real entertainer. He got the biggest standing ovation ever. The biggest. By far, they say. And that's pretty incredible. I couldn't believe it myself."
Old 13th April 2017, 04:53 AM   #220
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Trump just attacked Iraq with 59 missiles.....no wait, It's that other countr..... I give up, There's no excuse - The Hair is a moron.

http://www.thejournal.ie/trump-syria...37600-Apr2017/

Hey Trump!!! Screw you! Btw, I live in Sweden!
You know, the Iraq/Syria screw up that's getting headlines doesn't really bother me that much. He goes on a tangent about Iraq before, pretty easy misstatement we all make.

But WHAT IN THE **** was that interview?

It fills me such disgust. The fawning, giggling reporter acting like a teen meeting her Hollywood idle. Trump with that coy ********, "People have been asking, they're so curious about how I did it..." It was like a reality show interview combined with an info-mercial, AND IT WAS ABOUT BOMBING.

That video sickened and terrified me.

Trump: "I'll, tell you, just cause you've been so nice to me," self-satisfied smirk.
Reporter: Teee-heee-heee

************. What is happening? How is this real?
TraneWreck is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 04:56 AM   #221
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
You know, the Iraq/Syria screw up that's getting headlines doesn't really bother me that much. He goes on a tangent about Iraq before, pretty easy misstatement we all make.

But WHAT IN THE **** was that interview?

It fills me such disgust. The fawning, giggling reporter acting like a teen meeting her Hollywood idle. Trump with that coy ********, "People have been asking, they're so curious about how I did it..." It was like a reality show interview combined with an info-mercial, AND IT WAS ABOUT BOMBING.

That video sickened and terrified me.

Trump: "I'll, tell you, just cause you've been so nice to me," self-satisfied smirk.
Reporter: Teee-heee-heee

************. What is happening? How is this real?
It was Fox.
Old 13th April 2017, 04:58 AM   #222
TraneWreck
Philosopher

It was Fox.
Fox + Trump.

There were plenty of times in the 00's where I watched a Fox News interview of Cheney or Rumsfeld or Bush and wanted to throw something at the tv.

Nothing like this. It was like Access Hollywood. I'm surprised they didn't have techno music playing in the background and a quick cut to sneaky beach photo of Jennifer Lawrence.

That *********** guy is president. It just....how...why...what....my god. We are done. Wrap the country up now.
TraneWreck is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:01 AM   #223
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Fox + Trump.

There were plenty of times in the 00's where I watched a Fox News interview of Cheney or Rumsfeld or Bush and wanted to throw something at the tv.

Nothing like this. It was like Access Hollywood. I'm surprised they didn't have techno music playing in the background and a quick cut to sneaky beach photo of Jennifer Lawrence.

That *********** guy is president. It just....how...why...what....my god. We are done. Wrap the country up now.
Well, I didn't watch the interview myself so maybe you're right. And now I don't really want to.

Simply the fact that this country elected Donald Trump president means there is something deeply wrong with it.
Old 13th April 2017, 05:02 AM   #224
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Well, I didn't watch the interview myself so maybe you're right. And now I don't really want to.

Simply the fact that this country elected Donald Trump president means there is something deeply wrong with it.
I highly recommend watching it. It's like nothing I've ever seen in politics. It may make your eyes bleed, but it's worth seeing.

If you thought your opinion of Trump and Fox News couldn't get any lower, watch it.

The whole premise is sickening: bragging about ordering a bombing over chocolate cake, wowing the Chinese president with his badassness. Jesus....just the complete self-satisfaction of everyone involved....

Last edited by TraneWreck; 13th April 2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 13th April 2017, 05:05 AM   #225
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I highly recommend watching it. It's like nothing I've ever seen in politics. It may make your eyes bleed, but it's worth seeing.

If you thought your opinion of Trump and Fox News couldn't get any lower, watch it.

The whole premise is sickening: bragging about ordering a bombing over chocolate cake, wowing the Chinese president with his badassness. Jesus....
I could barely watch that Superbowl interview he gave with Bill O'Reilly and this sounds much worse. I guess I will though.
Old 13th April 2017, 05:07 AM   #226
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I could barely watch that Superbowl interview he gave with Bill O'Reilly and this sounds much worse. I guess I will though.
If you have any smug-repellent gear, put it on first.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:46 AM   #227
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Value of the US Dollar drops after Trump says it's "too strong".

Quote:
The dollar dropped 0.7%, a major move, after Trump told the Wall Street Journal that the dollar is "getting too strong."

"I think our dollar is getting too strong, and partially that's my fault because people have confidence in me," Trump said. "But that's hurting -- that will hurt ultimately."

You have to love the self-aggrandizing that he threw in. Who knew that international finance could be so complicated?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:48 AM   #228
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Another win for trump!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 07:09 AM   #229
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

"People have confidence in me."

Yeah, I'm just gonna leave that there.
Old 13th April 2017, 07:12 AM   #230
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It took a 10-minute conversation with Xi to convince Trump that the NK situation is not so simple. The situation isn't, but he is.

Oh, wait...article says "not so easy". That works too.
Old 13th April 2017, 07:16 AM   #231
Argumemnon
World Maker

You have to love the self-aggrandizing that he threw in. Who knew that international finance could be so complicated?
I love how just after he said it was strong because people had confidence in him, it dropped by 0.7%.
Old 13th April 2017, 07:18 AM   #232
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

...Estes kept the seat for the GOP (by a dangerously small margin).
Fake News! And millions of illegals voted for the Democrat!

Last edited by Trebuchet; 13th April 2017 at 07:22 AM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 08:13 AM   #233
lomiller
Philosopher

Yawn, and yet again the exact opposite of what he campaigned on:

http://www.businessinsider.com/we-ar...-yellen-2016-9
Old 13th April 2017, 09:52 AM   #234
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I learned a new acronym today -- "MOAB". The implications and uncertainty are strong.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:59 AM   #235
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I noticed that.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 10:02 AM   #236
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But the cake was fantastic, good to know he has such a command of the important details. Also not surprised that the chinese guy he was talking to used the same phrases as Trump did..... Wonder if Trump gave the Chinese bloke a discount on the meal?
I can just imagine the dinner conversation, one guy at the table constantly bragging about everything from the food to how good the pictures all over the place of Trump look. Wonder how many times he said the cake was fantastic.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 10:26 AM   #237
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Oooh... I see someone told Trump that the MOAB hasn't been deployed in combat yet.

So much for that.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politi...omb/index.html

I'm waiting in baited breath to see how little it did to curb terrorism, and how many innocent people died.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:53 AM   #238
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I learned a new acronym today -- "MOAB". The implications and uncertainty are strong.
Talking heads on TV love explosions. Trump yearns for their approval so he will bomb things.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 10:58 AM   #239
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Trump: Okay Tomahawks were cool. What else we got?
Joint Chiefs: Smart bombs we can drop from B-52s.
Trump: Boring. I want something YUGE!
Joint Chiefs: We do have a really big bomb we've never found a reason to use.
Trump: How big?
Joint Chiefs: Biggest non-nuclear bomb we got.
Trump: Find a reason!
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:23 AM   #240
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Trump: Okay Tomahawks were cool. What else we got?
Joint Chiefs: Smart bombs we can drop from B-52s.
Trump: Boring. I want something YUGE!
Joint Chiefs: We do have a really big bomb we've never found a reason to use.
Trump: How big?
Joint Chiefs: Biggest non-nuclear bomb we got.
Trump: Find a reason!
I'll be waiting on the damage report before I go all-in with my concerns, but if the target was ISIS tunnel complexes why use an air burst?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics