ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2017 elections , Georgia elections , Georgia politics , Jon Ossoff

Old 18th April 2017, 06:34 PM   #1
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Ossoff is at 55% with half the vote in/Georgia special election

If he stays above 50% he'll win without a runoff.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/res...ion-district-6

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Where are the Russian hackers when the Republicans need them?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:05 PM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Where are the Russian hackers when the Republicans need them?
Busy with the other Georgia?
Old 18th April 2017, 07:25 PM   #4
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If he stays above 50% he'll win without a runoff.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/res...ion-district-6

And I should care that a third world country has a rigged election because why?
Old 18th April 2017, 07:26 PM   #5
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

With electronic, unverifiable voting, don't hold your breath. This is the same election committee that decided that it wasn't a big deal when they were hacked last time.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:42 PM   #6
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Can he win a runoff?
Old 18th April 2017, 07:46 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Can he win a runoff?
It'd be very close, but yes, depending on more stupid crap coming from Trump. His robocall was full of the same wolf crying as his whole election and that truly is wearing thin on people. Of course it should have worn thin after the GOP Primary so who knows?

Ossoff is actually very intelligent, a convincing politician, someone to watch.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th April 2017 at 07:47 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Cleon
King of the Pod People

It's just a hair over 50% now. It's gonna be REALLY close to avoid a runoff.

Last edited by Cleon; 18th April 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 08:40 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

No new results have come in for quite a while. Still at 50.3%.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:03 PM   #10
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Currently at 48.6%

According to Nate Cohn, "There's around 15k GOP-leaning vote left. I'd guess that brings Ossoff down to around 47.7 when it's all through."
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Sigh, well, at least there's still the runoff.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Apparently there was a bad data card that stopped counting for a while. Counting has resumed, and it's looking like a runoff. Crap.

I'm NOT looking forward to this dominating the local media cycle for the next couple of months.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:43 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Apparently there was a bad data card that stopped counting for a while. Counting has resumed, and it's looking like a runoff. Crap.

I'm NOT looking forward to this dominating the local media cycle for the next couple of months.
By the time they have the runoff, it'll almost be time for the 2018 election.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:46 PM   #14
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

...okay: I've finally gotten my head around the electoral college. Now you 'Mercan's need to be explaining this further for the rest of us. You need to get over 50% to avoid a "run off?" Why is that? Are all House Seats elected this way?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...okay: I've finally gotten my head around the electoral college. Now you 'Mercan's need to be explaining this further for the rest of us. You need to get over 50% to avoid a "run off?" Why is that? Are all House Seats elected this way?
No, just this one. And it has nothing to do with the EC, just Georgia's special election rules.

The rest of the time, the parties would have nominated the candidates so there would only be one Democrat and one Republican candidate. In some cases like this one a governor would just appoint the replacement.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th April 2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:56 PM   #16
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

No, just this one. And it has nothing to do with the EC, just Georgia's special election rules.

The rest of the time, the parties would have nominated the candidates so there would only be one Democrat and one Republican candidate. In some cases like this one a governor would just appoint the replacement.
...I know this had nothing to do with the electoral college: what I meant is I've finally gotten my head around the ridiculous electoral college. Now we have a "special election" which really isn't a "special election", but a "pre-election?"

So can we back up a bit?

These rules are Georgia specific, and only for a special election? Why are only two possible candidates? What stops an independent candidate running? Why 50%? And how do you guys just know this stuff?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 11:30 PM   #17
ddt
Mafia Penguin

It's usually called a "jungle primary" and some states have it as a rule for the normal elections as well. For instance, the California Senate seat that was up for election last November, was contested between two Democrats because they came ahead out of the jungle primary.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 11:32 PM   #18
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Sigh, well, at least there's still the runoff.
Doesn't that mean that Trump has two more months to do stupid things and thus poison the chances of the GOP candidate?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 11:42 PM   #19
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

... it also means the Republicans have two more months to find make up dirt about Ossoff.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:48 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

...I know this had nothing to do with the electoral college: what I meant is I've finally gotten my head around the ridiculous electoral college. Now we have a "special election" which really isn't a "special election", but a "pre-election?"

So can we back up a bit?

These rules are Georgia specific, and only for a special election? Why are only two possible candidates? What stops an independent candidate running? Why 50%? And how do you guys just know this stuff?
Yes, Georgia specific.

If this were the regular year election (All House members up for election every 2 years), Independents could run. The Ds and Rs would put up their candidates chosen in primary elections.

Special elections are held when a member of Congress (Senate or House) leaves office before the term is up. Then it is up to state rules how that seat is filled. In this case, Georgia has an election where if anyone gets >50%, they win the seat. If no one does (as happened tonight), then there is a runoff of the top two.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:52 PM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
... it also means the Republicans have two more months to find make up dirt about Ossoff.
It's really tiresome, isn't it. When are the voters going to wise up to this repeating strategy?

Or, when are the Democrats going to figure out how you counter the crap?

In this case, I hear (haven't verified) that Ossoff grew up in this district. The GOP is harping on his not living in the district. (Not sure what Georgia rules are.) So Ossoff needs to emphasize this is his home turf.

I don't know his background, but listening to him, he's one smart guy. That needs to be marketed.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:55 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Doesn't that mean that Trump has two more months to do stupid things and thus poison the chances of the GOP candidate?
We can dream.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:56 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
It's usually called a "jungle primary" and some states have it as a rule for the normal elections as well. For instance, the California Senate seat that was up for election last November, was contested between two Democrats because they came ahead out of the jungle primary.
Ah, thank you for the correction.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:47 AM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

This being such a pivotal vote, the Democratic Party will undoubtedly pour all their efforts and money into his campaign.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:55 AM   #25
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

It could still be interesting.

The GOP mud-slinging will consist of him being a carpetbagger, which could stick to an extent. It will also consist of the type of stuff the Orange Buffoon tweeted, which probably won't mean a thing.

Handel's a bona fide political hack and will run on her credentials as "an independent gal" as she calls herself, but her positions read like a I Heart Donald candidate. In a district that Trump nearly lost, Ossoff could take it.

The two top GOP candidates in the vote were both Trump-ish Republicans - Handel didn't run for anything on Trump's coattails but she's a typical Georgia reactionary: anti-abortion, tried to defund Planned Parenthood, pro-wall, cutting waste(read: drain the swamp).... I think either she or Gray are a lock for the conservative vote - the question is how many moderate Republicans might be in the district. A sufficient number of them held their noses long enough to vote for Hillary.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:29 AM   #26
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

There's possibly more dirt on this kid still to come, but all I heard yesterday was that they accused him of padding his resume a tad... something about how much responsibility he actually had on issues/policy development in whatever political office he previously staffed.

Unfortunately, if there was follow up (and details) I missed it. And haven't bothered to look into it.

Oppo takes a little time... I figured, if it's there, we'll all be hearing about it soon.

But as a non local, this felt pretty fast. Am I wrong?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 19th April 2017 at 05:30 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:24 AM   #27
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It could still be interesting.

The GOP mud-slinging will consist of him being a carpetbagger, which could stick to an extent. It will also consist of the type of stuff the Orange Buffoon tweeted, which probably won't mean a thing.

Handel's a bona fide political hack and will run on her credentials as "an independent gal" as she calls herself, but her positions read like a I Heart Donald candidate. In a district that Trump nearly lost, Ossoff could take it.

The two top GOP candidates in the vote were both Trump-ish Republicans - Handel didn't run for anything on Trump's coattails but she's a typical Georgia reactionary: anti-abortion, tried to defund Planned Parenthood, pro-wall, cutting waste(read: drain the swamp).... I think either she or Gray are a lock for the conservative vote - the question is how many moderate Republicans might be in the district. A sufficient number of them held their noses long enough to vote for Hillary.
Lol
No actually it will be about Assoff being LIBERAL! This is a red state!

And of course the left is looking at this as a win, lol, as they always do with losses.

So once again, I really hate to say it, the leftists lost again!!!
When in the hell is your side going to win?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:26 AM   #28
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
And, as we know, it's all about tribalism.

Quote:
How have they lost with their candidate still in the race?
Old 19th April 2017, 09:29 AM   #29
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
A sufficient number of them held their noses long enough to vote for Hillary.
Lol
I, remember that! When all the buffoons in the media said Hills was going to win Georgia, and surprise, she didn't. Oh well, on to the next insignificant election.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:32 AM   #30
Argumemnon
World Maker

Lol
You know that's not an argument, right?
Old 19th April 2017, 09:32 AM   #31
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
And, as we know, it's all about tribalism.
Meaning the republicans should have just given it to him. You do realise why it's called a race?

Quote:
How have they lost with their candidate still in the race?
probably the same way the candidate looks at it as a win? Surprising I have to answer that given your supposed moderate views.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:34 AM   #32
logger
Philosopher

You know that's not an argument, right?
Correct, it's a small fun part of the argument.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:46 AM   #33
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Lol
Which is of course the point... A liberal running in a 'red state', in a seat that had been easily won by the republicans in the past, almost manages to get a majority vote.

If voters who have traditionally voted republican in the past look at Trump and the current makeup of Congress and say "Maybe I don't want this", then it can have an effect on future elections.

Quote:
And of course the left is looking at this as a win, lol, as they always do with losses.
The Democratic candidate got many, many more votes than any of his rivals. In an area where the democrats have not had recent success.

It may not be a 100% 'win', but its certainly not a loss.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:48 AM   #34
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Meaning the republicans should have just given it to him. You do realise why it's called a race?

probably the same way the candidate looks at it as a win? Surprising I have to answer that given your supposed moderate views.
Mr. Ossof can look at it as a win as he got more votes then any of the other candidates. Based on how democracy generally works, that would normally have handed him the victory.

That being said, for some reason the State of Georgia feels that if a candidate in this sort of election can't just win the popular vote but must beat all of the losers combined, then the worst of the losing candidates are eliminated and the loser has another chance, because maybe the loser's team is more popular then the winner's.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #35
Argumemnon
World Maker

I'm struggling to understand how this relates to what you quoted.

Quote:
Again, this is completely meaningless. Ossoff didn't lose. He's still in the race. That is a fact, and it has nothing to do with political leanings.

Quote:
Correct, it's a small fun part of the argument.
No, it's not part of the argument at all. It just shows that you react with those who merely disagree with your views with ridicule.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:12 AM   #36
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Mr. Ossof can look at it as a win as he got more votes then any of the other candidates. Based on how democracy generally works, that would normally have handed him the victory.
Yeah the GOP candidates can thank their false god that the US doesn't use the Canadian system.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:18 AM   #37
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Lol

Why do you hate America?

Serious question.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:18 AM   #38
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah the GOP candidates can thank their false god that the US doesn't use the Canadian system.
Out of curiosity, do all US congressional district elections use this multiple runoff approach? Or does the state that contains the district decide?
Old 19th April 2017, 11:30 AM   #39
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Lol

Didn't they win a bunch of stuff in November?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:57 AM   #40
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Why do you hate America?

Serious question.
I have no doubt that you think that's a serious question. To me that's a question based on pure emotion.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics