ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:19 PM   #1241
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, this is weird. No-one's had a call for over 20 minutes, and our email queue is down to 7. Something's about to happen. I can feel it.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 02:54 AM   #1242
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Okay, this is weird. No-one's had a call for over 20 minutes, and our email queue is down to 7. Something's about to happen. I can feel it.
And no one has heard from Arth for 6 hours... the invasion has started!
Old 15th August 2019, 04:57 AM   #1243
Wudang
BOFH

I remember sitting in the Ops control room at IBM UK circa 1984 and

"The phones are quiet."
"Yeah too quiet"
<all jump to master consoles>
"<expletive> We just lost machine room B! Man the phones!"
Old 15th August 2019, 06:21 AM   #1244
Donal
Illuminator

They are saving everything for Friday afternoon
Old 15th August 2019, 06:46 AM   #1245
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear Users.

If you forgot your password... just admit you forgot your password.

I promise I won't judge you (I forget passwords and need them reset all the time, there's no shame in it) and it will make the process go a LOT faster than a 30 minute game of you pretending you still remember your password and insisting up and down that the system is "locking you out for no reason."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:00 AM   #1246
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Years ago, while I was working for PacifiCare in So Cal, they had a big meeting one day where they announced we would all be outsourced to Keane.

They called it "sourcing", as if we all didn't know that sourcing meant outsourcing.

Anyway, one operations guy was so mad he flipped the emergency power cut-off switch on his way out the door. Shutdown all the servers and the mainframe. Everything.

He was arrested later that day, PacifiCare claimed $10 million in damages.

I think he probably regretted that decision.

Last edited by Faydra; 15th August 2019 at 10:01 AM.
Faydra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:06 AM   #1247
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Years ago, while I was working for PacifiCare in So Cal, they had a big meeting one day where they announced we would all be outsourced to Keane.

They called it "sourcing", as if we all didn't know that sourcing meant outsourcing.

Anyway, one operations guy was so mad he flipped the emergency power cut-off switch on his way out the door. Shutdown all the servers and the mainframe. Everything.

He was arrested later that day, PacifiCare claimed $10 million in damages.

I think he probably regretted that decision.
We had a similar situation, although accidental. We had some plumbing issues in one of our data centers, The lines were drained so the plumbers could work on it.

Unfortunately, the emergency power shutoff for the data center was linked to a sensor that monitored pressure in the sprinkler system (so the power would cut off automatically if the sprinklers went off).

Oops.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:32 AM   #1248
CORed
Philosopher

Maybe your phones and email are down.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 11:04 AM   #1249
Wudang
BOFH

The machine rooms at IBM North Harbour were water cooled sourced from the lake beside it. A local "poet" somehow slipped through the badge-controlled doors with his dog so he could use the photocopiers. Somehow when security ejected him his poems got lost. So in revenge a few times he threw plastic sheeting over the intake for the water and shut down the power. It took so long to do the power up and get all the mainframes restarted we'd head for the pub.
Old 15th August 2019, 05:08 PM   #1250
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dear Users.

If you forgot your password... just admit you forgot your password.

I promise I won't judge you (I forget passwords and need them reset all the time, there's no shame in it) and it will make the process go a LOT faster than a 30 minute game of you pretending you still remember your password and insisting up and down that the system is "locking you out for no reason."
Did once come across something like this and the tech support bloke was insisting a colleague was repeatedly mistyping his password, the colleague asked me to type it in, and it still wouldn't accept it. Tech support eventually very reluctantly came down to my colleagues PC and it wouldn't let the tech guy log in with the admin user account password. Took quite sometime to find the problem. My colleague had been evaluating the latest milestone build of the game he was producing. Ended up being a bug in the installer which had remapped the keyboard to an azerty layout.
Old 15th August 2019, 05:08 PM   #1251
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Maybe your phones and email are down.
He should contact tech support.
Old 15th August 2019, 05:16 PM   #1252
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have to sleep sometime, friends!

arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 05:34 PM   #1253
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I really love it when someone books and pays for an online training course, and then discovers that the training provider requires an obscure piece of unsecured and untested webinar software that they need to download and install on their computer, which they aren't allowed to do because security. And then I love it when they call me and I have to tell them they're not allowed to use that meeting software. And I love it when they yell at me.

Old 19th August 2019, 06:18 PM   #1254
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I really love it when someone books and pays for an online training course, and then discovers that the training provider requires an obscure piece of unsecured and untested webinar software that they need to download and install on their computer, which they aren't allowed to do because security. And then I love it when they call me and I have to tell them they're not allowed to use that meeting software. And I love it when they yell at me.
To be fair, I don't really think this is the user's fault. I hope your firm presses the vendor to refund the training fee, and blacklists them until they pay off their tech debt. Or go out of business. Either way.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:51 PM   #1255
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
To be fair, I don't really think this is the user's fault. I hope your firm presses the vendor to refund the training fee, and blacklists them until they pay off their tech debt. Or go out of business. Either way.
I work for government, not commercial.

Old 19th August 2019, 08:38 PM   #1256
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I work for government, not commercial.
I feel your pain...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 09:28 PM   #1257
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I feel your pain...
Nono. I love working for government. Public servants have a Code of Conduct.

Old 19th August 2019, 09:40 PM   #1258
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Nono. I love working for government. Public servants have a Code of Conduct.
All perfectly formatted and stored in multiple safe locations. Which they studiously ignore most of the time.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 09:42 PM   #1259
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

All perfectly formatted and stored in multiple safe locations. Which they studiously ignore most of the time.
In twenty years of doing phone support, for the public service, in Canberra, I have only ever once had to report someone for breaching the Code.

Old 19th August 2019, 09:54 PM   #1260
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

In twenty years of doing phone support, for the public service, in Canberra, I have only ever once had to report someone for breaching the Code.
Neither have we. We can't find the darn document either!
Old 19th August 2019, 10:51 PM   #1261
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Neither have we. We can't find the darn document either!
It's here.

https://www.apsc.gov.au/code-conduct

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #1262
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Dexter had a code.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #1263
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Dexter had a code.
I hab a code, too. Dow by Alexa doesd't udderstad me.
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #1264
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I just had to assist one of my newer colleagues with one of the worst callers I have ever encountered, and now I'm shaking like a leaf. Remember how I said I'd only had to report someone for a breach of the Code of Conduct a couple of times in my career? Well, it just happened again. Guy was absolutely frothing. You bet we're reporting this one.

I need to visualise a peaceful meadow for a while now.

Old Today, 07:32 AM   #1265
catsmate
No longer the 1

I just had to assist one of my newer colleagues with one of the worst callers I have ever encountered, and now I'm shaking like a leaf. Remember how I said I'd only had to report someone for a breach of the Code of Conduct a couple of times in my career? Well, it just happened again. Guy was absolutely frothing. You bet we're reporting this one.

Would you be interested in supporting my new logon token? It's worn as a wristband and can remotely deliver an electric shock.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:35 AM   #1266
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

In Oz, how would you know what that looks like?
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #1267
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you're one up on me. I've never had to report anyone for violating my employer's code of conduct.

I did lose a contractor from my team, though. He engaged an employee in the parking lot, to harangue them about their unsafe driving habits, and managed to cross a very bright line in the code of conduct. Security was called, his badge and computer were confiscated, and he was escorted off the property. His contract was terminated that morning.

Anyway, every decent organization seems to have a Code of Conduct, but as you have illustrated yourself, they don't actually prevent bad behavior.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #1268
Faydra
sinning sybarite

We have a new contractor on the team and this morning he was commenting on the techs from India who often times call people by their last name.

He said he would be upset by that and I chuckled. I've been called by my last name countless times, it's nothing to be upset about - it's either a cultural thing or it's people not understanding how commas work.

Mostly, the people I interact with are delightful.
Faydra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet