ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 07:48 AM   #81
Drewbot
Philosopher

Another thing, I can't even find "East Lower Water Street" in Chicago
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:52 AM   #82
Drewbot
Philosopher

Real question is, why would he go to Subway?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:52 AM   #83
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Wrong time of day (late morning as opposed to middle of the night). So, as I said, got any evidence? And do you know this was made a Piority 1 call?
From what I understand, he went to Subway at 2, and "shortly after" was attacked. He "made contact" with cops at 2:43.

It doesn't mean he called the cops and they only arrived 45 minutes later.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:53 AM   #84
Drewbot
Philosopher

Reading more into it, it said he walked on his own to the hospital.
I think Police were called there.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:55 AM   #85
angrysoba
Philosophile

Is this a serious question? As in, "I cannot believe that anyone would ever eat at Subway!" It stays in business so somebody must do.

Or

"Why would a celebrity eat at Subway when they can get roast peasant on toast delivered to their door on a silver platter?"

Or...or...what?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:55 AM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus Christ man maybe he just wanted to go to frickin' Subway?

So what a wealthy, famous-ish gay black man going to Subway is sinister?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:04 AM   #87
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

I imagine he was just looking for a footlong.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:04 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It is always sinister when the wealthy eat fast food, see Billionaire Trump claiming to eat fast food all the time. That is totally unbelievable to everyone.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:06 AM   #89
sadhatter
Philosopher

Which according to some people on this board is literally every crime against black people ever.

And really this whole "Oh black people... don't you be lying now I might not believe you in the future" would come across as a lot more genuine if there was a chance the usual suspects are ever going to believe a report of a white on black crime isn't just race baiting by those uppity colored folks.
You realize you just set up a no win contest right?

If someone thinks it's fake they are obviously racist. So no need to look at their evidence.

If it is fake it doesn't matter because people only thought it fake because they were racist.

There is no way for your point to be disproven. That isn't skepticism, that is faith.

Whether this happened or not is secondary to the fact that you are afraid enough of being wrong and having to examine your views that you feel the need to set up a "heads I win tails you lose" scenario to avoid this.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:06 AM   #90
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Another thing, I can't even find "East Lower Water Street" in Chicago
Lower East South Water Street. You guys have such imaginative names.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:07 AM   #91
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The only thing I can think of is a domestic dispute where he still wants to protect his partner.
That was my thought.

People are saying swollen face as if it was beaten. But if it is actually swollen then it is uniform throughout his face and not specific areas. Also he has light skin which should show bruising if he was beaten.

I look at the cheek cut and see that it is not continuous. It reminds me of a fingernail scratch, or something else was dragged across the cheek.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:08 AM   #92
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Personally, I feel the lack of video evidence and the idea he walked around with a noose around his neck for 45 minutes is a bit troubling.
Even a grainy glimpse of two men in the general vicinity at the time and evidence of bleach on the ground at the crime scene would be helpful.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:09 AM   #93
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Reading more into it, it said he walked on his own to the hospital.
I think Police were called there.
So you withdraw this then, I take it:

I've been to that part of Chicago, the cops are quick to respond.

This wasn't the South Side, this was Streeterville.

no way 45 minutes from time of attack to the cops getting there.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:13 AM   #94
Drewbot
Philosopher

Sinister?
What? It's just kind of gross. A subway open at 2AM, you know how long that tuna fish has been sitting out?
Old 30th January 2019, 08:14 AM   #95
The Big Dog

He wasn't on a scooter, he was out wandering around in 5 degree temperatures on lower level streets in Chicago.

He undoubtedly slipped on ice and fell and got a teeny cut on his face and maybe broke a rib.

No maga chanting white supremacists will ever be found of course
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:16 AM   #96
Belz...
Fiend God

Sinister?
What? It's just kind of gross. A subway open at 2AM, you know how long that tuna fish has been sitting out?
Dude, it's cooked.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:18 AM   #97
baron

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The most questionable thing about this is two white racists recognizing an actor from Empire.
Well, that and the idea that two white racists would walk around wearing ski masks, carrying bleach and a noose, in the streets of a big city, without being seen by another living soul, just in case they bumped into a famous black man.

It's got everything but a burning cross.

Last edited by baron; 30th January 2019 at 08:19 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:18 AM   #98
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
He wasn't on a scooter, he was out wandering around in 5 degree temperatures on lower level streets in Chicago.

He undoubtedly slipped on ice and fell and got a teeny cut on his face and maybe broke a rib.

No maga chanting white supremacists will ever be found of course
The idea that there were MAGA white supremacists going round at 2 in the morning with nooses and "chemicals that might have been bleach" seems odd indeed, but your scenario that he was out, slipped on some ice and then decided, "I know, I'll just find some nearby rope and some bleach, walk to the hospital and claim it was MAGA guys" seems even more bizarre and unbelievable.

Old 30th January 2019, 08:19 AM   #99
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Even a grainy glimpse of two men in the general vicinity at the time and evidence of bleach on the ground at the crime scene would be helpful.
It's easy to know if a person has been doused with bleach. Strong odor and the clothing turns white right in front of your eyes.

Reports seem uncertain about the identity of the liquid but bleach ought to be unmistakable.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:19 AM   #100
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Dude, it's cooked.
They also only put set amounts out at a time so it's consistently being replaced.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:20 AM   #101
baron

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The idea that there were MAGA white supremacists going round at 2 in the morning with nooses and "chemicals that might have been bleach" seems odd indeed, but your scenario that he was out, slipped on some ice and then decided, "I know, I'll just find some nearby rope and some bleach, walk to the hospital and claim it was MAGA guys" seems even more bizarre and unbelievable.
What noose? What bleach?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:20 AM   #102
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Well, that and the idea that two white racists would walk around wearing ski masks, carrying bleach and a noose, in the streets of a big city, without being seen by another living soul, just in case they bumped into a famous black man.

The same guy they sent a letter to a couple of weeks back...in another city.

Yeah, this doesn't make complete sense, but some of the alternatives make less sense.

Old 30th January 2019, 08:21 AM   #103
angrysoba
Philosophile

What noose? What bleach?
Maybe the ones you referenced earlier?

Old 30th January 2019, 08:21 AM   #104
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Jesus Upholstery Christ, not only must everyone take sides immediately but they are all remote CSI investigators! If you're that bored, have at it, but don't delude yourselves that there's anything of proper skepticism in this wild speculation. When did withholding judgment until evidence turned up become so unfashionable here? Criminy, this place is no better than the comments on Gawker.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:26 AM   #105
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Sinister?
There’s a 24 hour subway within staggering distance of a pub I used to close on a regular basis. I was worried more about their customers at that hour than I was their food.

The feeling was likely mutual.

The better you get, the harder you work.

Last edited by AJM8125; 30th January 2019 at 08:28 AM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:29 AM   #106
baron

Maybe the ones you referenced earlier?
I was being facetious. My point is, where is the evidence of this noose, and this bleach, and further to that, where is the evidence they were used as reported.

Last edited by baron; 30th January 2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:31 AM   #107
The Big Dog

He didn't go directly to the hospital, he went to a friends house.

where one might find things like "bleach" and a "rope"

He went to the hospital later after the CPD had left
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:32 AM   #108
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Jesus Upholstery Christ, not only must everyone take sides immediately but they are all remote CSI investigators! If you're that bored, have at it, but don't delude yourselves that there's anything of proper skepticism in this wild speculation. When did withholding judgment until evidence turned up become so unfashionable here? Criminy, this place is no better than the comments on Gawker.
Its because of the polarization.

When everyone is on the attack or defense 24/7 every race related anything becomes a battleground. People are trying to get the high ground, as no matter how this turns out it is going to be blacks versus whites in the forum.

You know, solid progress toward equality.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:33 AM   #109
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

My point is, where is the evidence of this noose, and this bleach, and further to that, where is the evidence they were used as reported.
In the testimony of the alleged victim, which is admissible as evidence in any sanely regulated courtroom. I think the word you were looking for is "proof".

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:38 AM   #110
angrysoba
Philosophile

I was being facetious. My point is, where is the evidence of this noose, and this bleach, and further to that, where is the evidence they were used as reported.
According to the TMZ report, the Chicago cops saw him wearing it.

Quote:
Chicago PD confirms to TMZ Jussie told them, in a follow-up interview, about the attackers yelling, "MAGA country."

They add Jussie still had the rope around his neck when he made contact with cops at 2:42 AM. Remember, the attack happened around 2 AM.

Old 30th January 2019, 08:39 AM   #111
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
So you withdraw this then, I take it:
I already explained this. It took police 10 minutes from the time of the 911 call. It was 45 minutes from the time of the alleged attack. After the alleged attack he went to his friend's apartment where his friend called 911. The police weren't called until 35 minutes after the attack.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:42 AM   #112
baron

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
In the testimony of the alleged victim, which is admissible as evidence in any sanely regulated courtroom. I think the word you were looking for is "proof".
Thanks, but the word I was looking for was 'evidence', which is why I used it. Evidence as heard in a courtroom is a separate definition of the word and relates only to testimony given in a courtroom setting. It is a legal term. I was using the generic definition, meaning information which goes some way to proving (or disproving) something. There has been no legal hearing in this instance and therefore the only evidence I could be talking about is the latter definition.

If everybody would stop trying to score points by pretending I don't know the definition of common English words these threads would be a lot less cluttered, and posters wouldn't end up coming unstuck time and again.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:45 AM   #113
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I read a report that said it was just a thin rope and did not resemble a noose.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:50 AM   #114
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I read a report saying that he didn't identify the race of the attackers. IOW, he didn't say that they were white even when asked.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:54 AM   #115
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Another question is, why does he order mayonnaise and just leave it behind.

Last edited by Senex; 30th January 2019 at 09:00 AM.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:56 AM   #116
baron

According to the TMZ report, the Chicago cops saw him wearing it.

Quote:
They add Jussie still had the rope around his neck when he made contact with cops at 2:42 AM. Remember, the attack happened around 2 AM.
That's even more damning. Someone put a 'noose' around his neck as part of an attack (how does that happen?) and not only did he wander around wearing it for 30 minutes, he continued to wear it for another ten after he'd called round at his mate's house? What the..?
Old 30th January 2019, 08:59 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
TM, there's still open spots in my Hind-Wing political party I'm making. We're all about not taking sides since apparently, that's taking a side as well; might as well take that to heart. As discussed earlier our symbol is the microraptor, which actually had hind wings.

We're currently at one member it seems, but I hope to grow in the next quarter.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:17 AM   #118
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
are you size shaming his partner?

and while having the noose still around his neck is fascinating, I see no mention of the bleached stained clothes that should be a result of having bleach poured on someone. much less, the distinct odor of bleach. Unless he was naked of course.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:19 AM   #119
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

There are plenty of white on black crimes.
But a drunk guy falling off a Lime Scooter, and then making up an attack by white folks is just terrible.
I see. So it's suspicious that there's no video evidence of the attackers yet you assume he fell off a bike on those same well-scanned city streets and no one has a record of it. Or that he was in a bar fight... in a bar that has no CCTV and apparently no other patrons to have witnessed the event.

As hypotheticals go, this one really sucks.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:23 AM   #120
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've never seen the show he's on, is it any good?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events