IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media criticism , murder cases , simone biles

Old 30th August 2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN uses an innocent person's name for headlines

So CNN has an article on their front page about a murder and the suspect.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/30/us/cl...rnd/index.html
Quote:
On the night of the shooting, a group of uninvited guests walked into a home and a fight began, authorities said. The fight led to the shooting and multiple people were hit.

Two people -- Delvaunte Johnson, 19, and Toshaun Banks, 21 -- died at the scene. A third person, Devaughn Gibson, 23, later died at a hospital.

Tevin Biles-Thomas is charged with murder, voluntary manslaughter, felonious assault and perjury in a December 31, 2018, fatal shooting in Cleveland. The charges were announced in a joint statement from Cleveland Police and the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office.
The above quote is the details of the incident.
But the article was headlined on CNN's front page as Simone Biles' brother charged in 3 killings

What kind of bull **** is this? Do they really hate Simone Biles enough to drag her into this? Probably not. But they are willing to drag her name into it to get reader attention to their website for the ad revenue.

Quote:
CNN has reached out to Simone Biles for comment.
I'd be very surprised if Ms. Biles had anything to say to CNN other than **** off!

Quote:
Last night she tweeted, "Eating my feelings don't talk to me." She also liked a few tweets Friday morning, including one that said, "This is exactly why I hate the media in America. Has nothing to do with @Simone_Biles don't drag her name through the mud because of something her brother did. She's an American Icon & Hero for little girls everywhere."
Well no ****.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:05 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I totally thought CNN was her friend!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Joe Random
Illuminator

My newsfeed shows near identical headlines for this event, one from CNN and one from Fox, right next to each other. Would be totally shocked if there weren't more outlets doing the same thing. Which is a thousand miles away from me saying it's okay, just that it's to be expected.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:31 AM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I jusy saw the same thing on the BBC page.
Old 30th August 2019, 09:56 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Yes everyone does it. Yes it's reprehensible. Yes "the media" often does sucky things.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Venom
Philosopher

Hate when the media does this stupid ****. Sounds like a YouTube video title.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 10:53 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

News is what is of interest to the masses. It's not what's necessary, logical, or good for the masses to know.
Old 30th August 2019, 10:59 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
News is what is of interest to the masses. It's not what's necessary, logical, or good for the masses to know.
True but that's what separates a gossip rag from and ostensibly professional news source.

This is a TMZ headline, not a CNN headline.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:13 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
True but that's what separates a gossip rag from and ostensibly professional news source.

The actor who played the slutty plastic surgeon on Nip/Tuck is the son of a former prime minister of Australia. That's hardly important or useful to know, but it is interesting.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:16 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think the big mistake is making distinctions like this. CNN and TMZ are both click-baiting attention whores. One of them just dresses up prettier most of the time.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:21 AM   #11
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I doubt if you’d have seen the story at all if it weren’t for the connection with a famous person.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:08 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I doubt if you’d have seen the story at all if it weren’t for the connection with a famous person.
Exactly.
Old 30th August 2019, 12:26 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Yes everyone does it. Yes it's reprehensible. Yes "the media" often does sucky things.
And it's nothing new.
It is reprehensible behavior.
But having to put up with crap like this is part of the price we pay for a free press. Outside of Libel laws, which give the victim a legal recourse to sue the media involved, there is no way of really preventing this without throwing out freedom of the press.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:29 PM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't think anyone is suggesting CNN should be like stopped via any type of legal means.

We needn't not handwring over freedom of the press when it's just people saying they find it distasteful.
Old 30th August 2019, 01:02 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And it's nothing new.
It is reprehensible behavior.
But having to put up with crap like this is part of the price we pay for a free press. Outside of Libel laws, which give the victim a legal recourse to sue the media involved, there is no way of really preventing this without throwing out freedom of the press.
I'd settle for just throwing out the credibility of the press.
Old 30th August 2019, 01:59 PM   #16
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'd settle for just throwing out the credibility of the press.
This story says nothing about credibility or lack of credibility.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 02:01 PM   #17
BobTheCoward
Banned

Is it her real brother? We should ask that NBC announcer.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 02:09 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
This story says nothing about credibility or lack of credibility.
I have no opinion about that.
Old 30th August 2019, 02:37 PM   #19
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I have no opinion about that.
Then you are in luck. Because I didn't ask for your opinion. I gave you the best one to have going forward.
Old 30th August 2019, 03:08 PM   #20
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

How about poor Jimmy Carter?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 03:43 PM   #21
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The CNN is not the issue here!
Old 30th August 2019, 05:02 PM   #22
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

A quick search show multiple news outlets doing it. The reason is obvious too. relatives of famous(?)* people have always been referred to this way in the media because the famous person name recognition makes the article more likely to attract attention.

*I didn't have a clue who she was, and even looking her up I'm still not a lot wiser.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 06:52 PM   #23
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I'll read a celebrity news story if the celebrity is doing something I'm interested in, like joining a sports team I follow or working on a movie I might want to see.

Also, once in a great while, by pure chance something happens to a celebrity that's interesting enough that it would be a news story no matter who it happened to.

But for other headlines in the category of "if there wasn't a celebrity involved this wouldn't be a story at all" I just skip to the next one.
Old 15th June 2021, 05:09 PM   #24
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Brother of Olympic gymnast Simone Biles is acquitted of murder charges from 2018 shooting

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/us/si...ing/index.html
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2021, 06:54 PM   #25
Joecool
Master Poster

CNN is a gossip rag. They're going to fork over bank to Alan Dershowitz for editing his testimony to create a false narrative.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2021, 07:30 PM   #26
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
CNN is a gossip rag. They're going to fork over bank to Alan Dershowitz for editing his testimony to create a false narrative.
Dershowitz is a public figure. He has a long road ahead to prove that CNN said something false, knew it was false and said it anyway, acted with deliberate malice and in fact damaged his reputation, which has been pretty much in the mud since he climbed onto to the OJ Simpson bandwagon. If Dershowitz could win as easily as he seems to think, people would be suing Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham etc. after every show.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 11:02 PM   #27
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Dershowitz is a public figure. He has a long road ahead to prove that CNN said something false, knew it was false and said it anyway, acted with deliberate malice and in fact damaged his reputation, which has been pretty much in the mud since he climbed onto to the OJ Simpson bandwagon. If Dershowitz could win as easily as he seems to think, people would be suing Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham etc. after every show.
I believe CNN will settle out of court with a non disclosure agreement. This isn't the only time CNN has edited someone's testimony to create their own narrative.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 10:57 PM   #28
Joecool
Master Poster

I read that CNN's ratings are tanking because continuing to talk about Donald Trump is getting old now that he's been out of office for 5 months.

Maybe they should resort to actually reporting real news?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events