IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags David Tamihere , murder cases , New Zealand cases

Old 21st May 2016, 08:05 PM   #41
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Actually I am gonna write a book. It will cover the nine cases and name the main players. It will be based on court testimony and original scene analysis. I will mail it to every household in New Zealand including the caravan park in Avondale the Chinese bought and are throwing the residents on the street.
It will include Alec Dempster saying there was contact between the end of the silencer and Robin Bain's left temple, based on what he saw an hour after the murders. The crime scene is immediately solved.
Can you not make it complete ego and bias like Wishart?

Then I will read it
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 08:07 PM   #42
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Can you not make it complete ego and bias like Wishart?

Then I will read it
Sure just the facts. 8 or 9 million should do the job, a bit of crowd funding. Any ideas welcome.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 08:46 PM   #43
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Actually I am gonna write a book.
Good luck with that - I can't see it being a big seller.

It will include Alec Dempster saying there was contact between the end of the silencer and Robin Bain's left temple, based on what he saw an hour after the murders. The crime scene is immediately solved.
You mean the Alex Dempster who said that suicide was unlikely, verging on the impossible, given the circumstances of the evidence?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...-wound-unusual
Old 21st May 2016, 09:04 PM   #44
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Good luck with that - I can't see it being a big seller.

You mean the Alex Dempster who said that suicide was unlikely, verging on the impossible, given the circumstances of the evidence?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...-wound-unusual
Yep that dood. Like Pang said definitely 7pm then any time in a 13 hour period.
You see it depends on what the filth want.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2016, 05:12 PM   #45
Garrison
Philosopher

Absolutely the opposite.

But I'm not about to shed any tears for a piece of human garbage like Tamihere. I thought he was dying anyway - seems to be taking far too long to happen.
Which rather misses two important points, this is the beginning of the slippery slope of police misconduct. It starts with 'well if they didn't commit this crime they probably deserve it for something else they did' and ends at 'well they looked guilty to me'.

Secondly if Tamihere didn't commit the crime you have an actual murderer wandering around with the knowledge that they got away with it.
Old 24th May 2016, 07:42 PM   #46
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Which rather misses two important points, this is the beginning of the slippery slope of police misconduct.
Oh, I'm not suggesting they be forgiven or anything.

It's just that when faced with appalling miscarriages like Lundy, it almost sullies his case to be seen to be backing Tamihere, because he is a scumbag and has always been a scumbag and could never have any public sympathy.

Secondly if Tamihere didn't commit the crime you have an actual murderer wandering around with the knowledge that they got away with it.
Along with the murderers of Mona Blades, Tracey Patient, Olive Walker, Jayne Furlong, Chris & Cru Kahui, Amber & Christine Lundy, Scott Guy and lots of others.

I'm past caring about that side of it.
Old 24th May 2016, 09:20 PM   #47
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I'm not suggesting they be forgiven or anything.

It's just that when faced with appalling miscarriages like Lundy, it almost sullies his case to be seen to be backing Tamihere, because he is a scumbag and has always been a scumbag and could never have any public sympathy.

Along with the murderers of Mona Blades, Tracey Patient, Olive Walker, Jayne Furlong, Chris & Cru Kahui, Amber & Christine Lundy, Scott Guy and lots of others.

I'm past caring about that side of it.
I am getting reports witness C that scored life for Tamihere is the same man as witness X that put Lundy away again last year.
That will be interesting to say the least. Both men are innocent.
John Hughes organised the first, Grantham and Kelly the second.
Old 24th May 2016, 09:48 PM   #48
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I am getting reports witness C that scored life for Tamihere is the same man as witness X that put Lundy away again last year.
Now, that would be major news.

Is this able to be confirmed?

If so, it would point to the pigs being lower than... I can't even think of a metaphor.
Old 25th May 2016, 03:26 AM   #49
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Now, that would be major news.

Is this able to be confirmed?

If so, it would point to the pigs being lower than... I can't even think of a metaphor.
It turns out that Phil Taylor wrote this headline

Witness C must be the type that people can't help but bare their soul to. He has claimed that two men convicted in separate infamous murder cases confessed to him.

The jailhouse informant faces a private perjury prosecution filed this month that accuses him of giving false testimony at David Tamihere's trial for the murders of Swedish backpacker Heidi Paakkonen and her fiance Sven Urban Hoglin.

The Herald can now reveal the same prisoner claimed Mark Lundy confessed to him too.

However this shows not that witness C and witness X from 2015 are the same person, but that witness C was the first snitch Palmerston North constabulary tried to employ to lock up Lundy.
What we learn is they found a new and different man for the 2015 trial.

Here is the link and it must be read with care to understand what the hell is going on.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11639110

I believe Arthur Taylor is well known to Fixit who has just joined the forum.

Last edited by Samson; 25th May 2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 25th May 2016, 11:14 AM   #50
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ok, gotcha - I read your post that his evidence had been used, but it wasn't.

Fixit a friend of Arthur Taylor - that is interesting. Resourceful bloke, Taylor.
Old 25th May 2016, 02:00 PM   #51
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, gotcha - I read your post that his evidence had been used, but it wasn't.

Fixit a friend of Arthur Taylor - that is interesting. Resourceful bloke, Taylor.
I get that from his blog as Nostalgia-NZ...
Old 26th May 2016, 03:28 AM   #52
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

It may or may not surprise that David Tamihere slots neatly into the series of difficult cases that fail the logic test.

1. A far better candidate, Huia George Foley, who had no alibi, and who confessed independently to at least two people, one on his (proverbial) death bed he did it, and to another accuser he failed to deny it, by saying they will never find her body.
2. An attempt to saw off the dead man's head was pointless. Pathologists could show he was stabbed to death. On the other hand Tamihere operated with logic and good intelligence. He comes from a well performing family. Foley, after the event, drove close to a truck, stuck his arm out and it was ripped off. Unhinged. He had anxious demeanour after the homicides, Tamihere cool as, driving tourists around Coromandel delivering a sane and educated geographical narrative while driving the Swedes' car.
3. Tamihere clearly broke into the car, as shown by the fact he could replicate the difficult maneouver with no 8 wire after being arrested. Any theory suggesting he killed them precluded the need for him to break in. Car conversions were his "stock in trade". He found keys in the glove box by his testimony.
4. Their belongings were found in a place that implicated him if the people were found to be victims of foul play. Does not sound like our David.
5. Everything he did with the car and belongings was traceable back to him. If they were still alive, the car theft would never have been investigated by police, so he pawning their goods at harmony house in K road made sense only for a petty thief, never a double killer.
6. The sighting in Crosby's clearing the prosecution relied on was impossible for the reasonable man. Two trampers alleged to have spoken for 11 full minutes to a man, and a woman remaining silent, after the man had raped and murdered her boyfriend, and raped her. Ridiculous even to a Stockholm syndrome student.

Yes the COA used this last point 6 and thus witness C to deny his appeal. This is okay though, because that is COA's job, to patch together the best of trial into an ungainly essay in fantasy.

The above is to give context to this secret witness business. Frame, frame, and frame again. Oh will the state's hands ne'er be clean?
Old 26th May 2016, 11:19 AM   #53
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The above is to give context to this secret witness business. Frame, frame, and frame again. Oh will the state's hands ne'er be clean?
Nice literary reference there, mate.

And very nice summary of David Tamihere's case.
Old 26th May 2016, 05:11 PM   #54
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Nice literary reference there, mate.

And very nice summary of David Tamihere's case.
Why thank you. MacBeth 5th form. I'm sure you remember.
I think it is useful to go case by case, and frankly, Wishart's book on this one is outstanding.
The last letter home brought real tears. (almost)

A couple of songs have been......

Chris de Burgh - Missing You, Eric Carmen - Make Me Lose Control, Moody Blues - I Know You're Out There Somewhere....
"Until we meet again...Urban & Heidi"

Last edited by Samson; 26th May 2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 26th May 2016, 05:37 PM   #55
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

And here is how the crooked police are laying waste to community

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/relative-guilt-1999
Old 26th May 2016, 06:54 PM   #56
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Why thank you. MacBeth 5th form. I'm sure you remember.
Cor, do I ever. Made a profound impression on me, that play did.

We went to see the Roman Polanski version when I was 15 and the naked Lady MacBeth scene is still burned into my memory banks.

I think it is useful to go case by case, and frankly, Wishart's book on this one is outstanding.
Stopped clocks are right twice a day - he gets no points from being able to be smarter than cops.

I wonder if his brother being such a huge, whining tosser has anything to do with public opinion on Tamihere. There were rape allegations against John that turned out to be fabricated. Someone must've broken a couple of mirrors.
Old 26th May 2016, 07:10 PM   #57
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Cor, do I ever. Made a profound impression on me, that play did.

We went to see the Roman Polanski version when I was 15 and the naked Lady MacBeth scene is still burned into my memory banks.

Stopped clocks are right twice a day - he gets no points from being able to be smarter than cops.

I wonder if his brother being such a huge, whining tosser has anything to do with public opinion on Tamihere. There were rape allegations against John that turned out to be fabricated. Someone must've broken a couple of mirrors.
15 year old. A naked Francesca Annis. That's gonna be memorable alright.
Old 1st June 2016, 07:38 PM   #58
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I have a strange compulsion to trawl the media for more on these cases. For example

One of the last people to see Ms Paakkonen alive, Mel Knauf, last night said he was still haunted by the killings, and still wondered what might have happened if he had been more observant.

He and another tramper saw Ms Paakkonen and a man identified as Tamihere in a bush clearing. "I've tortured myself for a long time about this. But it's a dead end."

The 64-year-old said he wished Tamihere would say where Ms Paakkonen's body was hidden.

"If there was one justice that should have been done it was saying that we'll let you go, but only if you will tell us where Heidi is. Her family are still grieving. They've got no closure."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10685217

The odd thing is this man never saw Heidi Paakkonen. Detective John Hughes manufactured the sighting by a 7 step process. I will log it when Wishart finally gets my ebook to me.

The Tamihere case is at the hub of a wheel, looking backwards forwards and sideways to our police force's least glorious moments.

Last edited by Samson; 1st June 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 1st June 2016, 08:10 PM   #59
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Depending on which US state you live about 35 to 40% of the murder are never solved IIRC.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2016, 02:02 AM   #60
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

The killer's family tried to interest the police but they wanted Tamihere. They knew they could get the case over the line with his form for manslaughter and rape.
But he did not do that crime and Huia George Foley remained at large. He deliberately drove by a truck, stuck his arm out, and it detached, soon after he killed the Swedes. He tried to saw Hoglin's head from his dead body at the scene, he was an unbalanced player in this grisly crime.

Last edited by Samson; 2nd June 2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 5th June 2016, 08:43 PM   #61
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

This is worth a read. See how legal counsel behave badly.

https://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/undocs...68/view891.htm
Old 29th September 2016, 12:54 AM   #62
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

A high court hearing today presages witness C crashing and burning. For Atheist, this is an historic day for New Zealand justice. No hyperbole
Old 25th October 2017, 04:02 AM   #63
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Witness C was sentenced to 8 years and 7 months for perjury.
Everyone knows John Hughes effectively wrote his testimony, and that witness C was paroled after 9 years for killing in a family feud, but more particularly, executing the girlfriend who came to see what was happening. He would describe it to his girl friend, pleasure like eating ice cream.
I contend the state has failed to educate C, and the state has failed to call to account Hughes, prosecutor David Moriss, and 5 appeal court judges who made false statements when denying Tamiher's appeal. Tamihere did not do the crime.
Old 27th April 2018, 02:39 AM   #64
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Witness C has now been named... he is Roberto Conchie Harris; himself a double murderer who tried to escape from prison.

This must further bring into serious doubt the idea of using "jailhouse snitches" as witnesses in high profile trials. In too many cases they have been shown to have given false testimony.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 04:41 PM   #65
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Witness C has now been named... he is Roberto Conchie Harris; himself a double murderer who tried to escape from prison.

This must further bring into serious doubt the idea of using "jailhouse snitches" as witnesses in high profile trials. In too many cases they have been shown to have given false testimony.
This case is looking dodgier and dodgier the more I read about.

Unless I'm reading it wrong the only substantial evidence looks like it was from 3 crims and

A) they all clash

B) have all proved to be wrong. Dumped body in water (nup). Cut body up (nup)

If Tamihere wasn't such a scumbag I could actually feel sorry for him, rather than just thinking it's police corruption and they need to clear his name.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 06:35 PM   #66
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
This case is looking dodgier and dodgier the more I read about.

Unless I'm reading it wrong the only substantial evidence looks like it was from 3 crims and

A) they all clash

B) have all proved to be wrong. Dumped body in water (nup). Cut body up (nup)

If Tamihere wasn't such a scumbag I could actually feel sorry for him, rather than just thinking it's police corruption and they need to clear his name.
Not to mention Stefan's stolen watch (nup, it was found still on his body)

He might be a scumbag, but he doesn't deserve to be tagged as a murderer or to have been put away for it. Everyone is entitled to justice regardless of who they are.

All he was really guilty of was stealing their (apparently) abandoned Subaru Wagon.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th April 2018 at 06:37 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 07:40 PM   #67
cullennz
Banned

Not to mention Stefan's stolen watch (nup, it was found still on his body)

He might be a scumbag, but he doesn't deserve to be tagged as a murderer or to have been put away for it. Everyone is entitled to justice regardless of who they are.

All he was really guilty of was stealing their (apparently) abandoned Subaru Wagon.
Pretty much

Apologise. The scumbag comment is probably harsher than what I actually think.
Old 28th April 2018, 03:49 AM   #68
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker

Tamihere was locked in their sights for some reason and there was no way they were going to let him have any natural justice. If the Court of Appeal says that actually finding one of the bodies doesn't constitute fresh evidence, then you know your plight is hopeless.

Part of it is keeping up the facade that NZ is a completely benign place for visitors; having the unsolved murders of two backpackers in the foreign press is not a great look for the tourist industry. I'm sure there is all sorts of pressure to clean up these types of cases quickly.

Last edited by Hard Cheese; 28th April 2018 at 03:50 AM.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2018, 04:13 AM   #69
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

It is a remarkable coincidence that psychopath Huia George Foley killed the couple, and that a man on the run from a rape and kidnapping rap stole their car. However there is little doubt this happened, I am unclear on the Avondale crime that Tamihere ran from and how egregious it was.
Ultimately this will probably impact badly on a compensation claim, though I consider he has proved his innocence by now.
I am pleased for brother John, the parents, and David's sons that few New Zealanders still think he did the crime.
Old 28th April 2018, 04:35 AM   #70
cullennz
Banned

It is a remarkable coincidence that psychopath Huia George Foley killed the couple, and that a man on the run from a rape and kidnapping rap stole their car. However there is little doubt this happened, I am unclear on the Avondale crime that Tamihere ran from and how egregious it was.
Ultimately this will probably impact badly on a compensation claim, though I consider he has proved his innocence by now.
I am pleased for brother John, the parents, and David's sons that few New Zealanders still think he did the crime.
I might be wrong but I think all his chips have been cashed in 're appeals.

Would take a govt inquiry

Interesting to see if they do given their rather blatant one finger salute to his brother John trying to rejoin Labour a few years ago.

Would have to be through gritted teeth
Old 28th April 2018, 05:51 AM   #71
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The brother of Urban Hoglin, 23, murder victim has no doubts about Tamihere's guilt:

Quote:
He says it was terrible Tamihere had been free to kill. Tamihere committed the murders three years after breaking into a house in his Auckland suburb of Avondale in April 1986, where he sexually violated and threatened to kill a 47-year-old woman occupant over six hours.

He pleaded guilty, but absconded while on bail. In the intervening years, he lived on Tamihere family land in Mataroa Bay, Coromandel - where he has since asked the Parole Board to free him to - living rough in bush around the area.

He was arrested in May 1989, for the sexual violation and sentenced to six- and-half years. His link to the Swedish couple surfaced only when a tourist recognised photographs of their car and told police in June 1989 that he was given a ride in it by a man called "Pat Kelly", who turned out to be Tamihere.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...-cling-to-hope

So, it wasn't just a Shawshank Redemption-style prison snitch who fingered Tamihere, there was an independent neutral eye witness as to having seen the car belonging to the murder victims, and being given a lift in it by an man giving a false name. That man was Tamihere.

~ Danzig

Last edited by Vixen; 28th April 2018 at 05:53 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2018, 05:59 AM   #72
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The brother of Urban Hoglin, 23, murder victim has no doubts about Tamihere's guilt:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...-cling-to-hope

So, it wasn't just a Shawshank Redemption-style prison snitch who fingered Tamihere, there was an independent neutral eye witness as to having seen the car belonging to the murder victims, and being given a lift in it by an man giving a false name. That man was Tamihere.
Tamihere said he stole the car, if he had known the owners were dead he would not drive it around unless he wanted to be caught and accused.
Old 28th April 2018, 10:22 AM   #73
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Tamihere said he stole the car, if he had known the owners were dead he would not drive it around unless he wanted to be caught and accused.
Aaaah. Riiiight.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2018, 04:58 AM   #74
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Aaaah. Riiiight.
hey, no one in New Zealand now believes he killed this couple.
Realistically I consider you a clever person who has been dragged off piste.
I have no idea why or how.
Old 21st April 2020, 12:44 AM   #75
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

And after 31 years he gets another appeal.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12326394

The killer was the now deceased Huia George Foley.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors