IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags death penalty issues , murder cases , Todd Willingham

Old 17th February 2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Skwinty
Philosopher

Thoughts on the Willingham murder case

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Oh well, we're in Community, so it doesn't matter if it's a derail, right?
The derail stems from the attempt to equate Willingham's failed appeals to Knox.
Not my doing, merely questioning the logic.

Squinty, that is appalling. It is unconscionable. You have ABSOLUTELY NO FREAKING IDEA what happened, whether he tried to save the children, whether he was in any position to try to save the children, whether it was even possible for him to have done anything to save the children.
My name is Skwinty, not Squinty.
It is apparent that neither do you have any idea of what happened.
Please read the link below.

But it just "seems to you".
It sure does, based on the court testimony.
Please read the link and comments below.

So you believe a fellow human being, who has lost three of his children in a house fire and nearly died himself, should be executed. Because it just "seems to you" he should have been able to save the children.
BS, there was nothing wrong with the scumbag other than singed eyebrows and a burn on his shoulder.
If he loved and wanted to save his kids, his flesh would have been hanging from his body due to the heat exposure
Please read the link and comments below.

Edited by jhunter1163:  Moderated content removed.
Rolfe.
What disgusts me beyond description is the attempt by people to excuse murderers on a technicality of the law.
Would you prefer to see guilty people free on the streets instead of in prison or executed.

Please read the following facts below

The Willingham trial has become a sort of cause celebre by anti-death penalty proponents because it seems to be an example of outmoded scientific techniques which led to a miscarriage of justice. In fact, the trial testimony you reported in 1991 contains overwhelming evidence of guilt completely independent of the undeniably flawed forensic report.

Always omitted from any examination of the actual trial are the following facts:

1. The event which caused the three childrens' deaths was the third attempt by Todd Willingham to kill his children established by the evidence. He had attempted to abort pregnancy by vicious attacks on his wife in which he beat and kicked his wife with the specific intent to trigger miscarriage;

2. The “well-established burns” suffered by Willingham were so superficial as to suggest that the same were self-inflicted in an attempt to divert suspicion from himself;

3. Blood-gas analysis at Navarro Regional Hospital shortly after the homicide revealed that Willingham had not inhaled any smoke, contrary to his statement which detailed “rescue attempts;”

4. Consistent with typical Navarro County death penalty practice, Willingham was offered the opportunity to eliminate himself as a suspect by polygraph examination. Such opportunity was rejected in the most vulgar and insulting manner;

5. Willingham was a serial wife abuser, both physically and emotionally. His violent nature was further established by evidence of his vicious attacks on animals which is common to violent sociopaths;

6. Witness statements established that Willingham was overheard whispering to his deceased older daughter at the funeral home, “You're not the one who was supposed to die.” (The origin of the fire occured in the infant twins bedroom) and;

7. Any escape or rescue route from the burning house was blocked by a refrigerator which had been pushed against the back door, requring any person attempting escape to run through the conflagration at the front of the house.

8. The witness further testified that this igniting of the floors and thresholds is typically employed to impede firemen in their rescue attempts. The testimony at trial demonstrates that Willingham neither showed remorse for his actions nor grieved the loss of his three children. Willingham’s neighbors testified that when the fire “blew out” the windows, Willingham “hollered about his car” and ran to move it away from the fire to avoid its being damaged. A fire fighter also testified that Willingham was upset that his dart board was burned.

9. One of appellant's neighbors testified that the morning following the house *355 fire, Christmas Eve, appellant and his wife were at the burned house going through the debris while playing music and laughing. At the punishment phase of trial, testimony was presented that appellant has a history of violence. He has been convicted of numerous felonies and misdemeanors, both as an adult and as a juvenile, and attempts at various forms of rehabilitation have proven unsuccessful

The Willingham case was charged as a multiple child murder, and not an arson-murder to achieve capital status. I am convinced that in the absence of any arson testimony, the outcome of the trial would have been unchanged, a fact that did not escape the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. While anti-death penalty advocates can muster some remarkably good arguments, Todd Willingham should not be anyone's poster child.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/...lingham899.htm

What is reality? Nothing but a collective hunch.
--Lily Tomlin

Last edited by jhunter1163; 17th February 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 09:11 AM   #2
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

I'd like some fries with that. And a large Diet Dew.

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2011, 09:14 AM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Willingham was murdered? Somebody call the police!

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 09:17 AM   #4
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Willingham was murdered? Somebody call the police!
Two Willinghams, and a Kuykendall. See the link.
Old 17th February 2011, 09:20 AM   #5
jhunter1163

As mod:

Starting threads such as this in Community in an effort to evade Rules 11 and 12 is frowned on. This thread will likely be moved. In the meantime, Rule 0 does still apply. Thank you.

ETA: Thread moved. Carry on.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 17th February 2011 at 09:22 AM.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 10:03 AM   #6
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Does this mean we have to be on topic?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by Skwinty View Post
4. Consistent with typical Navarro County death penalty practice, Willingham was offered the opportunity to eliminate himself as a suspect by polygraph examination. Such opportunity was rejected in the most vulgar and insulting manner;
I would too!
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 10:10 AM   #8
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Does this mean we have to be on topic?
Well, now it does. Dang it!
Old 17th February 2011, 10:41 AM   #9
uk_dave
Philosopher

The Willingham trial has become a sort of cause celebre by anti-death penalty proponents because it seems to be an example of outmoded scientific techniques which led to a miscarriage of justice.
Has it? Can't say I've ever heard of it before.

Much better examples are all those people who spend many years in jail convicted of crimes (which in other jurisdictions would have attracted the death penalty) and then are exonerated by modern forensic science.
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Skwinty
Philosopher

I don't assert that no innocent people are wrongly convicted.

In the case of Willingham, according to court testimony, this doesn't seem to be one of them though.

All his appeals were unanimously denied even when the arson charges were brought into question. The second opinions on these charges only happened a number of years after he was convicted, so I imagine that the analysis was done from existing records, video and photographs.

As far as I can tell, the arguments still continue in the courts about Willinghams conviction and sentence.

In any event, there was a lot of other evidence with regard to his guilt. Should this evidence also be thrown out in conjunction with the arson evidence?

I can understand and accept DNA evidence over riding a past conviction.

Too argue that the arson evidence over rides other evidence must imply a conspiracy amongst the prosecution and judges.

--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Rolfe
Adult human female

As my post seems to be what sparked this off, I'll come in here to clarify, that's all.

Skwinty said, in the original thread, that because (in his view) Willingham had not tried hard enough to rescue the children, he deserved the death penalty no matter how the fire started.

That was what I was reacting to, not anything to do with the rest of the discussion. To declare that someone who has not tried hard enough to rescue someone else (in the opinion of somene who was nowhere near the incident and is merely reading about it on the internet) FROM A FIRE THAT STARTED ACCIDENTALLY deserves the death penalty is in my opinion quite disgusting.

The above elaboration seems to be saying that if the flesh wasn't hanging from his body, he didn't try hard enough and so should be sentenced to death.

I'm not getting into the arguments about whether or not this fire was arson. I am merely pointing out that my response was to a post referring to the death penalty being appropriate even if the fire was an accident and Mr. Willingham was entirely innocent.

Rolfe.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Skwinty
Philosopher

As my post seems to be what sparked this off, I'll come in here to clarify, that's all.....
So did you read the post and links?

I'm not getting into the arguments about whether or not this fire was arson. I am merely pointing out that my response was to a post referring to the death penalty being appropriate even if the fire was an accident and Mr. Willingham was entirely innocent.

Rolfe.

Please show me where I said "and Mr. Willingham was entirely innocent"
He might have had the arson charge dispute many years after his conviction but there was other evidence to indicate his guilt.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 17th February 2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Rolfe
Adult human female

Skwinty (sorry, this is hard for me to remember, because where I come from the word is spelled "squinty"), do you even remember the post of yours I was replying to?

Seems to me he couldn't have made the slightest effort to save his kids regardless of how the fire started.

He deserved to be executed.

"Regardless of how the fire started." In other words, you were stating the position that a man who doesn't try hard enough to save his children from a fire (in your opinion) deserves the death penalty even if the fire was entirely accidental. I stand by my position that this is a disgusting attitude.

If he did start that fire deliberately, to kill the children, I'm not going to bat for him. Knock yourself out. But to say he deserved to be executed because he didn't reach your high standards of heroism, even if the fire was an accident, is something else.

Rolfe.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Skwinty
Philosopher

Actually I do remember the posts I make.

I may be old but I am not senile.

Here are the posts I made regarding Willingham in the original thread up to your post.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=332
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=545
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=548
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=584

I make no apology for my disdain towards the non action of a coward.
If you read the links I have posted, it would "seem" that Willingham was indeed a coward.

Unless of course you believe that the witnesses, judge, prosecutor and the entire appellate court were involved in a conspiracy to despatch him into oblivion.

The man could find his trousers in the room, but not his child. Her body was found in the bedroom. He could stand outside with no significant injury and watch the house starting to burn despite his neighbours begging him to save them,

Unless of course they were all perjuring themselves in court. The only time time he showed an inclination to enter the house was after the fire department had arrived, and then he was concerned about his car and dartboard.

Unless of course the witnesses were once again perjuring themselves in court.

So yes, my opinion is that he deserved to be prosecuted to the full extent of the applicable law. He was executed and I feel no remorse or pity for him. He was an unmitigated coward.

At no time did I imply that he was innocent, that was implied by the Knox crowd who used this case as an example of a miscarriage of justice.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 17th February 2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Rolfe
Adult human female

Like I said, I'm going to leave it to others to comment on whether the case was really proved beyond reasonable doubt. I have expressed no opinion on that at all, you will note. As I said, if that was arson, I'm not going to bat for him. Knock yourself out.

I confine my objection precisely to the post of yours that I quoted, the post I was specifically replying to.

Quote:
Seems to me he couldn't have made the slightest effort to save his kids regardless of how the fire started.
He deserved to be executed.

He deserved to be executed REGARDLESS OF HOW THE FIRE STARTED.

I didn't type that, Skwinty, you did. Whether you were seriously considering the possibility that he might be innocent, or whether you were speaking hypothetically, that's what you said.

If you didn't mean it, the simple solution is to say so, I would think.

Rolfe.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:42 PM   #16
stilicho
Trurl's Electronic Bard

That was what I was reacting to, not anything to do with the rest of the discussion. To declare that someone who has not tried hard enough to rescue someone else (in the opinion of somene who was nowhere near the incident and is merely reading about it on the internet) FROM A FIRE THAT STARTED ACCIDENTALLY deserves the death penalty is in my opinion quite disgusting.

Rolfe.
That is a bit startling. I don't believe in the efficacy of the death penalty and I'm even conflicted on LWOP as a humane form of punishment.

I've only read the New Yorker essay (essentially an anti-death penalty screed) and a few of the decisions by the appropriate level of legal authority in Texas. It is not at all clear to me that the source of the fire was accidental.

I was aware that some of the Knox apologists have seized upon this case as a parallel. The only parallel I know of is that both Knox and Willingham lied to the police and tried to distract and control the investigation. The New Yorker article single-handedly sparked a cottage industry devoted to proving his innocence. I wonder where they were during the twelve years leading up to his execution.

The Knox-is-innocent crowd is largely inspired by a vigorous PR campaign financed by Gogerty-Marriott, a Seattle consulting firm, and showcased on their website. There is no death penalty in Italy so more of the comparison falls by the wayside. Knox was defended by expensive lawyers and supported by the best forensic experts in all Italy while Willingham had a public defender and no experts on his side. Knox's boyfriend's lawyer is an influential Italian parliamentarian, in fact.

The biggest parallel is, of course, the fact that each of them were found guilty.

LondonJohn: "I don't need to cite."
Rolfe: "I really hate lawyers."
stilicho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Skwinty
Philosopher

Well, the problem is:

Even if he did not start the fire, the evidence presented was that his injuries were superficial and he made no effort to save his kids while there was a chance.

Unless you believe that every one else was lying and Willingham was a paragon of virtue.

In any event, as I tried earlier to explain. I was trying to post at the time the mods moved our posts to AAH and my post vanished.

Your feelings of disgust are your prerogative and I have no intention of trying to persuade you otherwise.

I have no hard feelings towards you, I would just like you to read the comments and links I posted, and perhaps then your disgust would diminish.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 17th February 2011, 02:14 PM   #18
Rolfe
Adult human female

Well, the problem is:

Even if he did not start the fire, the evidence presented was that his injuries were superficial and he made no effort to save his kids while there was a chance.

And in that case, he deserves the death penalty for that? That's what you said, remember.

Unless you believe that every one else was lying and Willingham was a paragon of virtue.

I have NO FREAKING IDEA. I am not familiar with the case. I read a post of yours which declared that a man deserved to be executed because his efforts to save these children were in your opinion insufficient. You said he deserved this, regardless of how the fire started.

If you didn't mean that, then the easiest thing to do is to say you didn't mean it.

Your feelings of disgust are your prerogative and I have no intention of trying to persuade you otherwise.

I have no hard feelings towards you, I would just like you to read the comments and links I posted, and perhaps then your disgust would diminish.

Look, you are now proceeding from the premise that the man was an arsonist and child-killer. As I said, if that's the case, I'm not going to bat for him. Carry on.

My disgust was quite clearly and specifically directed at your statement that he deserved to be executed EVEN IF HE WAS NOT AN ARSONIST AND CHILD KILLER, because he wasn't heroic enough.

Do you really mean that?

Rolfe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 17th February 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 02:37 PM   #19
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

The man could find his trousers in the room, but not his child. Her body was found in the bedroom. He could stand outside with no significant injury and watch the house starting to burn despite his neighbours begging him to save them,.

So are those neighbours unmitigated cowards as well?
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 03:41 PM   #20
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Was Skwinty's o/p infracted before being moved here, where it then happened to become the o/p? Because I can't see an offensive word or sentiment in it (although I might disagree with the analysis).
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 03:46 PM   #21
jhunter1163

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Was Skwinty's o/p infracted before being moved here, where it then happened to become the o/p? Because I can't see an offensive word or sentiment in it (although I might disagree with the analysis).
The thread title was edited. The original thread title quoted the moderated content in the OP. I will note the edit to clear up this bit of confusion.
Old 17th February 2011, 03:49 PM   #22
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
The thread title was edited. The original thread title quoted the moderated content in the OP. I will note the edit to clear up this bit of confusion.
Ah, thanks.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2011, 06:30 PM   #23
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Actually I do remember the posts I make.

I may be old but I am not senile.

Here are the posts I made regarding Willingham in the original thread up to your post.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=332
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=545
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=548
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=584

I make no apology for my disdain towards the non action of a coward.
If you read the links I have posted, it would "seem" that Willingham was indeed a coward.
And in that second link you clearly wrote "regardless of how the fire started", and that he deserved to be executed. I'm firmly with Rolfe here, that comment is IMHO appalling. I hope you retract that. Quite apart from the fact that I'm against death penalty in general - you've been explained how a fire situation can be, with a first-hand account by Skeptic Ginger. Demanding that someone deserves the harshest penalty for not being able to save his kids in such a situation is inhumane.

It's quite a different situation you've set up now. You've presented contrary evidence. I'm certainly open to revising my opinion - which was based on the New Yorker article, that is, from an AFAIK very reputable magazine when it comes to investigative journalism - but I'm not sure if I'm willing to invest the time needed to evaluate for myself the needed evidence. I'll give some comments from what I remember from the New Yorker article. Mind, these are the "buts" that I remember from reading the New Yorker article and it doesn't mean I stand by them, but it does illustrate that reaching a conclusion for myself in this case would mean a considerable investment in time.

Unless of course you believe that the witnesses, judge, prosecutor and the entire appellate court were involved in a conspiracy to despatch him into oblivion.
No, but once the fire forensics had concluded it was arson, police sought all kinds of corroborating evidence. He had a pro bono lawyer who firmly believed he was guilty, pressed him to take a plea bargain and obviously didn't have his heart at the case.

The man could find his trousers in the room, but not his child. Her body was found in the bedroom.
The thick smoke prevented him from seeing her, and he yelled at her to get the hell out of the house.

He could stand outside with no significant injury and watch the house starting to burn despite his neighbours begging him to save them,

Unless of course they were all perjuring themselves in court. The only time time he showed an inclination to enter the house was after the fire department had arrived, and then he was concerned about his car and dartboard.

Unless of course the witnesses were once again perjuring themselves in court.
Wasn't mentioned by the New Yorker, except for the car. They did, however mention that the testimonies of the neighbours directly after the fire differed substantially from the testimonies that were taken after the forensics guys had determined it was arson. That is not necessarily perjury. Recalling the same memories, but now with the fact added that it was an arson, those facts that jive with the arson premise will be remembered more prominently than those facts that don't. If you will, that works both ways.

A pro bono lawyer is not likely to sift through those testimonies to seek out the differences and grill those neighbours on the stand for inconsistencies or incompleteness. Willingham wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, nor did he have an online fanclub who could do that for him.

The New Yorker mentioned a couple of other testimonies: a psychologist who mused about violent tendencies based on Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin posters; and a psychiatrist who gave a diagnosis without having examined him.

Really, Skwinty, no conspiracy needed. A prosecution who had a prime indication - that the fire was arson - and then pursued that avenue and sought out every available indication to present in court. And on his side a pro bono lawyer - really, how many people on death row paid for their lawyers themselves?

At no time did I imply that he was innocent, that was implied by the Knox crowd who used this case as an example of a miscarriage of justice.
No you said you thought he was guilty, but you clearly said that even if he was not guilty of arson he should be executed nevertheless.

But as you see, before reaching a conclusion, that means going through a considerable heap of evidence, trial transcripts, testimony transcripts to see which arguments from which side have merit.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 01:54 AM   #24
Skwinty
Philosopher

I will not retract my opinion that Willingham deserved the death penalty.
That is my opinion regardless of how disgusting anyone may find it.

Last night 2 children were killed by a train. This occurred at night and the ages of the 2 children were 2 and 3 years old.

I hope that the parents who allowed their children of this age to play on an active railway line at night get punished to the full extent of the law.

Luckily for them South Africa does not have the death penalty. Their (the parents) actions or lack thereof are inexcusable and criminal.

If these types of people have no respect for the lives of their own children, why should I have respect for their life.

Incidentally, does the US military tribunal still implement the death penalty for cowardice?

Are you also disgusted by that?

--Lily Tomlin
Old 18th February 2011, 02:08 AM   #25
Skwinty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
And in that second link you clearly wrote "regardless of how the fire started", and that he deserved to be executed. ...
Yes, I know. I can remember what I wrote 2 days ago.

Demanding that someone deserves the harshest penalty for not being able to save his kids in such a situation is inhumane.
Deserved =/= Demanding. The prosecution demanded that and that is what they got.

Standing around doing nothing while your children burn to death is inhumane, not some person 15,000 km away expressing an opinion.

It's quite a different situation you've set up now. You've presented contrary evidence.
The facts in evidence have not changed. I made a judgement call based on the Times article,

Turns out I was correct.

If I was incorrect, then I would be the first to apologise and withdraw my statement.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 18th February 2011, 03:30 AM   #26
Rolfe
Adult human female

Deserved =/= Demanding. The prosecution demanded that and that is what they got.

Yes, based on the finding that Willingham had deliberately started the fire with the intention of killing the children. Not as a punishment for insufficient bravery in relation to an accidental fire!

Standing around doing nothing while your children burn to death is inhumane, not some person 15,000 km away expressing an opinion.

It's all sorts of epithets, I agree. But if the fire was accidental in origin (or even if it was deliberate but Willingham had no hand in starting it), NOT, not not not not and I can't say this enough, a capital offence.

The facts in evidence have not changed. I made a judgement call based on the Times article,

Turns out I was correct.

If I was incorrect, then I would be the first to apologise and withdraw my statement.

I was never referring to the facts you present. They are and always were irrelevant to the point I was making. You made a "what-if" statement - what if the fire hadn't been arson? In that case, you declared that Willingham deserved to be executed anyway. I believe this to be wrong in the most fundamental way.

I don't support the death penalty, in principle. But there are some people who are, shall we say, not the poster children for the abolition movement. Someone who has deliberately started a house fire in order to kill his own children is not someone I would go to bat for in that respect.

However, the judicial taking of a life is a very very serious business. Perhaps the most serious business there is. If it's justifiable at all, it should be done only in response to the most heinous crimes, and after a great deal of deliberation. I believe that is the actual position in the USA.

The cavalier call that the man "deserved to be executed", even if all he'd been guilty of was cowardice in the face of a raging inferno, was what I was objecting to. And I still do. It's the attitude of someone who holds human life cheap.

I'm not going to say you're wrong to call for the death penalty if Willingham committed murder by arson. It's a perfectly reasonable position, if you support the death penalty at all. Calling for the death penalty for cowardice in the face of a house fire, though - will you just think about what you said, for goodness sake?

Rolfe.
Old 18th February 2011, 03:41 AM   #27
Skwinty
Philosopher

Calling for the death penalty for cowardice in the face of a house fire, though - will you just think about what you said, for goodness sake?

Rolfe.
Rolfe, will you please just think about this, and this is my point.

The Willingham case was charged as a multiple child murder, and not an arson-murder to achieve capital status. I am convinced that in the absence of any arson testimony, the outcome of the trial would have been unchanged, a fact that did not escape the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. While anti-death penalty advocates can muster some remarkably good arguments, Todd Willingham should not be anyone's poster child.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 18th February 2011, 03:48 AM   #28
Rolfe
Adult human female

That is a most peculiar statement. How can you possibly justify calling that murder, if he didn't start the fire?

Rolfe.
Old 18th February 2011, 06:01 AM   #29
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I'm aware you're not the prosecutor. So how about "your saying that he deserved..." and then you reacting to the sentence?

The generality of this statement again is appalling. Firefighters are specialized to go into burning buildings, ordinary people not.

The New Yorker article I presume? Could you then point out on basis of what?

Turns out I was correct.
Did you read my previous post, in which I listed the various challenges the New Yorker put to the official court story?

You'd still say he deserved the death penalty even if he barely made it out of his house alive himself.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 06:23 AM   #30
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Rolfe, will you please just think about this, and this is my point.

I'm not conversant with the details of Texas law what has to be charged to achieve capital status - I get as much that a single murder is not enough. But what you wrote above simply cannot be.

"Murder" requires (a) premeditation, and (b) an active act. "Manslaughter" requires an active act.

When the fire was not an arson - and therefore accidental, I cannot see for one moment how this scenario could be either of them.

How can you premeditate a scenario of accidental fire? "If there's a short-circuit in the children's bedroom, I'm gonna flee the house and leave them there". Great kind of premeditation.

He also didn't active kill them. He left them in a fire. Without the arson, at most you could prove negligent homicide.

Finally, Skwinty, for keeping this debate tidy, could you please "take the death penalty off the table" so to say? If you continue to make claims like "in this scenario, he deserves the death penalty", in good conscience I cannot say anything else than "No". If you phrase it like "in this scenario he deserves the severest penalty", I can agree with you if I also think that scenario is a very grave crime. You've thrown around very liberally with the death penalty thus far, and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Old 18th February 2011, 06:24 AM   #31
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

The neighbours who didn't run into the fire should be killed too, I guess.
Sir Robin Goodfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 08:16 AM   #32
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

I would encourage everyone commenting on the case to read the article in The New Yorker. It shows how the case against Willingham is unfounded, and further demonstrates how it is extremely unlikely that arson actually occurred.

If these types of people have no respect for the lives of their own children, why should I have respect for their life.
It's a good thing that's not how the world actually works. What's your thought process, here? I do not value X, therefore X should be eliminated? It's hard to fathom how a society could function with that prevailing attitude.

Originally Posted by Sir Robin Goodfellow View Post
Agreed. Might as well throw in everyone who refrains from volunteering for the fire department, as well. Cowards, the lot of of them!
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2011, 11:39 AM   #33
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Bump.

Skwinty?

Old 28th February 2014, 07:04 PM   #34
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

along with discredited arson evidence, there is now tainted testimony

The NYT reported "As he worked through the stack of papers, he saw a note scrawled on the inside of the district attorney’s file folder stating that Mr. Webb’s charges were to be listed as robbery in the second degree, not the heavier first-degree robbery charge he had originally been convicted on, 'based on coop in Willingham.'" In other words a jail house snitch got a reduction in his sentence for making a statement against Willingham, in spite of the testimony of then DA Jackson to the contrary. Why am I no longer surprised?
Old 28th February 2014, 07:31 PM   #35
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Incidentally, does the US military tribunal still implement the death penalty for cowardice?
The United States military has not carried out a death sentence since 1961 and apparently only one death sentence was carried out for desertion/cowardice. There are currently 5 people awaiting execution having been sentenced to such by a US military court martial, every one of them convicted of multiple counts of murder.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 05:32 AM   #36
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
I would too!
Indeed. Polygraphy is pseudo-scientific nonsense. Frankly any LEA that still relies on such rubbish has serious problems.

Originally Posted by Sir Robin Goodfellow View Post
Of course.

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
The NYT reported "As he worked through the stack of papers, he saw a note scrawled on the inside of the district attorney’s file folder stating that Mr. Webb’s charges were to be listed as robbery in the second degree, not the heavier first-degree robbery charge he had originally been convicted on, 'based on coop in Willingham.'" In other words a jail house snitch got a reduction in his sentence for making a statement against Willingham, in spite of the testimony of then DA Jackson to the contrary. Why am I no longer surprised?
I take it the prosecutor hasn't been charged with perjury? Such a failure to provide material facts to the defense would be sufficient to invalidate a conviction in other jurisdictions.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 05:45 AM   #37
catsmate
No longer the 1

Fascinating. I've just looked over some material on this case (of which I'd never previously heard); a classic mix of junk forensics, dubious and contradictory testimony and now possible prosecutorial misconduct.
And of course he was executed in a election year.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 09:58 AM   #38
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

the note is a recent development

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
I take it the prosecutor hasn't been charged with perjury? Such a failure to provide material facts to the defense would be sufficient to invalidate a conviction in other jurisdictions.
From what I can gather, the incriminating note has just recently come to light. I recall one or more interviews with the now retired Judge Jackson, which probably deserve to be reexamined. Here is a link to a blog entry on the case. The author had several entries.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 1st March 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 10:21 AM   #39
catsmate
No longer the 1

Thanks, yes the link seems to be new. I hope there's some action from it.

ETA: I see that the infamous "Dr. Death" Grigsonwas involved too.
Now there's some who who makes my opposition to execution difficult.

Last edited by catsmate; 1st March 2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 1st March 2014, 11:11 AM   #40
catsmate
No longer the 1

<snip>
He had attempted to abort pregnancy by vicious attacks on his wife in which he beat and kicked his wife with the specific intent to trigger miscarriage;
Do you have any evidence for this claim? While I've seen it cited (by the prosecutor) there is no available evidence of any arrest for such an offense and Willingham's wife specifically denied any such incident took place. She also continued the relationship after the date of the alleged attack.

5. Willingham was a serial wife abuser, both physically and emotionally. His violent nature was further established by evidence of his vicious attacks on animals which is common to violent sociopaths;
Do you have any evidence for this cleams, viz, that "Willingham was a serial wife abuser" and that he was a violent sociopath?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors