IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags david bain , jeremy bamber , murder cases , New Zealand cases

Old 24th July 2017, 03:42 AM   #281
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Anyone with far too much time on their hands listening to the Stuff podcasts is welcome to keep the thread up to date with the evidence & conclusions!
You are incorrigible.
Van Beynen paints bad in the covering article, he is a failed lawyer, a failed journalist. I like him for that because he is a battler, but David Bain is innocent.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 01:44 PM   #282
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
You are incorrigible.
Van Beynen paints bad in the covering article, he is a failed lawyer, a failed journalist. I like him for that because he is a battler, but David Bain is innocent.
No worries, mate - I'll stick to the evidence rather than your opinion.

I do find it interesting that Van Beynen is a mirror of your boy who has fought so long for Lundy.
Old 24th July 2017, 07:51 PM   #283
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

No worries, mate - I'll stick to the evidence rather than your opinion.

I do find it interesting that Van Beynen is a mirror of your boy who has fought so long for Lundy.
You mean Mike White??
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 05:46 PM   #284
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Geoff Levick
Old 25th July 2017, 05:59 PM   #285
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Geoff Levick
Geoff is a retired very successful horticultural and agricultural chemicals importer.
He is a proper scientist, and has had plenty of contact with Joe Karam.
Despite that I have not asked what he thinks of the Bain case.
Old 25th July 2017, 07:10 PM   #286
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Geoff is a retired very successful horticultural and agricultural chemicals importer.
He is a proper scientist,...
Cite, please?

As I understand it, he was a horse breeder who imported equine products which are classed as chemicals and that he isn't a scientist's backside, but I'm willing to stand corrected.

His cv on LinkedIn seems to support my view more than yours: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoff-le...3767114/?ppe=1

No university, and since he has his UE subjects in, I'd bet he'd put a degree in.
Old 25th July 2017, 07:38 PM   #287
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Cite, please?

As I understand it, he was a horse breeder who imported equine products which are classed as chemicals and that he isn't a scientist's backside, but I'm willing to stand corrected.

His cv on LinkedIn seems to support my view more than yours: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoff-le...3767114/?ppe=1

No university, and since he has his UE subjects in, I'd bet he'd put a degree in.
His work got the Lundy case to the privy council, who accepted it in the shortest time in 180 years.
A rogue system temporarily undid this work, but it is in the way of these cases it will be resolved. Wellington in October, enjoy.

Caveat, in New Zealand the system is so cosy that inmate is largely irrelevant in the political and private club landscape. Look what happened to David Bain.
Old 26th July 2017, 02:01 AM   #288
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

His work got the Lundy case to the privy council, who accepted it in the shortest time in 180 years.
I wasn't discussing his work, I was trying to get you to acknowledge that you were incorrect.

I shall presume your avoidance of the question means he is not a scientist.
Old 26th July 2017, 05:24 AM   #289
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't discussing his work, I was trying to get you to acknowledge that you were incorrect.

I shall presume your avoidance of the question means he is not a scientist.
Geoff Levick is almost as fine a scientist as Andrew Tipping j
And Suzan Glazebrooke j
Sorry, now Sir Andrew and Dame Susan. Lovely lives, doting children and grand children, but terrible terrible liars.
Old 30th July 2017, 04:20 AM   #290
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I listened to the last episode of Black Hands.
Van Beynen claims it was a careful plan but that now Bain has blocked his memory of it. I can't imagine blocking the memory of constructing a careful plan over weeks.
He claims that David shot Robin from behind the curtain.
However we know with certainty the silencer was touching Robin's temple as the single shot was fired, this is an immutable data point.

What plan could count on Robin being close to the curtain and the single shot replicating a suicide trajectory?

This podcast series is a disgrace, Van Beynen should be locked up with some rocket scientists and aircraft engineers who must show their workings to make things safely airborne.
Old 30th July 2017, 06:11 PM   #291
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

However we know with certainty the silencer was touching Robin's temple as the single shot was fired, this is an immutable data point.
Incorrect.

Thanks to the stupidity of the pigs, the point is neither immutable or able to be confirmed or denied.
Old 30th July 2017, 06:42 PM   #292
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Incorrect.

Thanks to the stupidity of the pigs, the point is neither immutable or able to be confirmed or denied.
If I prove it will you join the great and the good?
Old 30th July 2017, 07:22 PM   #293
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

...we know with certainty the silencer was touching Robin's temple as the single shot was fired, this is an immutable data point.
Sorry, I'm not buying this without forensic evidence. I have found nothing to corroborate this assertion, and I'm afraid the cops made such a complete pig's breakfast of their crime scene examination and the way the Robyn's body was handled, that I don't think any will be forthcoming. FFS, he was an obvious gunshot victim, found in close proximity to a potential murder weapon and with a potential suicide note on the family computer, and they didn't even bag his hands, thereby losing any chance to test for GSR. I mean, WTF!!?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 01:49 AM   #294
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If I prove it will you join the great and the good?
You can't. For some reason the difference between fact and supposition seems to escape you.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying this without forensic evidence. I have found nothing to corroborate this assertion, and I'm afraid the cops made such a complete pig's breakfast of their crime scene examination and the way the Robyn's body was handled, that I don't think any will be forthcoming. FFS, he was an obvious gunshot victim, found in close proximity to a potential murder weapon and with a potential suicide note on the family computer, and they didn't even bag his hands, thereby losing any chance to test for GSR. I mean, WTF!!?
Exactly that.
Old 1st August 2017, 03:23 AM   #295
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

You can't. For some reason the difference between fact and supposition seems to escape you.

Exactly that.
The crown eventually ceased and desisted from contesting the contact gunshot wound at the second trial.
Judge Pankhurst instructed the jury to believe Dempster in their deliberations.

Once more:

Dr Alec Dempster, the pathologist:

He described the entry wound to Robin Bain as being 4mm in diameter surrounded by a ring of soot up to 10 mm in diameter.
"This indicates to me that this is a contact wound where the muzzle of the gun has been held in direct contact with the skin of the deceased."

Notes at the crime scene an hour after discovery.
I will for now restrict commenting until the bold arial black highlight is dealt with. For example, explain how this can be planned by a 23 year old as Van Beynen claims he planned.

Nothing else Dempster said in 17 years has any relevance
Old 1st August 2017, 07:34 PM   #296
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The crown eventually ceased and desisted from contesting the contact gunshot wound at the second trial.
Solely because the idiot pigs didn't respect the evidence.

One expert witness? How often does that happen? There was no challenge because there was nothing to challenge.

Kudos to little Joe* and his boys for realising it, minus several million points for NZ Police.

*Did I mention he is a really short guy, with all of the attendant short man's syndrome you'd ever want? Joe Karam, certifiable midget. (He hates that, so I thought it was a good time to mention it - he Googles his name a lot.)
Old 1st August 2017, 09:50 PM   #297
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing else Dempster said in 17 years has any relevance
I'm not letting you poison the well that easily.

What you appear to be doing is cherry picking part of what he has said, and discarding those part which you don't agree with. That is not now expert testimony works!

"Although his view at David Bain's first trial in 1995 was the wound was a contact or close-range wound, he (Dempster) now had to accept the wound was not a tight contact wound, taking into account the marking caused to Robin Bain's skin by the gases expelled from the rifle."

I believe David killed his father, because the forensic evidence fits that scenario. The finding of blood spatter on the alcove curtain 820mm above the floor tends to suggest that Robin was close to the curtain, not sitting in a chair some distance away. The scenario of David standing behind the curtain and shooting Robin in the head makes the most sense to me.

Whether David killed his family is another matter. I still think the 'Robin murders family - David kills Robin in anger scenario' is still a viable one. I have yet to see anything that definitely rules out this scenario.

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2017, 11:12 PM   #298
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not letting you poison the well that easily.

What you appear to be doing is cherry picking part of what he has said, and discarding those part which you don't agree with. That is not now expert testimony works!

"Although his view at David Bain's first trial in 1995 was the wound was a contact or close-range wound, he (Dempster) now had to accept the wound was not a tight contact wound, taking into account the marking caused to Robin Bain's skin by the gases expelled from the rifle."

I believe David killed his father, because the forensic evidence fits that scenario. The finding of blood spatter on the alcove curtain 820mm above the floor tends to suggest that Robin was close to the curtain, not sitting in a chair some distance away. The scenario of David standing behind the curtain and shooting Robin in the head makes the most sense to me.

Whether David killed his family is another matter. I still think the 'Robin murders family - David kills Robin in anger scenario' is still a viable one. I have yet to see anything that definitely rules out this scenario.
Yes it is popular, I sat at a meeting where everyone listened politely to this being the only solution by a perfectly rational journalist.
I don't buy it.
There was blood in the rifle barrel that is thrown back by the bullet not exiting the other side of the head.
That blow back requires a reasonable seal.
Old 4th August 2017, 09:00 PM   #299
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

And Justice Ian Binnie has sentenced New Zealand. One hurring big black eye for this monstrosity against David Bain the New Zealand public and justice for all.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/playe...o_id=201853679
Old 5th August 2017, 01:20 AM   #300
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And Justice Ian Binnie has sentenced New Zealand. One hurring big black eye for this monstrosity against David Bain the New Zealand public and justice for all.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/playe...o_id=201853679
He's right on at least one count. New Zealand has to de-politicise issues of compensation for wrongful conviction. Politicians should not be allowed anywhere near these kinds of decisions, it should be a matter for the courts and the courts alone.

As I have said before, I am very much in favour of a system that is something like the American system of a "penalty phase" after a guilty verdict in a first degree murder trial. IMO, ALL criminal trials should have penalty phase, whether the verdict is guilty or not guilty. This is how I envisage it working...

When there is guilty verdict, the penalty phase is simply what happens now. The judge passes sentence, and the defendant is taken down and serves his sentence

In a not guilty verdict, first and foremost, the defendant should have ALL of their costs reimbursed, coming out of the other end of the process no worse off financially than they were going in. The defendant submits his costs schedule and the jury rubber stamps the payment. However, the jury should also be able to decide on punitive damages where the prosecutor's case was so poor that they believe it should never have gone to trial, e.g. the Ewen McKenzie trial

However, when there is a retrial and a guilty verdict is overturned (e.g. David Bain, Arthur Thomas, David Dougherty, Teina Pora), the jury should decide on the question of compensation. Both sides put their case for and/or against compensation as well as stating the amount that should be paid, and the jury retires again to deliberate.

We will never have justice for the wrongfully convicted in this country until politicians with personal agendas are taken out of the loop. Compensation claims in these cases have far too many delays.... justice delayed is justice denied. Unfortunately such a change would take an act of Parliament... and last time I heard, turkeys never vote for Christmas.

PS: I would also change our verdict system to a three verdict system, but that is another discussion.

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th August 2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 5th August 2017, 03:27 AM   #301
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

He's right on at least one count. New Zealand has to de-politicise issues of compensation for wrongful conviction. Politicians should not be allowed anywhere near these kinds of decisions, it should be a matter for the courts and the courts alone.

As I have said before, I am very much in favour of a system that is something like the American system of a "penalty phase" after a guilty verdict in a first degree murder trial. IMO, ALL criminal trials should have penalty phase, whether the verdict is guilty or not guilty. This is how I envisage it working...

When there is guilty verdict, the penalty phase is simply what happens now. The judge passes sentence, and the defendant is taken down and serves his sentence

In a not guilty verdict, first and foremost, the defendant should have ALL of their costs reimbursed, coming out of the other end of the process no worse off financially than they were going in. The defendant submits his costs schedule and the jury rubber stamps the payment. However, the jury should also be able to decide on punitive damages where the prosecutor's case was so poor that they believe it should never have gone to trial, e.g. the Ewen McKenzie trial

However, when there is a retrial and a guilty verdict is overturned (e.g. David Bain, Arthur Thomas, David Dougherty, Teina Pora), the jury should decide on the question of compensation. Both sides put their case for and/or against compensation as well as stating the amount that should be paid, and the jury retires again to deliberate.

We will never have justice for the wrongfully convicted in this country until politicians with personal agendas are taken out of the loop. Compensation claims in these cases have far too many delays.... justice delayed is justice denied. Unfortunately such a change would take an act of Parliament... and last time I heard, turkeys never vote for Christmas.

PS: I would also change our verdict system to a three verdict system, but that is another discussion.
I believe this Binnie interview and the disgusting Temple Camp book which was not ambushed are plausible game changers.
Collins is human excrement. A disgusting pig in lipstick.
That flatters.
Old 27th March 2019, 07:09 PM   #302
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ah, dear old Baino, now residing in Aussie under a different name...

While his best buddy, confidante and groomsman, Paul Wilson gets sentenced for a murder committed since David's wedding.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12216916

Hasn't had much to say on the subject, our David.

And Wilson's only killed two people.
Old 28th March 2019, 11:49 PM   #303
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, dear old Baino, now residing in Aussie under a different name...

While his best buddy, confidante and groomsman, Paul Wilson gets sentenced for a murder committed since David's wedding.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12216916

Hasn't had much to say on the subject, our David.

And Wilson's only killed two people.
David Bain wasn't the only person he fooled, the whole judiciary and penal system were fooled.
David Bain is in professional company.
Old 1st April 2019, 01:13 AM   #304
Fixit
Critical Thinker

Why should he say anything?
Fixit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 12:41 PM   #305
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
Why should he say anything?
He had plenty to say when he was asked about including him the wedding party.

Seems only reasonable he should be called on the enormous praise he lavished on Wilson at that time.
Old 1st April 2019, 02:06 PM   #306
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

He had plenty to say when he was asked about including him the wedding party.

Seems only reasonable he should be called on the enormous praise he lavished on Wilson at that time.
The problem here is he was denied free association by the state for 13 years to seek unimpeachable company. And then he was entitled to rely on the professional opinion of the parole board to support his own judgement.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:23 AM   #307
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

New Zealand now must choose between an ex minister for justice and an ex opposition spokesperson for justice, Judith Collins and Jacinda Ardern.

They are both fatally flawed by the chain of evidence. I feel alone in utterly despising both, Collins for being wrong on Bain, and for pouring contempt on Ian Binnie in her nasty little book

Pull no Punches.

ETA, Lashl weighed in early

Ian Binnie, who is a retired Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, is certainly no slouch, so I am interested in reading his take on the matter.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2&postcount=21

Last edited by Samson; 1st August 2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 24th January 2024, 03:29 PM   #308
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

In Stuff today - https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/bla...erfect-family/

Guilty as sin.

Quote:
One of the jurors, a law student who was later revealed to have a recent conviction for stealing a large sum from her Christchurch employer, had earlier gone up to David and given him a hug. A male juror, who seemed to have become good friends with the hugging juror during the trial, shook David's hand. Both jurors later turned up at the party although didn't stay long.
Old 24th January 2024, 03:58 PM   #309
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Here are some agreed facts

1. Robin Bain died by one bullet.
2. The silencer was in contact with his temple.
3. The bullet trajectory was wholly consistent with suicide.
4. Laniet accused Robyn of incest and vowed to expose him the night before the deaths.
5. David's foot was two big for the bloody footprint so it was made by Robin.
6. Martin van Beynen is an obsessive, lying dickhead.
Old 24th January 2024, 04:32 PM   #310
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Please link to the actual quote.
Old 24th January 2024, 04:58 PM   #311
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Here are some agreed facts

1. Robin Bain died by one bullet.
2. The silencer was in contact with his temple.
3. The bullet trajectory was wholly consistent with suicide.
4. Laniet accused Robyn of incest and vowed to expose him the night before the deaths.
5. David's foot was two big for the bloody footprint so it was made by Robin.
6. Martin van Beynen is an obsessive, lying dickhead.
Agreed by you.

The only reason David isn't still where he belongs is that the cops screwed up.

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Please link to the actual quote.
I did. That exact quote, word for word, is in the link.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:07 AM   #312
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed by you.

The only reason David isn't still where he belongs is that the cops screwed up.

I did. That exact quote, word for word, is in the link.
I find it fascinating that you are uninterested in the contact to the temple and the suicide trajectory through the brain.
If you avoid this conundrum I can never believe another word you say.
Old 29th January 2024, 01:10 AM   #313
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I find it fascinating that you are uninterested in the contact to the temple and the suicide trajectory through the brain.
I'm extremely interested in it.

Sadly, the police didn't preserve the evidence and Baino walked free.

I bet he sleeps well. I just feel sorry for the twisted children he's bringing up. That's one Kiwi Aussie is welcome to.
Old 29th January 2024, 02:39 AM   #314
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I'm extremely interested in it.

Sadly, the police didn't preserve the evidence and Baino walked free.

I bet he sleeps well. I just feel sorry for the twisted children he's bringing up. That's one Kiwi Aussie is welcome to.
I posted often enough the pathologists first notebook entry about 10am.
There was a 4 mil hole with a 10 mil ring of soot. He wrote "the silencer muzzle was in contact with the temple".
At that stage he could not know that the autopsy would discover a trajectory that was precisely consistent with Robin placing the gun butt on the floor, locating the silencer to his left temple, then reaching to the trigger with his right thumb.
It is not.possible for this scenario to be compelled with no margin of error by a second party, ie David Bain

Lord some one please come to this thread and help the Atheist.
Old 29th January 2024, 01:24 PM   #315
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

At that stage he could not know that the autopsy would discover a trajectory that was precisely consistent with Robin placing the gun butt on the floor, locating the silencer to his left temple, then reaching to the trigger with his right thumb.
And being so determined to kill himself, he didn't bother to unscrew the silencer to give himself an extra 3 inches.

Yeah, right.

Have you ever fired a .22?
Old 30th January 2024, 03:35 AM   #316
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

And being so determined to kill himself, he didn't bother to unscrew the silencer to give himself an extra 3 inches.

Yeah, right.

Have you ever fired a .22?
He didn't need the 3 inches but he did need the silencer on while he was killing his family.
You are now arguing from incredulity. No one has ever suggested he could not reach the trigger with silencer intact. Don't forget Charlie Wilkes vs Atheist on the marks on his thumb. Charlie won hands down, go back and check. This case is dead easy, like Lundy and Ewan MacDonald. Alibis, logistics, science,
Jesus we have a terrible pack of idiots, policing, prosecuting and judging.

Last edited by Samson; 30th January 2024 at 03:36 AM.
Old 30th January 2024, 11:03 AM   #317
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

He didn't need the 3 inches but he did need the silencer on while he was killing his family.
I repeat my question - have you ever fired a .22?

You are now arguing from incredulity. No one has ever suggested he could not reach the trigger with silencer intact.
I didn't say he couldn't reach it, just would have been much easier.

Don't forget Charlie Wilkes vs Atheist on the marks on his thumb. Charlie won hands down, go back and check.
Nonsense. I don't accept that at all. Charlie can say what he likes, just as Joe Karam did.
Old 30th January 2024, 12:57 PM   #318
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I repeat my question - have you ever fired a .22?

I didn't say he couldn't reach it, just would have been much easier.

Nonsense. I don't accept that at all. Charlie can say what he likes, just as Joe Karam did.
Without even referring back, Charlie said he got the same marks on his thumb loading a 22.
Like in the Lundy and MacDonald cases there is a pyramid of alibi material with the suicide trajectory and the muzzle contact at the top.
This is about one and only one chance to precisely simulate a suicide with a murder.

1. Research suicide trajectories with a long gun.
2. Force your victim to stand stock still while your trajectory research is validated.
3. Have actual contact to the temple to get the 4 mil hole and the 10 mil ring of soot.

You are not getting with the program, Ian Binnie versus Judith Collins is the worst and most egregious political ignorance and interference in our history, and she is still crowing.

Some things in life are simple, and this is peak simple.

A gun suicide is the simplest forensic conclusion to reach.
Gunshot from a distance is murder.
Contact gun shot with trajectory consistent with self delivery is suicide, not usually, always.
Remember your eureka moment when you realized Lundy was innocent, have another and post to your website.

Last edited by Samson; 30th January 2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 31st January 2024, 02:19 AM   #319
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Without even referring back, Charlie said he got the same marks on his thumb loading a 22.
Big ******* deal. I had identical marks from working on a car.

... Ian Binnie ...
Should be struck off for negligence and bias. The man made his mind up before he was ever tasked with the review.

Some things in life are simple, and this is peak simple.
I agree. David was a sick little SOB who decided to kill his entire family and blame his father. The paper round, the phone call, the blood on his hands, and his gun... The only sad thing about the case was he was so obviously guilty the cops didn't make sure the evidence was complete.
Old 31st January 2024, 03:05 AM   #320
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Big ******* deal. I had identical marks from working on a car.

Should be struck off for negligence and bias. The man made his mind up before he was ever tasked with the review.

I agree. David was a sick little SOB who decided to kill his entire family and blame his father. The paper round, the phone call, the blood on his hands, and his gun... The only sad thing about the case was he was so obviously guilty the cops didn't make sure the evidence was complete.
Posts like this encourage me to cancel membership.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors