IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags David Gilroy , murder cases , Scotland cases

Old 28th January 2015, 03:58 PM   #81
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I know the burden of proof is on the prosecution and the defendant doesn't have to account for his actions if he doesn't think that burden has been met, but Gilroy would have a much better case if he would just step up and say where he went on his long drive, how his suspension got broken, etc, etc. As far as I can tell (from the brief reading I've done this evening after looking at this thread) he has never done so. Am I wrong?
His problem is in coming up with a plausible explanation. The fact that he can make up anything he wants but has not made the attempt is in itself an indication of how snookered he is. Now, he also has to explain his delay in saying what happened.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:04 PM   #82
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Scott Peterson is thought to have shrink-wrapped his wife as well as weighing her down with concrete anchors he made. She (or what was left of her) still bobbed up months later as did her foetus a mile or so away.

We had an interesting discussion at Injustice Anywhere about that case in the course of which I devised a way of disposing of a weighted body from a small boat without capsizing. It was one of the defence arguments at his trial that this was not possible. They tried unsuccessfully to admit a film of someone attempting it (obviously not with a real body).

The guy I mentioned yesterday, Peter Hogg, managed it in the Lake District, although I don't know how. Anyone like to guess my method, or should I wait 'til my turn in the trivia quiz thread and post it as a question there? The body must be weighed down by about 5 concrete anchors and the boat must be small.

ETA I should say my method may well only work inside my head.
A roll of nylon fishnet, secured at both ends, would work better than plastic wrap. One should really use so much weight (500 pounds of rock or cement) as to require heavy tackle or a tow-able dinghy that can be capsized.

Peterson's other mistake was to dump his wife's body in shallow water where it was disturbed by a storm. My fishnet idea would not work in that location because of all the commercial vessels. It would only be a matter of time before the bundle was snagged in tackle and brought up.

I have President Channel at my disposal, 800 feet deep in places. Goodbye forever, darling. Don't think it wasn't nice...

But then I have avoided the problem of female persistence by remaining single. I don't need to call on Poseidon.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:05 PM   #83
Rolfe
Adult human female

When I can figure out how to work the bleedin' Maps thing on the iPad I will get up to speed. This sounds interesting.

Pay Uncle OS for full access. He's worth it. The detail on Google Maps in these barely populated areas is hopeless. I don't imagine your iPad will be any better. OS is the way to go, every time. You can't get Streetview, but the aerial views are superb. If nothing else, once you're oriented with the OS map, you can then find the featureless line you want on Google.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:05 PM   #84
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
OK, you explain how you get both Tyndrum and Arrochar into the same route from Edinburgh to Lochgilphead.

Here, somebody gets it. Quite where do police want campers and walkers to look for Suzanne Pilley’s body?

There has also been mention of Glen Orchy, which is near Dalmally which I mentioned earlier and is on the road from Tyndrum to Inveraray. But hey guys, have you looked at Glen Aral? I mean, the only question is, why wouldn't you choose that?
What if he was trying to confuse any hunt for the body? Assuming he was seen on CCTV in Tyndrum he could drive to Inveraray, dump the body on the way then go up the Rest and Be Thankful, turn on his phone so he would be traced there, turn it off again and go back to Inveraray where he was caught on CCTV again?

One thing that strikes me is it's not easy finding a place to hide a body. Did the police ever check if he knew any particular part of Argyll well?

In an odd coincidence I'll be staying with friends near Dumbarton this weekend. Maybe I should suggest we go body hunting :-)

Last edited by Guybrush Threepwood; 28th January 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:10 PM   #85
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
A roll of nylon fishnet, secured at both ends, would work better than plastic wrap. One should really use so much weight (500 pounds of rock or cement) as to require heavy tackle or a tow-able dinghy that can be capsized.

Peterson's other mistake was to dump his wife's body in shallow water where it was disturbed by a storm. My fishnet idea would not work in that location because of all the commercial vessels. It would only be a matter of time before the bundle was snagged in tackle and brought up.

I have President Channel at my disposal, 800 feet deep in places. Goodbye forever, darling. Don't think it wasn't nice...

But then I have avoided the problem of female persistence by remaining single. I don't need to call on Poseidon.
The cure is worse than the disease.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:21 PM   #86
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
What if he was trying to confuse any hunt for the body? Assuming he was seen on CCTV in Tyndrum he could drive to Inveraray, dump the body on the way then go up the Rest and Be Thankful, turn on his phone so he would be traced there, turn it off again and go back to Inveraray where he was caught on CCTV again?

One thing that strikes me is it's not easy finding a place to hide a body. Did the police ever check if he knew any particular part of Argyll well?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've found an article saying his car was seen on CCTV in both Tyndrum and Inveraray, 2 hours apart. That's interesting, because it shouldn't really take you more than three quarters of an hour to drive that, probably less. But we don't know the times of these two sightings.

There are other reports of his phone pinging a mast or masts near Rest And Be Thankful. But again we don't know what time this was supposed to be at.

I also note that they're not even clear whether he disposed of the body on the way to Lochgilphead or the way back. There are time periods both in the early afternoon and the evening when police are asking for sightings of the car.

I think he may have been playing silly buggers to draw police to the wrong area of countryside. And given their spectacular lack of success in finding a body, he may have succeeded. That's why I asked about the possibility he may have believed he couldn't be convicted without a body. If he was labouring under that misapprehension he might have thought it didn't matter if he was suspected and looked as suspicious as hell, so long as he succeeded in removing Miss Pilley from the face of Scotland.

So, virtual Mars Bar to the first person to find the times of the CCTV sightings, and the times of the phone mast pings.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:37 PM   #87
Rolfe
Adult human female

It's "Callander" by the way. I never could spell that place.
Old 28th January 2015, 05:44 PM   #88
Rolfe
Adult human female

The times the police were talking about when they were looking for sightings of the car were 1 pm to 3.30 pm, and 7 pm to 9 pm. The reasons for these particular times were not stated. I assumed the missing time between Tyndrum and Inveraray was on the way to Lochgilphead, as much because of the order of the names as anything else. Tyndrum comes first if you're travelling west.

However, Gilroy apparently blagged some plastic bin bags and cable ties from the cleaning staff at the school at Lochgilphead. I wonder if he tried to dispose of the body on the way out, but decided he needed the bags and then went back to the spot on the way back once he had them?

The 2-hour window between Tyndrum and Inveraray, if true, is surely crucial. Say 40 minutes to drive that, normally, without stopping. That would give him an hour and 20 minutes to dispose of the body if he did it on the route he should have taken. Which most definitely does not involve the Rest And Be Thankful, or Hell's Glen.

If he was playing silly buggers, and decided to detour round the Rest And Be Thankful, he would have had to turn right around at Tyndrum and go back the way he came to Crianlarich, then head to Ardlui. That would have taken him at least an hour, which is really eating into the time he needs to hide the body. If he detoured round the B road through Hell's Glen, it gets even worse. That's a single-track road and you can't go at any speed. He'd have ended up with about half an hour to pick a good spot and do the entire body-stashing. Hell's Glen is out, if he hid the body in the two hours between Tyndrum and Inveraray. And how could he have been sure he wasn't noticed at the point where he doubled back? A CCTV camera in Crianlarich catching him coming and going as it were would be very suspicious.

If he really did hide the body in the two hours between these two towns (I use the word "town" in its loosest possible sense here), I really can't imagine that he detoured far off the direct route.

The first half of that road, to just beyond Dalmally, is on the A85(T). This is a busy road. There are not many places where you can drive off it, at least in the earlier part. It follows Glen Lochy which is another of these constricting ravines, and the railway takes the same route. I'd be very wary of railways in this situation. You might think you're somewhere really deserted, and then along comes the Oban express....

Glenorchy has its points, but the road is frankly diabolical, and there's no obvious benefit to wasting time trailing up there. There's nothing up there you can't find, say, in Glen Aray. There's a big area of forest around Succoth Lodge. Maybe. Still a bit close to the main trunk road and railway. After that you're through Dalmally and heading for the A819.

There's forest round Blarchaorain farm, then again round a hill called Craig Bracha, with a circular forest track, then the area that really intrigues me, to the west of the road. NN 076 190. There's no farm or lodge in there, and there are a lot of branching forest tracks. Some lead off the A819, and some lead off the B840, but the latter wouldn't be a significant detour at all. Then there's more, both sides of the road, as you go through Glen Aray, before you get to Inveraray.

If I were Gilroy, I'd use a map to find the best spot. I wonder if he bought a Pathfinder of the area? I wonder if anyone asked any of the shops? This was 2010. I'd be worried about going off my direct route in a way that might be seen (and that includes driving up that Glenorchy road, which would attract the attention of anyone checking on their new lambs around these hills). I'd be trying to duck into one of the forest areas I'd have to pass anyway.

Some of them have gates across the tracks, but I don't know how hard they'd be to get open. Some don't. He's got to get some way from the road, and he only has about an hour and a quarter to find the right spot, unload the body, and conceal it. I really think this happened between Dalmally and Inveraray, if that alleged 2-hour window is the time it was done. None of the reports even mentions that area.

I'd dearly love to know where the phone mast pings fit into this. Surely to God in 2010 anyone who is trying to do something clandestine knows to switch their bloody phone off, or leave it at home switched on or something like that.
Old 28th January 2015, 06:27 PM   #89
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Why not hire somebody with trained cadaver dogs to find the body? Or, do you want to do it by foot searching old school style (leather, brass and wool) like we see on the BBC-produced series shown here on American cable TV?
Old 28th January 2015, 06:48 PM   #90
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

His problem is in coming up with a plausible explanation. The fact that he can make up anything he wants but has not made the attempt is in itself an indication of how snookered he is. Now, he also has to explain his delay in saying what happened.
Are we as jury members not supposed to attach any weight to his silence? Because that looks increasingly impossible for any normal person to do.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 07:15 PM   #91
Rolfe
Adult human female

Hmmmmm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-17358340

Quote:
After analysing CCTV evidence, police had recreated a journey he made to Argyll and back three times.

They discovered Mr Gilroy had taken two hours longer than their average time each way.

And a comparison of fuel consumption suggested there were 124 miles unaccounted for. [....]

He had made a journey to Lochgilphead, to check on a school his firm was overseeing.

However, he did not take a direct route and instead headed much further north.

He was logged at Tyndrum at 13:22, then Inveraray at 15:51 before arriving at Lochgilphead at 16:26.

Gilroy's car suspension was found by investigators to be badly damaged and it had vegetation stuck underneath.

They were convinced he had driven off road.

Detectives were certain he had detoured along the A83 to somewhere near the beauty spot, Rest and Be Thankful, with enough time to dispose of Ms Pilley's body.

He took 2 hours too long, both ways. Which suggests he half-hid her on the way out, then went back with the bin bags and ties to make a better job of it. And at the same time there was an extra 124 miles estimated from fuel consumption. That sort of distance would account for a significant chunk of the additional four hours, if he'd actually driven it. You can't average a particularly fast speed on these roads, they're all single carriageway. You could easily take 3 hours to do that distance, if you were on anything but a trunk road. This seriously does not compute. He can't have driven all these extra miles and still had reasonable time to find a suitable place and stash the body.

I wonder if the cops are labouring under a misapprehension here. "They were convinced he had driven off-road." Right. I don't know what their fuel consumption does if they drive an ordinary road saloon off-road, but I think mine would get pretty damn bad. The suspension was so badly damaged the car was almost undrivable. How did that happen? Did he get stuck somewhere, and have to rev the engine a lot to get free? If they had seen extra miles on the clock that would have been one thing, but I seriously doubt the extra distance story based on fuel consumption, when you know the guy was doing stuff to that car that would put m.p.g. down to single figures maybe. I'm deeply unconvinced that he drove very far away from the direct road. He needed the time to hide the body, maybe to find a suitable place and hide her roughly on the way out, then to go back with the bin bags and stuff and finish the job on the way home.

The cops have a strange idea of what a direct route would be. Personally, starting from Edinburgh, I would go through Tyndrum to get to Lochgilphead, simply to avoid the urban M8 and that bloody Loch Lomondside road. So there's nothing weird about it, and it's not too far north. Distance-wise, there's nothing in it. It's a perfectly normal route to choose if you don't want to be stuck on the Kingston Bridge or something.

The time elapsed between Inveraray and Lochgilphead is normal. He didn't do anything on that section. He's taken 2.5 hours to do Tyndrum to Lochgilphead. That's about an hour and 50 minutes too long. Longer than I realised in the last post. If he only took two hours longer than he should have done for the whole journey, that's where it happened. Ten minutes is neither here nor there to get through Stirling or something.

So they really think he doubled back from Tyndrum, retraced his route to Crianlarich, then headed south to Ardlui, Tarbet, Arrochar and into Glen Croe. It's not impossible, it would only put about half an hour extra on the journey I suppose, and still gives him an hour and 20 minutes to do the deed. But why would he?

I could only imagine he got as far as Tyndrum, then remembered a place somewhere up Glen Croe or Hell's Glen (if the latter, kiss goodbye to another 20 minutes minimum) that would be the perfect body-hiding place, so he turned back to go to it. The problem with this is that seems to be what the cops thought he'd done, and they can't find any body despite looking pretty damn hard.

I want to know more about this phone mast ping, where and when. And whether they got any CCTV footage of him on the way back. The idea that he got to Tyndrum then turned back isn't really making a lot of sense to me. He had plenty time to figure out where he was going. If he'd been heading for the A83 and its environs, he'd either have gone through Glasgow in the first place, or he'd have turned sharp south at Crianlarich.

Which mast(s) pinged, and when, and are you sure?
Old 28th January 2015, 07:20 PM   #92
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why not hire somebody with trained cadaver dogs to find the body? Or, do you want to do it by foot searching old school style (leather, brass and wool) like we see on the BBC-produced series shown here on American cable TV?

They used a trained cadaver dog to find the place the body had been hidden just after the murder, and to indicate that the body had been in the boot of Gilroy's car. The dog was a springer spaniel called Buster and his CV is in several of the newspaper articles.

They obviously had hundreds of people searching Glen Croe and round there. I doubt if there are more than two or three cadaver dogs in the country. And they're not used for ranging across wild country, they're used in urban environments. I don't think they could have got the coverage, in practical terms, with the dogs they would have had available.

Bear in mind that the search as it was carried out did find at least one body. Just not Suzanne Pilley's body.
Old 28th January 2015, 07:22 PM   #93
Rolfe
Adult human female

Are we as jury members not supposed to attach any weight to his silence? Because that looks increasingly impossible for any normal person to do.

I rather think that inference is open to us. Like I said, I wonder if he was labouring under the misapprehension that he couldn't be convicted without a body. And then when he realised that wasn't the case, it was too late to regroup.
Old 28th January 2015, 07:30 PM   #94
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Hmm.

I'm looking at a map of Scotland in the area where he disposed of the body. After a casual survey of the terrain, I have reached a conclusion that will save you all a lot of trouble. Ye'll not find the lass.

Bones may eventually turn up, or not, completely by chance, at some indeterminate future date.

We had a similar case in the US some years back, involving a man named Hans Reiser, whose name is attached to a type of Linux file system.

He was tried for killing his wife even though her body could not be found. He actually took the stand and staunchly maintained his innocence, but he was convicted of murder in the first degree.

The victim's family, wanting to know for certain what had happened to their loved one, agreed to a deal in which the conviction would be lifted in exchange for a guilty plea to second-degree murder, with the possibility of release someday. The condition was that Reiser had to divulge the location of the body. He accepted the deal and promptly led police to a shallow grave, about half a mile from where the couple lived, in an area that had been searched extensively.

That's how to crack the Gilroy case IMO.

I have seen this again and again over the years. I remember when a semi-famous aviator named Steve Fossett crashed his plane in Nevada. Thousands of enthusiasts scoured the area for weeks, on the ground, by airplane, by poring over satellite photos. People seriously thought maybe he had disappeared himself intentionally, for some reason, because it seemed like they should have found him, but they could not.

Finally after a year or so the wreckage and some human bones were found by chance, right in the heart of the search area. He had crashed into a cliff.

It's just damned hard to find a body that could be anywhere in a large area.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 07:38 PM   #95
Rolfe
Adult human female

Actually, I saw something in one of the articles about his route back. It may have suggested he went down to Alexandria, then across to Stirling. If that's correct, it would compute with him returning via the Rest and Be Thankful. If he did that, then realised it was quicker for him to turn south at Tarbet and go south of Loch Lomond than to trail all the way back up to Crianlarich again, it would make sense.

That would actually have been a rational route to take in the morning, IF he had intended to go across the Rest and Be Thankful all along, and didn't want to go through the city. (Hell, imagine driving along the M8 and across the Kingston Bridge with a dead body in the boot!)

Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Dalmally, Inveraray, is sensible if you're just going to Lochgilphead.

Stirling, Drymen, Alexandria, Tarbet, Arrochar, is the way to go if you're really heading for the Rest and Be Thankful.

If you do use the more northerly route to get to the Rest and Be Thankful, you turn south at Crianlarich and you don't go to Tyndrum.

If he went back by Alexandria and Drymen, that really does suggest Glen Croe, with the more direct route being taken when he was already committed to that location.

Why don't the journalists tell us the full detail after the trial at least, when it can't damage the case of alert the accused to some sort of lie he needs to tell?

Hmmm. I should have gone to bed long ago. I want to know more about the phone pings. If it hadn't been for these, nobody would even have imagined he'd gone near the A83. But surely nobody leaves their phone on when they're hiding a dead body, unless thay want to mislead deliberately? Not in 2010!

Last edited by Rolfe; 28th January 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 07:44 PM   #96
Rolfe
Adult human female

Hmm.

I'm looking at a map of Scotland in the area where he disposed of the body. After a casual survey of the terrain, I have reached a conclusion that will save you all a lot of trouble. Ye'll not find the lass.

I'm inclined to agree. Except by chance, as you said. They found a body on the east slopes of The Cobbler, while this search was underway, which is just insane. I have no idea how it got there. I'm just intrigued to figure out why they were concentrating on the area between Ardgartan and Loch Fyne, rather than the area to the north of Inveraray. It's all to do with the phone pings.

As you say, they could be in the right place and not find her. Or they could be in the wrong place.

The way they will find her is when Gilroy realises that his life may become considerably less unpleasant if he fesses up to where he put her. Which depends on when he might come up to get out on licence.
Old 28th January 2015, 07:48 PM   #97
Rolfe
Adult human female

Maybe he dumped her in Glen Douglas. (Not!)
Old 28th January 2015, 07:49 PM   #98
Rolfe
Adult human female

Why does anyone live in Lochgoilhead? You'd have to be off your freaking rocker.

If this was Norway, or if we had control of our own money, these places would at least be accessible.

Carrick Castle? Is that even real, or are the mapmakers winding us up?

My God it's real, Google Streetview has actually been there. Fabulous Victorian villas by the shore, at the end of the dirt track from Hades. The only answer is a boat, and hope you don't get stuck on the conning tower of a Trident submarine. This country has its priorities seriously upside down.

Last edited by Rolfe; 28th January 2015 at 07:54 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 12:11 AM   #99
anglolawyer
Banned

Great work Rolfe. Catch some Zs. Charlie, what's with the negative waves, man? There is a telephone box on Mount Snowden and a climber one time heard the phone ring, answered it and found it was wrong number call made by a long lost friend. We just need a little luck.

So far, the main thing I've learned is there are two As in Inveraray. Now, if I knew how to pronounce Lochgilphead I really feel I would be getting somewhere.

I feel sure he went to a particular place he already knew. More info about childhood, hobbies etc required. I see the car as doing most of the work. I don't think one guy can get far lugging a body, especially over difficult ground or through foliage. He sure took a risk with the car. What if he broke down? Game over. Were there any witnesses from Lochgilphead? What did they say about his appearance and demeanour? Did he have any scratches? He might already have masked those I guess if they were from the assault or even if he picked them up lugging her around. I'm interested in the idea that it was a two-stage operation both on the way there and back again. What did he need to do the second time?

Could dogs still be of any use now? I don't see how but I know nothing about dogs.
Old 29th January 2015, 12:17 AM   #100
anglolawyer
Banned

In England and Wales, where the goalposts keep shifting against the defence, a suspect is warned that inferences may be drawn from silence where he later pipes up with an account in court. Silence at the trial itself is not something from which any inference may be drawn. It just means there is nothing (aside from logic) to disturb the inferences the prosecution invites the jury to infer from the facts they put in evidence.
Old 29th January 2015, 02:59 AM   #101
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Great work Rolfe. Catch some Zs. Charlie, what's with the negative waves, man?
I'm a realist, that's all.

I have enjoyed reading Rolfe's discussion of Scottish highways and waterways. This has led me to examine maps and photos of the area, and I could easily see the value of searching for the body when spring comes, even though you won't find it. It's gorgeous country.

I also noted Rolfe's preference for chopping murder victims into bits rather than dumping them in a remote place. It got me to thinking about Ruth Neslund.

Ruth's husband, Rolf Neslund, is a legend in Seattle, because he commissioned a major bridge there, albeit inadvertently. In the late 1970s, as an 80-year-old harbor pilot, Rolf was a commanding presence at the helm. He had the easy confidence born of long experience, but senility, chronic alcoholism and incipient blindness were conspiring to take a toll. One night Rolf steered a 600-foot freighter into the antiquated drawbridge that was then in service over the Duwamish River. The ship was wrecked, the bridge was wrecked, and the debate about whether to build a better bridge was well and truly over.

That new bridge, the West Seattle Bridge, is the one that conveyed you to Salty's restaurant last summer.

Having performed his civic duty, Rolf accepted thanks from the city fathers and retired to Lopez Island, here in the San Juans. For a couple of years, he and Ruth operated a bed & breakfast by day and battled drunkenly by night, until she shot him with a revolver.

Ruth then had a body to dispose of, and she chose Rolfe's method. She claims she incinerated the cut-up body parts in a barrel, but no trace was ever found, and local residents know better. It was the peak of the tourist season, Ruth had hungry guests to serve, and she was not one to squander her drinking funds when meat was freely at hand.

That was quite a few years ago, but people here still reminisce about the sausage grinder in Ruth Neslund's kitchen. She was convicted of manslaughter but, by dint of local sympathy and a good lawyer, she evaded prison for several years. One day, while driving in a drunken stupor, she plowed her vehicle into a couple of bicyclists and nearly killed them. Thus did she end her life behind bars, a few years later.

But of course the Gilroy case is quite different... so back to it. Where did he dump his girlfriend's body, do you suppose...?
Old 29th January 2015, 03:17 AM   #102
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Have they consulted a psychic to find out where the body is? That's the way to go.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 03:37 AM   #103
catsmate
No longer the 1

By the way, here's the innocentisti fan club. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/c...laim.116270328

I wonder, did he think he couldn't be convicted without a body? That seems to be a bit of an urban legend, and he might have believed it. Was it ever the case that the body was 100% essential for a murder conviction?
It seems to have been a common belief, it certainly inspire Haigh and Rowles to attempt to obliterate their victims' bodies. Though both were convicted.
Of course this can be dangerous I recall one case in the US where the 'victim' turned up about a year after the trial.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 03:38 AM   #104
anglolawyer
Banned

I'm a realist, that's all.

I have enjoyed reading Rolfe's discussion of Scottish highways and waterways. This has led me to examine maps and photos of the area, and I could easily see the value of searching for the body when spring comes, even though you won't find it. It's gorgeous country.

I also noted Rolfe's preference for chopping murder victims into bits rather than dumping them in a remote place. It got me to thinking about Ruth Neslund.

Ruth's husband, Rolf Neslund, is a legend in Seattle, because he commissioned a major bridge there, albeit inadvertently. In the late 1970s, as an 80-year-old harbor pilot, Rolf was a commanding presence at the helm. He had the easy confidence born of long experience, but senility, chronic alcoholism and incipient blindness were conspiring to take a toll. One night Rolf steered a 600-foot freighter into the antiquated drawbridge that was then in service over the Duwamish River. The ship was wrecked, the bridge was wrecked, and the debate about whether to build a better bridge was well and truly over.

That new bridge, the West Seattle Bridge, is the one that conveyed you to Salty's restaurant last summer.

Having performed his civic duty, Rolf accepted thanks from the city fathers and retired to Lopez Island, here in the San Juans. For a couple of years, he and Ruth operated a bed & breakfast by day and battled drunkenly by night, until she shot him with a revolver.

Ruth then had a body to dispose of, and she chose Rolfe's method. She claims she incinerated the cut-up body parts in a barrel, but no trace was ever found, and local residents know better. It was the peak of the tourist season, Ruth had hungry guests to serve, and she was not one to squander her drinking funds when meat was freely at hand.

That was quite a few years ago, but people here still reminisce about the sausage grinder in Ruth Neslund's kitchen. She was convicted of manslaughter but, by dint of local sympathy and a good lawyer, she evaded prison for several years. One day, while driving in a drunken stupor, she plowed her vehicle into a couple of bicyclists and nearly killed them. Thus did she end her life behind bars, a few years later.

But of course the Gilroy case is quite different... so back to it. Where did he dump his girlfriend's body, do you suppose...?
Good question. I don't know. Good story too.
Old 29th January 2015, 03:57 AM   #105
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

This bit raises the same questions as earlier:

"Evidence was also given that offices examining Gilroy’s car found it virtually undrivable, with parts of its undercarriage broken and vegetation lodged amongst it. Both of these factors were reasonably taken to show that the car had been driven on tough offroad terrain.

Assuming that some of this vegetation will have had soil samples clinging to it, were forensic tests of the soil type or types carried out?"

Could it be that the vegetation is common to the conflicting geographical areas, so they were just hedging (no pun intended) their bets?

Last edited by Information Analyst; 29th January 2015 at 04:21 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 04:06 AM   #106
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

I also note that they're not even clear whether he disposed of the body on the way to Lochgilphead or the way back. There are time periods both in the early afternoon and the evening when police are asking for sightings of the car.
Maybe he hid the body on the way out, and then - having thought about it - parked up somewhere else secluded (maybe in more than one place) on the way back in order to account for the same amount of lost time? I'm assuming both lost time periods are roughly the same.

ETA: I see from your later post it was 2½ and 2 hours respectively, which seems close enough and supports the idea of him being more active on the way out than on the return. It may also be that if he was just marking time on the way back, he may have got nervous about how late it was getting, and so cut it short. I'm not really convinced about the idea of him returnign to the disposal site a second time. If he knew he was going to get as lucky as he did, he might have chanced it, but I think he would be more likely to drive a route back that came nowhere near the location. The bin liners seem to be a deliberate red herring.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 29th January 2015 at 04:23 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 04:14 AM   #107
Rolfe
Adult human female

You need to consider the logic of someone regularly drives from Edinburgh to Lochgilphead, and how they would fix on a route. There are some rather large lumps of geography in the way, both solid and liquid states, and decisions have to be taken about the best route through. There is also a large city.

Gilroy went over to Lochgilphead regularly, because of the school building contract. He would have a regular route he preferred, rather than tossing a coin every morning, almost certainly. Although the route through Glasgow city centre just has the edge on distance and (theoretical) time, it's very susceptible to traffic jams. All you need is a breakdown on the Kingston Bridge, and believe me some people seem to have a death wish on that one, and you're screwed big time.

Given that logic, I'd say it was highly likely that his normal regular route was north, Stirling - Callander - Crianlarich - Tyndrum - Dalmally - Inveraray. That would be the way he would naturally head if he was going to deal with something at Lochgilphead.

You could decide to pass south of Loch Lomond while still avoiding Glasgow, by taking the A811 from Stirling to Drymen and through to pick up the A82 Loch Lomondside road at Alexandria, but that would be a rather eccentric choice if your goal was Lochgilphead.

Another variant might be to take the normal northerly route, but instead of carrying on to Tyndrum, turn south on to the A82 at Crianlarich. Again this would not be a natural choice of route if you were intent on getting to Lochgilphead.

The first route I mentioned, the sensible one, doesn't go anywhere near the Rest and Be Thankful. The other two do, but they're not natural choices for that journey.

The CCTV evidence would seem to suggest that he took the first route, which would be perfectly natural. But then, he's spent nearly two hours longer than he should have done on the Tyndrum to Inveraray section, which should take only about 40 minutes. There's no time left for him to have done anything significant elsewhere on the journey, so the disposal of the body happened some time between 13.22 and 15.21, and it happened somewhere that was within striking distance of the Tyndrum - Inveraray stretch, without detouring so far that the drive would leave insufficient time to actually do the deed.

It seems likely that he revisited the spot on his return journey, not simply because there's another two hours unaccounted for on that trip as well, but because he blagged some bin bags and cable ties from the cleaning staff at the school in Lochgilphead.

Logic would suggest that he made a detour somewhere on the route between Tyndrum and Inveraray, which is essentially A85 to just beyond Dalmally then A819 through Glen Aray to Inveraray. That route doesn't really seem to be short of possibilities - well nowhere around there is exactly short of possibilities.

The strange thing is that the cops are convinced he actually dumped the body somewhere off the Rest and Be Thankful road, the A83, apparently on the basis of mobile phone mast pings. However, the Tyndrum sighting is anomalous in this context, because to get to the A83 from Tyndrum he would actually have had to turn back to Crianlarich to pick up the A82 and make that detour to the south.

However, if the story about him being seen returning in the evening on the Alexandria - Drymen - Stirling route is true (I need to re-check the newspaper reports for that reference), it would back up the assumption that the Rest and Be Thankful area is the place. The reasoning for that is that while someone setting off for Edinburgh with Lochgilphead in mind would quite naturally take his usual route north and might then think about a detour south to the Rest and Be Thankful, from Crianlarich, someone taking the return journey through the Rest and Be Thankful, then finding himself at Tarbet with the Loch Lomondside A82 in front of him and the choice to turn north for Crianlarich or south for Alexandria, would almost certainly at that point realise that south through Alexandria and Drymen and over to Stirling that way, was the much more sensible option. And one report said his car was seen returning that way.

So I have two scenarios.

In one, he's driving his usual route to Lochgilphead, intending to find somewhere suitable on the way, but when he gets to Tyndrum he suddenly thinks of somewhere he knows of in the Rest and Be Thankful area that would make a great hiding place. Also, it's a slightly unexpected detour so that might not be where the cops would immediately look if they realise what he's done. So he turns, retraces his route back as far as Crianlarich (it's only about 4 or 5 miles), and turns south for Tarbet, Arrochar and the A83. And he forgets to turn his mobile phone off.

He disposes of the body, then proceeds to Inveraray by the head of Loch Fyne, and on to Lochgilphead. There he blags the bin bags and the cable ties while pretending to have come for a normal business visit (which he said was pre-arranged but everyone else said was unexpected). He heads back the same way to where he left the body, spends some time making it less visible, burying it deeper, whatever, then carries on his journey home. As I said, when he gets to Loch Lomond it dawns on him that driving south of the loch is much more sensible than the northerly route he had taken in the morning.

The other scenario is pretty much the same, except that in that one he has intended to go for the Rest and Be Thankful area all along, but since the ostensible purpose of the visit was to go to the school at Lochgilphead he set off on his usual Lochgilphead route without working out that Drymen - Alexandria was actually more sensible for that journey. Then when he got to Crianlarich where he had intended to turn south on to the A82, he was agitated and distracted and missed the turnoff. He didn't realise what he'd done till he found himself at Tyndrum, four miles on, at which point he turned himself around and went back.

I'd really like to know whether any cameras at Crianlarich caught him, because he must have gone through there twice. There's nothing mentioned though. Also, there's nothing mentioned about the Tyndrum camera catching him twice either, or seeing him turning. And yet another thing, did the camera at Inveraray not allow any indication of whether he'd arrived there on the A83 or the A819? That would be very interesting, but if the camera is in the town centre it's probably after the junction.

So there you go. I'd still like to know about the mobile phone pings. Which masts, and when. And I still reel in shock that a murderer disposing of a body in 2010, who takes a rather clever detour to an area that would otherwise be unexpected, would omit the elementary precaution of turning off his mobile phone. Especially this one, who seems to have been plotting pretty cleverly.

Last edited by Rolfe; 29th January 2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 29th January 2015, 04:30 AM   #108
Duffy Moon
Master Poster

Why does anyone live in Lochgoilhead? You'd have to be off your freaking rocker.

Carrick Castle? Is that even real?

My God it's real, Google Streetview has actually been there. Fabulous Victorian villas by the shore, at the end of the dirt track from Hades.

I can confirm it's real as I took a drive down to it when I was in that part of Scotland a few years back.
It's not too bad to drive to in summer, I wouldn't like to think what it would be like in inclement weather, though.

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Have they consulted a psychic to find out where the body is? That's the way to go.
In the timeline for the Nicola Payne murder which I linked on the first page, one of the dates mentions the Oxford canal being dredged after a 'witness' gave some information.
That witness was a psychic that the family consulted, who gave them 'water' and a number.
The canal was dredged at the bridge with that number.
Strangely, nothing was found...
Duffy Moon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 04:42 AM   #109
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
It seems to have been a common belief, it certainly inspire Haigh and Rowles to attempt to obliterate their victims' bodies. Though both were convicted.
Of course this can be dangerous I recall one case in the US where the 'victim' turned up about a year after the trial.

I just wonder, because the circumstantial evidence is really damning, and yet he seemed more intent on hiding the body than on not leaving circumstantial evidence. It's almost as if he was content with an outcome where the cops were saying, we know you bloody did it you bastard, but we can't send you down without a body.

A lot of the articles I've read assume the murder was pre-meditated. They talk about him "luring" her into the basement and so on. I can't see it. It's a ludicrous place to commit a murder when you then have a body to dispose of. It's a miracle he wasn't seen, in Thistle Street. He even had to go back home for his car on a pretext, he hadn't brought it with him in anticipation of needing it.

I think they met in the lobby, started to argue, went to the basement so they could have a serious ding-dong without their colleagues overhearing, then when she revealed that she'd met Mark and had actually spent the previous night with him, Gilroy lost it and throttled her. (One report says a single blow to the head, but how would they know that? The marks on his hands were consistent with someone scratching him while trying to resist being strangled.)

Last edited by Rolfe; 29th January 2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 29th January 2015, 04:45 AM   #110
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

He might have blagged bags for something other than the body itself, e.g., soiled clothing or materials used to clean the car interior, which he then tossed in a dumpster.

He might also have spent a lot of time scouting a location early in the day but only disposed of the body on the return trip.
Old 29th January 2015, 04:46 AM   #111
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Any more details on that? I'd like to read about it.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 04:54 AM   #112
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

...In one, he's driving his usual route to Lochgilphead, intending to find somewhere suitable on the way, but when he gets to Tyndrum he suddenly thinks of somewhere he knows of in the Rest and Be Thankful area that would make a great hiding place. Also, it's a slightly unexpected detour so that might not be where the cops would immediately look if they realise what he's done. So he turns, retraces his route back as far as Crianlarich (it's only about 4 or 5 miles), and turns south for Tarbet, Arrochar and the A83. And he forgets to turn his mobile phone off.

I'd really like to know whether any cameras at Crianlarich caught him, because he must have gone through there twice. There's nothing mentioned though. Also, there's nothing mentioned about the Tyndrum camera catching him twice either, or seeing him turning. And yet another thing, did the camera at Inveraray not allow any indication of whether he'd arrived there on the A83 or the A819? That would be very interesting, but if the camera is in the town centre it's probably after the junction.

So there you go. I'd still like to know about the mobile phone pings. Which masts, and when. And I still reel in shock that a murderer disposing of a body in 2010, who takes a rather clever detour to an area that would otherwise be unexpected, would omit the elementary precaution of turning off his mobile phone. Especially this one, who seems to have been plotting pretty cleverly.
I'm not sure why you are omitting the option that he drove through Tyndrum, thought of the Rest and be Thankful, drove on down the A819 to Inveraray, turned left and went along Loch Fyne to it without being caught on camera, turned on his phone and maybe dumped the body then turned round and went back through Inveraray to Lochgilphead. I can't think of any reason why the Inveraray camera would be infallible and from memory, although it's well over 10 years since I was there I'd expect any cameras to be south of the end of the A819.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 04:54 AM   #113
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
This bit raises the same questions as earlier:

"Evidence was also given that offices examining Gilroy’s car found it virtually undrivable, with parts of its undercarriage broken and vegetation lodged amongst it. Both of these factors were reasonably taken to show that the car had been driven on tough offroad terrain.

Assuming that some of this vegetation will have had soil samples clinging to it, were forensic tests of the soil type or types carried out?"

Could it be that the vegetation is common to the conflicting geographical areas, so they were just hedging (no pun intended) their bets?

There was some talk about the soil samples pointing to the Queen Elizabeth Forest, which is in the Trossachs, some way east of all that. Where I work one of the things we do is analyse soil for farmers, and we have an extremely detailed map of the whole of Scotland by exact soil type. That may be what they use for forensic investigation. However, I would think the Queen Elizabeth Forest is too far, and on the wrong side of Loch Lomond. He would have had to have detoured Callander - Drymen to do that, and it's not compatible with losing two hours between Tyndrum and Inveraray. (It's not impossible he detoured in there on the way back to pick up some of the wrong sort of soil, but it seems a bit far-fetched.) I think that's a red herring.

I'd hazard a guess that the vegetation would be broadly similar all round that area, unless he had the bad luck to pick up a specific plant that was rare in one place but common in another. Mainly, though, grass is grass.

There is the alleged 124 miles he's supposed to have driven, but if he'd got to Tyndrum and then detoured all the way to Aberfoyle, there's literally no time for him to have stashed the body anywhere. I think the 124 miles didn't happen, but rather he burned a lot of petrol doing crazy stuff on very steep forest tracks, and maybe getting the car out of somewhere it became stuck.
Old 29th January 2015, 04:57 AM   #114
Rolfe
Adult human female

He might have blagged bags for something other than the body itself, e.g., soiled clothing or materials used to clean the car interior, which he then tossed in a dumpster.

He might also have spent a lot of time scouting a location early in the day but only disposed of the body on the return trip.

It makes you wonder at what point the damage to the car occurred. The police said it was almost undrivable. Was it already in that state when he got to Lochgilphead, I wonder? I also wonder, if it was, could that account for a lot of the extra 2 hours on the way back? If your suspension's shot, you have to slow down.
Old 29th January 2015, 04:57 AM   #115
anglolawyer
Banned

I just wonder, because the circumstantial evidence is really damning, and yet he seemed more intent on hiding the body than on not leaving circumstantial evidence. It's almost as if he was content with an outcome where the cops were saying, we know you bloody did it you bastard, but we can't send you down without a body.

A lot of the articles I've read assume the murder was pre-meditated. They talk about him "luring" her into the basement and so on. I can't see it. It's a ludicrous place to commit a murder when you then have a body to dispose of. It's a miracle he wasn't seen, in Thistle Street. He even had to go back home for his car on a pretext, he hadn't brought it with him in anticipation of needing it.

I think they met in the lobby, started to argue, went to the basement so they could have a serious ding-dong without their colleagues overhearing, then when she revealed that she'd met Mark and had actually spent the previous night with him, Gilroy lost it and throttled her. (One report says a single blow to the head, but how would they know that? The marks on his hands were consistent with someone scratching him while trying to resist being strangled.
I agree. I suspect he just lost it. I wonder if it's true she shared a bed with him a couple of days beforehand.

As to how he expected to get away with it, who knows? He made the best of a bad job. He maybe didn't expect importance to be attached to the cessation of texts or the purchase of air freshener and so on. Keen students of crime like us would know it was hopeless to imagine we could get away with this but the average Joe?
Old 29th January 2015, 05:02 AM   #116
Rolfe
Adult human female

I'm not sure why you are omitting the option that he drove through Tyndrum, thought of the Rest and be Thankful, drove on down the A819 to Inveraray, turned left and went along Loch Fyne to it without being caught on camera, turned on his phone and maybe dumped the body then turned round and went back through Inveraray to Lochgilphead. I can't think of any reason why the Inveraray camera would be infallible and from memory, although it's well over 10 years since I was there I'd expect any cameras to be south of the end of the A819.

That's an excellent point. I'm sure you're right about the location of the camera, and that would also explain why it couldn't say which road he'd taken to arrive in Inveraray. He could have got there when he should have, but turned left and so avoided the camera to make for the head of Loch Fyne. Then on the way back, after the time gap, he went right through the town, past the junction, and was seen on the camera to the south.

I thought it was pushing it for time and distance, but since the missing time is half an hour longer than originally reported, maybe it's a runner?
Old 29th January 2015, 05:11 AM   #117
Rolfe
Adult human female

According to the AA route planner it takes 20 minutes as a straight drive from Inveraray to the Rest and Be Thankful. So you're taking 40 minutes off the 1 hr 50 min time window, before you factor in time to get off-road and find the hiding place, and actually conceal the body. And do all that heavy off-road driving that ate up all that petrol. Since you've only accounted for 30 of your alleged 124 extra miles.

It's not impossible, I suppose, particularly if he made a second visit to conceal the hastily-dumped body on the way back.

Conversely, if you turn back at Tyndrum and go down the side of Loch Lomond, you only lose about 20 minutes in total.

It's also a bit strange to go all the way to Inveraray then sneak up on your goal from behind, when you can actually go to Inveraray via the Rest and Be Thankful with significantly less of a detour.

Last edited by Rolfe; 29th January 2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 29th January 2015, 05:15 AM   #118
Rolfe
Adult human female

I read something about a witness having seen a silver car parked somewhere in the Rest and Be Thankful area that day, and it was believed it was his car. It might not have been, but I'd like to know where and when that sighting was.
Old 29th January 2015, 05:35 AM   #119
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Given the evidence and the analysis here, it doesn't sound like this would be at all likely, but if one were to try and dispose of a body in a hurry, there are numerous roads in Argyll and the Trossachs which skirt the edges of a loch: Awe, Lubnaig and Lomond spring to mind.

Suitably wrapped and weighted of course, as others have mentioned. Stop in a lay-by, at night obviously. Job done.
Old 29th January 2015, 05:44 AM   #120
catsmate
No longer the 1

I think they met in the lobby, started to argue, went to the basement so they could have a serious ding-dong without their colleagues overhearing, then when she revealed that she'd met Mark and had actually spent the previous night with him, Gilroy lost it and throttled her. (One report says a single blow to the head, but how would they know that? The marks on his hands were consistent with someone scratching him while trying to resist being strangled.
It's possible that Gilroy had planned (or at least seriously considered) murder, i.e. he was in a frame of mind inclining him to homicidal violence, and something about the interaction triggered an immediate and, somewhat unintended, impulsive killing.

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Any more details on that? I'd like to read about it.
Leave it with me, I was told about the case a couple of years ago by someone I'd worked with in the US who worked with LEAs there. I'll drop her an email.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors