IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags murder cases , New Zealand cases , Scott Watson

Old 30th June 2020, 06:03 AM   #361
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the hairs turn the case.
Did the cartridge case in Thomas allow him to do a crime where he had no motive no means or opportunity.
Did the infamous Lundy polo shirt explain the supreme court claiming a petrol guzzling car could do 36 mpg?
New Zealand judges are an international disgrace.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 11:36 AM   #362
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It is entirely plausible that Olivia likewise transferred some hairs to a chair at the Lodge and then Watson later sat in the same chair, transferring the hairs to his clothing, and from there transferred them to the blanket on the boat entirely innocently.
I know exactly how that works. My daughter has long, blonde hair and gets ever-bloody-where. I imagine there are blokes in Australia trying to explain how Barbie hair got on their suits.

It does make for a convenient alibi if I ever I want to get a mistress - just make sure she has long, blonde hair.

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
New Zealand judges are an international disgrace.
It's not just NZ.

At least we don't execute the innocent.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:50 AM   #363
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I know exactly how that works. My daughter has long, blonde hair and gets ever-bloody-where. I imagine there are blokes in Australia trying to explain how Barbie hair got on their suits.

It does make for a convenient alibi if I ever I want to get a mistress - just make sure she has long, blonde hair.

It's not just NZ.

At least we don't execute the innocent.
Neither does USA generally.
Cameron Todd Willingham and Larry Swearingen are both innocent and there was one more under question, but their supreme court allowed the executions to go forward without comment or conflating bare faced lies in support. Our supreme court exercises no such caution.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:47 AM   #364
Fixit
Critical Thinker

What heads the list after the hairs?
According to a previous Minister of Justice the case was held together by the hair evidence. The reliable sightings of the ketch with the couple aboard after they were said to be dead rates highly.
Fixit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:55 AM   #365
Fixit
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Even if the hairs were Olivia's, and were actually on the blanket, it still doesn't mean that she was ever on the boat.

I have told his story before and will likely do again at some stage, but I have a female friend and I have previously found her hair in my bed. The doesn't mean that she was ever in my bed, but that case could be made based on the evidence. In reality I spent time at her house and sat in chairs that she had previously sat in. Her hair had transferred to the chair when she was in it, then to my clothing when I was, and I carried it on my clothing to my bed, transferring it when I sat on it.

It is entirely plausible that Olivia likewise transferred some hairs to a chair at the Lodge and then Watson later sat in the same chair, transferring the hairs to his clothing, and from there transferred them to the blanket on the boat entirely innocently.

The case has too many holes in it, his lawyer also screwed up but not putting on a defense. The Judge made a few gaffs too. As a whole the entire thing was a sham and a shambles.
The question is now whether they were Olivia's hairs, a lot different to how they apparently got found in the lab which was the argument for 20 years plus.
Fixit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:13 AM   #366
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Months even, wasn't it?

Regardless of where they were found, the idea was always nonsense, but your average Kiwi hears DNA and thinks it's a holy grail.

Except it's not.
It was a 1 in 28,000 probability DNA match - hardly conclusive, and that range would include Olivia's sister Amelia, who was also at Furneaux Lodge that night.

In fact, it isn't just average Kiwi's who think that. Remember, it was DNA that helped to convict David Dougherty - DNA that actually excluded him, but thanks to a completely incorrect direction to the jury from the stupid, ignorant Judge, he was wrongfully convicted.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:09 AM   #367
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It was a 1 in 28,000 probability DNA match...
That's the bit that was never dealt with properly.

If I had the time to again work out how many pairs of hair DNA were at Furneaux, with 1000 people present, I could give you an exact answer, but I seem to recall it was about 30. The defence needed to call a statistician to blow that crap out of the water.

1 in 28,000 is nothing. People hear DNA and think it's 1 in billions.
Old 31st July 2020, 11:31 AM   #368
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good analysis here of the case, evidence and appeal.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...er-get-justice

More evidence that "Ministry of Justice" is an oxymoron.
Old 31st July 2020, 12:38 PM   #369
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Good analysis here of the case, evidence and appeal.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...er-get-justice

More evidence that "Ministry of Justice" is an oxymoron.
"Sir Graham Panckhurst and others suggest the camera’s flash has made it look this way, and he actually had considerable stubble."

This is just complete and utter BS. If anything, a camera flash will accentuate the appearance of unshaven stubble because it dramatically increases the contrast of the photo. The areas of the face pointing directly at the camera become shiny because of skin reflection, especially if there is sweat present, but anything at an angle to the flash dircetion, such as hairs, cast small shadows that create little black spots and make the stubble more obvious.

Pankhurst has created this fantasy out of whole cloth.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 04:14 PM   #370
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

This is such a disgraceful account it doesn't matter whether Watson is guilty, the judiciary have plumbed unfathomable depths with this garbage recrafting the science of photography to make hirsute a bald face.
Rot in **** Pankhurst.
Old 31st July 2020, 04:18 PM   #371
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Sir Graham Panckhurst and others suggest the camera’s flash has made it look this way, and he actually had considerable stubble."

This is just complete and utter BS.
Yep. I'm pleased they reported that, because it's insane and a deliberate attempt to fit him up. Aside from the point that as a description "unshaven" doesn't mean "didn't shave this morning".

What the hell is wrong with our judges?
Old 1st August 2020, 06:24 AM   #372
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

this simplest explanation of there being no evidence

From Mike White's linked article, "For example, in considering whether there was evidence that Watson cleaned up his yacht after supposedly murdering Ben and Olivia, Panckhurst says, 'the evidence of wiped surfaces free of fingerprints is, save for those of Mr Watson and his sister, sinister.'"

This boggles the mind, even disregarding the next paragraph of the article. If Mr. Watson is innocent, why would there be other fingerprints in his craft?

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 1st August 2020 at 06:25 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 07:32 AM   #373
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

If they'd found the victims' fingerprints, that would be proof he'd done it.

The fact that they didn't find their fingerprints just proves he not only did it, he also tried to cover it up! Surely that's an extra crime that he should be sentenced for!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 08:12 AM   #374
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

The clever partial clean up!
Where the invisible is perfectly divined by the mortal.
Now where is that concept suggested on this forum?

Incorruptible smartass New Zealand, don't get fooled.
Old 1st August 2020, 12:11 PM   #375
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The clever partial clean up!
Like CH, that truly blew me away. It reads as though Watson deliberately removed fingerprints from Ben & Olivia and left the others.

Even Baldrick wouldn't have a plan that cunning.
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:55 AM   #376
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Guy Wallace appears to have killed himself: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...pected-suicide

Interesting quote from his dad:

“He seemed to want to please everyone, whoever he was speaking to. Whenever someone in a suit got to him, he would sort of go with them.”
Old 24th March 2021, 01:38 AM   #377
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Guy Wallace appears to have killed himself: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...pected-suicide

“He seemed to want to please everyone, whoever he was speaking to. Whenever someone in a suit got to him, he would sort of go with them.”
Yeah interesting.
My brother was in court when he testified. Said he was there, my words now, as
King for the day.
Old 1st April 2021, 08:03 PM   #378
Fixit
Critical Thinker

Actually he resisted all efforts post the trial by police to bang any more nails in the coffin, including after he recanted as did the bar maid when she saw the an actual photo of Scott when he wasn't blinking. Think that was the order. Can't remember her name at the moment. It's all fairly irrelevant now because the cat is out of the bag with the science.
Old 21st May 2021, 03:55 AM   #379
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Wow, this is a revelation: Guy Wallace was due to face several charges of underage sexual assault just before he killed himself. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...ted-young-girl

That's got to raise the question of whether Wallace ever took them anywhere other than his own boat.
Old 21st May 2021, 03:53 PM   #380
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, this is a revelation: Guy Wallace was due to face several charges of underage sexual assault just before he killed himself. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...ted-young-girl

That's got to raise the question of whether Wallace ever took them anywhere other than his own boat.
That doesn't work as the boat started with 5 and 3 were left on including Wallace after Smart and Hope disembarked.
I wonder if he would have taken his life without the anticipation of particular focus on his case.

I would argue posthumous identification was unethical.

Last edited by Samson; 21st May 2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 21st May 2021, 04:48 PM   #381
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That doesn't work as the boat started with 5 and 3 were left on including Wallace after Smart and Hope disembarked.
That's right - so long ago I'd forgotten that bit.
Old 22nd May 2021, 01:58 AM   #382
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

That's right - so long ago I'd forgotten that bit.
And my ethical concern?
For relevance would we be named in a parallel case?

I hope the moderators will forebear here because this may be an error by the splendid female adjudicator.

Wallace is probably collateral damage in a case I find impossible to judge.
Maybe Fixit has a view.
Old 22nd May 2021, 03:21 AM   #383
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And my ethical concern?
For relevance would we be named in a parallel case?
The suppression wasn't made to protect him:

Quote:
In granting suppression, Judge Tony Zohrab said Wallace’s high public profile meant that publication of his name risked identifying the alleged victim.
I hope the moderators will forebear here because this may be an error by the splendid female adjudicator.
Nothing to do with the mods here - it's public news, and whether it's an error by the judge or not doesn't matter now, the details are out and the situation can't be retrieved.
Old 29th November 2021, 08:36 PM   #384
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Denial of parole

"The board's chairperson noted his family were also of the belief he had not committed any crime and this reduced the benefit of the support they would offer him on the outside."

"However, Wallace was adamant he dropped Hope and Smart off at a wooden, two-masted ketch - a description supported by another witness on the water taxi - while Watson owned a single-masted steel sloop called Blade at the time." link.

Regarding the second paragraph above, there are commenters here with more knowledge of the case than I have, but for anyone unfamiliar with the case, this might highlight one of the core issues. I suppose that the denial was to be expected.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 29th November 2021 at 08:47 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 01:51 AM   #385
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It's insane.

Wallace killing himself hasn't helped, but Watson has now been in jail for 21 years, 4 years beyond his non-parole period.

All because he won't admit it. If he cried and said he was sorry he'd be a free man.

The justice system in this country is not.
Old 4th December 2021, 12:25 AM   #386
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

He has an appeal pending. Covid will delay and thus deny justice.
Having said that, the timelines into Shakespeare Bay trouble me.
Old 6th December 2021, 10:39 AM   #387
Fixit
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
"The board's chairperson noted his family were also of the belief he had not committed any crime and this reduced the benefit of the support they would offer him on the outside."

"However, Wallace was adamant he dropped Hope and Smart off at a wooden, two-masted ketch - a description supported by another witness on the water taxi - while Watson owned a single-masted steel sloop called Blade at the time." link.

Regarding the second paragraph above, there are commenters here with more knowledge of the case than I have, but for anyone unfamiliar with the case, this might highlight one of the core issues. I suppose that the denial was to be expected.

Chris, I haven't got the full decision yet but it seems the Board has chosen Scott as someone who needs to acknowledge "his" crimes before he can be paroled. There are plenty of other lifers who had not been required to do that, 2 of whom have current appeals due in the Court of Appeal and a third whose case has been accepted for investigation by the new CCRC. Furthermore, it seems he did not have an independent psyche report and got hammered, again, by the Corrections psyche.

I think the decision will be reviewed and should be.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors