IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Serial" podcast , "Undisclosed" podcast , adnan syed , Maryland cases , murder cases

Old 24th May 2015, 09:00 AM   #41
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kwill View Post
This case isn't like that, though. Wilds has of course told a shifting, bogus story about what happened. Syed has told no story, except that he let Wilds use his car that day (as he -- and other students -- had on other days), and that as far as he could recall, it was a routine day.

The only thing that has changed about his story has to do with whether or not he asked the victim for a ride. One friend (still his friend to this day and convinced of his complete innocence, by the way) overheard him ask for a ride. She says it was just before class started that day. She says the victim said, "Sure."

Others say that they heard the victim tell him later in the afternoon that she couldn't do it after all, which he accepted.

He says he didn't ask for a ride.

That's the extent of the shifting story for Syed. Compare to Wilds, who spent many hours over a couple of months with the police and changed detail after detail after detail -- not in reaction to anything Syed was saying, but -- at least some of the time -- in reaction to things the police were telling him.
Don't forget he told Adcock, the police officer who called him on the night of the 13th that he was supposed to get a ride from Hae but that she waited around for him and he was late so she left.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2015, 09:05 AM   #42
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kwill View Post
It was Coach Sye. And he told the detectives about 3 weeks after Syed was arrested that he remembered talking with Syed about fasting in Ramadan during a day in January when it was warm enough for the team to run outdoors. See last few pages of this document.

There were only a couple of days during Ramadan that were above 40; one was on the 12th, when the team had a meet, and the other was on the day the victim went missing.

It's possible, of course, that the coach was thinking of another day, or another student, or that Syed managed to kill the victim and then sneak into track late and have this conversation.

Not an ironclad alibi for 3:30-5:30, then. But this is an adult with no connection to the case, and his memory of the conversation is supported by both the weather and the season of Ramadan.
Keep in mind Ramadan lasts a long time too. That makes the possible timeframe for this memory expand.
I was referring to the testimony of Assistant Coach Russell
Quote:
Page 172 - Assistant track coach Russell indicates that attendance is not recorded
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 11:10 AM   #43
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Looks like from the latest update, the police lied to the witness Asia and lied in court about what she said. . . .oops.
Old 25th May 2015, 11:34 PM   #44
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
No, I am referring to the case of Elizabeth Haysom and Jens Söring.
By the way, there are some who consider Jens Söring to be innocent including an ex attorney general.
Heh. Yeah.

http://www.jenssoering.com/

Söring pitches himself as a man of great spirituality. He's right up there with Jack Unterweger and Michael Peterson in his knack for winning over elite supporters, who think they divine an upright and truthful person. Syed is a piker by comparison.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2015, 01:43 AM   #45
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
Heh. Yeah.

http://www.jenssoering.com/

Söring pitches himself as a man of great spirituality. He's right up there with Jack Unterweger and Michael Peterson in his knack for winning over elite supporters, who think they divine an upright and truthful person. Syed is a piker by comparison.
On the reverse side, there are people who believe the Norfolk Four are guilty which to me is one of the clearest case of innocence.
Old 8th June 2015, 08:28 PM   #46
Desert Fox
Philosopher

In the latest podcast which involves at least one outside medical examiner, the body needs to have been laid with her front downward for at least eight hours before burial. Seems to rule out her being in the trunk before burial where should have had to have been pretzelled and certainly could not have been buried at 7 pm.
Old 10th June 2015, 02:55 PM   #47
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Aarg, this is frustrating. . . .

I did not lay in my trunk but laid a blanket down behind my car. I then laid face down and folded up my legs. I am 5'10" tall. I was basically the width of my car in that manner. It might be possible to put Hae in the back based on this.

She was 134 and 5 ft 6 inches. I am 165 and 5 ft 10 inches. If I can put myself in my own trunk laying flat on my chest, that kind of strikes against the idea that should could not have been in the trunk although destroys the 1900 burial time.
Old 25th June 2015, 04:25 PM   #48
Desert Fox
Philosopher

I thought this item should be brought up. . . .It was a police report which my understanding was presented to the jury. Based on this, even if he is guilty, the conviction needs to be thrown out

http://undisclosed-podcast.com/docs/...%20Culture.pdf
Old 25th June 2015, 07:24 PM   #49
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

I thought this item should be brought up. . . .It was a police report which my understanding was presented to the jury. Based on this, even if he is guilty, the conviction needs to be thrown out

http://undisclosed-podcast.com/docs/...%20Culture.pdf
Not presented to the jury. It was an investigation tool only. Undisclosed as a source is akin to perugiamurderfile as a source for the Knox case.
Old 25th June 2015, 07:29 PM   #50
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

In the latest podcast which involves at least one outside medical examiner, the body needs to have been laid with her front downward for at least eight hours before burial. Seems to rule out her being in the trunk before burial where should have had to have been pretzelled and certainly could not have been buried at 7 pm.
Please read the autopsy report. She was decomposed and even moldy from being outside. It's not like they had this pristine body with perfect demarcations as to where the lividity could be seen. They saw some of it on her upper anterior chest IIRC, but Undisclosed et al are making it seem much more definitive than it really was.
Old 26th June 2015, 01:54 AM   #51
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Please read the autopsy report. She was decomposed and even moldy from being outside. It's not like they had this pristine body with perfect demarcations as to where the lividity could be seen. They saw some of it on her upper anterior chest IIRC, but Undisclosed et al are making it seem much more definitive than it really was.
It appears as if independent medical examiners were willing to state for the record that they though it was definitive enough that Hae was not buried at around 7 pm based on the lividity. Reading the actual autopsy report, it uses the term "prominent lividity."

With regards to the Sentra, my next door neighbor has a Sentra within a couple of years of Hae's. She operates a cleaning service and keeps her supplies in trunk of her car. The trunk is very deep and one could put a body in the trunk torso down and fold the legs.

The evidence seems pretty solid that the timeline, even if Adnan is guilty, is shot.
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:03 AM   #52
Desert Fox
Philosopher

This is extremely interesting
http://www.msnbc.com/shift/watch/the...t-398676035940
Old 3rd August 2015, 04:12 PM   #53
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Really? What's it a link to? Is it something to do with this case?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2015, 04:25 PM   #54
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Discussion of the case with a lot on the cell phone angle. . . .Basically, the cell phone evidence is garbage.
Old 3rd August 2015, 04:40 PM   #55
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Discussion of the case with a lot on the cell phone angle. . . .Basically, the cell phone evidence is garbage.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:15 PM   #56
kwill
Muse

Yeah, Syed's not guilty.

Reasoning: if there were a true story that involved Syed at the burial site, his friend Jay Wilds would have told it.

There's no reason for Wilds to invent all those versions, some with himself on a log smoking, some with himself up the road in a car, some with Syed throwing a coat into the woods, some with a shovel, some with barfing, some with two shovels, some with a shovel and a pick, some with gardening tools, etc.

He's not protecting his own integrity, or his grandma, or his drug-dealing relatives, or his girlfriend. He's trying to describe something that never happened, which is why he sounds like a person telling you about a movie he didn't see.

Combine all that with the way he got to keep tweaking his version of the day so that it matched the cell towers, and you have a person who has not yet told the truth.

Wilds had two taped police interviews and testified at two trials. The list of things he said at every one that could be independently verified by a reliable source is very short.

Wilds had both car and phone from about noon until late in the afternoon.
Wilds and Syed reconnected just after 5 pm.
In every interview and testimony, Wilds has said that he lied in the previous one.

I don't know who killed Hae Lee, but if had happened in any way that's close to any of the versions delivered by Wilds, there would be evidence.
kwill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:10 PM   #57
Desert Fox
Philosopher

It seems pretty solid that Hae was killed soon after school. The idea seems to be that Adnan asked for a ride, murdered her within just a few minutes, and then got Jay to pick him up and get him back to school for track practice.

Seems to be something that a professional assassin would have trouble doing.

The only evidence they have of this is a pathological liar which they claim is backed up by cell phone evidence (which is unreliable)
Old 7th August 2015, 02:03 AM   #58
pipelineaudio
Philosopher

This is a pretty interesting set of podcasts! I am having trouble understanding how or why it was the cops were talking to Jay in the first place
Old 7th August 2015, 02:35 AM   #59
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
This is a pretty interesting set of podcasts! I am having trouble understanding how or why it was the cops were talking to Jay in the first place
They might have had him on a drug change and found out he was friends with Adnan.
Old 7th August 2015, 11:32 AM   #60
pipelineaudio
Philosopher

What was the premise for why the cops were talking to Jen in the first place?
Old 7th August 2015, 11:36 AM   #61
Desert Fox
Philosopher

What was the premise for why the cops were talking to Jen in the first place?
They had phone records of everybody involved. Remember I cannot say in any absolute way but just coming up with a few plausible explanations.
Old 7th August 2015, 03:17 PM   #62
pipelineaudio
Philosopher

I feel like Adnan did it, based on what I've heard, but if I were a juror I sure couldn't vote guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Just having the prosecutor setup the defense attorney for Jay throws the whole damn thing out, among much more weirdness
Old 7th August 2015, 03:50 PM   #63
Desert Fox
Philosopher

I feel like Adnan did it, based on what I've heard, but if I were a juror I sure couldn't vote guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Just having the prosecutor setup the defense attorney for Jay throws the whole damn thing out, among much more weirdness
I have a lot of trouble with the timeline for that. . . . .If Adnan did it, it has no relationship at all with the prosecution sold the jury.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 7th August 2015 at 03:52 PM.
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 05:04 PM   #64
bagels
Master Poster

I have a lot of trouble with the timeline for that. . . . .If Adnan did it, it has no relationship at all with the prosecution sold the jury.
Maybe they lacked the means to reconstruct a perfect timeline given the uncooperative witness. It's not always possible. The general timeline is he killed her sometime after school after tricking her into giving him a ride. He later got Jay to help bury the body and ditch the car. Unless every hour can be perfectly accounted for, there's plenty of time for all that to happen.
bagels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 05:21 PM   #65
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bagels View Post
Maybe they lacked the means to reconstruct a perfect timeline given the uncooperative witness. It's not always possible. The general timeline is he killed her sometime after school after tricking her into giving him a ride. He later got Jay to help bury the body and ditch the car. Unless every hour can be perfectly accounted for, there's plenty of time for all that to happen.
It seems pretty clear that she died or was under somebody's control soon after school. If Hae gave him a ride, he would have had to strangle her and somehow race back to school for track.

Maybe if he was a serial killer or a professional hit man, he could do something like that. The thing is that he was a seventeen year old. Murders by such young people tend to be messy and leave a lot of clues behind.

Jay seems to be too cooperative a witness actually. Other than wanting to keep himself as an accessory only, he seems perfectly willing to change and mold him timeline to whatever the cops want him to.

I don't think Adnan was involved. Maybe he was and I am not as certain of his innocence as I am with Amanda and others. No matter, there is something weird and odd about his case.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 7th August 2015 at 05:23 PM.
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 05:38 PM   #66
bagels
Master Poster

It seems pretty clear that she died or was under somebody's control soon after school. If Hae gave him a ride, he would have had to strangle her and somehow race back to school for track.

Maybe if he was a serial killer or a professional hit man, he could do something like that. The thing is that he was a seventeen year old. Murders by such young people tend to be messy and leave a lot of clues behind.

Jay seems to be too cooperative a witness actually. Other than wanting to keep himself as an accessory only, he seems perfectly willing to change and mold him timeline to whatever the cops want him to.

I don't think Adnan was involved. Maybe he was and I am not as certain of his innocence as I am with Amanda and others. No matter, there is something weird and odd about his case.
Is there actual proof he was at track? I thought the whole theme of the podcast was how important an hour could be and remembering where you were and if your friends remembered where you were.
bagels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 05:55 PM   #67
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Is there actual proof he was at track? I thought the whole theme of the podcast was how important an hour could be and remembering where you were and if your friends remembered where you were.
I think the evidence is good that he was at track that day but not 100%.
Old 7th August 2015, 07:57 PM   #68
bagels
Master Poster

Well it just seems a fair assessment to me to say Adnan probably did it/was involved, but the evidence might not be enough. You seem to think his involvement is completely improbable? I'm not seeing that.

I admit I haven't studied this case extensively, so I don't really have a firm opinion, but the alleged crime seems pretty straight forward to me and makes sense. Adnan was dumped by his girlfriend for an older/cooler boy, history has shown this is plenty of motive for a man to kill a woman. On the day she disappeared he asked her for a ride after school. He didn't have his car with him because he had mysteriously lent both it and his phone to his friend Jay for an implausible reason. After school Hae is never seen alive again despite her only known plans being possibly giving Adnan a ride and then picking up her cousin (which she never does). Adnan can't give a very good account of his whereabouts. It's known he was at some point with Jay, and Jay absolutely confirms his own involvement in the murder by knowing the hidden location of Hae's car. Jay's story that Adan killed her then came to him for help hiding the body seems believable and makes sense.

The case does seem a bit flaky given the lack of forensic evidence and Jay's total unreliability (aside from knowing the location of the car) so I can see why it's regarded as weak. But I don't see anything striking about the claim that Adnan probably did it. I mean, it's hardly satanic sex rituals between strangers in Italy :P
Old 7th August 2015, 09:04 PM   #69
Desert Fox
Philosopher

If Jay led the police to the car or if Jay led the car to the police seems unclear. In addition, the location of the car seems to be in a location that is Jay's stomping ground.

I used to own an orange 1987 Ford Mustang. One day I found a note on the car from a previous owner asking if they might be able to buy it from me. Strange things do happen.

The reason he appears to have gotten his cell phone is to be in communication with a new girlfriend without his family knowing. Does not appear that he was too bothered about it. Other than Jay, there seems to be no indications of rage or anger towards Hae over having a new boyfriend.

There is a lot of different issues with him getting a ride from Hae with other students having heard later on that she told him that she could not due to having some other commitment. From what I am to understand, nobody saw Adnan in Hae's car and I am pretty sure that some have said that she was the only one in the car.

One item I need to look up is where the daycare is in relation to the location of Wood Lawn and the Best Buys. I would like to see if the location makes any sense in relation to the trip between the two locations.

Of note, there were a huge numbers of homicides in Baltimore in 1999, almost one per day. The police interest, and this seems to come from multiple sources, seems to have been in closing cases.
Old 7th August 2015, 10:41 PM   #70
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I just read this list. Too many simple questions are posed for Adnan Syed to have any show of proving he is innocent. The "I will kill" is a most unusual thing to write.
Maybe someone can answer them point by point, but it would seem an impossible challenge.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

Ann Brocklehurst writes:

So, for the record, let me tell you why I’m convinced Adnan is guilty.

Adnan should remember what happened on that very un-normal day. He was called by police the same day his ex-girlfriend disappeared. He was interviewed by police two weeks later. The whole “I can’t remember that normal day six weeks ago” schtick is total BS. And Koenig was a sucker for believing it. There is no good explanation for why Adnan has no alibi. He was aware the day Hae went missing something was seriously wrong.
Jay has no reason for framing Adnan nor does anyone else let alone Roy Sharonnie Davis or Ronald Lee Moore, who, between the two of them, probably have the combined IQ of a cactus plant.
Adnan has no explanation whatsoever as to how he landed in this position. Yes, I know Deirdre Enright said innocent people often can’t help their case. But she was talking about not being able to find a body in a field as opposed to having no idea whatsoever why your buddy Jay might want to frame you for murder. People who work with killers will also tell you that this vaguey-vague “someone must have framed me but I don’t know why” explanation is a pretty common one among the guilty.
Adnan has consistently lied about how people reacted to Hae’s disppearance, claiming it was no big deal, which is completely implausible. Hae had a new a boyfriend, a class trip to France booked, and university to look forward to. There was no way she’d take off to California in the middle of her senior year.
Adnan’s good friend Imran appears to have been actively trying to discourage Hae’s California friends from looking for her a week after her disappearance, when, according to Adnan, no one was concerned she was gone.
Adnan had no reason for lending Jay his car. The idea that he was concerned about Jay getting a birthday present for Stephanie is laughable.
Adnan lied about asking Hae for a ride, contradicting the testimony of Krista and Debbie.
Adnan wrote “I’m going to kill” on a break-up note from Hae telling him to back off. (If you think that’s no biggie, let me know how you feel about it when you see your daughters writing a note like that and then discover the recipient’s decorated it with “I’m going to kill.”)
Adnan exhibited other stalkery behaviour towards Hae. She hid from him at school and wrote in her diary that he was possessive.
Adnan never tried to contact Hae after January 13th even though he called her three times the night before.
There is no explanation for the Nisha call other than an improbable butt dial.
Adnan’s cell phone records place him in Leakin Park burying Hae’s body.

Last edited by Samson; 7th August 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 11:07 PM   #71
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Going to answer the ones I can come up with answers pretty quickly.

1. There have been shows on TV where they have staged serious incidents. When asked questions about it later on, they often could not remember important details. Edit: This was on the program Unsolved History.
2. Nobody knows who killed the boys with the West Memphis Three yet did not stop them from being framed by another kid at the juvenile facility. Another case is where the guy who framed James Barton also appears to have had no reason. Jay did have pending drug charges that later faded away. Edit: If it was one of those two others who killed Hae, I do not think Jay was involved, just he was convinced by the cops to help him.
3. Adnan had loaned Jay his car in the past and so had other students at the school.
4. As far as I know, Adnan did not lie about asking Hae for a ride. He seems to actually though have been asking a ride to the track, something which he had in the past, not a ride home.
5. I am not real sure on the letter. It was from November after all and there seems to be a lot of confusion involving it. There is also the usual teenage drama involved.
6. For all the "stalking" talked about in the diary, there seems to be more innuendo than any real references. The hiding in school seems to not be anything as serious as what some people suggest.
7. Don also never tried to call Hae again.
8. You have never butt dialed a phone? That really seems to be the best explanation.
9. the whole area involved in all of these calls is just a few square miles. Sometimes cell phones will hit other towers. The cops did not do a comprehensive cell phone record and it was done eight or nine months after January. The networks at that time were under constant upgrades.
In addition, the best evidence we have based on livity is that the body was buried much later than the time he could have been in the park and Jay later (last year) changed the time frame himself to midnight.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 7th August 2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 7th August 2015, 11:27 PM   #72
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Going to answer the ones I can come up with answers pretty quickly.

1. There have been shows on TV where they have staged serious incidents. When asked questions about it later on, they often could not remember important details.
2. Nobody knows who killed the boys with the West Memphis Three yet did not stop them from being framed by another kid at the juvenile facility. Another case is where the guy who framed James Barton also appears to have had no reason. Jay did have pending drug charges that later faded away.
3. Adnan had loaned Jay his car in the past and so had other students at the school.
4. As far as I know, Adnan did not lie about asking Hae for a ride. He seems to actually though have been asking a ride to the track, something which he had in the past, not a ride home.
5. I am not real sure on the letter. It was from November after all and there seems to be a lot of confusion involving it. There is also the usual teenage drama involved.
6. For all the "stalking" talked about in the diary, there seems to be more innuendo than any real references. The hiding in school seems to not be anything as serious as what some people suggest.
7. Don also never tried to call Hae again.
8. You have never butt dialed a phone? That really seems to be the best explanation.
9. the whole area involved in all of these calls is just a few square miles. Sometimes cell phones will hit other towers. The cops did not do a comprehensive cell phone record and it was done eight or nine months after January. The networks at that time were under constant upgrades.
In addition, the best evidence we have based on livity is that the body was buried much later than the time he could have been in the park and Jay later (last year) changed the time frame himself to midnight.
Thanks, I don't know the case, but usually Charlie Wilkes is hard to dismiss.
I see Chris Halkides is pro doubt, so I will leave it to others for meantime.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2015, 11:45 PM   #73
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Thanks, I don't know the case, but usually Charlie Wilkes is hard to dismiss.
I see Chris Halkides is pro doubt, so I will leave it to others for meantime.
With Amanda and Raff, I am 99% on the innocent camp, Norfolk Four 99% of innocence, West Memphis III 90% to 95% innocence, Adnan 70% to 80% innocence.

If he was seen in her car leaving school, that would change my opinion greatly. Nobody also appears to have seen him driving around in her car. Now, human memory is just too bad to trust somebody coming forward now.

I did make some minor edits to what I wrote originally.
Old 8th August 2015, 02:34 AM   #74
bagels
Master Poster

If Jay led the police to the car or if Jay led the car to the police seems unclear. In addition, the location of the car seems to be in a location that is Jay's stomping ground.
I find the idea that he just randomly stumbled onto his friend's ex-girlfriends car to be pretty unbelievable. From what I gather it was semi hidden in a grass field and obviously wasn't spotted by anyone else or the police who were actively looking for it. Hae was only loosely acquainted with him, her car was a totally nondescript grey Japanese compact. To me it's outrageous to suggest Jay knew where the car was for any other reason than he put it there, or was told it was there by the person who put it there. I mean anything is possible, but this isn't "beyond reasonable doubt" possible.

This constrains the crime scenario. Jay must be involved. The problem is it's very difficult to imagine him being involved without Adnan. He would have had to show up at the school at closing time and find Hae to follow her, then get her to pull over somewhere, then kill her for absolutely no reason, etc. Then hope that Adnan wont bother to show up at track practice or have any sort of alibi. It just doesn't really work for me.
Old 8th August 2015, 04:50 AM   #75
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Well, somebody randomly stumbled on a car they previously owned after I bought it. If that one item went away, are any of the other items unable to be explained away relatively easily? To be honest, dumb luck happens sometimes.

With regards to the location, there were other cars parked next to it. Could not have been that hidden. Do not forget that it is pretty clear that he had connections on the street - I would not know who to get weed from and certainly there could have been some rumors. It also appears as if he did not lead them to the car right way and his first location was wrong

What I was really suggesting is that the police already knew where the car was and it may be supported by this video. Police will often inadvertently feed the suspect such details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUhKIuawTQ

Edit: Should also note that the car location was within a mile or two of where the body was found (By using a map and comping the scale and calculating based on a right triangle, I get around 8200 feet as the crow flies). Simple street by street searching and diligence by the police would find the car eventually. Also, it is pretty close to Patrick's house. Something like a half mile to a mile (By doing the same thing, I get around 5100 feet direct distance.) If he hung around at Patrick's, not quite so strange.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 8th August 2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 9th August 2015, 07:56 PM   #76
Desert Fox
Philosopher

I want to add that Serial Dynastic takes on every one of Ann Brocklehurst's points and pretty much demolishes them. Might be worth a listen for you.
Edit: His answers are not the same as mine but we have different takes. I don't think that Jay was ultimately involved while he does.
Listening to her actually argue her points, I am not real impressed by them.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 9th August 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 9th August 2015, 08:16 PM   #77
bagels
Master Poster

Didn't Jay tell his girlfriend, Jen or something, that he was involved in the murder before anyone even knew it was a murder?
Old 9th August 2015, 08:20 PM   #78
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Didn't Jay tell his girlfriend, Jen or something, that he was involved in the murder before anyone even knew it was a murder?
Err, I would argue that one cannot trust when something happened or how it happened. Jay may have very well approached Jen, "The cops are going to sell me down the river for these drug charges unless I frame Adnan. I need your help."

Jay may be involved but my feel is that he is just unscrupulous and sees nothing wrong with selling out a friend to avoid jail.

I still think Serial Dynasty is worth a listen
http://serialdynasty.podomatic.com/e...10_21_18-07_00

Last edited by Desert Fox; 9th August 2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 9th August 2015, 09:37 PM   #79
bagels
Master Poster

It seems the crux of establishing Jay as a flaky witness vs a complete liar totally coerced by the police, comes down to did he know the location of the car before the police or not. So I've been looking more into this.

This document implies the police were still looking for the car on the 27th. It contradicts the news report posted earlier, but while they might purposely misdirect the public I doubt they would waste the transit authorities time asking for help looking for a car they already knew the location of, I can think of no reason for that.

That same evening of the 27th (into the 28th) is when they first interview Jay, here's the transcript. Jay says the car is on Edmondson Avenue four blocks down from where he met Adnan and he can lead them to it.

This still looks to me more like Jay knew the location of the car before the police.
Old 10th August 2015, 04:02 AM   #80
Desert Fox
Philosopher

It seems the crux of establishing Jay as a flaky witness vs a complete liar totally coerced by the police, comes down to did he know the location of the car before the police or not. So I've been looking more into this.

This document implies the police were still looking for the car on the 27th. It contradicts the news report posted earlier, but while they might purposely misdirect the public I doubt they would waste the transit authorities time asking for help looking for a car they already knew the location of, I can think of no reason for that.

That same evening of the 27th (into the 28th) is when they first interview Jay, here's the transcript. Jay says the car is on Edmondson Avenue four blocks down from where he met Adnan and he can lead them to it.

This still looks to me more like Jay knew the location of the car before the police.
I think it might be best if I post the map I found of the locations
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...U.kQFffQE6h2vk

From what I understand, Jay admitted on the stand during cross examination that the location of Hae's car would be in the midst of his normal routine and that he would recognize her car. If that is correct, it indicates that it would not be any special knowledge.

Do not forget that most speculation was that he at least sold some drugs, that often means a certain amount of cruising of the streets. In addition, on the map, you can see that Patrick's house (one of his drug sources) is nearby. Jen's house is also in that same basic vicinity. I think if we read the clues, that is an area he kind of hung around a lot.

You could very well be right and Jay is involved in Hae's murder. One long suggested idea was that Hae was being a busybody, caught Jay having sex with Jen (Jay was suppose to be dating Stephenie - a friend of both Hae and Adnan), and there was a confrontation. I don't know if that is what occurred but it is at least plausible.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 10th August 2015 at 04:06 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors