IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia cases , dna evidence , murder cases

Old 22nd December 2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

The Claremont Killer

One of Australia's most famous cold cases, The Claremont Serial Killings, has just had a major breakthrough. Bradley Robert Edwards has been charged with two murders as well as several other offences, and may still be charged with a third murder, the presumed 3rd victim disappeared in 1996 and has never been found.

This case has been being investigated for over 20 years and is the largest and most expensive murder investigation in Australian history.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-2...murder/8144518
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-2...harges/8145066
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-2...illing/8144208
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...4a88e00899e6df

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_serial_murders
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:51 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Looks like sustained, sensational police work. I'm certain they've got their man.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:41 AM   #3
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Looks like sustained, sensational police work. I'm certain they've got their man.
With a state government likely to lose the next election and a police commissioner battling claims that he has been in the job too long, it wouldn't surprise me if the police "added blue metal to the mix".

This should be the trial of the decade if the media gives it more than a few sound bites or one-liners.
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:56 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
With a state government likely to lose the next election and a police commissioner battling claims that he has been in the job too long, it wouldn't surprise me if the police "added blue metal to the mix".
Your opinion of modern Australian police lacks credibility. We are not in the 1980s.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:04 AM   #5
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Your opinion of modern Australian police lacks credibility. We are not in the 1980s.
LOL You think that the police are different today?

Countless Royal Commissions conducted around the country have all found that if the police fear that the case they have against a suspect may not guarantee a guilty verdict then they are not averse to fabricating additional evidence to guarantee the guilty verdict. The police call this "adding blue metal to the mix" (blue metal makes concrete stronger).
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:13 AM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This should be the trial of the decade if the media gives it more than a few sound bites or one-liners.
LOL You think that the police are different today?

Countless Royal Commissions conducted around the country have all found that if the police fear that the case they have against a suspect may not guarantee a guilty verdict then they are not averse to fabricating additional evidence to guarantee the guilty verdict. The police call this "adding blue metal to the mix" (blue metal makes concrete stronger).
You don't know what you are talking about. Not the first time. Give me a recent example of police using that term in a case involving fabricated evidence.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:40 AM   #7
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You don't know what you are talking about. Not the first time. Give me a recent example of police using that term in a case involving fabricated evidence.
If it is your claim that corruption has been eradicated from police forces around the country then the burden of proof is upon you.
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:47 AM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

If it is your claim that corruption has been eradicated from police forces around the country then the burden of proof is upon you.
Hilarious. You raised "added blue metal to the mix". You can't support it. Well done brave Sir Robin.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:51 AM   #9
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Hilarious. You raised "added blue metal to the mix". You can't support it. Well done brave Sir Robin.
So you can't prove that corruption has been eradicated?
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:56 AM   #10
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

So you can't prove that corruption has been eradicated?
Where did I claim that? Keep on running away or support your "blue metal" claim. You can't.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:01 AM   #11
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Where did I claim that? Keep on running away or support your "blue metal" claim. You can't.
You have completely backed way from your "We are not in the 1980s" argument.
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:04 AM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

More hilarity. "Blue metal". Put up, or.....

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:29 AM   #13
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

More hilarity. "Blue metal". Put up, or.....
I don't need to. You acknowledged that it was happening in the 1980s (or that remark is completely meaningless).
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:44 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I don't need to. You acknowledged that it was happening in the 1980s (or that remark is completely meaningless).
Your posts are here for everyone to read. "Blue metal". I haven't had a laugh like this for ages.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:51 AM   #15
Elaedith
Master Poster

I was a postgraduate student at the University of Western Australia at the time of these murders and lived close the scene. If I was working late and missed the last bus I had to walk home at night through at area close to where the disappearances took place.

One of the strangest encounters I had with the police was when I was rushing to my bus stop to catch the last bus. A police car pulled up beside me and started asking questions about where I was going. At first I thought they were concerned about the fact that I was walking close to a region where young women had disappeared and were planning to warn me and perhaps even offer me a ride. But it turned out that they were actually questioning me because I looked suspicious due to 'wearing dark clothes, walking quickly and carrying a large bag'. After a lecture about wasting their time due to this outrageous behaviour, I did miss the bus and had to walk home.

It was also 'common knowledge' at the time that the police knew who did but couldn't get enough evidence to arrest the person. I remember friends telling me who it was and where he lived, and that he couldn't go anywhere without being followed. It turned out this original suspect was innocent.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:30 PM   #16
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Stolen kimono a clue

It is reported that DNA from a stolen kimono that was left at the scene of an attempted rape 28 years ago matched that recovered from the body of Ciara Glennon. This lead to the arrest of Bradley Robert Edwards who's DNA matched both samples.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/silk-...-ng-b88337818z
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:53 PM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I wonder what he has done in the last 20 years since then? Has he lived without breaking the law? If so what is the point in spending heaps of $ in prosecuting him? Finding out the facts can be done without prosecuting him and would reveal far more. Like where that missing third person is. It is in his interest for him to deny all knowledge of that third person. Is it to deter others? Most crimes that are solved are solved within a few years. It is rare for one to be solved after so many years.

There is also the possibility that this person is not guilty of anything. If so the trial would be a massive waste of money. Or maybe the evidence is not strong. I would not trust any witnesses to tell the truth. Forensic evidence can be faulty. So not much is left. The links in the OP give no clue as to what evidence police have.

I also wonder why the guilty person stopped committing those crimes?
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:58 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"We are not in the 1980s" is supposed to equal a claim, "corruption has been eradicated," and if one meant anything else the "we are not in the 80s" is meaningless?

That's an interesting but illogical train of thought. Clearly you prefer tackling straw men.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd December 2016 at 10:59 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:03 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
I was a postgraduate student at the University of Western Australia at the time of these murders and lived close the scene. If I was working late and missed the last bus I had to walk home at night through at area close to where the disappearances took place.

One of the strangest encounters I had with the police was when I was rushing to my bus stop to catch the last bus. A police car pulled up beside me and started asking questions about where I was going. At first I thought they were concerned about the fact that I was walking close to a region where young women had disappeared and were planning to warn me and perhaps even offer me a ride. But it turned out that they were actually questioning me because I looked suspicious due to 'wearing dark clothes, walking quickly and carrying a large bag'. After a lecture about wasting their time due to this outrageous behaviour, I did miss the bus and had to walk home.

It was also 'common knowledge' at the time that the police knew who did but couldn't get enough evidence to arrest the person. I remember friends telling me who it was and where he lived, and that he couldn't go anywhere without being followed. It turned out this original suspect was innocent.
This is a fascinating account. It sucks they weren't interested in your safety. More than once I've had cops interested in my safety because I was in a bad place at a bad time. I'm sorry to hear that didn't happen in your case.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:03 PM   #20
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's an interesting but illogical train of thought.
Rather than put up an irony meter, I will ask you what the context of the 80s remark was.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:05 PM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Rather than put up an irony meter, I will ask you what the context of the 80s remark was.
Ask lionking, something you didn't do. It was his post. My comment was, your post reflects serious tunnel vision.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:12 PM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I wonder what he has done in the last 20 years since then? Has he lived without breaking the law? If so what is the point in spending heaps of $ in prosecuting him? Finding out the facts can be done without prosecuting him and would reveal far more. Like where that missing third person is. It is in his interest for him to deny all knowledge of that third person. Is it to deter others? Most crimes that are solved are solved within a few years. It is rare for one to be solved after so many years.

There is also the possibility that this person is not guilty of anything. If so the trial would be a massive waste of money. Or maybe the evidence is not strong. I would not trust any witnesses to tell the truth. Forensic evidence can be faulty. So not much is left. The links in the OP give no clue as to what evidence police have.

What a pile of steaming nonsense. He killed three people, but if he has been clean since then all is fine?

Despite psion10's conspiracy theory of police malfeasance, charging someone with murder is not an act taken lightly in Australia. I think they have their man. And his 20 years of not littering will count for absolutely nothing.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:12 PM   #23
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

All reasonable points but locally, the murders of these three women have never been far from the front page over the last 20 years or so. There is a strong public interest in the case.

An arrest and conviction would be quite the fillip for the police and the police commissioner. (No doubt, Colin Barnett is hoping that the good will from this arrest will extend to his government).

ETA There is no statute of limitations on murder.

Last edited by psionl0; 23rd December 2016 at 11:15 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:14 PM   #24
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

My comment was, your post reflects serious tunnel vision.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:16 PM   #25
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You know well enough. In the 80s and earlier decades police corruption in Australia (particularly NSW) was rife. It isn't now and there are a lot of reasons for it. But this is all off-topic.

There is absolutely no reason to imagine police in this situation have acted inappropriately.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:17 PM   #26
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

In the 80s and earlier decades police corruption in Australia (particularly NSW) was rife. It isn't now and there are a lot of reasons for it.
That's what I thought you were saying.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:27 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Typical straw man, claiming a statement that corruption has much improved since the 80s equates to, "corruption has been eradicated."
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:34 PM   #28
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Typical straw man, claiming a statement that corruption has much improved since the 80s equates to, "corruption has been eradicated."
So, substitute "much reduced" for "eradicated". It doesn't change much.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:35 PM   #29
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

And yet you claim I have said that police corruption has been eradicated. Your posts in this thread are for all to see. A withdrawal would be nice. But won't happen.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:37 PM   #30
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

If you want to start a thread about the reduction (or otherwise) of police corruption in Australia, knock yourself out. Keep it out of this thread.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:37 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The hell it doesn't!
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:42 PM   #32
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If you want to start a thread about the reduction (or otherwise) of police corruption in Australia, knock yourself out.
I don't.
Old 24th December 2016, 01:39 AM   #33
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

What a pile of steaming nonsense. He killed three people, but if he has been clean since then all is fine?

Despite psion10's conspiracy theory of police malfeasance, charging someone with murder is not an act taken lightly in Australia. I think they have their man. And his 20 years of not littering will count for absolutely nothing.
You call what I have said steaming nonsense, yet you have not made any attempt to refute my post.

All reasonable points but locally, the murders of these three women have never been far from the front page over the last 20 years or so. There is a strong public interest in the case.

An arrest and conviction would be quite the fillip for the police and the police commissioner. (No doubt, Colin Barnett is hoping that the good will from this arrest will extend to his government).

ETA There is no statute of limitations on murder.
He should be prosecuted because of public interest? I think that is a rather weak point. I agree with the ETA.

So my question stands, what is to gain from the prosecution?
Old 24th December 2016, 02:37 AM   #34
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You call what I have said steaming nonsense, yet you have not made any attempt to refute my post.
What's to refute? Your ridiculous opinion that someone shouldn't be prosecuted for a triple murder because 20 "innocent" years have elapsed?

Some things, like global warming is a hoax and evolution is a myth don't deserve refutation. Just like your opinion of the fate of this accused murderer.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th December 2016, 02:39 AM   #35
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You mean apart from a murderer facing justice?

Seriously, go back and review the logic of your posts in this thread.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th December 2016, 02:53 AM   #36
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

He should be prosecuted because of public interest? I think that is a rather weak point.
Perhaps but that is not a reason to stop pursuing a murderer and doling out parking tickets instead.

I agree with the ETA.

You can't have it both ways. Sending a message that you can get away with murder if enough time elapses is a bad thing.
Old 24th December 2016, 03:26 AM   #37
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I think in discussion of this specific case (and lets not run this off topic) the burden on proof is you.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 03:44 AM   #38
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Allegedly. Let's remember he hasn't been tried yet so we don't know what all the evidence the police have is.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 04:11 AM   #39
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

What's to refute? Your ridiculous opinion that someone shouldn't be prosecuted for a triple murder because 20 "innocent" years have elapsed?

Some things, like global warming is a hoax and evolution is a myth don't deserve refutation. Just like your opinion of the fate of this accused murderer.
Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say that we should not prosecute him, I was asking why are we doing this. That is a completely separate question. So far no good answer has come. You just bring up irrelevancies. Yet you call the question ridiculous. LOL.
Old 24th December 2016, 04:15 AM   #40
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say that we should not prosecute him, I was asking why are we doing this. That is a completely separate question. So far no good answer has come. You just bring up irrelevancies. Yet you call the question ridiculous. LOL.
No it's not

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors