IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brendan Dassey , murder cases , Steven Avery , Teresa Halbach

Old 12th November 2020, 08:10 PM   #521
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

negative result in the test for blood

Originally Posted by JTF View Post
2) A portion of that garage lit up like a christmas tree when sprayed with Luminol.
Luminol is only a presumptive test, and one that gives a wider range of false positives than other presumptive tests, such as the Kastle-Meyer test. The Kastle-Meyer test gives false positives in the presence of substances that catalyze the same reaction as a peroxidase. Luminol reacts in the presence of catalysts but also in the presence of oxidants. A positive result from a presumptive test indicates the possibility that a substance is present. A positive result is a reason to move on to a confirmatory test. This is (almost literally) Forensic Chemistry 101. McHrozni mentioned some of these problems in the first thread, in comment #3553. Academic references available upon request.

Mr. Ertl agreed under cross examination that the reaction was faint. The claim that it lit up like a Christmas tree is, putting it charitably, an exaggeration, perhaps originating with Mr. Kratz's closing remarks. From what I can gather Mr. Ertl also acknowledged that he tested for blood and that the result was negative. A quick perusal of the trial testimony leaves me with the impression that Mr. Ertl used the phenolphthalein test (the Kastle-Meyer) test. This test is capable of detecting blood that has been diluted by a factor of 1000 or more, although it is still only a presumptive test. Only a positive result from a confirmatory test is conclusive evidence for the presence of blood.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 12th November 2020 at 08:27 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 08:27 PM   #522
JTF
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Luminol is only a presumptive test, and one that gives a wider range of false positives than other presumptive tests, such as the Kastle-Meyer test. The Kastle-Meyer test gives false positives in the presence of substances that catalyze the same reaction as a peroxidase. Luminol reacts in the presence of catalysts but also in the presence of oxidants. A positive result from a presumptive test indicates the possibility that a substance is present. A positive result is a reason to move on to a confirmatory test. This is (almost literally) Forensic Chemistry 101. McHrozni mentioned some of these problems in the first thread, in comment #3553. Academic references available upon request.

Mr. Ertl agreed under cross examination that the reaction was faint. The claim that it lit up like a Christmas tree is, putting it charitably, an exaggeration, perhaps originating with Mr. Kratz's closing remarks. From what I can gather Mr. Ertl also acknowledged that he tested for blood and that the result was negative. A quick perusal of the trial testimony leaves me with the impression that Mr. Ertl used the phenolphthalein test (the Kastle-Meyer) test. This test is capable of detecting blood that has been diluted by a factor of 1000 or more, although it is still only a presumptive test.
My reference to the Luminol test is in regards to the photographs taken after the chemical was sprayed on the garage floor. If memory serves, 1 of those photographs was included in MAM. It's important to note that Dassey told his mother that he helped his uncle clean the garage and that bleach stains were clearly evident in photographs taken of Dassey's jeans.

Last edited by JTF; 12th November 2020 at 08:34 PM.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 09:08 PM   #523
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

When was the luminol applied

My reference to the Luminol test is in regards to the photographs taken after the chemical was sprayed on the garage floor. If memory serves, 1 of those photographs was included in MAM. It's important to note that Dassey told his mother that he helped his uncle clean the garage and that bleach stains were clearly evident in photographs taken of Dassey's jeans.
What was the date that the luminol was applied?*

As I have noted elsewhere, Dassey's jeans should be examined under a microscope. This can differentiate between bleach stains and discoloration due to abrasion. There is a good pair of photographs that illustrate this point in a book coauthored by Jane Taupin.
EDT
*I believe that it was on 6 November. If so, then it is quite unlikely that bleach was responsible for the luminol reaction. Bleach loses its ability to react with luminol in about eight hours (PMID: 15966054; DOI: 10.1002/bio.865).

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 12th November 2020 at 09:23 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 02:07 PM   #524
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Brendan Dassey’s jeans
Quote:
The jeans are dark blue in colour, with pockets on each of the legs. The legs have a rather large width - quite commonly worn by youngsters in the late 90's and early 00's. On the jeans several white stains can be seen...

Fassbender went to the motel where Brendan and his mother were staying. Fassbender inquired about the jeans and Brendan said he had worn a pair of jeans on the 31st of October while cleaning "dark red stains" from his uncle's garage and had bleach stains on them...

Supporters of Avery and Dassey claim that if bleach came on the jeans, then there should have been blood on it as well, if that is what Avery and Dassey were cleaning that night. The fact that the jeans came back negative for the presence of blood is evidence, according to Avery & Dassey supporters, that no blood was cleaned that night and Avery & Dassey were framed.

On the other hand, if they were cleaning something other than blood, another red fluid, then shouldn't that, according to this logic, be on the jeans instead? At trial, Brendan Dassey explained he made sure he did not come in any contact with the red fluid, which is probably why his jeans were clear of red stains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dassey_Exhibit_054.jpg (65.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th November 2020, 08:14 PM   #525
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Repeat after me: luminol is a presumptive test, luminol...

Brendan's faulty interrogation compromised his memory IMO. I take his subsequent statements, whether exculpatory or inculpatory, with generous grains of salt. For the sake of argument let us accept that there are bleach stains on his jeans. They cannot be dated by any means known to me. There are multiple explanations for such stains; they are not probative.

What I would like to know is what the pro-guilt commenters think caused the luminol-positive area to react, and why?
Old 16th November 2020, 05:08 PM   #526
JTF
Graduate Poster

I just read the State of Wisconsin's 5/27/20 response to Zellner's special brand of hyperbole. She is seeking an evidentiary hearing to present her unique mixture of supposition, innuendo, speculation, and defense funded expert opinions. I found the State's reply to be concise, thorough, and aggressive in rebutting all of Zellner's flimsy claims. I particularly enjoyed their commentary on page 53 regarding Zellner's attempts to paint Ryan Hillegas as being the "real" murderer.

https://www.workwithkz.com/media/fil...respondent.pdf

Last edited by JTF; 16th November 2020 at 05:11 PM.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 05:56 PM   #527
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Chrismas in Manitowoc

JTF,

What I would like to know is what the pro-guilt commenters such as yourself think caused the luminol-positive area to react, and why? Also are you now willing to admit that "lit up like a Christmas tree" was misleading nonsense? If not, why not?

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 16th November 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:01 PM   #528
rockinkt
Master Poster

I just read the State of Wisconsin's 5/27/20 response to Zellner's special brand of hyperbole. She is seeking an evidentiary hearing to present her unique mixture of supposition, innuendo, speculation, and defense funded expert opinions. I found the State's reply to be concise, thorough, and aggressive in rebutting all of Zellner's flimsy claims. I particularly enjoyed their commentary on page 53 regarding Zellner's attempts to paint Ryan Hillegas as being the "real" murderer.

https://www.workwithkz.com/media/fil...respondent.pdf

"unique mixture of supposition, innuendo, speculation".

Everything one shouldn't find on a board purporting to be a sceptics board yet it is abundant in this thread and others.
No wonder Randi totally and completely rejected anything to do with this board as he saw that it was a haven for specious, illogical, and purely argumentative conjecture.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 08:05 PM   #529
JTF
Graduate Poster

JTF,

What I would like to know is what the pro-guilt commenters such as yourself think caused the luminol-positive area to react, and why? Also are you now willing to admit that "lit up like a Christmas tree" was misleading nonsense? If not, why not?
Again, my reference was to the photographs taken of this particular area of Avery's garage. If you felt mislead, I apologize, but the photographs clearly depict a glowing portion of the garage floor. You nor I have any expertise in determining the reason or reasons for the luminol reaction, yet it appears that even the prosecution/defense experts didn't have a definitive explanation for this reaction. What is not in dispute is that the day after Halbach's disappearance, Avery took the day off from work, he asked his nephew to assist him with cleaning the garage floor with bleach, and that the jeans worn by Dassey contained several bleach stains. A ballistics expert for the prosecution matched a bullet found in Avery's garage to a rifle located on the wall over Avery's bed, Halbach's DNA was found on the bullet, and so on and so forth.

Last edited by JTF; 16th November 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 17th November 2020, 02:56 AM   #530
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
"unique mixture of supposition, innuendo, speculation".

Everything one shouldn't find on a board purporting to be a sceptics board yet it is abundant in this thread and others.
No wonder Randi totally and completely rejected anything to do with this board as he saw that it was a haven for specious, illogical, and purely argumentative conjecture.
I find the board informative, and this thread damned interesting.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 07:04 AM   #531
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

not bleach and not bleach-cleaned blood

Again, my reference was to the photographs taken of this particular area of Avery's garage. If you felt mislead, I apologize, but the photographs clearly depict a glowing portion of the garage floor. You nor I have any expertise in determining the reason or reasons for the luminol reaction, yet it appears that even the prosecution/defense experts didn't have a definitive explanation for this reaction. What is not in dispute is that the day after Halbach's disappearance, Avery took the day off from work, he asked his nephew to assist him with cleaning the garage floor with bleach, and that the jeans worn by Dassey contained several bleach stains. A ballistics expert for the prosecution matched a bullet found in Avery's garage to a rifle located on the wall over Avery's bed, Halbach's DNA was found on the bullet, and so on and so forth.
JTF,

We know that the luminol reaction was not due to bleach (Creamer J.I., et al., Luminescence 2005; 20: 411–413, the citation that was previously given). When known blood on concrete is cleaned with bleach, the phenolphthalein test (the Kastle-Meyer test) is still positive. See Table 1, bottom entry in Gross AM, Harris KA, Kaldun GL. "The effect of luminol on presumptive tests and DNA analysis using the polymerase chain reaction." J Forensic Sci 1999; 44(4):837–840. It is very difficult to see how bleach could destroy iron ions, and first-row transition metal ions often give false positives in presumptive tests for blood. Yet in the Avery garage the K-M test gave a negative result. Therefore, we know that the luminol-positive area was not likely to be bleached-cleaned blood. Please speak for yourself when it comes to expertise. Also, expertise is not the same as detailed knowledge. I agree that the substance in question has not yet been identified.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 17th November 2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 18th November 2020, 04:54 AM   #532
Essexman
Thinker

They were actually cleaning up on the night of murder. Confirmed by Avery himself when Jodi rang him from jail.

Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:38 PM   #533
JTF
Graduate Poster

Avery's Garage

The forensics sweep of Avery's garage and subsequent investigative efforts resulted in the following conclusions.

A portion of the concrete floor reacted to the chemical Luminol. This chemical produces a glowing effect which indicates the presence of human blood, animal blood, some bleaches, and metals. Subsequent testing was unable to produce a definitive source for the Luminol reaction, but analysts were able to determine that the concrete floor had been cleaned with bleach and pain thinner. Brendan Dassey admitted to his mother and investigators that he assisted his uncle in cleaning the garage floor with bleach and paint thinner. Investigators subsequently collected and photographed jeans worn by Dassey.

The front of Dassey's jeans showed signs of apparent bleach splash patterns. Dassey also constructed a drawing of his uncle's garage depicting Halbach, Avery, and Dassey in their locations when Teresa was murdered via gunshot(s) to the head. Two bullet fragments were found in the garage and one of those bullets bores traces of Halbach's DNA. State crime lab firearms expert William Newhouse concluded that this bullet had been fired from a rifle found hanging over Avery’s bed. Newhouse linked ammunition found in Avery's desk drawers to this bullet fragment.

Last edited by JTF; 18th November 2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 18th November 2020, 06:29 PM   #534
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

The forensics sweep of Avery's garage and subsequent investigative efforts resulted in the following conclusions.

A portion of the concrete floor reacted to the chemical Luminol. This chemical produces a glowing effect which indicates the presence of human blood, animal blood, some bleaches, and metals. Subsequent testing was unable to produce a definitive source for the Luminol reaction, but analysts were able to determine that the concrete floor had been cleaned with bleach and pain thinner. Brendan Dassey admitted to his mother and investigators that he assisted his uncle in cleaning the garage floor with bleach and paint thinner. Investigators subsequently collected and photographed jeans worn by Dassey.

The front of Dassey's jeans showed signs of apparent bleach splash patterns. Dassey also constructed a drawing of his uncle's garage depicting Halbach, Avery, and Dassey in their locations when Teresa was murdered via gunshot(s) to the head. Two bullet fragments were found in the garage and one of those bullets bores traces of Halbach's DNA. State crime lab firearms expert William Newhouse concluded that this bullet had been fired from a rifle found hanging over Avery’s bed. Newhouse linked ammunition found in Avery's desk drawers to this bullet fragment.
JTF,

As I have explained previously, what you posted is highly misleading. The K-M test is more specific (in the statistical sense of the word) than luminol is, yet it is still only a presumptive test. Even a positive result from a KM test would not demand the conclusion that blood were present; that would require a confirmatory test. Yet the garage gave a negative K-M test. It has been known since at least 1999 that the K-M test can detect blood that has been cleaned with bleach. See attached image, which is a portion of Table 1 from the paper by Gross and coworkers that I previously cited. The first three columns refer to the phenolphthalein test and are B, W, and D, respectively. We do not know what the luminol-positive substance is, but we know what it is not.

If you wish to read up on forensic testing for the presence of blood, I suggest:

Forensic Science Reform Protecting the Innocent Elsevier, 2017. ISBN: 978-0-12-802719-6, Edited by Wendy J. Koen and C. Michael Bowers
Chapter 8: Presumptive and Confirmatory Blood Testing, Christopher Halkides and Kim Lott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gross_phenolphthalein_luminol_concret.jpg (35.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 18th November 2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 19th November 2020, 12:46 AM   #535
JTF
Graduate Poster

JTF,

As I have explained previously, what you posted is highly misleading. The K-M test is more specific (in the statistical sense of the word) than luminol is, yet it is still only a presumptive test. Even a positive result from a KM test would not demand the conclusion that blood were present; that would require a confirmatory test. Yet the garage gave a negative K-M test. It has been known since at least 1999 that the K-M test can detect blood that has been cleaned with bleach. See attached image, which is a portion of Table 1 from the paper by Gross and coworkers that I previously cited. The first three columns refer to the phenolphthalein test and are B, W, and D, respectively. We do not know what the luminol-positive substance is, but we know what it is not.

If you wish to read up on forensic testing for the presence of blood, I suggest:

Forensic Science Reform Protecting the Innocent Elsevier, 2017. ISBN: 978-0-12-802719-6, Edited by Wendy J. Koen and C. Michael Bowers
Chapter 8: Presumptive and Confirmatory Blood Testing, Christopher Halkides and Kim Lott.
You certainly have the right to give a hand wave to the talking points in my post, but your mix of pot shots with selective commentary (e.g., Luminol issue only), provides me with ample motivation to put forth the following challenge(s).

1) Please point out why the following statement in my post is "highly misleading."

"Subsequent testing was unable to produce a definitive source for the Luminol reaction, but analysts were able to determine that the concrete floor had been cleaned with bleach and pain thinner."

2) Please point out why the following statement(s) in my post are "highly misleading."

"Brendan Dassey admitted to his mother and investigators that he assisted his uncle in cleaning the garage floor with bleach and paint thinner. Investigators subsequently collected and photographed jeans worn by Dassey. The front of Dassey's jeans showed signs of apparent bleach splash patterns."

3) Please point out why the following statement(s) in my post are "highly misleading."

"Dassey constructed a drawing of his uncle's garage depicting Halbach, Avery, and Dassey in their locations when Teresa was murdered via gunshot(s) to the head. Two bullet fragments were found in the garage and one of those bullets bore traces of Halbach's DNA. State crime lab firearms expert William Newhouse concluded that this bullet had been fired from a rifle found hanging over Avery’s bed. Newhouse linked ammunition found in Avery's desk drawers to this bullet fragment."

Last edited by JTF; 19th November 2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 19th November 2020, 01:30 AM   #536
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

You certainly have the right to give a hand wave to the talking points in my post, but your mix of pot shots with selective commentary (e.g., Luminol issue only), provides me with ample motivation to put forth the following challenge(s).

1) Please point out why the following statement in my post is "highly misleading."

"Subsequent testing was unable to produce a definitive source for the Luminol reaction, but analysts were able to determine that the concrete floor had been cleaned with bleach and pain thinner."

2) Please point out why the following statement(s) in my post are "highly misleading."

"Brendan Dassey admitted to his mother and investigators that he assisted his uncle in cleaning the garage floor with bleach and paint thinner. Investigators subsequently collected and photographed jeans worn by Dassey. The front of Dassey's jeans showed signs of apparent bleach splash patterns."

3) Please point out why the following statement(s) in my post are "highly misleading."

"Dassey constructed a drawing of his uncle's garage depicting Halbach, Avery, and Dassey in their locations when Teresa was murdered via gunshot(s) to the head. Two bullet fragments were found in the garage and one of those bullets bore traces of Halbach's DNA. State crime lab firearms expert William Newhouse concluded that this bullet had been fired from a rifle found hanging over Avery’s bed. Newhouse linked ammunition found in Avery's desk drawers to this bullet fragment."
I am impressed by the idea Brendan watched Teresa being executed.
Can we have the transcript from Weigert and Fassberger.
I am not saying he did not watch the event because there are difficulties I had not understood with the defence case for both Steven and Brendan.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 03:18 PM   #537
JTF
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I am impressed by the idea Brendan watched Teresa being executed.
Can we have the transcript from Weigert and Fassberger.
I am not saying he did not watch the event because there are difficulties I had not understood with the defence case for both Steven and Brendan.
Beginning on page 62 of the following link... https://jenniferjslate.files.wordpre...ipt_3.1.06.pdf

... the issue of Brendan witnessing his uncle murder Teresa in the garage via gunshot(s) to the head is broached.

WIEGERT: All right. I'm just going to come out and ask you. Who shot her in the head?

DASSEY: He did.

FASSBENDER: Then why didn't you tell us that?

DASSEY: Cuz I didn't think of it.

FASSBENDER: Now you remember it? (Brendan nods "yes"). Tell us about that then.

DASSEY: That he shot her with his .22.

WIEGERT: You were there though?

DASSEY: Yeah.
Old 21st November 2020, 01:14 PM   #538
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Beginning on page 62 of the following link... https://jenniferjslate.files.wordpre...ipt_3.1.06.pdf

... the issue of Brendan witnessing his uncle murder Teresa in the garage via gunshot(s) to the head is broached.

WIEGERT: All right. I'm just going to come out and ask you. Who shot her in the head?

DASSEY: He did.

FASSBENDER: Then why didn't you tell us that?

DASSEY: Cuz I didn't think of it.

FASSBENDER: Now you remember it? (Brendan nods "yes"). Tell us about that then.

DASSEY: That he shot her with his .22.

WIEGERT: You were there though?

DASSEY: Yeah.
"Cuz I didn't think of it" is a remarkable oversight for Brendan.
It suggests to me he is still trying to please the cops and get home to the wrestling show .
How could Steve, with a witness, persuade Teresa to be shot? Brendan it seems should have recalled quite a lot of detail once on a roll of disclosure.
Old 21st November 2020, 03:37 PM   #539
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Richard Ofshe

"After watching the Dassey tapes, [Richard] Ofshe believes Dassey was giving a forced confession.

“I see something that almost makes one ashamed to be an American,” Ofshe said. “It’s that bad. I’ve studied the transcripts… they threatened him. They told him there are people who want to charge him and we are your shield from those people. … ‘We are going to help you.’ They tell him repeatedly as long as Steven told you to do this, you didn’t do anything wrong… And then through that they get him to say anything that they want him to say.”"

SNIP

“Why didn’t you tell us that?” the investigator asked.

“Because I couldn’t think of it,” he responded.

[Laura] Nirider said, that “Any fair reading of that sequence is that Brendan is guessing. He’s guessing in an attempt to placate his interrogators.”
ABC.

Richard Ofshe is associated with the Marty Tankleff and Norfolk Four cases of false confession.
Old 21st November 2020, 04:05 PM   #540
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

If Avery is innocent then this damning evidence needs to be handwaved away explained, and there is only one improbable logical explanation - the cops framed him.

That also means his big cleanup in the garage, large bonfire in the burn pit (complete with human remains), and having a meeting with Teresa Halbach earlier are all mere coincidences that the cops took advantage of. Of course they also had the remarkable luck to find her dead body and vehicle in locations that made it easy to frame him - or did they plan it all out ahead and actually caused these 'random' events to coincide?

How did the cops manage to get Teresa's hacked up body into the burn pit without Steven noticing, and how did they make sure he would set fire to it? How they fake all the other evidence? And who actually killed her - was it them, someone they paid to do the deed, or an unrelated murder that just happened to sync up with their plans? Perhaps one day the cops will come clean and tell us how they did it...

“When you have eliminated the evidence, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” It's simply elementary.
Old 21st November 2020, 04:19 PM   #541
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

"A Path Forward" on tool mark analysis

SNIP

Regarding point 1, I have demonstrated with citations from the forensic literature that the substance was not bleach, nor was it a bleach-cleaned bloodstain. You have been told this repeatedly, and your response is to offer an insult instead of an explanation. And this was after you were called out for exaggerating the strength of the luminol reaction. Can you cite forensic evidence demonstrating that bleach and paint thinner were used? If you cannot, then it isn't worth discussing.

Regarding point three, The National Research Council's 2008 report Ballistic Imaging stated, “A significant amount of research would be needed to scientifically determine the degree to which firearms-related toolmarks are unique or even to quantitatively characterize the probability of uniqueness.”

The 2009 NAS Report “Strengthening Forensic Science: A Path Forward” concluded in part, “Toolmark and firearms analysis suffers from the same limitations discussed above for impression evidence. Because not enough is known about the variabilities among individual tools and guns, we are not able to specify how many points of similarity are necessary for a given level of confidence in the result. Sufficient studies have not been done to understand the reliability and repeatability of the methods.”

In 2011 Paul Giannelli wrote, "In a different passage, the [NAS] report remarked that “[m]uch forensic evidence ‘including, for example, bite marks and firearm and toolmark identifica- tions’ is introduced in criminal trials without any meaningful scientific validation, determination of error rates, or reliability testing to explain the lim- its of the discipline.” (Id. at 107-08.)"

In 2017 Sarah L. Cooper wrote, “However, overall, Strengthening concluded that ‘The scientific knowledge base for tool mark and firearms analysis is fairly limited.’” She went on to say, “The NAS [National Academy of Sciences] commented that ‘[t]his AFTE [association of firearms and tookmark examiners] document, which is the best guidance available for the field of tool mark identification, does not even consider, let alone address questions regarding variability, repeatability, or the number of correlations needed to achieve a given degree of confidence.’”

Thus Mr. Newhouse's claim of uniqueness is unscientific. Maybe someday the pro-guilt commenters will stop offering up rose fertilizer while claiming that it smells like roses.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 21st November 2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:07 AM   #542
Essexman
Thinker

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
If Avery is innocent then this damning evidence needs to be handwaved away explained, and there is only one improbable logical explanation - the cops framed him.

That also means his big cleanup in the garage, large bonfire in the burn pit (complete with human remains), and having a meeting with Teresa Halbach earlier are all mere coincidences that the cops took advantage of. Of course they also had the remarkable luck to find her dead body and vehicle in locations that made it easy to frame him - or did they plan it all out ahead and actually caused these 'random' events to coincide?

How did the cops manage to get Teresa's hacked up body into the burn pit without Steven noticing, and how did they make sure he would set fire to it? How they fake all the other evidence? And who actually killed her - was it them, someone they paid to do the deed, or an unrelated murder that just happened to sync up with their plans? Perhaps one day the cops will come clean and tell us how they did it...

“When you have eliminated the evidence, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” It's simply elementary.
That pretty much sums up the absurdity of Steven Avery not being the killer.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:25 AM   #543
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
That pretty much sums up the absurdity of Steven Avery not being the killer.
Do we have a photograph of the remains of the bonfire as befits even a minor crime?
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:45 AM   #544
Essexman
Thinker

Regarding point three, The National Research Council's 2008 report Ballistic Imaging stated, “A significant amount of research would be needed to scientifically determine the degree to which firearms-related toolmarks are unique or even to quantitatively characterize the probability of uniqueness.”

The 2009 NAS Report “Strengthening Forensic Science: A Path Forward” concluded in part, “Toolmark and firearms analysis suffers from the same limitations discussed above for impression evidence. Because not enough is known about the variabilities among individual tools and guns, we are not able to specify how many points of similarity are necessary for a given level of confidence in the result. Sufficient studies have not been done to understand the reliability and repeatability of the methods.”

In 2011 Paul Giannelli wrote, "In a different passage, the [NAS] report remarked that “[m]uch forensic evidence ‘including, for example, bite marks and firearm and toolmark identifica- tions’ is introduced in criminal trials without any meaningful scientific validation, determination of error rates, or reliability testing to explain the lim- its of the discipline.” (Id. at 107-08.)"

In 2017 Sarah L. Cooper wrote, “However, overall, Strengthening concluded that ‘The scientific knowledge base for tool mark and firearms analysis is fairly limited.’” She went on to say, “The NAS [National Academy of Sciences] commented that ‘[t]his AFTE [association of firearms and tookmark examiners] document, which is the best guidance available for the field of tool mark identification, does not even consider, let alone address questions regarding variability, repeatability, or the number of correlations needed to achieve a given degree of confidence.’”

Thus Mr. Newhouse's claim of uniqueness is unscientific. Maybe someday the pro-guilt commenters will stop offering up rose fertilizer while claiming that it smells like roses.
Newhouse fired the same ammunition from Avery's rifle and compared them to the bullet fragments and shell casings found in Avery's garage.

I doubt any of names you quoted above would disagree with Newhouses findings considering all three markers matched (shell casing, firing pin and rifling marks).

Old 14th February 2021, 04:34 PM   #545
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Here is one of the interviews with Avery between Halbach's disappearance and his arrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtrzOgH2k10

Someone notes in the comments his style is unchanged from interviews after his exoneration previously for the rape.
Old 15th February 2021, 10:34 AM   #546
Essexman
Thinker

Here is one of the interviews with Avery between Halbach's disappearance and his arrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtrzOgH2k10

Someone notes in the comments his style is unchanged from interviews after his exoneration previously for the rape.

How does this refute the victims bones being in his burn pit where he had an 8 hour bonfire the night the victim disappeared, the victims belongings being in his burn barrel where he also had a fire the night the victim disappeared. The murder weapon hanging on the wall over his bed and his nextdoor neighbour admitting they both raped and killed the victim before placing her body in his bonfire?

Last edited by Essexman; 15th February 2021 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typos
Old 15th February 2021, 02:24 PM   #547
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

How does this refute the victims bones being in his burn pit where he had an 8 hour bonfire the night the victim disappeared, the victims belongings being in his burn barrel where he also had a fire the night the victim disappeared. The murder weapon hanging on the wall over his bed and his nextdoor neighbour admitting they both raped and killed the victim before placing her body in his bonfire?
He either did it or was framed, so knowing those fires occurred makes plausible planting the evidence there.
I think you may be one of the few who believe Brendan actually had sex with Halbach.

But it is more the fact he looks pretty candid in those interviews, fixing the interviewer with a steady gaze, and answering the questions with no confusion except where appropriate to his genuine lack of knowledge. The car discovery and so on are described by him in a way that rings true.

Maybe he is good, very very good for an alleged 70 IQ. (I have him several clicks better than that regardless of guilt status).
Old 15th February 2021, 11:37 PM   #548
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

He either did it or was framed, so knowing those fires occurred makes plausible planting the evidence there.
You see, the cops who framed him had it all figured out. First they waited until Avery was cleaning up and about to have a big bonfire, then they pulled out the body they had prepared earlier and slipped it into the burn pit while he wasn't watching. At this point they had already planted the vehicle and smeared some of Steven's blood on it. Then during the 'investigation' they shot a bullet out of his gun and dipped it in some of the victim's DNA that they had kept.

But all that manufactured circumstantial evidence wasn't enough. They needed a false confession to go with it, which is why they brainwashed Dassey into saying that he was involved by cunningly asking him questions about the crime!

Now that we know what happened in this case, it's obvious that no conviction involving the police is safe, since any evidence they present must could be faked. We might as well get rid of jury trials altogether - if the accused professes their innocence that alone is enough doubt!
Old 15th February 2021, 11:42 PM   #549
JTF
Graduate Poster

Worthless

I would bet that Avery's demeanor or "style" was quite different when he ran a woman off the road and put a loaded gun in her face. That demeanor or "style" likely mirrored how he presented to not 1, but 2 women who later came forward to accuse Avery of sexual assault. The key to determining guilt or innocence is to follow the evidence and the evidence in this case points to Avery's guilt. IMO, when making definitive judgements about guilt or innocence, reading body language is a worthless endeavor.

Last edited by JTF; 15th February 2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 16th February 2021, 12:42 AM   #550
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I would bet that Avery's demeanor or "style" was quite different when he ran a woman off the road and put a loaded gun in her face. That demeanor or "style" likely mirrored how he presented to not 1, but 2 women who later came forward to accuse Avery of sexual assault. The key to determining guilt or innocence is to follow the evidence and the evidence in this case points to Avery's guilt. IMO, when making definitive judgements about guilt or innocence, reading body language is a worthless endeavor.
I am a subset of the curious set of human beings.
Steven Avery achieves a high level of equanimity.
Old 16th February 2021, 05:34 AM   #551
Essexman
Thinker

You see, the cops who framed him had it all figured out. First they waited until Avery was cleaning up and about to have a big bonfire, then they pulled out the body they had prepared earlier and slipped it into the burn pit while he wasn't watching. At this point they had already planted the vehicle and smeared some of Steven's blood on it. Then during the 'investigation' they shot a bullet out of his gun and dipped it in some of the victim's DNA that they had kept.

But all that manufactured circumstantial evidence wasn't enough. They needed a false confession to go with it, which is why they brainwashed Dassey into saying that he was involved by cunningly asking him questions about the crime!
Dont forget, the cops also waited for Avery to have a cut finger and get blood on the gear shift of his own car so they could replicate it in Halbachs car. Then they randomly threw some of Halbachs bones in the quarry and Brendan just so happened to tell them that's were Avery hid some of the bones!

This giant frame-up operation all went so smoothly.
Old 16th February 2021, 07:31 AM   #552
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

two books by John Ferak

Students of these cases should read two books by John Ferak, "Failure of Justice" and "Wrecking Crew." The former book covers the Beatrice Six case, and the latter book covers the Steven Avery case. Bobby Dassey emerges a plausible alternative suspect, with possible after-the-fact assistance from Scott Tadych.
Old 13th April 2021, 02:48 PM   #553
xjx388

Surprised this hasn't made the thread yet:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...LE+STAMPED.pdf

Basically, Zellner is alleging a Brady violation for withholding information about a witness favorable to Steven Avery's defense. The witness was the paperboy, who reported seeing Bobby Dassey and an older bearded dude pushing Halbach's car towards the Avery junkyard. The paperboy, Thomas Sowinski, reported such to the police and was told, "We already know who did it," and was never contacted again.
Old 13th April 2021, 03:47 PM   #554
Essexman
Thinker

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

Basically, Zellner is alleging a Brady violation for withholding information about a witness favorable to Steven Avery's defense. The witness was the paperboy, who reported seeing Bobby Dassey and an older bearded dude pushing Halbach's car towards the Avery junkyard. The paperboy, Thomas Sowinski, reported such to the police and was told, "We already know who did it," and was never contacted again.

Another fabricated and coached witness statement by Zellner to keep her BS circus going.
Old 13th April 2021, 05:24 PM   #555
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

here we go again

We have been through this before, but you have yet to show any effort to understand the salient issues. On the basis of a negative TMB test, we know that there was no blood present. On the basis of the negative TMB test and the peer-reviewed forensic literature, we can rule out bleach-cleaned blood. Therefore, making a big deal about what gave rise to the positive luminol reaction is misdirection. Luminol is a relatively fast and easy way to cover a good deal of ground, yet there are many false positives, not all of which have been well characterized. This last point was made in a 2007 review article by Barni and coworkers (citation available upon request). What you wrote suggests that blood was cleaned up, but there is no evidence that supports such an inference.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 13th April 2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 13th April 2021, 05:30 PM   #556
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

too close for comfort

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

"Mr. Sowinski was within 5 feet of Bobby, and his headlights were on Bobby this entire time."

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 13th April 2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 13th April 2021, 06:49 PM   #557
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

White, Leo, Ofshe, and Kassin

They needed a false confession to go with it, which is why they brainwashed Dassey into saying that he was involved by cunningly asking him questions about the crime!
Those of us who have criticized the criminal justice system's handling of Mr. Dassey have quoted both from experts associated with the case (White and Leo) and independent experts (Ofshe and Kassin). We have offered a number of specific examples of how the police contaminated Mr. Dassey's account. Your comment is...a wholesale misrepresentation of the interrogation. If you are able to offer rebuttals to what has been quoted here, it might yet be possible to have a productive conversation about Mr. Dassey's putative involveement.
Old 13th April 2021, 07:05 PM   #558
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

and then there were five

The evidence gathered in this case was gathered by CCSO not MTSO.
SNIP
Here is a link to a list of who gathered which piece of evidence. Four pieces of evidence are listed for MTSO, but they seem to have missed David Remiker's finding of a bullet.
Old 13th April 2021, 07:20 PM   #559
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

heat degradation of DNA

"Forensic Examination of Burnt Human Remains" link. This study reviews several articles which detail attempts to amplify DNA from samples subjected to burning or to heat. Most of them were unsuccessful. The authors wrote about one such study: "However, considering that the dental pulp is somewhat protected from heat by the surrounding enamel and dentine, this severe DNA degradation after such a short period of heating also suggests the poor heat resistance of DNA."
Old 13th April 2021, 07:51 PM   #560
DragonLady
Illuminator

Another fabricated and coached witness statement by Zellner to keep her BS circus going.
I guess I missed something. What other witness did she coach into giving fabricated statements?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors