IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brendan Dassey , murder cases , Steven Avery , Teresa Halbach

Old 23rd October 2018, 03:59 AM   #121
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Steve Moore's blog (see upthread) explained why the bullet that they found was not likely to have passed through her head, although it could have gone through another part of her body. Among other things he was trained as a sniper; therefore, his opinion carries more weight than most.
Sadly, he's also a bit of a dolt, and that subtracts from the extra weight you've allotted him due to his sniper training.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:51 AM   #122
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

kinetic energy of the bullet

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Sadly, he's also a bit of a dolt, and that subtracts from the extra weight you've allotted him due to his sniper training.
Link to Moore's blog. "I completely anticipated that these articles would be the web's version of the bullpen, and I am happy to see that proven true. In my last article, I wrote extensively about the fact that .22LR bullets do not (usually) possess the kinetic energy necessary to exit the skull, once fired into it. I stand by that statement." He goes on to acknowledge that it could have been a different bullet.

Does that mean that you disagree? In other words, do you think that there is a problem with his argument about kinetic energy?
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:03 AM   #123
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

This is all so awful that we must regroup.
I know Chris cares about these cases, and I hope Alaska Bush Pilot will stay on board.

This message board is at the sane end of the spectrum, so let us strive to correct this truly epic miscarriage of justice.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 03:58 AM   #124
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

A judge denied Mr. Dassey's request for a different lawyer

I found a discussion of Mr. Dassey's confession and his mental handicaps in relation to his asking for a different lawyer at Cornell's law school. I am not certain whether or not this has been posted previously.
Old 26th October 2018, 02:13 PM   #125
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

This is a good opportunity for people to watch the complete series 2 of Making a Murderer and then come to the thread with arguments that Kathleen Zellner is incorrect in her findings.

One of her findings is that Steven Avery had nothing to do with the death of Teresa Halbach.

"So the goal here is to get to the truth of what happened to Teresa Halbach. We're not trying to just stir up trouble, we're trying to find out what actually happened to her, and what the state said happened to her isn't remotely close to what happened to her."

Last edited by Samson; 26th October 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2018, 07:14 PM   #126
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Link to Moore's blog. "I completely anticipated that these articles would be the web's version of the bullpen, and I am happy to see that proven true. In my last article, I wrote extensively about the fact that .22LR bullets do not (usually) possess the kinetic energy necessary to exit the skull, once fired into it. I stand by that statement." He goes on to acknowledge that it could have been a different bullet.

Does that mean that you disagree? In other words, do you think that there is a problem with his argument about kinetic energy?
No, I do not disagree. I just think you give him too much credit for being a sniper. After all, snipers are what they are because they can kill from afar. How does that necessarily make him an expert on the behavior of a bullet after it enters a skull?

He comes across as a dope. I think he did more harm than good when speaking out on behalf of Amanda Knox. Because of this, I find it difficult to fathom that he knows of what he speaketh (or in this case writeth).

Last edited by Ampulla of Vater; 28th October 2018 at 07:16 PM.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2018, 03:37 AM   #127
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

No, I do not disagree. I just think you give him too much credit for being a sniper. After all, snipers are what they are because they can kill from afar. How does that necessarily make him an expert on the behavior of a bullet after it enters a skull?

He comes across as a dope. I think he did more harm than good when speaking out on behalf of Amanda Knox. Because of this, I find it difficult to fathom that he knows of what he speaketh (or in this case writeth).
That's pretty harsh Ampulla, Charlie thinks enough of him to suggest he could help in the Lundy case. He did not respond to Charlie as I recall.
He was correct on the vial blood before Zellner abandoned that also.

Last edited by Samson; 29th October 2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 29th October 2018, 04:32 AM   #128
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

on bullet wounds

I am not an expert but a quick Google search found this, which discusses 22 and 25 handguns, and this.
Old 30th October 2018, 03:24 AM   #129
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Brad Shimel is candidate for most evil man America has produced.

If he believes Dassey guilty he is stupid and one of a very very small group, tending to zero.

Else (modal logic) he is perfectly evil.
Old 30th October 2018, 03:56 AM   #130
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

In a sensible world the state kidnapping and ongoing confinement of Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey should define a quest for a new paradigm.
in fact they are two of many.
Old 31st October 2018, 06:08 AM   #131
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
That's pretty harsh Ampulla, Charlie thinks enough of him to suggest he could help in the Lundy case. He did not respond to Charlie as I recall.
He was correct on the vial blood before Zellner abandoned that also.
Perhaps it is harsh, Samson, but I have seen him on various television spots and he just is not a good representative. Of course that doesn't mean he is a complete idiot, just that he comes across as one.

I do think well of Charlie; we have much in common with regard to our true crime hobbies. We had much to talk about when I met him a few years ago. The fact that Steve did not respond to Charlie is telling, as I have always felt Moore thinks he is better than us common folk.
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:04 AM   #132
JTF
Graduate Poster

The Carnival Barker Came Up Empty

I hate to say I told you so, but as expected, Zellner did not come up with the evidentiary goods. Part I of this advocacy piece was extremely effective in raising the blood pressure of the general public, but reporters who covered the Avery trial found Part 1 to be unimpressive and manipulative.

Part 2 will put most critical thinkers to sleep and Zellner didn't come close to meeting the daunting burden placed upon her by the appellate court system. Avery's advocates can fawn over the conclusions drawn by her paid experts, but not one of their experiments linked (e.g., DNA, fibers, prints) a specific individual not named Steven Avery to this murder.

The burden becomes even more daunting when you consider that...

- The victims bones are found entwined with debris in Avery's fire pit.

- Pieces of the victim's clothing and the tool used to break up her charred remains are also found in this fire pit.

- Several of the victim's personal belongings are found in a burn barrel on Avery's property.

- The victim's car is also found on Avery's property, the doors are locked, and the vehicle has been disabled.

- Blood was found in 6 locations inside the victim's vehicle and all 6 stains matched Avery's DNA profile.

- Avery's DNA was found under the hood latch of the victim's vehicle.

- Direct contact bleeding stains matching the DNA profile of the victim were found in the rear inside portion of her vehicle.

- A bullet matching a gun owned by Avery was found in his garage and debris found on the bullet matched the victim's DNA profile.

- In that same garage, a concentrated area lit up when sprayed with Luminol indicating that this area of the garage had been cleaned.

- Dassey's mother noticed he had bleach stains on the front of his pants and she told investigators that her son admitted he had helped his uncle clean the garage.

I won't even get into Avery's phone ruse or the fact that his DNA was found on the victim's car key because the quality of the evidence doesn't force me to pile on. Zellner has the right to stick her face in front of cameras and to express her special brand of hyperbole, but I believe that she knows she has failed to meet her burden and that her client will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Last edited by JTF; 3rd November 2018 at 12:10 AM.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 05:30 AM   #133
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

luminol; toolmark comparisons

Originally Posted by JTF View Post

- A bullet matching a gun owned by Avery was found in his garage and debris found on the bullet matched the victim's DNA profile.

- In that same garage, a concentrated area lit up when sprayed with Luminol indicating that this area of the garage had been cleaned.
With respect to luminol, it is positive for rust, copper ore, and some cleaning agents. A positive result cannot by its nature be taken as showing the identity of any one substance. Bleach decomposes quickly, and the process is second-order kinetically. Citations available upon request.

With respect to the bullet, I have quoted from a number of sources. "Matching" a gun to a bullet is nothing like fingerprint comparison, let alone DNA profiling is nonsense. The use of the word "matching" is extremely dubious IMO. Citations upthread.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 3rd November 2018 at 06:23 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:10 AM   #134
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I hate to say I told you so, but as expected, Zellner did not come up with the evidentiary goods. Part I of this advocacy piece was extremely effective in raising the blood pressure of the general public, but reporters who covered the Avery trial found Part 1 to be unimpressive and manipulative.

Part 2 will put most critical thinkers to sleep and Zellner didn't come close to meeting the daunting burden placed upon her by the appellate court system. Avery's advocates can fawn over the conclusions drawn by her paid experts, but not one of their experiments linked (e.g., DNA, fibers, prints) a specific individual not named Steven Avery to this murder.

The burden becomes even more daunting when you consider that...

- The victims bones are found entwined with debris in Avery's fire pit.

- Pieces of the victim's clothing and the tool used to break up her charred remains are also found in this fire pit.

- Several of the victim's personal belongings are found in a burn barrel on Avery's property.

- The victim's car is also found on Avery's property, the doors are locked, and the vehicle has been disabled.

- Blood was found in 6 locations inside the victim's vehicle and all 6 stains matched Avery's DNA profile.

- Avery's DNA was found under the hood latch of the victim's vehicle.

- Direct contact bleeding stains matching the DNA profile of the victim were found in the rear inside portion of her vehicle.

- Dassey's mother noticed he had bleach stains on the front of his pants and she told investigators that her son admitted he had helped his uncle clean the garage.

I won't even get into Avery's phone ruse or the fact that his DNA was found on the victim's car key because the quality of the evidence doesn't force me to pile on. Zellner has the right to stick her face in front of cameras and to express her special brand of hyperbole, but I believe that she knows she has failed to meet her burden and that her client will spend the rest of his life in prison.
JTF:
There are a few witnesses with no obvious motive to lie, who saw Teresa's car leave the property.
Who was driving it?
Zellner describes pings that prove her phone left the property after she arrived.
How does Avery fit in here?
Old 18th December 2018, 05:58 PM   #135
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

'Making a Murderer' police officer is suing Netflix and the filmmakers for defamation

Originally Posted by CNN
In the defamation lawsuit, former Manitowoc County Sheriff's Office officer Andrew L. Colborn claims that the filmmakers distorted and omitted key facts about the 2005 murder of freelance photographer Teresa Halbach and wrongly accused him and others of planting evidence in the case...

"Despite overwhelming evidence proving Avery and Dassey's guilt and the utter absence of evidence supporting defendant's accusations of police misconduct, defendants falsely led viewers to the inescapable conclusion that plaintiff and others planted evidence to frame Avery for Halbach's murder," the lawsuit states. "Defendants omitted, distorted, and falsified material and significant facts in an effort to portray plaintiff as a corrupt police officer who planted evidence to frame an innocent man."...

Colborn's lawsuit says he was not a public figure before the series was released and had an impeccable reputation.

"During the intervening three years, plaintiff has been subject to worldwide ridicule, contempt and disdain as a result of the baseless and false assertions in MAM that he planted evidence to frame an innocent man or strengthen the case against a guilty one," the lawsuit said.

It said he has been the subject of hundreds of articles, television and radio segments that portray him in a negative light and has been threatened and insulted on social media. It also said he has received threatening messages and recorded enough of them to fill 28 compact discs.

Colborn is asking for a jury trial and is demanding a retraction and an "honest clarification of the erroneous and false statements and depictions described above to clear his good name and restore peace of mind," according to the lawsuit.

He is also seeking unspecified damages.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/enter...rnd/index.html
Old 19th December 2018, 02:54 AM   #136
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
'Making a Murderer' police officer is suing Netflix and the filmmakers for defamation

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/enter...rnd/index.html
Since the crime scene evidence rules out the involvement of Steve Avery and Brendan Dassey this action is quite fascinating.
Andrew Colborn is more crooked than a dog's hind leg, he should hide behind the false convictions for which he planted evidence.
Old 19th December 2018, 04:55 PM   #137
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Andrew Colborn is more crooked than a dog's hind leg, he should hide behind the false convictions for which he planted evidence.
Andrew Colborn is an idiot. Suing Netflix will just bring his evidence planting to light and open him up for criminal investigation. Why do it when you are guilty as sin, and the evidence against you is so irrefutable that even random internet posters are sure of it?

Or - the filmmakers really did omit, distort, and falsify material and significant facts in order to make for a more compelling narrative, therefore impugning the reputation of an innocent man.

Which is more likely? Knowing that filmmakers never omit, distort, or falsify, and that all police officers are corrupt, the answer is obvious...
Old 19th December 2018, 05:33 PM   #138
JTF
Graduate Poster

Living In A Fantasy World

SAMSON: Nobody can create a fantasy narrative like a conspiracy buff. Not only did you ignore my list of evidentiary items that inculpated Avery in this horrific crime, you put forth a blanket statement (e.g., crime scene evidence rules out the involvement of Steve Avery) that would make Alex Jones blush. Your penchant for making such statements without coming close to providing any definitive proof of your claims is becoming par for the course on this thread. I can see why you admire Zellner and the creators of the hyperbolic Netflix series on this case.

IMO, Colborn should have sued Netflix a week after Part I was aired. After watching Part I, it took me about an hour of research to see that the documentary had a specific agenda. Colborn and several other individuals were targets of this agenda, yet I don't think the filmmakers cared one bit about the negative impact their agenda would have on these individuals. The good news is that the appellate courts don't base their decisions on slanted documentaries, books, and posts on true crime forums. They base their decisions on legal briefs filed by the defense and the government.

I repeat, the burden of proof is on Avery and that burden is a daunting one. A major component of that burden is to present an evidentiary item that has been definitively sourced to a person not named Steven Avery. This includes sourced DNA, prints, fibers, and a murder weapon. Zellner didn't come close to meeting that burden whereas all of the sourced evidentiary items (e.g., DNA, murder weapon, victims body/personal belongings) points to Steven Avery as being a cold-blooded killer.

Last edited by JTF; 19th December 2018 at 05:42 PM.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 08:36 PM   #139
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Check your premises

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Andrew Colborn is an idiot. Suing Netflix will just bring his evidence planting to light and open him up for criminal investigation. Why do it when you are guilty as sin, and the evidence against you is so irrefutable that even random internet posters are sure of it?
How would his suing bring more evidence to light?
Old 20th December 2018, 02:39 AM   #140
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

SAMSON: Nobody can create a fantasy narrative like a conspiracy buff. Not only did you ignore my list of evidentiary items that inculpated Avery in this horrific crime, you put forth a blanket statement (e.g., crime scene evidence rules out the involvement of Steve Avery) that would make Alex Jones blush. Your penchant for making such statements without coming close to providing any definitive proof of your claims is becoming par for the course on this thread. I can see why you admire Zellner and the creators of the hyperbolic Netflix series on this case.

IMO, Colborn should have sued Netflix a week after Part I was aired. After watching Part I, it took me about an hour of research to see that the documentary had a specific agenda. Colborn and several other individuals were targets of this agenda, yet I don't think the filmmakers cared one bit about the negative impact their agenda would have on these individuals. The good news is that the appellate courts don't base their decisions on slanted documentaries, books, and posts on true crime forums. They base their decisions on legal briefs filed by the defense and the government.

I repeat, the burden of proof is on Avery and that burden is a daunting one. A major component of that burden is to present an evidentiary item that has been definitively sourced to a person not named Steven Avery. This includes sourced DNA, prints, fibers, and a murder weapon. Zellner didn't come close to meeting that burden whereas all of the sourced evidentiary items (e.g., DNA, murder weapon, victims body/personal belongings) points to Steven Avery as being a cold-blooded killer.
From an old friend for you to critique

http://www.injusticeanywhereforum.co...9b0382#p203366
Old 21st December 2018, 05:50 AM   #141
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

luminol; bleach versus abrasions

Luminol will give a positive result for many things, including rust and other metal ions such as from copper. A claim that something had been cleaned on the basis of a positive result for is speculative at best. If there were photographs, one might be able to say more.

A documented way to discriminate between bleach stains versus abrasions on jeans is to examine the fabric under a microscope (25-40x). See p. 43 in "Scientific Protocols for the Forensic Examination of Clothing," by Jane Taupin and Chesterene Cwiklik (2011).

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 21st December 2018 at 06:53 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2018, 06:53 AM   #142
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Rolling Stone article on the suit

“We did an experiment with an identical bookcase – which we included in our court filing – that illustrates that Sgt. Colborn’s trial testimony regarding how the key fell out of the bookcase and landed on the west side of bookcase is demonstrably false,” Zellner tells Rolling Stone. “The Netflix producers chose not to include the experiment in MaM. If they had any malicious motive towards Colborn, that would have been included.” From a Rolling Stone article about the suit. Ms. Zellner thinks that the suit may expose Sgt. Colborn; therefore, my comment in #139 will have to be reconsidered in light of what ultimately happens. BTW Colborn's attorney in the suit is Michael Griesbach, himself an author of a book on the case.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 21st December 2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 21st December 2018, 06:03 PM   #143
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

I think neither Colborn nor Lenk had any business setting foot on that property and I believe any and all evidence discovered by them or with either of them present should have been off limits. Their presence makes the state's case stink to high heaven. If Avery were to get off Scott free because of their involvement, then so be it, but make no mistake, Avery is guilty of this crime. No other scenario passes muster, IMO.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:40 PM   #144
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I think neither Colborn nor Lenk had any business setting foot on that property and I believe any and all evidence discovered by them or with either of them present should have been off limits. Their presence makes the state's case stink to high heaven. If Avery were to get off Scott free because of their involvement, then so be it, but make no mistake, Avery is guilty of this crime. No other scenario passes muster, IMO.
It only takes one impossibility to rule out Avery, but there is a smorgasbord. I really don't get your view in this case, but if the car left the property with her phone, can you still get Avery's arms around the crime?
Old 22nd December 2018, 09:17 AM   #145
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

It only takes one impossibility to rule out Avery, but there is a smorgasbord. I really don't get your view in this case, but if the car left the property with her phone, can you still get Avery's arms around the crime?
Neither her car nor her phone are a guarantee she was with them at the time. Plenty of cars and phones of murder victims have traveled independently of the victim, so no, that does not in and of itself mean anything.
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:56 AM   #146
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Neither her car nor her phone are a guarantee she was with them at the time. Plenty of cars and phones of murder victims have traveled independently of the victim, so no, that does not in and of itself mean anything.
So Avery drove the car with her phone and body from the property? Staging it to make it look like Teresa drove it away, then drove her back after turning the phone off? Without specifying a narrative you are being lazy. I am happy to help.
Old 22nd December 2018, 06:48 PM   #147
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

So Avery drove the car with her phone and body from the property? Staging it to make it look like Teresa drove it away, then drove her back after turning the phone off? Without specifying a narrative you are being lazy. I am happy to help.
I do lazy pretty good on my own, but thanks for the offer.
Old 22nd December 2018, 07:32 PM   #148
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

So well said. There is no doubt about an LE botchery. That in no way negates the fact he is guilty. No grey area. Guilty.

I just read - I believe in Newsweek - that Zeller has no chance of getting a new trial. The evidence, DNA, that she has ordered, does nothing but implicate him in the crime. No grey area.
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:05 AM   #149
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I do lazy pretty good on my own, but thanks for the offer.
Nice, but not what I meant.

I am happy to help you find a narrative that makes sense of the evidence if Avery dunnit.
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:06 AM   #150
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
So well said. There is no doubt about an LE botchery. That in no way negates the fact he is guilty. No grey area. Guilty.

I just read - I believe in Newsweek - that Zeller has no chance of getting a new trial. The evidence, DNA, that she has ordered, does nothing but implicate him in the crime. No grey area.
Jesus wept Wasapi, he hated miscarriages of justice.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:27 PM   #151
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

PCAST report and markings on bullets

The scientific inappropriateness of such testimony is aptly captured by an analogy by District of Columbia Court of Appeals Judge Catharine Easterly in her concurring opinion in Williams v. United States, a case in which an examiner testified that markings on certain bullets were unique to a gun recovered from a defendant’s apartment:

As matters currently stand, a certainty statement regarding toolmark pattern matching has the same probative value as the vision of a psychic: it reflects nothing more than the individual’s foundationless faith in what he believes to be true. This is not evidence on which we can in good conscience rely, particularly in criminal cases, where we demand proof—real proof—beyond a reasonable doubt, precisely because the stakes are so high.126
pp. 54-55 in the PCAST report (pp. 66-67 in the pdf file of this document).

Whether or not it was Mr. Avery's gun that fired the bullet that was found is a separate question from the validity of the trial testimony.
Old 24th December 2018, 11:20 AM   #152
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus wept Wasapi, he hated miscarriages of justice.
Jesus wept?

WTH? Perhaps murderers sadden him.
Old 24th December 2018, 12:43 PM   #153
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus wept?

WTH? Perhaps murderers sadden him.
Maybe he didn't totally get Monty Python

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
Old 24th December 2018, 01:03 PM   #154
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

The Kastle-Meyer test was negative

JB: And the area, then, you then sampled and tested with phenolphthalein, after that, right?
JE: That's correct.
JB: You turn the lights and then you used these very sensitive phenolphthalein tests to see if there's any possible blood?
JE: Correct.
JB: And that would be human or animal, right?
JB: And that particular area, you didn't find any -- any kind of blood reaction at all?

Phenolphthalin is the reduced form of phenolphthalein, and the former is the key reagent in the Kastle-Meyer presumptive test for blood. A negative result from a presumptive test rules out the existence of blood. Nor is it likely that the luminol would react with bleach itself unless the luminol were applied shortly thereafter (bleach decomposes quickly).
Old 24th December 2018, 01:05 PM   #155
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he didn't totally get Monty Python

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
Ah, got it! Thank you, it's still funny!
Old 24th December 2018, 03:57 PM   #156
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, got it! Thank you, it's still funny!
Said to be the most popular funeral song worldwide.
Monty Python got to America ok, but maybe not as the Beatles did.

Steve Avery is a delightful character in series 2, he has powerful and authentic friends, not groupies who lust after a killer.
Old 25th December 2018, 08:31 AM   #157
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

luminol, phenolphthalein, and presumptive testing for blood

Luminol is a presumptive test for blood. It should be followed up with a more discriminating presumptive test, and then a confirmatory test should be run. Without a confirmatory test being run, a positive result for a presumptive test only indicates the possibility of blood. The Gregory Taylor case in North Carolina is a good object lesson in why. In a recent comment upthread, I mentioned that the Kastle-Meyer presumptive test was negative in this instance. What we have is a luminol-posiitive region that is unlikely to be blood. As evidence of a supposed clean-up, it is pretty thin gruel.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 25th December 2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 29th December 2018, 05:54 PM   #158
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

expert witnesses and trials

The prosecution's experts are always paid. In some cases they are employed by the state's crime lab, which is may be part of the state police force. There are many documented instances of forensic fraud, bias, and error.

You have not shown evidence that Zellner's experts were paid. Some defense experts work pro bono or at a reduced rate.
Old 29th December 2018, 08:44 PM   #159
JTF
Graduate Poster

Still Waiting

ABP: Your attempts at the old bait and switch do not mask the fact that Zellner nor any other advocate for Avery's innocence has produced a single piece of exculpatory physical evidence. This was Zellner's burden and she didn't come close to meeting that daunting burden.

You certainly have the right to put forth arguments for Avery's innocence, but arguments that stray from the physical evidence in this case are going to be challenged. My challenges are saltier than most, but despite your assertions to the contrary, the crux of my posts have focused on the physical evidence that definitively linked Avery to this horrific crime.

I've focused on the physical evidence in order to elicit a specific response. That response is to see if any poster can succeed where Zellner failed. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on that evidentiary item (e.g., DNA, fibers, hairs, blood, murder weapon, etc.) that was definitively sourced to someone other than Steven Avery and Teresa Halbach.

In terms of sliming people, what does your silence on those who make direct personal attacks against dedicated police officers/investigators in this case say about you? To make matters worse, the negative labels placed upon these officers and investigators is based on innuendo, speculation, and a conspiracy mindset. IMO, that is the true definition of despicable.

Last edited by JTF; 29th December 2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 30th December 2018, 08:38 PM   #160
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

The ABA standards concerning DNA evidence

The American Bar Association put out standards on DNA evidence. Standard 4.1 (a) reads, "The prosecutor should be required, within a specified and reasonable time prior to trial, to make available to the defense the following information and material relating to DNA evidence: ... (ix) reports of laboratory contamination and other laboratory problems affecting testing procedures or results relevant to the evaluation of the procedures and test results obtained in the case and corrective actions taken in response;" Yet based on the exchange in comment #13 in this thread, Ms. Culhane's report did not appear to be in conformity with this standard. This is not the only example of questionable behavior on the part of the laboratory in question, as has been previously discussed.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 30th December 2018 at 08:54 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors