IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Denmark cases , murder cases , Peter Madsen

Old 24th February 2018, 11:59 AM   #81
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I have a hard time understanding why people weren't so creeped out by this guy that they refused to have anything to do with him.
He was a billionaire with at least one really cool toy.

Last edited by Mycroft; 24th February 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 02:26 AM   #82
dellarte
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Scordatura View Post
*snip* Combine that anxiety with his sadism fetish bolstered by the gory videos and the result may have created a "perfect storm" culminating in the frenzied attack on Kim Wall. Could it have driven him into planning to commit suicide after fulfilling another dream of his - committing a gruesome attack on a woman?
I'm just speculating. *snip*
Your speculation tends to be more informed rather than wild. However, I do tone down some of the background, the outwardly spectacular "perfect storm" and future intent of suicide.

To me, Peter Madsen was predisposed to paraphilia. That's my take on the background.

He invited a female on board his submarine in the same way some guys invite a female into their car.

Kim Wall (eventually) accepted the offer solely for professional reason. She was a journalist on journalist assignment. Her boyfriend decided not to board Madsen's submarine. Seems they trusted each other and Madsen.

Madsen's fantasy of a female accepting his invitation to be alone with him in his submarine became reality.

Madsen let his fantasy go further. Ms. Wall rejected Madsen's further intention. Madsen's fantasy blurred with his predisposition to paraphelia. Ms. Wall is dismembered.

Fantasy over. Madsen re-enters the public eye. No intention of suicide. As each excuse he makes is dismissed another excuse pops-up.

Just wondering. Why the trip had to commence at sunset? What moon it was that night?

Last edited by dellarte; 25th February 2018 at 02:45 AM.
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 06:37 AM   #83
desmirelle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
He was a billionaire with at least one really cool toy.
I've only ever seen him mentioned as an 'inventor' and 'entrepreneur', never as a 'billionaire'.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 08:06 AM   #84
dann
Penultimate Amazing

He wasn't and isn't rich!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 08:07 AM   #85
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
I've only ever seen him mentioned as an 'inventor' and 'entrepreneur', never as a 'billionaire'.
He certainly isn't a billionaire. In fact I think not a man of means at all. The submarine was built by the help of volunteers and donated materials.

Hans
Old 25th February 2018, 08:16 AM   #86
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dellarte View Post
Madsen's fantasy of a female accepting his invitation to be alone with him in his submarine became reality.

That wasn't the first time he had women onboard the submarine. Deirdre King, a U.S. citizen living in Copenhagen, had had sex with him there. Immediately after the crime, she still believed that he was innocent. Now she suspects that he may have intended for her to become the (or maybe a) victim.
Neue Zürcher Zeitung (Feb. 23, 2018)
Ekstra Bladet (Feb. 24, 2018)
Ekstra Bladet (Sep. 9, 2017)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 25th February 2018 at 08:55 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 08:22 AM   #87
dann
Penultimate Amazing

PS Peter Madsen reveals: Is into SM and has had sex with several women onboard the submarine (Lokalavisen, Sep. 17, 2017)
Old 25th February 2018, 08:53 AM   #88
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
»Han er ikke voldelig, han drikker ikke, tager ikke stoffer. Han er en mand med sunde værdier. Til gengæld skændes han med gud og hver mand,« siger Thomas Djursing.
(…)
Peter Madsen har altid haft store drømme. Han har aldrig forstået, at almindelige mennesker kan finde tilfredsstillelse i almindeligt arbejde.
»Jeg håber, jeg på sigt får en kriminel løbebane. Ikke at jeg vil røve en bank. Nej for satan, det må ikke gå ud over nogen,« sagde han til Søndagsavisen i 2014. Men han vil gerne lave en happening af 'gigantiske dimensioner'.
Jyllands-Posten (Aug. 14, 2017)

"He is not violent, he does not drink, does not take drugs. He is a man of healthy values. On the other hand, he is quarrels with everybody, "says Thomas Djursing.
(...)
Peter Madsen has always had big dreams. He has never understood that ordinary people can find satisfaction in ordinary work.
"In the long run, I hope to have a career in crime. Not that I want to rob a bank. Hell no, it shouldn’t harm anybody," he said to Søndagsavisen in 2014. But he would like to make a happening of 'gigantic proportions'.

In my opinion, his size may have been what kept him from becoming a full-blown violent psychopath until ...
Old 4th March 2018, 10:20 AM   #89
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I notice that the scavengers are descending. Currently, his ex-GF is having her fifteen minutes of fame spilling juicy details of his/their sex-life.

I don't pity him, but ... tasteless it is.

Hans
Old 6th March 2018, 03:40 AM   #90
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's impossible to any more tasteless than Peter Madsen.
And most of his former acquaintances are probably pretending that they never really knew him all that well ... and never participated in his Nazi games ...
Old 6th March 2018, 12:16 PM   #91
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Turning towards the trial, with the first day being on this coming thursday. I assume that's for various technicalities surrounding the trial, as there's then a two week gap before the next set of court dates.

However, due to an impending labour conflict (strikes have already been announced, with lock-outs presumably due to follow), the case might grind to a halt after easter, as various members of the court staff has been selected for strike action.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 12:29 PM   #92
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's impossible to any more tasteless than Peter Madsen.
well, without any real qualifications to assess this, I still think that ... Peter Madsen is ... seriously ill.

Quote:
And most of his former acquaintances are probably pretending that they never really knew him all that well ... and never participated in his Nazi games ...
Yes, I have seen some being very busy putting as much distance between themselves and "Rocket Madsen" as they could. ... Can't blame them.

Hans
Old 7th March 2018, 02:56 AM   #93
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
well, without any real qualifications to assess this, I still think that ... Peter Madsen is ... seriously ill.

Well, probably not ill in the eyes of the law.

Quote:
Yes, I have seen some being very busy putting as much distance between themselves and "Rocket Madsen" as they could. ... Can't blame them.

No, and it's very similar what happened when famous TV psychic Graham Bishop tried to kill his daughters: TV-clairvoyant vil erklæres sindssyg efter drabsforsøg på sine tvillinger (Ekstra Bladet, Dec. 18, 2012). For some reason, all the amateur psychics stopped advertising that they had had Graham Bishop as a teacher of their 'craft' ...
I would have declared him insane the first time I saw him on TV channelling his spirit guide Dr. Karl: Father sentenced to eleven years in prison and deportation for assault on his twin daughters (CPH Post, Nov. 20, 2013)

Graham Bishop channelling Dr. Karl (begins at 4:28):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th March 2018, 03:38 AM   #94
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, probably not ill in the eyes of the law.

Well, time will tell. He may be sentenced to custody (in Denmark, that is essentially an indeterminate time sentence, in contrast to the longest regular sentence, which is 16 years).

Hans
Old 7th March 2018, 05:22 AM   #95
dann
Penultimate Amazing

They (Retslægerådet) don't seem to think that he's clinically insane, but ...
Old 7th March 2018, 06:59 AM   #96
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No, I know, but that assessment was, if I recall right, made before the most gruesome details became known.

But again, we'll see. Will probably take quite some time before the trial is completely over.

Hans
Old 7th March 2018, 09:41 AM   #97
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's expected to be over this month. They begin tomorrow.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:07 AM   #98
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's expected to be over this month. They begin tomorrow.
Well, with strikes coming up, plus appeals .... could draw on for ages.

Hans
Old 7th March 2018, 01:06 PM   #99
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I was wrong about the length of the trial. Here it says April 25: Denmark braces for one of most gruesome murder trials in its history (CNN, Mar. 7, 2018)
Old 7th March 2018, 01:24 PM   #100
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We could always ask some Yale psychiatrists to watch at his TV appearances, read his Tweets, and listen to his ex-girlfriend's juicy tidbits of gossip.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 12:29 AM   #101
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Danish inventor goes on trial for murder of journalist Kim Wall (Guardian, Mar. 8, 2018)
Kim Wall death: Inventor Peter Madsen goes on trial (BBC News, Mar. 8, 2018)
10 ting du skal vide inden ’Ubådssagen’ begynder (Ekstra Bladet, Mar. 8, 2018)
LIVE: Nu starter retssagen mod Peter Madsen (Ekstra Bladet, Mar. 8, 2018)
Old 8th March 2018, 03:31 AM   #102
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

This looks like a ripping yarn. Extremely sad for the woman's family.
He is so obviously guilty it beggars belief that a 3 panel might acquit.
Coincidence is a problem for statisticians, but a man who feels dismembering is the appropriate response for an accident, and also has video of real killings on his computer breaks new ground in coincidence theory.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 07:35 AM   #103
dann
Penultimate Amazing

He still seems to claim that Kim Wall was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, "exhaust from the engines," not by the hatch injuring her directly. I don't know if coroners are able to debunk this explanation by examining the body, but I assume exhaust gasses would leave traces in human tissue.

Quote:
Det er lidt usikkert, hvornår han så den og hvorfor han overhovedet ledte efter optagelsen med søgeordene 'kvinde', 'halsoverskæring' og 'smerte'.
(It is not quite clear when he watched the video (of a woman being beheaded) and why he was searching for the footage using the words ’woman’, ’throat-cutting’ and ’pain’.
A hatch got stuck and killed Kim Wall (Politiken, Mar. 8, 2018)

He appears to have had similar videos on his cell phone:

Accused submarine captain was searching for torture videos immediately before the trip with Kim Wall (Politiken, Mar. 8, 2018)
Old 8th March 2018, 08:37 AM   #104
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... I assume exhaust gasses would leave traces in human tissue.
Carbon monoxide poisoning produces carboxyhemoglobin in the blood and I think that's fairly stable and persistent so may well be detectable in her remains.

Won't be there, of course.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 09:12 AM   #105
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Mentalundersøgelsen af Peter Madsen konstaterer, at han fremstår højst utroværdig, ligesom det er vanskeligt at få et sandfærdigt indblik i hans seksualliv.
I konklusionen, som anklageren kort refererede under sin forelæggelse, beskrives han som 'polymorf' og fremstår svært seksuelt afvigende. Det fremgår desuden, at han er en velbegavet mand, men udviser narcissistiske og psykopatiske træk.
Han beskrives desuden som udtaget glat med overfladisk charme, patologisk løgnagtig, følelseshæmmet og med alvorlig mangel på empati og anger.
Mentalundersøgelse: Madsen fremstår svært seksuelt afvigende (Ekstra Bladet, Mar. 8, 2018)

My translation:
”The mental examination of Peter Madsen states that he appears to be extremely unreliable, and it is difficult to get a true insight into his sex life.
In the conclusion, which the prosecutor briefly referred to when presenting the case, he is described as 'polymorph' and appears to be extremely sexually deviant. It also says that he is intelligent, but exhibits narcissistic and psychopathic traits.
Furthermore he is described as glib with superficial charm, a pathological liar, emotionally impaired and with a severe lack of empathy and remorse.”

That’s the textbook definition of severe narcissistic psychopathy.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:12 AM   #106
Rolfe
Adult human female

His defence is falling apart as fast as Shipman's did when they started to look at the time stamps on his computer entries.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:13 AM   #107
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Won't be there, of course.
???
Old 8th March 2018, 09:35 AM   #108
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Submariner Peter Madsen says toxic fumes killed journalist (BBC News, Mar. 8, 2018)
Peter Madsen says his account of journalist’s death changed because he wanted to spare her relatives the detail (Guardian, Mar. 8, 2018)
Danish inventor Peter Madsen pleads not guilty to murder (CNN, Mar. 8, 2018)
Old 8th March 2018, 09:38 AM   #109
Belz...
Fiend God

???
Jack's saying that Madsen killed her and there won't be those chemicals in her body to prove his ridiculous claim.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 09:51 AM   #110
dann
Penultimate Amazing

But that would seem to contradict:
... may well be detectable in her remains.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:56 AM   #111
dann
Penultimate Amazing

(...)
He appears to have had similar videos on his cell phone:
Quote:
Det er lidt usikkert, hvornår han så den og hvorfor han overhovedet ledte efter optagelsen med søgeordene 'kvinde', 'halsoverskæring' og 'smerte'.
(It is not quite clear when he watched the video (of a woman being beheaded) and why he was searching for the footage using the words ’woman’, ’throat-cutting’ and ’pain’.
Accused submarine captain was searching for torture videos immediately before the trip with Kim Wall (Politiken, Mar. 8, 2018)

He seems to have googled in (a kind of) English:
Quote:
19 timer før Kim Wall og Peter Madsen stævnede ud fra Refshaleøen i den selvbyggede ubåd, UC3 Nautilus, googlede den drabstiltalte ubådskaptajn på sin telefon efter “beheading girl argony”, med en stavefejl i det sidste ord.
På dansk oversættes søgestrengen til “halshugning, pige, smerte/pinsel”, og i den engelske version dukker en video af en rallende kvinde, der langsomt får skåret halsen op, frem.
Peter Madsen er ikke sindssyg - men retslæger anbefaler forvaring
(Berlingske, Mar. 8, 2018)

Last edited by dann; 8th March 2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 8th March 2018, 10:12 AM   #112
Belz...
Fiend God

But that would seem to contradict:
No. It's detectable. But it isn't there, so it won't be detected.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 10:53 AM   #113
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No. It's detectable. But it isn't there, so it won't be detected.
This. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I think they would be able to detect CO poisoning but I don't believe they will detect it because the claim she was overcome by engine fumes is just another ******** excuse from her murderer.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 11:07 AM   #114
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I think they would be able to detect CO poisoning but I don't believe they will detect it because the claim she was overcome by engine fumes is just another ******** excuse from her murderer.
Sure they are. Googling for forensic methods of detecting CO poisoning gives a host of sites.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 11:26 AM   #115
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

It's possible that he used carbon monoxide to kill her. OTOH, he hasn't so far made any effort to make his excuses plausible, so I don't think it's all that likely. I don't believe for a second that her death was accidental, whatever the cause may have been.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 11:31 AM   #116
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Sure they are. Googling for forensic methods of detecting CO poisoning gives a host of sites.

Yes, but the point made by Jack by the hedge, which I misunderstood, is that they won't find any traces of exhaust fume poisoning in her blood or organs because it isn't there. What they may detect is the absence of carbon monoxide or other exhaust fumes.
Old 8th March 2018, 11:31 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I don't believe for a second that her death was accidental, whatever the cause may have been.
"Well, golly! She asphyxiated! I panicked, what was I to do? Return her to shore as is? No! I had sex with the body, cut it into pieces, encased them in concrete and threw them at the bottom of the ocean, like a normal person! What's suspicious about that?"

Old 8th March 2018, 11:33 AM   #118
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It's possible that he used carbon monoxide to kill her.

Probably not. The sicko wouldn't have been able to enjoy it if he couldn't watch her suffering ...
Old 8th March 2018, 11:35 AM   #119
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
- Personlighedsmæssigt er han svært afvigende med primært narcissistiske og psykopatiske træk, lyder det i psykiaternes vurdering.
Mentalundersøgelse: Peter Madsen har psykopatiske træk (MSN, Mar. 8, 2018)

”- His personality is very aberrant with primarily narcissistic and psychopathic traits, according to the assessment by the psychiatrists.”
Mental Examination: Peter Madsen has psychopathic traits
Old 8th March 2018, 02:02 PM   #120
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Peter Madsen har narcissistiske og psykopatiske træk. Han viser ingen tegn på anger og medfølelse. Han er pervers og seksuelt afvigende. Farlig. Han er ikke psykotisk, hans tilstand kan ikke behandles, og han er derfor egnet til almindelig straf.
Så vidt mentalerklæringen. I retten ses narcissisten optræde. Flere gange omtaler han sig selv i tredje person:
»Peter taler meget.«
Den sygeligt selvoptagede person har splittet sit selv i to dele. Der er den faktiske Peter Madsen. Det er ham, der kommer fra en brudt familie, aldrig fik gjort en ingeniøruddannelse færdig, har haft svært ved at indgå i almindelige, stabile relationer, har en stor gæld og i øvrigt har gjort sig uvenner med mange i det lille danske raketmiljø. Og så er der den Peter Madsen, Peter Madsen drømmer om at være. Raket-Madsen. Den autodidakte opfinder. Geniet.
Peter Madsen viser ingen tegn på anger og medfølelse (Information, Mar. 8, 2018)

Peter Madsen has narcissistic and psychopathic traits. He shows no signs of remorse and compassion. He is a pervert and a sexual deviant. Dangerous. He is not psychotic, his condition is untreatable, and therefore he is fit for ordinary punishment.
That is according to the psychiatric evaluation. In court, we see the narcissist perform. Several times he makes third-person references to himself:
"Peter talks a lot."
The morbidly self-absorbed individual has split himself into two parts. There is the actual Peter Madsen. He is the one from a broken home, who never finished the education as an engineer, had difficulties forming regular, stable relationships, has a big debt and also has made enemies out of many in the small Danish rocket scene. And then there is the Peter Madsen that Peter Madsen dreams of being: Rocket-Madsen. The self-made inventor. The genius.”
Peter Madsen shows no signs of remorse and compassion

The article in Information contains other details that I haven't seen mentioned in other media.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors