IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amber Guyger , Dallas incidents , murder cases , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents , Texas cases

Closed Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 04:56 AM   #1201
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
I would hope that the prosecution is aware of this strategy and drives home the point that lethal action is not the first step in police training - which I think is being done by pointing that she had other means at hand. Should continue to point out that other means were available and that her training should have allowed her to better assess the situation before immediately going for her gun.
THen the defense call out actual officers and shows that it total BS for public consumption and not at all true, like the idea that the military would disobey illegal orders despite all the happiness to torture when ordered. I mean following orders is and always will be a legal excuse for american service personnel in american courts.

Be reasonable here.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 05:23 AM   #1202
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
I would hope that the prosecution is aware of this strategy and drives home the point that lethal action is not the first step in police training - which I think is being done by pointing that she had other means at hand. Should continue to point out that other means were available and that her training should have allowed her to better assess the situation before immediately going for her gun.
The trend of police training is very much the opposite of that. Much emphasis is placed on how hesitation results in getting police officers killed. Famous videos of botched car stops resulting in police being killed are watched and rewatched, over and over again, pointing out how lack of aggression and total control of the situation led the the murder of the officer.

There used to be an idea that police officers were heroes, largely because it was acknowledged that they were placing the well being of the public above their own. Modern policing is a repudiation of that philosophy, where "going home at the end of shift" is the prime directive. Speed and aggression are seen as virtues, while hesitation and thoughtfulness are seen as potentially fatal flaws.

This might make policing safer for the police, it undoubtedly increases the danger of the public who may have a bad split-second reaction that leads to their violent death.
Old 26th September 2019, 05:27 AM   #1203
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
This might make policing safer for the police, it undoubtedly increases the danger of the public who may have a bad split-second reaction that leads to their violent death.
In the short term, long term I don't think this mentality is good for the police either.

But this is, in my opinion, ways away from the case being discussed. Again you can't (well... apparently you can because people keep doing it but you shouldn't be able to) argue "Mistake of fact" and " Acted according to professional training" in the same breath as counter-balancing excuses for the same action.

If her "cop training" killed Jean, then she needs to answer for why her "cop training" didn't... know where she was at or perform proper follow up procedures.
Old 26th September 2019, 06:19 AM   #1204
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Mod InfoWhile this thread is shorter than where we normally split for length, with the trial getting underway it seemed a good place to start a continuation thread in the Trials & Errors forum. As with all continuation threads, any MA compliant post may be quoted from here over there.
Posted By:KMortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events