IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amber Guyger , Dallas incidents , murder cases , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incident , Texas cases

Old 26th September 2019, 12:31 PM   #41
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Not after those mothers found out that Guyger was such a slut.
LoL no kidding.

The feed from the channel I'm watching is just playing random clips now. Not sure if the trial is done or not, I think the prosecution rested.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:32 PM   #42
plague311
Great minds think...

Man, Drew saying that made me realize how awesome my mom was. I never got shot once for not picking up my clothes.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:48 PM   #43
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Man, Drew saying that made me realize how awesome my mom was. I never got shot once for not picking up my clothes.

And she probably only had to point a gun at you a couple times, right?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:51 PM   #44
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's like you've met her before.
Old 26th September 2019, 01:34 PM   #45
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

It's like you've met her before.
My kid finally picked up all her clothes from the floors of her rooms last night and did 3 loads of laundry. Good thing I didn't have to use a gun coz I don't own one.
Old 26th September 2019, 01:56 PM   #46
plague311
Great minds think...

Final update since the trial won't continue until tomorrow. This is per the link I've cited a few times, so I'm not taking any credit:

Quote:
1:28 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
The state rested their case.
Quote:
2:03 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
Defense began by asking the judge to render a direct verdict of not guilty on the murder charge, saying the state did not prove each element of the indictment and that Guyger did not knowingly and intentionally cause Botham Jean's death.
Quote:
2:04 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
The defense continued with their motion, saying if the direct verdict was granted, they wanted a direct verdict on manslaughter and criminal negligence, claiming the state had not proven any of the offenses.
Quote:
2:05 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
Judge Kemp denied all three of the defense's motions and ordered the court into recess until 8:30 a.m. Friday to allow the defense more time to prepare. Kemp said she wasn't sure the defense knew the state would rest their case today. The defense will be expected to call their first witness Friday morning at 8:30 a.m.
The trial is going to go on Saturday as well. It appears, if I'm reading this right, that the defense is a bit on edge, or they're just trying anything and everything, which is their job I guess.

ETA: I wasn't familiar so for those that aren't as well:

Quote:
A directed verdict is a ruling entered by a trial judge after determining that there is no legally sufficient evidentiary basis for a reasonable jury to reach a different conclusion. The trial court may grant a directed verdict either sua sponte or upon a motion by either party.

Last edited by plague311; 26th September 2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:00 PM   #47
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
My kid finally picked up all her clothes from the floors of her rooms last night and did 3 loads of laundry. Good thing I didn't have to use a gun coz I don't own one.

Ran out of stuff that wasn't too dirty to wear, did she?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:04 PM   #48
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Final update since the trial won't continue until tomorrow. This is per the link I've cited a few times, so I'm not taking any credit:

Quote:
1:28 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
The state rested their case.
Quote:
2:03 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
Defense began by asking the judge to render a direct verdict of not guilty on the murder charge, saying the state did not prove each element of the indictment and that Guyger did not knowingly and intentionally cause Botham Jean's death.
Quote:
2:04 P.M. CT - FRANK HEINZ
The defense continued with their motion, saying if the direct verdict was granted, they wanted a direct verdict on manslaughter and criminal negligence, claiming the state had not proven any of the offenses.
<snip>

The highlighted sort of suggests that verdicts for lesser charges may be available to the jury.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:13 PM   #49
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Ran out of stuff that wasn't too dirty to wear, did she?
Yep. And she was going out job hunting today.
Old 26th September 2019, 07:30 PM   #50
Whip
Graduate Poster

The trial is going to go on Saturday as well. It appears, if I'm reading this right, that the defense is a bit on edge, or they're just trying anything and everything, which is their job I guess.

ETA: I wasn't familiar so for those that aren't as well:
Asking for a direct verdict is pretty much SOP anymore.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 09:33 PM   #51
dejudge
Philosopher

Forget the lighting. Did she even have a 50-inch TV at that spot in her unit?
How can one forget the lighting if she claimed the apartment was dark? I have a 50 inch tv and when it is on I do not need to put on the living rooms lights to see furniture and equipment in the room.

In fact, the position of the 50 inch tv in Botham's living room, when on, would give very good lighting to see the back wall and lay out of the furniture when standing at the front door.
Amber Guyger should have immediately recognised that Botham's living room was not hers especially if she had time to talk to him and observe his movement.

It would appear to me that Amber Guyger would be lying if she claimed the room was dark now we know the 50 inch tv was on.

Last edited by dejudge; 26th September 2019 at 09:35 PM.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 10:19 PM   #52
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I believe that this screenshot is from bodycam. It shows the ottoman right in front of the couch where it would be expected, and the bowl is right there. We also see other differences from the pre-trial videos from Inside Edition and CNN. The pre-trial press footage also shows a huge pile of clothes on the couch which must have been put there by investigators or family after the incident.

I got this screenshot from the CBS video here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-g...oting-neighbor
Thanks. The ottoman looked like a table in the bodycam video. It was in a different position in the pre-trial video we saw.

So my theory that Jean was setting down the bowl was wrong.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:46 PM   #53
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Which has also pretty much been blown out of the water. She was making plans on her phone for later in the evening, and I assure you they weren't to go to bed. Though the bed would be in use.
Do you think Officer Rivera was lying when he said the text messages were flirting and not plans to meet up? That he had never been to her apartment? That they had not had sex in a long time?
Old 26th September 2019, 10:53 PM   #54
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Do you think Officer Rivera was lying when he said the text messages were flirting and not plans to meet up? That he had never been to her apartment? That they had not had sex in a long time?
Yes
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:05 PM   #55
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I'd like to know where the light switch is. I have never lived in a place that didn't have a light switch just inside the entrance. If most people thought something wasn't right as they entered their home, they would either back out or flip on the lights. Pulling a gun and opening fire is not -- usually -- the default action.
The bodycam video shows that when you are going into the apartment the door handle is on the right. The door opens to the left. Inside, on the right is a wall. It appears the light switch in on that wall immediately inside the door at about the level of the door handle.

I find it odd that she did not turn on the light. She had her vest in her right hand. She presumably put her key in the lock with her right hand. The door began to swing open. She left the keys in the lock.

If the door is open, a person would think that something is wrong. Maybe there is someone in the apartment. I would think the natural reaction would be to push the door open with the left arm while turning on the lights with the right. You want to see what is going on when you open that door.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:29 PM   #56
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I do feel sorry for her. Most of us don't start out the day thinking they would like to kill someone. However, I feel more sorry for the guy she shot.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:51 PM   #57
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I do feel sorry for her. Most of us don't start out the day thinking they would like to kill someone. However, I feel more sorry for the guy she shot.
Sincerely curious, in what way do you feel sorry for her?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:14 AM   #58
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sincerely curious, in what way do you feel sorry for her?

Most of us don't start the day thinking that we are going to totally **** it up and kill someone.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:05 AM   #59
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Most of us don't start the day thinking that we are going to totally **** it up and kill someone.
Because, and follow me here, most of us don't wind up killing people sitting at home in their own apartments eating ice cream.

"Put yourself in their shoes" can't work when I literally can't imagine myself in their shoes.
Old 27th September 2019, 06:55 AM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who can't feel anymore. I'm more sorry for his family, and want her to be punished to police officers don't feel invincible when they **** up like this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:09 AM   #61
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So they recovered some of Amber Guyger's deleted medias posts.

Some gems.

A meme picture that read "I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me since I'm already dressed for your funeral."

A meme of a Minion with the caption "No one ever thanks me having the patience to not kill them."

A stock photo of a Navy SEAL with the caption "Stay Low, Go Fast. Kill First, Die Last. One Shot, One Kill. No Luck, All Skill."

A "Blue Lives Matter" themed meme with the caption "If I have to explain sometimes there's justice and sometimes there's just us, you wouldn't understand."

None of those have aged well.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:23 AM   #62
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
How can one forget the lighting if she claimed the apartment was dark? I have a 50 inch tv and when it is on I do not need to put on the living rooms lights to see furniture and equipment in the room.

In fact, the position of the 50 inch tv in Botham's living room, when on, would give very good lighting to see the back wall and lay out of the furniture when standing at the front door.
Amber Guyger should have immediately recognised that Botham's living room was not hers especially if she had time to talk to him and observe his movement.

It would appear to me that Amber Guyger would be lying if she claimed the room was dark now we know the 50 inch tv was on.
The amount of light emitted by the TV would depend on what was being broadcast. Bright scenes are bright and dark scenes are dark. We don't know what was on the screen for those few seconds and can't really say that the living room would not have been dark.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:26 AM   #63
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Either way is an admission of guilt. If was coal miners lunchbox at midnight level of pitch black in the apartment she couldn't identify the target, which is a prerequisite for shooting someone in every possible situation.

If there was enough light for her to identify the target, then all the rest of her excuses go out the window.

Again this is all a red herring, a hair being split where she's still guilty on either side of it introduced only as a stalling and distraction tactic.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:34 AM   #64
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So they recovered some of Amber Guyger's deleted medias posts.

Some gems.

A meme picture that read "I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me since I'm already dressed for your funeral."

A meme of a Minion with the caption "No one ever thanks me having the patience to not kill them."

A stock photo of a Navy SEAL with the caption "Stay Low, Go Fast. Kill First, Die Last. One Shot, One Kill. No Luck, All Skill."

A "Blue Lives Matter" themed meme with the caption "If I have to explain sometimes there's justice and sometimes there's just us, you wouldn't understand."

None of those have aged well.
Where on earth was she posting this stuff? A cop who makes public "jokes" about killing people is too dumb to be on the street.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:35 AM   #65
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I hope she is found guilty. Well, because she is. It is annoying to watch her do her soft-spoken, innocent act in the trial I am watching.. She murdered a man, it is that simple.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:36 AM   #66
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Where on earth was she posting this stuff? A cop who makes public "jokes" about killing people is too dumb to be on the street.
Looks like Pinterest from the screenshots.

https://newsone.com/3887986/amber-gu...l-media-posts/
Old 27th September 2019, 08:25 AM   #67
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She's on the stand now.

"Let me see your hands! Let me see your hands!" was her verbal command to him. His response was to walk towards her and say "Hey! Hey!"
Old 27th September 2019, 08:44 AM   #68
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

She's on the stand now.

"Let me see your hands! Let me see your hands!" was her verbal command to him. His response was to walk towards her and say "Hey! Hey!"

So if her defense is that it was too dark for her to see who she was shooting, how could she see his hands?
Old 27th September 2019, 08:58 AM   #69
Joe Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who can't feel anymore. I'm more sorry for his family, and want her to be punished to police officers don't feel invincible when they **** up like this.

I think it's possible to have some small degree of sympathy for her and still think she's guilty as **** and needs to be locked away. Same idea behind that one cop giving her a hug at the scene. I don't know what he was thinking but if a friend or acquaintance of mine who wasn't irredeemably evil made a huge mistake that cost someone their life I think I'd probably try to extend some small comfort to them as they got ready to have their own life (deservedly) ruined.

To be perfectly clear : what she did in this case was utterly inexcusable, she needs to serve time in jail, and she should never be permitted to own a firearm again given her colossal error in judgement. And of course the lion's share of concern is over the innocent victim who did nothing wrong and was shot dead in his own home. But most people aren't puppy-kickingly evil through and through, so for me at least it's possible to have some sympathy that she ruined her life. It'd be far easier if all criminals were nothing more than the sum total of their criminality. Life isn't always quite so tidy.

edit to add : the chest thumping posts of hers on social media of course diminish that sympathy. So maybe the above is meant more in a generalized way and not quite as much specific to her.

Last edited by Joe Random; 27th September 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:01 AM   #70
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

TIL 'hey hey' is a southwestern colloquialism for 'get your crazy ass out of here bitch!'
Old 27th September 2019, 09:03 AM   #71
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Same idea behind that one cop giving her a hug at the scene.
As I understand it, the first cops responding thought it was a typical "officer-involved" shooting. They would instinctively take the side of the fellow officer. The scandal is that after the facts were known, the cops dragged their feet as much as they thought they could get away with.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:08 AM   #72
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
TIL 'hey hey' is a southwestern colloquialism for 'get your crazy ass out of here bitch!'
Ah, a simple miscommunication. In the Islands, it's a colloquialism for "Blessed greetings! Welcome to my humble home! Please allow me to take your coat!"
Old 27th September 2019, 09:12 AM   #73
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, a simple miscommunication. In the Islands, it's a colloquialism for "Blessed greetings! Welcome to my humble home! Please allow me to take your coat!"
Returned with the traditional Texas salutation of 'DIE MOTHER ******!!!!!!'
Old 27th September 2019, 09:13 AM   #74
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

on direct Guyger talked about how quickly the shooting happened. she also said Botham was moving around. I think she even said pacing. how much could he have been moving given how quickly it happened?
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #75
chrispy
Graduate Poster

The prosecutor is ripping her apart. SHe is not holding up well in the face of some pretty intense questioning.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:16 AM   #76
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So if her defense is that it was too dark for her to see who she was shooting, how could she see his hands?
Her claim is to be able to see his silhouette. The TV is creating some light but the rest of the place is dark.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:16 AM   #77
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
The prosecutor is ripping her apart. SHe is not holding up well in the face of some pretty intense questioning.
Holding up longer than Jean did at his.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #78
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She insists that he was upright when she shot him.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #79
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Holding up longer than Jean did at his.
Yeah. Prosecution even asked why she felt like she didn't want to be alone, yet felt OK leaving Jean alone while she texted her boyfriend.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:21 AM   #80
chrispy
Graduate Poster

She insists that he was upright when she shot him.
They nailed her on the "I did CPR" lie, the "he was upright and moving at me" lie, the "I texted my boyfriend AFTER my back-up arrived", etc, etc...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors