IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Closed Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 04:19 PM   #3441
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
So - given that both the lawsuit as well as the criminal charge against Gumbel & Sollecito were withdrawn........

Where does that leave Mignini in terms of exposure to a criminal charge against the offer that he made to Sollecito?
There is no claim by RS that Mignini actually made an offer, only that his family was told by others that Mignini might be interested. IOW, only local gossip among the legal community.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 04:25 PM   #3442
Numbers
Philosopher

So - given that both the lawsuit as well as the criminal charge against Gumbel & Sollecito were withdrawn........

Where does that leave Mignini in terms of exposure to a criminal charge against the offer that he made to Sollecito?
1. What's the statute of limitations for the alleged crime?
2. What's the evidence for the alleged crime? Would anyone testify that Mignini (or any person in authority) made such an offer?
3. Would an Italian prosecutor be likely to look into this, despite the legal obligation of an Italian prosecutor to investigate all alleged crimes?
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 04:36 PM   #3443
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
whoanellie, you are entirely correct that plea deals that reduce an accomplice's sentence in exchange for cooperation in the case, including testimony against alleged co-conspirators, are indeed common and legal in the US, as long as such deals are acknowledged in court, and they are commonly so acknowledged. The accomplice's testimony is supposed to be truthful.

My statements on this topic for the US were confused.

What I meant was that plea deals where the alleged accomplice - or a jailhouse "snitch" - testifies falsely against an alleged co-conspirator - or an accused person confined in the jail with the "snitch" - by an inducement, such as a promise, not disclosed in court, of a reduced sentence, is potentially prosecutorial misconduct.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Now I understand what you were trying to say. thanks.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 12:24 PM   #3444
Caper
Philosopher

Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 09:47 AM   #3445
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Exactly.
Old 30th October 2020, 10:31 AM   #3446
schmidt61
Scholar

Exactly.
What are talking about "Willis?"

Last edited by schmidt61; 30th October 2020 at 10:33 AM.
schmidt61 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 03:59 PM   #3447
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Thirteen years

Thirteen years ago, Rudy Guede snuffed out a life, and started a process which destroyed other lives.
Old 1st November 2020, 05:13 PM   #3448
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Thirteen years ago, Rudy Guede snuffed out a life, and started a process which destroyed other lives.
I thought about that today...even though my mind's been preoccupied with thoughts of possibly losing my own husband on Nov.1 as he was rushed to the hospital with an abdominal aneurysm this morning. Thankfully, it looks like he's going to be ok as it's only a tear and not a rupture but it scared the hell out of me.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 08:01 PM   #3449
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I thought about that today...even though my mind's been preoccupied with thoughts of possibly losing my own husband on Nov.1 as he was rushed to the hospital with an abdominal aneurysm this morning. Thankfully, it looks like he's going to be ok as it's only a tear and not a rupture but it scared the hell out of me.
I hope you and your husband are doing better.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 08:03 PM   #3450
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Very glad to hear that your husband should be ok!
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 09:12 PM   #3451
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He is doing better, thanks.

Mod InfoThread continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 3rd November 2020 at 04:44 AM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors