IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "PlanDemic" , anti-vaxxers , Coronavirus conspiracies , documentaries , Judy Mikovits , vaccination

Old 10th May 2020, 10:33 PM   #41
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
So, do you think "free speech" should include the right to show videos telling children that jumping off three-story buildings is fun, or that they should swallow a whole handful of ibuprofen or Tylenol when they get headaches?

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
No one has the right to yell fire in a crowded theater. This is just the right-wing version of eating Tide Pods.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Great, I just reported this video to Youtube.

Agreed.

But I'd not go so far as to get down with y'all, look silly while licking boots.

I cannot believe that you even listened to Polly, because in this case all she did is what she usually does, very well.

She researched the relevant organizations, the players, their history and connections, and reveal who benefits and how. She plays clips of things they have said that fit together as puzzle pieces.

Following the money. Exposing the scams.

So he gleefully "reports" her to fuhrer. Brown shirt style.

Oh yes it does look like that.

Last edited by Bubba; 10th May 2020 at 10:39 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 10:49 PM   #42
Bubba
Philosopher

Fauci said "I love Hillary"

All you need to know.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 11:45 PM   #43
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Its people like Bubba who frequently need to be reminded of is that what they incorrectly claim is infringing of their freedom of speech is actually no such thing. Freedom is Speech is a specific thing, it is not some general right for everyone to say what they damned well please.

First of all, free speech is not absolute - as the famous American Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said in US v Schenck over 100 years ago... "falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic" is dangerous and false and is therefore not protected speech. 100 years later, this is still true.

Secondly, every western government has a law that is similar to the wording of the US Constitution, which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." Note that it is only goverments that are inhibited from infringing your right to free speech, it does not apply to privately owned platforms.

1. When a government or agents of a government infringe upon your Constitutional or legal right of Free Speech... that IS censorship.

2. When a government or agents of a government prevent you from seeing, hearing or reading things that you have a right to see, hear or read, that IS censorship.

3. When a private individual, group or business choose not to say things they do not agree with, that is NOT censorship, that is the individual's right to decide what they say.

4. When a privately owned News organisation chooses not to publish information they do not agree with, that is NOT censorship, that is the News organisation's right to decide what they publish.

5. When a privately owned internet platform chooses not to allow content that violates their terms of service to remain on their platform, that is NOT censorship, that is their right to decide what they allow to be hosted on their platform.

Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc are all privately owned. THEY set their terms of service, THEY get to decide if a content provider they are hosting is violating their terms of service, and they have the right to take down that content and remove the provider from their platform. That is NOT censorship, that is THEM exercising THEIR RIGHTS!

People have come to take these internet platforms for granted, as if they have some kind of right to everything on them, and the right to say what they like on them. The reality is that users of these platforms have no rights whatsoever with respect to those platforms. They use those platforms at the discretion of the platform owner.

NO-ONE has a right to a Facebook account
NO-ONE has a right to a Google account
NO-ONE has a right to upload videos to YouTube

All of these things are allowed by permission of the owners of those platforms - having them are NOT rights, they are privileges for which the owners are entitled to set terms and conditions that you must comply with - violate them and they are quite within their rights to take your information down and terminate your account.

Similarly, Newspapers and Radio and Television stations are not mandated to disseminate anything they do not want to. Just because Google or YouTube or Facebook kick you off their platform does not mean they are infringing your free speech rights. You are perfectly entitled to make your own website, start your own newspaper, radio or television station and say anything you like. It is only when the government shuts down your platform that your right Freedom of Speech is being infringed.

I strongly support the owners of websites such as Google and Facebook who de-platform nutcase conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones, David Icke, David Irving, Louis Farrakhan and now this stupid Mikovits woman. I also strongly support them removing White Supremacists, Nazis and Anti-Semites from their platforms. If these scumbags want to disseminate their vile invective, they can do it on their own dime.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 10:59 AM   #44
Bubba
Philosopher

for the record Smartcooky

Numerous times here I have stated my view is that the private platforms are free to censor all they want. But because they have become the de facto town square, they should not be allowed to censor anyone.

Your president last year said he would look into this issue when political voices complained about being silenced "to protect the online community"

Its 99% political. You are on the wrong side of history.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its people like Bubba who frequently need to be reminded of is that what they incorrectly claim is infringing of their freedom of speech is actually no such thing. Freedom is Speech is a specific thing, it is not some general right for everyone to say what they damned well please.

First of all, free speech is not absolute - as the famous American Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said in US v Schenck over 100 years ago... "falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic" is dangerous and false and is therefore not protected speech. 100 years later, this is still true.

Secondly, every western government has a law that is similar to the wording of the US Constitution, which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." Note that it is only goverments that are inhibited from infringing your right to free speech, it does not apply to privately owned platforms.

1. When a government or agents of a government infringe upon your Constitutional or legal right of Free Speech... that IS censorship.

2. When a government or agents of a government prevent you from seeing, hearing or reading things that you have a right to see, hear or read, that IS censorship.

3. When a private individual, group or business choose not to say things they do not agree with, that is NOT censorship, that is the individual's right to decide what they say.

4. When a privately owned News organisation chooses not to publish information they do not agree with, that is NOT censorship, that is the News organisation's right to decide what they publish.

5. When a privately owned internet platform chooses not to allow content that violates their terms of service to remain on their platform, that is NOT censorship, that is their right to decide what they allow to be hosted on their platform.

Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc are all privately owned. THEY set their terms of service, THEY get to decide if a content provider they are hosting is violating their terms of service, and they have the right to take down that content and remove the provider from their platform. That is NOT censorship, that is THEM exercising THEIR RIGHTS!

People have come to take these internet platforms for granted, as if they have some kind of right to everything on them, and the right to say what they like on them. The reality is that users of these platforms have no rights whatsoever with respect to those platforms. They use those platforms at the discretion of the platform owner.

All of these things are allowed by permission of the owners of those platforms - having them are NOT rights, they are privileges for which the owners are entitled to set terms and conditions that you must comply with - violate them and they are quite within their rights to take your information down and terminate your account.

Similarly, Newspapers and Radio and Television stations are not mandated to disseminate anything they do not want to. Just because Google or YouTube or Facebook kick you off their platform does not mean they are infringing your free speech rights. You are perfectly entitled to make your own website, start your own newspaper, radio or television station and say anything you like. It is only when the government shuts down your platform that your right Freedom of Speech is being infringed.

I strongly support the owners of websites such as Google and Facebook who de-platform nutcase conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones, David Icke, David Irving, Louis Farrakhan and now this stupid Mikovits woman. I also strongly support them removing White Supremacists, Nazis and Anti-Semites from their platforms. If these scumbags want to disseminate their vile invective, they can do it on their own dime.

Last edited by Bubba; 11th May 2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11th May 2020, 11:15 AM   #45
Bubba
Philosopher

In other words the item below is a symptom of bigoted ignorance:

Quote:

Old 11th May 2020, 11:19 AM   #46
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
for the record Smartcooky
Your president last year said ...
I am pretty sure it wasn't Smartcooky's president.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:03 PM   #47
Axxman300
Illuminator

Agreed.

But I'd not go so far as to get down with y'all, look silly while licking boots.

I cannot believe that you even listened to Polly, because in this case all she did is what she usually does, very well.

She researched the relevant organizations, the players, their history and connections, and reveal who benefits and how. She plays clips of things they have said that fit together as puzzle pieces.

Following the money. Exposing the scams.

So he gleefully "reports" her to fuhrer. Brown shirt style.

Oh yes it does look like that.

What do you care? You voted for Trump, he's the fascist.

Nothing she "reported" has anything to do with COVID-19, and everything to do with right-wing asshattery. Nobody was expecting a pandemic, on paper maybe, but not in any actionable way, and certainly not in 2020. This is an election year, President Clownstick had taken credit for an economy he didn't create, and now that economy is in the toilet. Since 1999, science denialism has become a well-oiled machine used by fringe factions on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. COVID-19 is being played by anti-vaxxers (who populate the intellectually inbred of both sides), and apologists for the POTUS.

The people in charge of the response to COVID-19 just happened to be working, or in office when it rolled in. This is why people should pay attention to their candidates instead of using knee-jerk reactions to base their votes upon. The "Deep State" is the engine that is supposed to handle large-scale disasters. This was by design to protect the American people from the idiots they vote into office. Not just Donny Cheeto, Pelosi, Schumer, Cuomo, and in my case - Newsom. The GOP has gutted it.

By lowering its standards to almost zero to appease the Man-Babies of the Tea Party, the GOP has made COVID-19 the nightmare it is in this country. In California we are stuck with a Democrat-led state because the GOP will not run a candidate with any pragmatism, or intellectual stability. The days of Pete Wilson, Deukmalian, and Ronald Regan are gone, and with them is a Republican party decent people were proud to vote for.

The irony is that COVID-19 targets Trumps demographics and kills them. If liberals were real monsters we'd have kept everything open, and we would have 300,000+ dead in the US now.

By turning COVID-19 into a right-wing cause it undermines everything the GOP used to stand for. Women get abortions because they are not emotionally ready or FINANCIALLY capable of having a baby. But now babies with various healt problems will die because "The economy can't take it". Now the GOP is aborting babies retroactively as a matter of economic, and Constitutional policy.

That's the other side of that coin.

I'd rather not play it. COVID-19 sucks. It's hard enough knowing that 200,000 Americans won't live to see Christmas. Making it political is petty on both sides.
Old 11th May 2020, 02:23 PM   #48
Bubba
Philosopher

No I did not vote for Trump.

I would now. The democrats dont have a candidate anyway. I was a liberal Democrat once upon a time.

Old time democrats like I was have been hung out to dry nowadays.

They have to go along with cuckoo or ...what?
Old 11th May 2020, 02:28 PM   #49
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I am pretty sure it wasn't Smartcooky's president.
Oh

He canadian or russian? A Fin?

A WOP ? "With Out Papers", said the rubber stamp used at Ellis Island when arrivals had no paper.

For some reason WOP stuck on the Italians. Maybe they were more numerous.
Old 11th May 2020, 02:33 PM   #50
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
So does this run in conjunction with the "this disease doesn't exist" and "this is not a virus it's caused by 5G" or is it a replacement?

I'm happy for anti-vaxxers not to vaxx. Darwin and all that.
I'm still in disbelief that the 5G thing even got put forth.
Old 11th May 2020, 02:34 PM   #51
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

The Atlantic: If Someone Shares the ‘Plandemic’ Video, How Should You Respond?

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 02:36 PM   #52
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that YouTube, FB and Vimeo are banning this?
I totally see it from a CYA point of view, and I don't necessarily disagree with their decision to remove it. I'm all for free speech, but there's a fuzzy line in there somewhere, where it starts to drift into the content being actually dangerous. This is borderline - it's stupid, I think, but it's not as clear cut as some of the earlier content that was being removed, pushing stories about curing yourself by drinking bleach or other total snake-oil solutions that were outright dangerous.
Old 11th May 2020, 02:55 PM   #53
eerok
Quixoticist

It's okay to be crazy on social media, but stating that wearing a mask causes people to infect themselves is not just batcrap insane, it's a hazard to public safety. It's not okay to cause harm and death.
Old 11th May 2020, 03:36 PM   #54
zorro99
Muse

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
I see this article suggests listening, indulging and patience but my tendency is to laugh at, mock and ridicule.
Old 11th May 2020, 03:38 PM   #55
sackett
Philosopher

Bubba's called it! Social medioid wiseass richboy geekers got NO RIGHT to shut down nobody for telling the truth or anything else the way they see it! Buncha fake Demmycrats censoring God-Fearing Patriots right out in de factual town square!

Pretty soon, there's gunna be a law. A buncha the fellahs'll be coming around to talk ta them wiseguy liberlz. Sum rubber hoses 'n castor oil, 'n right away we gunna have

FREEDUM!

Muh.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 05:31 PM   #56
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Numerous times here I have stated my view is that the private platforms are free to censor all they want.
Okay?

But because they have become the de facto town square, they should not be allowed to censor anyone.
So says you, doesn't make it true. There are many other platforms to post your message on.

Your president last year said he would look into this issue when political voices complained about being silenced "to protect the online community"
It is cute that you believe him.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 06:53 PM   #57
eerok
Quixoticist

Its 99% political. You are on the wrong side of history.
If you think public health is merely political, you're on the wrong side of reality. People are dying. Being stupid will kill more people.
Old 11th May 2020, 07:06 PM   #58
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that YouTube, FB and Vimeo are banning this?
Not! One! Bit!

As I keep pointing out, to people who should know better, they are NOT censoring or banning anything. What they are doing is exercising THEIR right to choose what they will allow their good name to be associated with. I see no difference whatsoever between taking this piece of dangerous conspiracy theory crap off the platform, and removing Alex Jones, Louis Farrakan and David Icke - or not allowing people to upload terrorist training videos such as how to make bombs or how to chop people's heads off with a machete.

From my perspective, anyone uploading this video should have it removed and their account terminated.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 09:16 PM   #59
Bubba
Philosopher

Not! One! Bit!

As I keep pointing out, to people who should know better, they are NOT censoring or banning anything. What they are doing is exercising THEIR right to choose what they will allow their good name to be associated with. I see no difference whatsoever between taking this piece of dangerous conspiracy theory crap off the platform, and removing Alex Jones, Louis Farrakan and David Icke - or not allowing people to upload terrorist training videos such as how to make bombs or how to chop people's heads off with a machete.

From my perspective, anyone uploading this video should have it removed and their account terminated.

But they are not stopping there. Their "exercising their right" is 99.9% politically motivated.

Yup they are within their rights to silence voices they disagree with during election cycle and promote voices they like during election cycle.

Time will tell.

and banning that video is also politically motivated under the guise of health and safety. Hogwash. Its all about harming Trump.

Anyone not seeing that is not paying attention

Last edited by Bubba; 11th May 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11th May 2020, 11:02 PM   #60
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

But because they (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) have become the de facto town square, they should not be allowed to censor anyone..........You are on the wrong side of history.
So...... in the 1940's, when radio was the "de facto town square", RCA (Radio Corporation of America) should have given airtime to complete idiots?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940's radio.jpg (55.2 KB, 1 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 03:57 AM   #61
Disbelief
Master Poster

But they are not stopping there. Their "exercising their right" is 99.9% politically motivated.

Yup they are within their rights to silence voices they disagree with during election cycle and promote voices they like during election cycle.

Time will tell.

and banning that video is also politically motivated under the guise of health and safety. Hogwash. Its all about harming Trump.

Anyone not seeing that is not paying attention
It isn't politically motivated when the video is one big lie. No reason to leave a video up that is potentially dangerous by lying about wearing masks.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 04:28 AM   #62
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Dear Bubba, to the majority of the world's population, who just happen to live outside USA!, USA!, USA!, that Mikovits decided to publish her book this year and someone decided to make a documentary related to it is of far more relevance than your partisan view of what folk can/should say or do in one of your election years. Mikovits has been spouting nonsensical bollocks for years and this particular piece just happens to be rather more dangerous to more folk than her previous nonsense. No-one is stopping the book being distributed, just certain platforms deciding they don't want to be associated with dangerous lies.

Smartcooky doesn't have a president, rather a prime minister and a seperate head of state, both of whom are female, which he's cunningly hidden in plain sight in his "Location". But that would involve moving your eyes a tad to the left...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 10:39 AM   #63
Carrot Flower King
Muse

A bit more from Orac about the level of bolleaux being spouted this time by Mikovits: https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020...judy-mikovits/

I still fail to see much of a problem with someone/anyone deciding that they don't want their name associated or provide a platform for this level of dishonesty.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 12:02 PM   #64
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
So...... in the 1940's, when radio was the "de facto town square", RCA (Radio Corporation of America) should have given airtime to complete idiots?
Wrong.

Radio was more like the voice of authority.

Later when local-audience-phone-in-and-get-on-air came along, those shows were more like the town square.

Even then, the voice of authority ruled the airwaves via the 3X daily news from the Big 3.

When call-in radio later became a national 'town square', they eventually went the way of "Private, Keep Off" if you voice ideas they dislike.

The beauty of radio was that small non affiliated stations were mostly free to say whatever they want.

Last edited by Bubba; 12th May 2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:18 PM   #65
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
It isn't politically motivated when the video is one big lie. No reason to leave a video up that is potentially dangerous by lying about wearing masks.

Really ?
Old 12th May 2020, 12:46 PM   #66
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Really ?
Crowded theatre. "FIRE"
Old 12th May 2020, 04:37 PM   #67
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Crowded theatre. "FIRE"

Hogwash rationale for suppressing voices you dislike for political reasons.
Old 12th May 2020, 04:47 PM   #68
eerok
Quixoticist

Politicizing science and then completely chucking the science aside is not a good look.
Old 12th May 2020, 07:04 PM   #69
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Radio was more like the voice of authority.
Would that be the Goon Show or Jack Benny on radio?

The beauty of radio was that small non affiliated stations were mostly free to say whatever they want.
You mean like individual websites as opposed to Facebook?

Do you often shoot down your own confused arguments so quickly?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 07:51 PM   #70
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Do you often shoot down your own confused arguments so quickly?[/color]

All. The. Time.

Or as we used to say in the military, its his S.O.P.
Old 12th May 2020, 08:51 PM   #71
EHocking
Philosopher

My interpretation of that acronym would go straight to AAH
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 11:05 PM   #72
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
My interpretation of that acronym would go straight to AAH
Then you obviously were not in the military (or aviation)
Old 12th May 2020, 11:08 PM   #73
EHocking
Philosopher

Then you obviously were not in the military (or aviation)
Oh, I understand the standard interpretation of that TLA.
I was referring to the interpretation of it regarding the poster you were referring to.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 11:36 PM   #74
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Would that be the Goon Show or Jack Benny on radio?

You mean like individual websites as opposed to Facebook?

Do you often shoot down your own confused arguments so quickly?
This. Trumpkins, conservatives, conspiracy theories, and far-righters are free to make their own social media platforms the way they made Conservapedia and Metapedia when the original Wiki's facts weren't what they wanted them to be.

There are some Facebook spin-offs like VK, and video hosting alternatives ranging from YouPorn to Vimeo, so in all honesty, I'm surprised the conservatives haven't just started TrumpBook and AltTube a long time ago. (Unless they have and I missed it).

If the porn industry can do it, surely so can the trumpkins.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 11:50 PM   #75
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Vaguely true. The private ownership of the forums is, as a rationale, much stronger.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 01:12 AM   #76
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Vaguely true. The private ownership of the forums is, as a rationale, much stronger.
Yeah, but again, Bubba completely misrepresents the situation.

"Suppressing voices you dislike for political reasons" is, simply put, not what is happening here. Sure, if the US Goverment instructed Facebook/Youtube to take down content THEY didn't want the public to see, THAT would be suppression, and perhaps a violation of the content owner's 1A rights or right to free speech.

However, that is not what happened here. The owners of Facebook/YouTube have the same rights to freedom of speech as anyone else. They are under no obligation to say stuff or be a conduit for stuff they not agree with. Accusing them of "censorship" or "suppressing information" is no different from a user here telling me that I am "suppressing voices I dislike for political reasons" by not linking to this video. I think the mods would (rightly) put my post into Deep Storage and card me if I were to try.

On top of that, quite aside from everything else, content hosts such as Facebook/Youtube could leave themselves open to lawsuits by not taking Mikovits' tinfoil hat lunacy down. One of the reasons why they took down Alex Jones was because of the Sandy Hook lawsuits - they understandably didn't want to get caught up in that particular cluster-****!
Old 13th May 2020, 02:42 AM   #77
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oh

He canadian or russian? A Fin?

A WOP ? "With Out Papers", said the rubber stamp used at Ellis Island when arrivals had no paper.

For some reason WOP stuck on the Italians. Maybe they were more numerous.
Can you read? Smartcooky's location is right there under his avatar.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 03:50 AM   #78
Disbelief
Master Poster

Really ?
I don't think I stuttered.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:18 PM   #79
IsThisTheLife
Muse

It became glaringly obvious some time ago that antitrust legislation is urgently needed to deal with the tech or 'social media giants'.

Like that's going to happen any time soon.
Old 13th May 2020, 09:42 PM   #80
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Can you read? Smartcooky's location is right there under his avatar.
He just cannot bring himself to look to the "left"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories