IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags California cases , death penalty , murder cases , scott peterson

Old 24th August 2020, 11:30 AM   #1
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Scott Peterson DP over turned.

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...e1HVYIJUAC5Ws4

Peterson is crying that he had an "unfair" verdict, still claiming innocence.

I don't get it. He murdered his wife and baby. Yes Scott, there was massive publicity. That, in no way, made your trial unfair. The publicity resulted from the horrific murders you committed. Suck it up.
Old 24th August 2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm surprised they overturned it. I thought the reasonings were pretty weak. Hopefully there aren't jail groupies willing to contribute to his new bail, or maybe the judge will order no bail.

Whoops, never mind. They only overturned his death sentence, not his conviction. I didn't know what "DP" meant.

My brain isn't functioning. Death Penalty, d'oh.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th August 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 11:57 AM   #3
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

I don't get it. He murdered his wife and baby. Yes Scott, there was massive publicity. That, in no way, made your trial unfair. The publicity resulted from the horrific murders you committed. Suck it up.

Well, reading that link makes it very clear that the death sentence was overturned by the CA SC because the judge made significant and reversible errors in jury selection for the sentencing (penalty) phase. His conviction is not affected in any way by this ruling.

The laws and criminal codes relating to trials and trial procedures are there for good reasons. Fundamentally, they are there to (try to) ensure that both the defendant(s) and the State can have as fair a trial as possible. And there have to be proportionate sanctions if those laws and codes are not properly observed.

In this case, the CA SC ruled that the trial judge had made a significant error in the way in which he oversaw the selection of the sentencing jury: specifically, he dismissed potential jurors who said they disagreed in principle with the death penalty but would nevertheless pledge to follow the law and vote to impose the DP if the evidence warranted it.

The State still has the option of requesting a new penalty phase - one in which the rules are followed properly. On the one hand, if they feel the citizens of California want this man executed, they should make such a request - and after all, they're not going to end up with a lesser sentence than the one Peterson has now received, given the nature of the case. But on the other hand, a repeat penalty phase will mean a significant additional cost and time-sink for the courts, and it also has the obvious potential of causing additional suffering for those who were touched by the crime. So......
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 12:01 PM   #4
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

As LJ has pointed out the death penalty was overturned, not the conviction. The California Supreme Court rejected Peterson's argument that the conviction should be overturned because of pre-trial publicity.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
As LJ has pointed out the death penalty was overturned, not the conviction. The California Supreme Court rejected Peterson's argument that the conviction should be overturned because of pre-trial publicity.
In practice, in California there is no death penalty. No has has been executed since 2006, and there are over 700 inmates on death row. Apart from moral and ethical objections to the death penalty, it's probably a practical mistake to sentence someone to death. It extends a complex and expensive appeals process for no purpose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita..._in_California
https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-death-row/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 02:47 PM   #6
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry if my poorly written post implied that his conviction was over turned. It wasn't, and never will be. And, as has been pointed out already, taking the death penalty off the table means nothing. He would never have made it to execution anyway. No one in California will, regardless of the crime, regardless of how horrific it was.
Old 24th August 2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry if my poorly written post implied that his conviction was over turned. It wasn't, and never will be. And, as has been pointed out already, taking the death penalty off the table means nothing. He would never have made it to execution anyway. No one in California will, regardless of the crime, regardless of how horrific it was.
If he was innocent, and in Texas, he would be pushing up daisies by now.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 04:09 PM   #8
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Which is why I'm okay with any and all death penalties being overturned. I'm not sure about this case. I was aware of it but I was in Iraq at the time and not really following it. Generally though our track record on death penalty cases has not been stellar and as mentioned above there are really no prospects that California will go back to using it.
Old 25th August 2020, 12:04 AM   #9
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

He can either request the death penalty, or lick the road clean in Death Valley in mid-summer. Whichever he thinks is the lesser punishment.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2020, 01:17 PM   #10
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

If he was innocent
Which he isn’t
and in Texas, he would be pushing up daisies by now.
Thank goodness. They should let Sharon Rocha throw the switch.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2020, 02:26 PM   #11
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

He is not innocent, but if in Texas, I doubt he would be "pushing up daisies by now". Case in point, Darlie Routier. Guilty of savagely slaughtering her two little boys, and she is still - unfortunately - around.
Old 5th September 2020, 02:58 PM   #12
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

The wrong Carlos?

He is not innocent, but if in Texas, I doubt he would be "pushing up daisies by now". Case in point, Darlie Routier. Guilty of savagely slaughtering her two little boys, and she is still - unfortunately - around.
Texas executed Cameron Todd Willingham, Larry Swearingen, and Carlos DeLuna. The cases against each of these three look extremely questionable. Two of the three have been the subject of threads here, but the Cards DeLuna case has not; that is why I provided a link.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 5th September 2020 at 03:00 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2020, 03:15 PM   #13
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Texas executed Cameron Todd Willingham, Larry Swearingen, and Carlos DeLuna. The cases against each of these three look extremely questionable. Two of the three have been the subject of threads here, but the Cards DeLuna case has not; that is why I provided a link.
Chris, thank you. I am not familiar with those cases, but I will go back for the link to read about them.
Old 5th September 2020, 04:06 PM   #14
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Scott Peterson DP over turned.

Good. The Death Penalty is an abomination.

Quote:
If he is so obviously guilty, why does he still claim innocence? The possibilities are:-

1. He is a psychopath who cynically thinks he can get off by deceiving us.

2. He truly believes he is innocent, even though he did it.

3. He really is innocent, and the cops framed him.

From cases like Steven Avery we know that 3 is the most likely, but the other possibilities are worth exploring. What evidence do we have that he is a liar or deluded?

When a convicted person is actually guilty they generally accept the verdict, but occasionally they continue to profess their innocence despite the weight of evidence against them. This indicates a psychological problem that could be studied to better understand the criminal mind, perhaps even eventually allowing us to identify and treat 'at risk' people before they commit a heinous crime.

The Death Penalty is an abomination because it wastes a valuable resource which we could use to reduce crime and improve justice. If you think Scott Peterson deserves to die then you should be OK with him being subjected to experiments that would normally be deemed unethical.

Imagine having a simple, painless way to determine with absolute certainty whether a suspect is lying or telling the truth! It could make trials and errors a thing of the past and greatly improve confidence in the justice system. But to do that we need to study criminals like Scott Peterson, rather than just leaving them in jail to rot.

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 5th September 2020 at 04:09 PM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2020, 05:58 PM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
If he is so obviously guilty, why does he still claim innocence? The possibilities are:-

From cases like Steven Avery we know that 3 is the most likely, but the other possibilities are worth exploring. What evidence do we have that he is a liar or deluded?
I would say there are more possibilities than that. I remember the case being big news and also a favourite obsession of Larry King for a while - he seemed to have people connected to the case on his show all the time. I never really looked into it as most of what I could see was just finger pointing from Mark Geragos and maybe Nancy whatserface. I just quickly scrolled through the Wikipedia page on the subject.

I think it is quite likely that he committed the murder (someone must have), and continuing to proclaim innocence could indeed mean any of the 3 things you mentioned, but I would also think that if guilty he could also be ashamed of what he did. Having proclaimed his innocence so long and having people he loves believe in him would surely make it difficult to now say, "You know what, they were right, I did it!" As implausible as it might be that he is innocent, his continuing to assert that he is is probably all that family members might be holding on to.
Old 5th September 2020, 06:36 PM   #16
Elagabalus
Philosopher

When a convicted person is actually guilty they generally accept the verdict, but occasionally they continue to profess their innocence despite the weight of evidence against them. This indicates a psychological problem that could be studied to better understand the criminal mind, perhaps even eventually allowing us to identify and treat 'at risk' people before they commit a heinous crime.

The Death Penalty is an abomination because it wastes a valuable resource which we could use to reduce crime and improve justice. If you think Scott Peterson deserves to die then you should be OK with him being subjected to experiments that would normally be deemed unethical.

Imagine having a simple, painless way to determine with absolute certainty whether a suspect is lying or telling the truth! It could make trials and errors a thing of the past and greatly improve confidence in the justice system. But to do that we need to study criminals like Scott Peterson, rather than just leaving them in jail to rot.
1 and 2 have a little bit of overlap. If someone is a psychopath they know that they did it but it doesn't matter and that's why they should be set free.

I would say the Steven Avery case proves No. 1.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:02 AM   #17
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

A nice sensible post Roger
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:08 AM   #18
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
1 and 2 have a little bit of overlap. If someone is a psychopath they know that they did it but it doesn't matter and that's why they should be set free.

The problem there is that the evidence does not in any way match the prosecution theory. In Peterson it does seem to, and therefore his claim of innocence may be best explained by the support in continuance of doubters. (yes clumsy English). And this may well have saved his life, such as it is in prison.
Old 6th September 2020, 05:33 AM   #19
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

A series of articles at Psychology Today

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

For me the take-home message from the Avery cases is that if the police and prosecution think you did it, it does not matter whether you are actually guilty; they can make it seem as if you are. Sometimes conscious or unconscious bias convicts the innocent, and sometimes it convicts the guilty in a questionable manner. That is one reason why I am not nailing my colors to the mast on this case at present. Another is that former prosecutor Mark Godsey has expressed doubts about the safety of Mr. Peterson's conviction, in part upon what Mr. Godsey saw in 2016 as dubious forensic evidence.

"In the habeas petition filed by Scott’s lawyers that is currently pending in the California Supreme Court, nationally recognized experts who, in contrast to the prosecution’s expert at trial, have actually had extensive training and education in this particular forensic field have now contradicted the conclusions of the expert called by the prosecution at Scott’s trial."

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 6th September 2020 at 07:11 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 04:58 AM   #20
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Chris, thank you. I am not familiar with those cases, but I will go back for the link to read about them.
There is a further detail.
Texas is not where Scott Peterson would choose to be.
Rod Miller is a Texan patholigist and scientific fraudster.
He stated that a New Zealander for whom he orchestrated a conviction would have been executed in Texas, and that might be the only truth he ever spoke.
Old 9th September 2020, 07:59 PM   #21
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
For me the take-home message from the Avery cases is that if the police and prosecution think you did it, it does not matter whether you are actually guilty; they can make it seem as if you are.
To state the obvious...

That is their job. They investigate and, if the investigation causes them to believe you did it, they are tasked with proving it. It is the job of the defense to counter the prosecution’s theory/evidence and it is the job of the jury to seek the truth between the two positions.

Since all involved are humans, there is the possibility of error, in any of the steps of the process. It is, however, the process we have adopted and for the most part, it is a fairly good one.

In the Peterson case, if the expert testimony was subsequently determined to be flawed, then he deserves a retrial. That is the purpose of the multiple processes of appeals. I’m sure the result will be the same, even without the tidal, canine, and fetal growth testimonies. That is because Scott himself is his own worst enemy.

Last edited by Ampulla of Vater; 9th September 2020 at 08:01 PM.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 12:29 AM   #22
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
To state the obvious...

That is their job. They investigate and, if the investigation causes them to believe you did it, they are tasked with proving it. It is the job of the defense to counter the prosecution’s theory/evidence and it is the job of the jury to seek the truth between the two positions.

Since all involved are humans, there is the possibility of error, in any of the steps of the process. It is, however, the process we have adopted and for the most part, it is a fairly good one.
It depends how they do their job. US police investigators supposedly make a lot of use of the Reid Technique, which has a high level of built-in confirmation bias.
Old 10th September 2020, 05:14 AM   #23
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Berger v. United States

"The United States Attorney is the representative not of an ordinary party to a controversy, but of a sovereignty whose obligation to govern impartially is as compelling as its obligation to govern at all; and whose interest, therefore, in a criminal prosecution is not that it shall win a case, but that justice shall be done. As such, he is in a peculiar and very definite sense the servant of the law, the twofold aim of which is that guilt shall not escape or innocence suffer. He may prosecute with earnestness and vigor-- indeed, he should do so. But, while he may strike hard blows, he is not at liberty to strike foul ones. It is as much his duty to refrain from improper methods calculated to produce a wrongful conviction as it is to use every legitimate means to bring about a just one." link
Old 10th September 2020, 08:25 PM   #24
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

The problem there is that the evidence does not in any way match the prosecution theory. In Peterson it does seem to,
If anything the evidence matches too well. All this proves is that cops in the Peterson case did a good job of framing him. They know exactly what evidence they need, so not making the evidence match their theory would be an indication that they didn't manufacture it.

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 10th September 2020 at 08:26 PM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors