IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kyle Rittenhouse , murder cases

Old 11th September 2020, 02:35 AM   #81
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Perhaps to portray the shooter as a kid, to humanise him and to generate sympathy.

The victims are referred to by only their last names for the opposite reason - and to stress (((Rosenbaum)))
But even those who think it is clear cut murder are doing it so it doesn't seem to be anything to do whether you think he murdered someone or not.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 02:43 AM   #82
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Perhaps to portray the shooter as a kid, to humanise him and to generate sympathy.
The person who established this trend on the thread was SuburbanTurkey. In post #1 SuburbanTurkey refers first to Kyle Rittenhouse and then to just "Kyle". By post #7 SuburbanTurkey is talking about Kyle and Rosenbaum. By post #9 Thermal is referring to Kyle Rittenhouse as Captain Kyle. SuburbanTurkey does it again in post #10. smartcooky bucks the trend for 1 post in post #11

I don't think your explanation holds water.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 02:50 AM   #83
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The person who established this trend on the thread was SuburbanTurkey. In post #1 SuburbanTurkey refers first to Kyle Rittenhouse and then to just "Kyle". By post #7 SuburbanTurkey is talking about Kyle and Rosenbaum. By post #9 Thermal is referring to Kyle Rittenhouse as Captain Kyle. SuburbanTurkey does it again in post #10. smartcooky bucks the trend for 1 post in post #11

I don't think your explanation holds water.
Don't forget the adequately explained "Ky-Ky".
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:03 AM   #84
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Catching up on this thread and I noticed something that I find curious so I'm going to ask about it: Why are members referring to the killer by his first name but the dead by their last?
I refer to them all by their surnames, because I'm not too lazy type out their full names

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:10 AM   #85
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What was the alternative?
How about don't bring your ******* gun to a protest in the first place?

You start bringing guns to places where there is likely to be intensely conflicting attitudes, and its a recipe for disaster. People bring guns to these sorts of things for only two reasons

1. To participate in an intimidating dick wagging competition.

2. Because they intend to shoot people if things turn nasty.

Bringing the guns ramps up the tension and the fear. We have seen the result!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:29 AM   #86
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its not a protest, it's a riot. You can see that from the dumpster being set on fire and pushed towards a gas station that Rittenhouse put out. The "protesters" had also brought guns to the riot as we see with Grosskreutz.

You start bringing guns to places where there is likely to be intensely conflicting attitudes, and its a recipe for disaster. People bring guns to these sorts of things for only two reasons

I'm not at all sure that those are the only two reasons. What the situation needs is for the police to come in and arrest all the people engaged in public criminality and for the DA to prosecute them. At that point BLM can march up and down and do their thing, and the militia guys can either go home or march up and down and do their thing, and the police can stand in the middle and make sure nothing crazy happens.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 04:15 AM   #87
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

The test isn't going to be "is it possible that". So far the evidence we have backs up the defence claim that he had reason to fear for his life from Rosenbaum. Presumably at any trial we will have testimony about what happened and probably other video. I'm not sure where the certainty on the forum is coming from that Rosenbaum was merely intending to disarm Rittenhouse in the interests of public safety.

What has that got to do with anything?

Sure, but we also know that the protesters had at least one concealed illegally held pistol, don't we?

I suppose this is possible. I'm not sure that that changes anything if we are talking about his beliefs with respect to a claim of self defence.

How would this matter with respect to Rittenhouse's beliefs with respect to a claim of self defence?

Why would it matter if it is ever shown that there definitely was a gun, who had it, or the direction in which it was fired? We hear what sounds like a gun on multiple recordings, and have a witness on tape saying that they hear a shot just before the confrontation, in other words the story I'm presenting was what was understood by witnesses not involved with the shooting at the time.

More evidence will probably come out, so things may change, but for now I am baffled by your confidence in your narrative. It defies the evidence that we have.

It's relevant because Rittenhouse didn't shoot the gunman, he shot the unarmed Rosenbaum. Unless there's some evidence showing that the two men were attacking Rittenhouse as accomplices, the actions of a third party can't justify a self-defense killing. Rittenhouse may have been in legitimate danger, but the relevant question is was he in danger of serious injury from Rosenbaum. Perhaps, perhaps not. The probable cause statement with the eye witness states that a armed individual was present in alliance with Rittenhouse. This may well be our pistol shooter seen on video. It's a big leap to assume the pistol shot was in hostility to Rittenhouse.

I think it quite odd you assume quite a bit of intentions on all those involved, despite no evidence of this. You claim Rosenbaum was attempting to disarm Rittenhouse, yet I see no evidence of this. You claim Rittenhouse was targeted in retaliation for some dumpster fire skirmish, which is a massive assumption without evidence. You've filled in many details that paint Rittenhouse as a victim of aggression through no bad action on his part, which we simply cannot know at this time.

The probable cause statement interviews the journalist (who is also the victim of a reckless endangerment charge from the shooting) who was very close to the action. I can't quite tell with exact precision the exact order of events. It almost sounds like Rittenhouse fired a shot into the ground before Rosenbaum tried to grab the muzzle. If Rittenhouse was pointing or firing a "warning shot" before Rosenbaum tried to grab the gun, then Rosenbaum may well have been legally justified in trying to disarm his soon to be killer.

Rosenbaum was attempting to take the high-powered semi-automatic weapon from Rittenhouse and was being followed by other rioters. Had he not shot Rosenbaum he would have found out what Rosenbaum and the rioters intended to do to him once Rosenbaum had the high-powered semi-automatic weapon and Rittenhouse did not.

What was the alternative? Wait for the rioters to beat him unconscious and hope for the best? Again, Huber attempted to grab the gun. If Rittenhouse doesn't shoot Huber he is going to find out what happens when the rioters have the gun and he doesn't.

Not entirely true. The man who was shot in the arm was armed (presumably illegally, given the burglary conviction) and says he was intending to empty the magazine into Rittenhouse.

Not at all, I think the police should go in and arrest all the criminal rioters and they should be kept off the streets until things quiet down. They should also be policing the militia since, even if it is legal, it is a tense situation in which bad things can happen. Order needs to be restored.

Surely arresting the rioters and looters would be good for BLM? No more images of burning buildings.
If the first killing was unlawful, Rittenhouse has basically no right to defend himself from people attempting to detain or disarm him, even violently. If the first shooting is criminal, the later shootings are those of a fleeing, dangerous criminal. The actions of Huber could be considered one of someone attempting a citizens arrest of a fleeing murderer, and the murderer has no right to defend himself from such an action. It's quite clear that this is what people on the street felt in the video, that Rittenhouse was a killer fleeing the scene of his previous shooting.

If you have a source about the intentions of the man with the handgun wanting to "empty the magazine into Rittenhouse", I'd appreciate a link. From my own viewing, it appears to me the man with the handgun had ample opportunity to shoot Rittenhouse and chose not to, which is unfortunate given that Rittenhouse would continue to kill.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 11th September 2020 at 04:30 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 04:49 AM   #88
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's relevant because Rittenhouse didn't shoot the gunman, he shot the unarmed Rosenbaum. Unless there's some evidence showing that the two men were attacking Rittenhouse as accomplices, the actions of a third party can't justify a self-defense killing. Rittenhouse may have been in legitimate danger, but the relevant question is was he in danger of serious injury from Rosenbaum. Perhaps, perhaps not. The probable cause statement with the eye witness states that a armed individual was present in alliance with Rittenhouse. This may well be our pistol shooter seen on video. It's a big leap to assume the pistol shot was in hostility to Rittenhouse.

I think it quite odd you assume quite a bit of intentions on all those involved, despite no evidence of this. You claim Rosenbaum was attempting to disarm Rittenhouse, yet I see no evidence of this. You claim Rittenhouse was targeted in retaliation for some dumpster fire skirmish, which is a massive assumption without evidence. You've filled in many details that paint Rittenhouse as a victim of aggression through no bad action on his part, which we simply cannot know at this time.

The probable cause statement interviews the journalist (who is also the victim of a reckless endangerment charge from the shooting) who was very close to the action. I can't quite tell with exact precision the exact order of events. It almost sounds like Rittenhouse fired a shot into the ground before Rosenbaum tried to grab the muzzle. If Rittenhouse was pointing or firing a "warning shot" before Rosenbaum tried to grab the gun, then Rosenbaum may well have been legally justified in trying to disarm his soon to be killer.

If the first killing was unlawful, Rittenhouse has basically no right to defend himself from people attempting to detain or disarm him, even violently. If the first shooting is criminal, the later shootings are those of a fleeing, dangerous criminal. The actions of Huber could be considered one of someone attempting a citizens arrest of a fleeing murderer, and the murderer has no right to defend himself from such an action. It's quite clear that this is what people on the street felt in the video, that Rittenhouse was a killer fleeing the scene of his previous shooting.

If you have a source about the intentions of the man with the handgun wanting to "empty the magazine into Rittenhouse", I'd appreciate a link. From my own viewing, it appears to me the man with the handgun had ample opportunity to shoot Rittenhouse and chose not to, which is unfortunate given that Rittenhouse would continue to kill.
Having read your response it seems that you've not seen the videos posted earlier or, if you have, you've completely ignored the one that shows Rittenhouse (with only a small chance that it wasn't him) actually extinguishing the dumpster fire and being set upon.

Which is it, please?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 05:07 AM   #89
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I question the need for this thread. It's entirely predictable that reasonable people would argue that Rittenhouse is guilty of at least lesser charges of murder, given that we can see them being performed on video. Right wingers will defend Rittenhouse using whatever lies and cherry picking they can muster because they rely on the narrative that "protecting property" (killing left-wingers) with a gun is a just and moral act. The result is yet another thread where right wingers lie and obfuscate and the rest of us are frustrated, eventually leading to shouting matches and mod action.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 05:13 AM   #90
Suddenly
No Punting

Two important Wisconsin laws: (939.48)

Quote:
(a) A person who engages in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke others to attack him or her and thereby does provoke an attack is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing the person engaging in the unlawful conduct to reasonably believe that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, the person engaging in the unlawful conduct is privileged to act in self-defense, but the person is not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to the person's assailant unless the person reasonably believes he or she has exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at the hands of his or her assailant.

(6) In this section “unlawful" means either tortious or expressly prohibited by criminal law or both.
So if he provokes it by committing a tort such as assault (putting someone in fear of immediate bodily harm) then the legal bar for self defense increases and requires him to try to escape.

Maybe more important:

Quote:
(c) A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense.
This is where social media posts and such come in. If he was there because he wanted a chance to shoot antifa, then no self-defense.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 05:16 AM   #91
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The guy should plead guilty so he's sentenced before Trump loses and no longer has the ability to pardon him.
These are state crimes prosecuted by a state. Trump can only pardon federal crimes.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 05:26 AM   #92
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

It's relevant because Rittenhouse didn't shoot the gunman, he shot the unarmed Rosenbaum. Unless there's some evidence showing that the two men were attacking Rittenhouse as accomplices, the actions of a third party can't justify a self-defense killing.
Surely self defence is a question of whether the person claiming it holds a reasonable belief that they were about to be attacked/killed? Whether or not they actually are doesn't enter into it.

Rittenhouse may have been in legitimate danger, but the relevant question is was he in danger of serious injury from Rosenbaum. Perhaps, perhaps not.
No that is not the question. The question is whether he held a reasonable belief that he was in danger of serious injury from Rosenbaum.

I think it quite odd you assume quite a bit of intentions on all those involved, despite no evidence of this. You claim Rosenbaum was attempting to disarm Rittenhouse, yet I see no evidence of this.
From one of the newspaper articles about the case:
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ms/5654579002/
Quote:
The criminal complaint says Rosenbaum was unarmed. Rittenhouse and Rosenbaum ended up in a parking lot, with the reporter close behind them.

The reporter said Rittenhouse reached a car and had his gun in a "low ready position," with the gun angled down, before raising it. Hearing a gunshot, the reporter dove to the pavement.

A video cited in the criminal complaint captured a loud bang, presumably the first gunshot, then a man shouting an expletive. Rosenbaum can be seen appearing to approach Rittenhouse. As Rosenbaum gets closer, four more loud bangs ring out and he falls to the ground.

The reporter told police Rosenbaum tried to grab Rittenhouse's gun. Rittenhouse pulled the rifle away, then raised it, and as the two came together, Rittenhouse fired a second time.
That is eye witness testimony of a reporter (Richard McGinnis) who was on the scene.

McGinnes caught the start of Rittenhouse running, which I had forgotten:
https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...e-rittenhouse/
Quote:
McGinnis said that as they were walking south another armed male who appeared to be in his 30s joined them and said he was there to protect the defendant. McGinnis stated that before the defendant reached the parking lot and ran across it, the defendant had moved from the middle of Sheridan Road to the sidewalk and that is when McGinnis saw a male (Rosenbaum) initially try to engage the defendant.

McGinnis stated that as the defendant was walking Rosenbaum was trying to get closer to the defendant. When Rosenbaum advanced, the defendant did a “juke” move and started running. McGinnis stated that there were other people that were moving very quickly.
You claim Rittenhouse was targeted in retaliation for some dumpster fire skirmish, which is a massive assumption without evidence. You've filled in many details that paint Rittenhouse as a victim of aggression through no bad action on his part, which we simply cannot know at this time.
I am repeating statements made by witnesses and what we have in terms of video. We haven't had any video or witness statements that I am aware of that indicate any initiation from Rittenhouse, or any reason for the attack beyond putting out the fire. Something else may come to light. You guys have been either ignoring all the evidence in favour of self defence, or have not bothered to find out anything about the story.

If the first killing was unlawful, Rittenhouse has basically no right to defend himself from people attempting to detain or disarm him, even violently.
I'm not sure that that is true. What are you basing it on?

If the first shooting is criminal, the later shootings are those of a fleeing, dangerous criminal.
That may mean that they are entitled to attempt a citizen's arrest. It may be that their reasonable understanding of the situation entitles them to self defence. I'm not sure that denies Rittenhouse the possibility of self defence.

The actions of Huber could be considered one of someone attempting a citizens arrest of a fleeing murderer, and the murderer has no right to defend himself from such an action.
I'm not sure that that is true. I checked the statute and I don't see anything like you describe in it: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tes/939/iii/48

The quote is all over the place, but I don't have any sources I'm comfortable with either confirming or refuting them. For what it's worth here is an article from the Blaze.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/armed-...ooting-regrets
This looks to come from a now deleted Facebook post from a friend of Grosskreutz.
https://archive.is/AaXvi
I don't see that hearsay like this is going to change things one way or the other, so I'm content to assume that it is false for the moment.

Last edited by shuttlt; 11th September 2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11th September 2020, 05:33 AM   #93
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
This is where social media posts and such come in. If he was there because he wanted a chance to shoot antifa, then no self-defense.
Indeed, and nor should there be.
Old 11th September 2020, 05:35 AM   #94
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Surely self defence is a question of whether the person claiming it holds a reasonable belief that they were about to be attacked/killed? Whether or not they actually are doesn't enter into it.

No that is not the question. The question is whether he held a reasonable belief that he was in danger of serious injury from Rosenbaum.

From one of the newspaper articles about the case:
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ms/5654579002/

That is eye witness testimony of a reporter (Richard McGinnis) who was on the scene.

McGinnes caught the start of Rittenhouse running, which I had forgotten:
https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...e-rittenhouse/

I am repeating statements made by witnesses and what we have in terms of video. We haven't had any video or witness statements that I am aware of that indicate any initiation from Rittenhouse, or any reason for the attack beyond putting out the fire. Something else may come to light. You guys have been either ignoring all the evidence in favour of self defence, or have not bothered to find out anything about the story.

I'm not sure that that is true. What are you basing it on?

That may mean that they are entitled to attempt a citizen's arrest. It may be that their reasonable understanding of the situation entitles them to self defence. I'm not sure that denies Rittenhouse the possibility of self defence.

I'm not sure that that is true. I checked the statute and I don't see anything like you describe in it: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tes/939/iii/48

The quote is all over the place, but I don't have any sources I'm comfortable with either confirming or refuting them. For what it's worth here is an article from the Blaze.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/armed-...ooting-regrets
This looks to come from a now deleted Facebook post from a friend of Grosskreutz.
https://archive.is/AaXvi
I don't see that hearsay like this is going to change things one way or the other, so I'm content to assume that it is false for the moment.
My reading of the journalist's account is that Rittenhouse had already fired the first shot before Rosenbaum grabbed the gun. Grabbing the gun wasn't the inciting incident.

Self-defense is explicitly denied by the statute for those engaging in unlawful provocation. I think a broader argument that illegally carrying a rifle while intentionally violating a riot curfew in order to confront other rioters could be construed as unlawful provocation. Every second that Kyle was on the streets armed was unlawful.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 11th September 2020 at 05:39 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 05:36 AM   #95
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I question the need for this thread. It's entirely predictable that reasonable people would argue that Rittenhouse is guilty of at least lesser charges of murder, given that we can see them being performed on video. Right wingers will defend Rittenhouse using whatever lies and cherry picking they can muster because they rely on the narrative that "protecting property" (killing left-wingers) with a gun is a just and moral act. The result is yet another thread where right wingers lie and obfuscate and the rest of us are frustrated, eventually leading to shouting matches and mod action.
Stop lying and obfuscating. Nobody got killed here to defend property. This is a self defence argument based on a mob of armed arsonists chasing down a 17 year old who may have had a reasonable basis to fear for his safety.
Old 11th September 2020, 05:49 AM   #96
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

My reading of the journalist's account is that Rittenhouse had already fired the first shot before Rosenbaum grabbed the gun. Grabbing the gun wasn't the inciting incident.
https://www.wispolitics.com/wp-conte...-Complaint.pdf
Quote:
Detective Cepress indicates that he asked McGinnis if Rosenbaum had his hands on the gun when the defendant shot. McGinnis said that he definitely made a motion that he was trying to grab the barrel of the gun. McGinnis stated that the defendant pulled it away and then raised it. McGinnis stated that right as they came together, the defendant fired. McGinnis said that when Rosenbaum was shot, he had leaned in (towards the defendant).
In this account he had either grabbed the gun, or had attempted to grab the gun when he was shot.

Self-defense is explicitly denied by the statute for those engaging in unlawful provocation. I think a broader argument that illegally carrying a rifle while intentionally violating a riot curfew in order to confront other rioters could be construed as unlawful provocation. Every second that Kyle was on the streets armed was unlawful.
I think it is going to difficult to argue that engaging in something legal (open carry) would count as provocation in this sense. Maybe, I don't know. In any case, the statute also says this:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tes/939/iii/48
Quote:
A person who engages in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke others to attack him or her and thereby does provoke an attack is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing the person engaging in the unlawful conduct to reasonably believe that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, the person engaging in the unlawful conduct is privileged to act in self-defense, but the person is not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to the person's assailant unless the person reasonably believes he or she has exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at the hands of his or her assailant.
He attempted to get away. Rosenbaum caught up with him and attempted to get his gun. I'm not sure even if being armed counted as provocation, it would matter since he did indeed attempt to escape from the situation.

Last edited by shuttlt; 11th September 2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11th September 2020, 06:00 AM   #97
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.wispolitics.com/wp-conte...-Complaint.pdf

In this account he had either grabbed the gun, or had attempted to grab the gun when he was shot.

I think it is going to difficult to argue that engaging in something legal (open carry) would count as provocation in this sense. Maybe, I don't know. In any case, the statute also says this:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tes/939/iii/48

He attempted to get away. Rosenbaum caught up with him and attempted to get his gun. I'm not sure even if being armed counted as provocation, it would matter since he did indeed attempt to escape from the situation.
I suppose we'll get clarification from that eyewitness as the case proceeds. I think it's unclear exactly what the timing was. The way I read it, the first shot did not strike Rosenbaum, and only after that did he lunge for the rifle. Perhaps that is not correct, we only have the PC document.

Rittenhouse will claim his open carrying is lawful. Seems like a long shot to me, and he has been charged with unlawfully carrying the gun since he is a minor. It is quite plain he is violating the curfew, despite the cops not bothering to enforce it on the armed mob.

I don't think there's much more point in going back and forth on this. Witnesses will be called, timelines will be hammered out. I suppose we just have to be patient.
Old 11th September 2020, 06:04 AM   #98
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think there's much more point in going back and forth on this. Witnesses will be called, timelines will be hammered out. I suppose we just have to be patient.
Fair enough.
Old 11th September 2020, 06:05 AM   #99
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Which Wisconsin statute did Kyle break?
The homicide one, mostly.

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Have you notified the prosecutors of your allegation since they have not changed Kyle of brandishing in their official charges?
They probably didn't charge him with "obstructing a public way" or hunting outside of deer season, either.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 11:44 AM   #100
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
Rosenbaum know people were there to protect property with guns. Why would be assume Kyle was a mass-shooter?
Wow. You seem to have information about what Rosenbaum knew. Evidence derived from a seance may be questionable.

And who said anything about mass shooting? A sniper can plink at a single individual. Please share your source for these factual assertions.

Or you could drop the Socratic horse **** and get to the point?
Old 11th September 2020, 01:08 PM   #101
Jerrymander
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Wow. You seem to have information about what Rosenbaum knew. Evidence derived from a seance may be questionable.
Of course be knew. He encountered and fighting with militia guys standing next to property with guns. If I'm near a celebrity and someone a big guy with a gun next to them, I'm going to assume they are their to protect them.

*Sign*, the point is you seem to be implying that someone with a rifle must be a potential shooter and attacking them is justified.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 01:16 PM   #102
carlitos
"más divertido"

Kid in riot with AR-15 is not analogous to celebrity bodyguard. In my humble opinion.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 02:21 PM   #103
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Of course be knew. He encountered and fighting with militia guys standing next to property with guns. If I'm near a celebrity and someone a big guy with a gun next to them, I'm going to assume they are their to protect them.

*Sign*, the point is you seem to be implying that someone with a rifle must be a potential shooter and attacking them is justified.
*le sigh*

No, attacking them is not necessarily justified right out of the gate. But you can be 100% sure that someone without a badge running around with a gun during a riot after curfew is a criminal. No ifs, ands or buts. You seem to suggest that you could look at Ky-Ky and know he was just playing Avengers and thought he was in some kind of righteous militia. Bad news for you: martial law was not declared, nor was Ky-Ky an agent of law enforcement. He was nothing but another punk on the street, like the rest of them. Except that he brought a killing tool. So yeah, Rosenbaum and anyone else have no reason to assume he was a good guy. His very armed presence indicates he was not.
Old 11th September 2020, 02:22 PM   #104
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

And who said anything about mass shooting? A sniper can plink at a single individual. Please share your source for these factual assertions.

One clue might have been that Rittenhouse prevented Rosenbaum's group from carrying out whatever arson they were working on in the vicinity of the building the militia were protecting.

It hardly matters though if we are talking about Rittenhouse's justification for the shooting.
Old 11th September 2020, 02:41 PM   #105
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

*le sigh*

No, attacking them is not necessarily justified right out of the gate. But you can be 100% sure that someone without a badge running around with a gun during a riot after curfew is a criminal.
You can be sure they are criminals in a sense that is different from the sense in which the people pushing the lighted dumpster towards the gas station were criminals? The first sounds like a misdemeanor, the second sounds like a felony.

You seem to suggest that you could look at Ky-Ky and know he was just playing Avengers and thought he was in some kind of righteous militia.
The other militia standing with him is probably a clue. The fact that he goes to put out the dumpster is a clue.

Bad news for you: martial law was not declared, nor was Ky-Ky an agent of law enforcement.
Obviously.

He was nothing but another punk on the street, like the rest of them.
Defending stores, putting out fires... a punk, just like the group trying to burn down the gas station.

Except that he brought a killing tool.
Sure, just like Grosskreutz.

So yeah, Rosenbaum and anyone else have no reason to assume he was a good guy. His very armed presence indicates he was not.
When Rosenbaum and his group were prevented from pushing a flaming dumpster towards the gas station... they assumed the group that stopped them was up to no good? They thought the heavily armed group was looking for an opportunity to shoot somebody so they shouted in their faces and pushed? Wouldn't the militia acting calmly in the face of their provocation be a clue that they weren't up to no good? They then chase down the youngest member of the group when he got seperated? They really don't seem too concerned that the militia are going to use the guns.

None of this relates to whether or not Rittenhouse was justified in shooting Rosenbaum or the others.

Last edited by shuttlt; 11th September 2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11th September 2020, 03:08 PM   #106
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You can be sure they are criminals in a sense that is different from the sense in which the people pushing the lighted dumpster towards the gas station were criminals? The first sounds like a misdemeanor, the second sounds like a felony.

The other militia standing with him is probably a clue. The fact that he goes to put out the dumpster is a clue.

Obviously.

Defending stores, putting out fires... a punk, just like the group trying to burn down the gas station.

Sure, just like Grosskreutz.

When Rosenbaum and his group were prevented from pushing a flaming dumpster towards the gas station... they assumed the group that stopped them was up to no good? They thought the heavily armed group was looking for an opportunity to shoot somebody so they shouted in their faces and pushed? Wouldn't the militia acting calmly in the face of their provocation be a clue that they weren't up to no good? They then chase down the youngest member of the group when he got seperated? They really don't seem too concerned that the militia are going to use the guns.

None of this relates to whether or not Rittenhouse was justified in shooting Rosenbaum or the others.
You were so close, but still missed it.

If Ky-Ky and others were putting out fires, that does not mean they don't plan to shoot you. That's the problem with criminals; you don't know how far their moral compass will swing back and forth. They might well put greasing an anarchist right along side of putting out a fire in terms of public service. Why, absurd as it sounds, they might kill one of them, then flee and wax another while blowing another guy's arm apart for good measure. Am I being too hyperbolic there?

The question asked was how anyone would know if Kyle was bad news? My answer is that he declared himself law enforcement/militia in defiance of police orders, so he for god damned sure isn't on the side of law and order. You're just throwing dice with how far he is away from them.

Oh, and he is charged with homicide et al. The 5-0 seems to agree with me.

Last edited by Thermal; 11th September 2020 at 03:09 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:16 PM   #107
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Catching up on this thread and I noticed something that I find curious so I'm going to ask about it: Why are members referring to the killer by his first name but the dead by their last?
It's a term of endearment/derision. Ky-Ky, the kyster, the kymeister it's something an unhip dad would say to his daughter Stacy in the 80's.

As in,

"Yo, Stace, you going out with the kymeister tonite?"

Dad!!! Don't call him that!!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:20 PM   #108
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
It's a term of endearment/derision. Ky-Ky, the kyster, the kymeister it's something an unhip dad would say to his daughter Stacy in the 80's.

As in,

Did the Kymeister also murder two people and injure a third in the 80's?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:28 PM   #109
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

As in,

But does he got it goin on with Stacy's Mom?
Old 11th September 2020, 03:32 PM   #110
Jerrymander
Muse

If Ky-Ky and others were putting out fires, that does not mean they don't plan to shoot you. That's the problem with criminals; you don't know how far their moral compass will swing back and forth. They might well put greasing an anarchist right along side of putting out a fire in terms of public service. Why, absurd as it sounds, they might kill one of them, then flee and wax another while blowing another guy's arm apart for good measure. Am I being too hyperbolic there?

The question asked was how anyone would know if Kyle was bad news? My answer is that he declared himself law enforcement/militia in defiance of police orders, so he for god damned sure isn't on the side of law and order. You're just throwing dice with how far he is away from them.

So the rioters knew the gun he was carrying was illegal? And why would a group of rioters care about legality?
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:34 PM   #111
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

If Ky-Ky and others were putting out fires, that does not mean they don't plan to shoot you. That's the problem with criminals; you don't know how far their moral compass will swing back and forth.
On the one hand you have a group of people with criminal convictions and a history of violence involved in arson. On the other you have a group whose only crime at that point seems to be breaking curfew. I don't see that people open carrying can give you a self defence justification for assaulting them as we see in the video. I also don't see how a would be arsonist breaking curfew is in a position to argue they were making a citizens arrest of Rittenhouse on the basis that he was open carrying while breaking curfew.

In any case, none of this matters since the state of mind of Rosenbaum isn't relevant to Rittenhouse's self defence justification.

They might well put greasing an anarchist right along side of putting out a fire in terms of public service. Why, absurd as it sounds, they might kill one of them, then flee and wax another while blowing another guy's arm apart for good measure. Am I being too hyperbolic there?
I don't see that legally open carrying can't be a justification for people to claim self defence when they attack you.

The question asked was how anyone would know if Kyle was bad news?
How can any of them know that any of them aren't bad news? Can everybody assault everybody else like it's the purge?

My answer is that he declared himself law enforcement/militia in defiance of police orders, so he for god damned sure isn't on the side of law and order.
That is a matter of opinion.

You're just throwing dice with how far he is away from them.
I have no idea what that means.

It was certainly homicide. The question is whether it was self defence. He has to assert self defence. The police/DA aren't going to do that for him.

Last edited by shuttlt; 11th September 2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11th September 2020, 04:32 PM   #112
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Guys...

The police set a curfew. Captain Kyle and the Avengers retorted "**** you cops, WE are the law" and sauntered over to some random burned out car dealership that the owner did not ask them to defend (probably add trespass on the list). They declared it Fort ******* Apache and prepared to defend it. Who were they going to shoot? Cuz that was the plan: shoot em up, or maybe wave guns around and intimidate rioters with threat of disproportionate response.

The Avengers here were not in the right from word go. But don't get me wrong: I'm ok with being out in a riot. Just check your halo at the door. You have elected to be a bad guy, one way or the other.

Anyone think everyone would still be alive if heroic Kyle had left that illegal carried weapon at home? Er, I mean loaded thousand dollar rifle that apparently fell off the back of a truck?
Old 12th September 2020, 04:55 AM   #113
Jerrymander
Muse

Guys...

The police set a curfew. Captain Kyle and the Avengers retorted "**** you cops, WE are the law"
No. Kyle was working with the police. There is video of them thanking the militia 15 minutes before the shooting. He was only breaking curfew because the rioters were.
Old 12th September 2020, 05:29 AM   #114
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

No. Kyle was working with the police. There is video of them thanking the militia 15 minutes before the shooting. He was only breaking curfew because the rioters were.
So he was deputized then? Strange that the police would deputize a 17 year old illegally carrying a weapon.

Old 12th September 2020, 07:34 AM   #115
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Guys...

The police set a curfew. Captain Kyle and the Avengers retorted "**** you cops, WE are the law" and sauntered over to some random burned out car dealership that the owner did not ask them to defend (probably add trespass on the list). They declared it Fort ******* Apache and prepared to defend it. Who were they going to shoot? Cuz that was the plan: shoot em up, or maybe wave guns around and intimidate rioters with threat of disproportionate response.
Gee, you mean to say that if everybody had listened to the cops and did what the cops told them to do, nobody'd be dead?

Hey everybody, listen to the cops and do what they tell you to do!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 08:21 AM   #116
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

If I showed you video of a cop thanking a hooker for a hummer, or thanking his dealer for dope, does that legitimatize it? The criminal is off scott free because a crooked cop appreciates the crime? Are you remotely serious here?
Old 12th September 2020, 08:29 AM   #117
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Gee, you mean to say that if everybody had listened to the cops and did what the cops told them to do, nobody'd be dead?

Hey everybody, listen to the cops and do what they tell you to do!
Not at all. I sympathize with the protesters. What I don't sympathize with is the lame ass excuses for one that murders, under whatever flag he claims.

(G)You take a gun into the streets, you want to shoot someone. Period. No cowardly excuses. Your sole intent by carrying a gun is to put a bullet in someone's someone's center mass, or maybe the skull, as Kyle did to Rosenbaum. Your are not carrying it for some
sporting target shooting competition. You intend to kill people. Own that ****.
Old 12th September 2020, 08:49 AM   #118
Jerrymander
Muse

Not at all. I sympathize with the protesters. What I don't sympathize with is the lame ass excuses for one that murders, under whatever flag he claims.

(G)You take a gun into the streets, you want to shoot someone. Period. No cowardly excuses. Your sole intent by carrying a gun is to put a bullet in someone's someone's center mass, or maybe the skull, as Kyle did to Rosenbaum. Your are not carrying it for some
sporting target shooting competition. You intend to kill people. Own that ****.
That makes no sense whatsoever. The kid was guarding private property from rioters.

Last edited by Jerrymander; 12th September 2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12th September 2020, 08:51 AM   #119
Jerrymander
Muse

If I showed you video of a cop thanking a hooker for a hummer, or thanking his dealer for dope, does that legitimatize it? The criminal is off scott free because a crooked cop appreciates the crime? Are you remotely serious here?
So Kyle was bad for breaking curfew but the rioters weren't?
Old 12th September 2020, 08:54 AM   #120
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

sauntered over to some random burned out car dealership that the owner did not ask them to defend (probably add trespass on the list).
What is your source for this assertion?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors