ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags genetics , microbes

Old 20th November 2018, 08:54 AM   #1
attempt5001
Scholar

Genetics of Hemimastigotes Desribed

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/h...NBq_4sScmgtlvQ

A bit of a "post 'n dash" (apologies), but I'd be interested to hear what the community here thinks of this. In short, a microbiology graduate student scoops up some dirt on a whim during a hike and has a look under a microscope back at the lab. She discovers some phenotypically unique looking organisms and has a colleague perform single organism genetic sequencing.
Turns out the organisms (at least two different varieties as far as the article reports) are so genetically different from other genetically classified organisms that they seem to represent a new kingdom. Very interesting in my opinion, but the fact that they were "scooped up at random" suggests to me that these organisms (and perhaps other new kindgoms of organisms) may not be as rare as previously thought. Appreciate thoughts of those educated in this field and will check back as soon as I can.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty interesting. Breakfast looked good, too.
Old 20th November 2018, 09:13 AM   #3
attempt5001
Scholar

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Pretty interesting. Breakfast looked good, too.
Laugh. For sure. Good way to start a hike in the woods!
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

My kind of breakfast, except for the WD 40..
Old 20th November 2018, 11:13 AM   #5
attempt5001
Scholar

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Agreed! Bit of a high price to pay to keep your scrambled eggs from sticking.
Old 20th November 2018, 11:15 AM   #6
attempt5001
Scholar

Just noticed I mistyped "Described" in the thread title here :/
(insert face-palm smiley)
Old 20th November 2018, 02:12 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Hemimastigotes? Does that mean they only chew on one side of their mouths?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Hemi - half (Latin)
Mast - breast (Greek)
Ig - not (prefix, variant of in-, Latin)
Ote - the type thus characterized (Greek suffix)

Hemimastigotes, therefore, are not members of a class characterized by having half a breast. Which is obviously true.

(A more likely derivation would relate to the Greek "mastigos," a whip or scourge.)
Old 20th November 2018, 07:33 PM   #9
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Hemi - half (Latin)
Mast - breast (Greek)
Ig - not (prefix, variant of in-, Latin)
Ote - the type thus characterized (Greek suffix)

Hemimastigotes, therefore, are not members of a class characterized by having half a breast. Which is obviously true.

(A more likely derivation would relate to the Greek "mastigos," a whip or scourge.)
Hemi=half (we agree)

-masti- as in 'masticate, to chew'
-gote-(we agree, 'the one who is thus characterized )

So either "chews on one side of his mouth) OR

"To eat half of a goat".

(I've been doing Lithuanian Genealogy today. Looks like I found a GGpa whose occupation " uzsiemimas juodadarbis" was a google literate translate "black coffin". It means "dead end job", unskilled bust-ass labor. )
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by attempt5001 View Post
Agreed! Bit of a high price to pay to keep your scrambled eggs from sticking.
I'm just trying to figure out what the other strange bottle is. But there's bacon. BACON! I'll just have that, you can keep the eggs.
Old 21st November 2018, 12:58 AM   #11
Venom
Graduate Poster

Relax everyone.

It's a new Protist.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I'm just trying to figure out what the other strange bottle is. But there's bacon. BACON! I'll just have that, you can keep the eggs.

I'm also wondering what the other two people are going to eat. That's only one serving of bacon.
Old 21st November 2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm also wondering what the other two people are going to eat. That's only one serving of bacon.
Eggs and WD40.
Old 21st November 2018, 08:11 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Interesting, but I'd be pretty surprised if it really did represent a new Kingdom.
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:14 AM   #15
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

An informative article:
https://gizmodo.com/bizarre-microbes...-ev-1830496441

Points out that the study is valuable and interesting, but that assignment to new super-kingdom, etc. depends on the criteria being used by the assigner. "Results may vary."

Organism is very interesting no matter the details of the taxonomy.

Interesting origin of species name too:
"The previously known species is called Spironema and the new one was dubbed Hemimastix kukwesjijk (pronounced “ku–ga–wes–jij–k”), which means “rapacious hairy ogre” in the language of the Mi’kmaq First Nations people of Nova Scotia."
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:19 AM   #16
steenkh
Philosopher

Thanks for bringing this news.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:09 PM   #17
attempt5001
Scholar

Laugh. I assumed that was the soap bottle for washing up. Good reminder to all scientists to keep a head shot on file in case you make the news unexpectedly. I can picture the discussion:

Grad student 1: Hey need a picture of our lab group for a press release ...

Grad student 2: Well, we have the one where we cooked bacon and eggs with WD40 or the one where we dressed up like Twisted Sister so we could film our entry for "dance your thesis" ...
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:12 PM   #18
attempt5001
Scholar

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
An informative article:
https://gizmodo.com/bizarre-microbes...-ev-1830496441

Points out that the study is valuable and interesting, but that assignment to new super-kingdom, etc. depends on the criteria being used by the assigner. "Results may vary."

Organism is very interesting no matter the details of the taxonomy.

Interesting origin of species name too:
"The previously known species is called Spironema and the new one was dubbed Hemimastix kukwesjijk (pronounced “ku–ga–wes–jij–k”), which means “rapacious hairy ogre” in the language of the Mi’kmaq First Nations people of Nova Scotia."
Thanks Giordano. That's a really helpful article for further context.
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Planigale
Master Poster

Just to point out fungi and animals are quite closely related (as these things go). Fungi are more closely related to animals than either are to plants. All are eukaryotes and more closely related to each other than to prokaryotes, then there are the archaebacteria. So they are just sitting in the eukaryotes perhaps not plants, but on the fungi, animal grouping. Personally I am a slime mould fan, I did slime moulds for my A level biology project. Amoeba that come together, differentiate and form fruiting bodies, or hunt as a multicellular grex. How cool is that!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 06:14 PM   #20
lpetrich
Muse

Hemimastigota -- from Greek hemi- "half" and mastix "whip" -- "half a whip". Referring to the organism's flagellum (Latin for "whip"). It's one of several difficult-to-place organisms that branched off very early in the history of eukaryotedom, about when the major groups of them branched off from each other. Another one that made news some months back was Collodictyon.

Here is the phylogeny so far:
  • Amorphea
    • Opisthokonta
      • Choanoflagellida + Metazoa
      • Fungi
    • Amoebozoa
  • Diaphoretickes
    • Archaeplastida
    • SAR
      • SA
        • Stramenopiles
        • Alveolata
      • Rhizaria
  • Excavata
According to Hemimastigophora is a novel supra-kingdom-level lineage of eukaryotes | Nature, those protists are closest to Diaphoretickes as a whole.

Collodictyon itself, along with Mantamonas and Rigifilida form "CRuMs", most closely related to Amorphea as a whole.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology