ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2018, 01:54 PM   #1
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Ion drive aircraft

Not a rocket but an ionic wind for a drone with no moving parts.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...-moving-parts/
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Wow. I don't care if it has no practical applications for many years, that's just mind-blowingly cool.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 02:43 PM   #3
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Pretty much my view too
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Really neat. Although if widely adapted for drones, etc. would this not generate a lot of ozone pollution?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:42 AM   #5
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Ionic wind aircraft

Well, baby steps, anyway:

https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-firs...n=Partnerships

Small-scale demonstration of no-moving parts aircraft..
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:45 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

You can make these with wire and tin foil, there are instructions on youtube.

Of course, those ones need external power, the clever thing here is the very light power packs.
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And scale.

Very cool, love where his inspiration came from.
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:09 AM   #8
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And scale.
Ah, yes, good point. I'd failed to note that - Five metres!
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:13 AM   #9
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

This needs to be turned into a Hoverboard ASAP!
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:18 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

There are drone aircraft that are powered by batteries. I wonder if these will be replaced by the new type of aircraft? They will be quieter.
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:29 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
There are drone aircraft that are powered by batteries. I wonder if these will be replaced by the new type of aircraft? They will be quieter.
I'm fairly sure that these new craft, driven as they are by pushing air across their lifting surfaces, can't hover like today's quad- and hex-copters can. Not that that's a requirement for all drones.
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:30 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Not a rocket but an ionic wind for a drone with no moving parts.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...-moving-parts/
Ion drive sounds great until you see that isn't the power source, a battery creates the ions.

What am I missing?
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:10 PM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Ion drive sounds great until you see that isn't the power source, a battery creates the ions.

What am I missing?
I suggest you are missing nothing. The ions are generated and then accelerated backwards moving the plane forward.
Old 27th November 2018, 04:30 PM   #14
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

What am I missing?
As has been said before, nothing really. I should have said that it wasn't a spacecraft as ion drives are pretty mature technologies.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:10 PM   #15
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
You can make these with wire and tin foil, there are instructions on youtube.

Of course, those ones need external power, the clever thing here is the very light power packs.

The Mythbusters tested one years ago, when they were investigating supposed antigravity devices found on the internet. One device floated in the air when connected to power, but didn't move when placed in a vacuum chamber, showing that it was actually ionizing the air to generate thrust.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology