ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th December 2018, 04:07 AM   #401
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Solar power would be my bet, though, as I mentioned upthread, obtaining some of the more obscure elements could be massively difficult. Ditto nukes.
I don't think the obscure elements are required if you do it this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

How effective that's likely to be at x KM further away from the sun, I have no idea. Similarly, I rally don't know if it would be easier or harder to build one of these on Mars.
Old 7th December 2018, 04:58 AM   #402
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Not yet, but I'll look for it

Its one of the short stories in "Tales from the White Hart"
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:46 AM   #403
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I don't think the obscure elements are required if you do it this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

How effective that's likely to be at x KM further away from the sun, I have no idea. Similarly, I rally don't know if it would be easier or harder to build one of these on Mars.
It's still subject to the inverse square law, so you'd get a fair bit less per square kilometre than on Earth out of it.

And then there's the usual problem with solar power. Namely that it doesn't work at night AND doesn't do much in a dust storm even during the day. And we just had a Mars dust storm that lasted for more than a month. So better have batteries that can store a month's worth of electricity for your colony.

And that's an even bigger problem for a colony than on Earth. Even skipping past importing energy and whatnot, at least you'd still have air even if you were out of power for a month somewhere. Not to mention you can get there by helicopter with the red cross or whatnot to at least make sure the people have food and water. They won't be happy, mind you, but they'll live. On Mars if you don't even have power for the MOXIE (oxygen plant) for a month, because a month-long storm plunged the surface in darkness, everyone just dies horribly.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 7th December 2018 at 06:47 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:28 AM   #404
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
It's still subject to the inverse square law, so you'd get a fair bit less per square kilometre than on Earth out of it.
On the other hand the Martian atmosphere is much thinner, and a significant amount of solar energy is absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere.

My VPN isn't working so I can't get on google, but it looks to me like the power/unit area at Mars should be around 1/3 of that at earth. I think (from memory) that at earth we lose about 1/2 of solar power to the atmosphere, whereas I'd guess that it's basically insignificant at Mars, in which case on the surface of both planets you'd expect similar figures for power/unit area (less on Mars but not that much). The problem of dust storms does complicate that though.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:30 AM   #405
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its one of the short stories in "Tales from the White Hart"
You know, I had a collection of his short stories that included some (or all) of those that I read about 15 years ago, and I think I probably read that one. Something about termites does feel familiar. I'll have to try to read some of his stuff again, though, thanks
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:45 AM   #406
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

It's not as insignificant as you'd think, because of the vast amounts of dust in the atmosphere. But be that as it may, you still have the issue of storms literally plunging the surface in darkness for up to a month or two in a row.
Old 7th December 2018, 07:48 AM   #407
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I'd be interested in actual figures for power /unit area on the surface. And certainly agreed that the dust storms cause a problem. At the very least some sort of energy storage would be necessary, but the scale here is pretty damn large.
Isaac Asimov
Old 7th December 2018, 08:11 AM   #408
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Do you have any reason to think that it wouldn't be the case? I mean, what specific sorts of health problems do you think could arise from low-gravity that don't exist in zero-gravity?

If your objection is just "Well, you never no, there could be something unexpected" that's fine, but I don't put the probability very high with respect to this particular concern.

The health problems of microgravity (effectively zero gravity, as on the ISS) are lethal long-term. We've gone about as far establishing that as possible, short of leaving an astronaut in orbit long enough to actually die from it. The countermeasures (hours of exercises per day) only slow down the damage.

It's extremely likely that the health effects of fractional (e.g. Mars or lunar) gravity are less severe than those of microgravity. It's possible there are no real problems with it at all, aside from (as in the common SF trope) not being developmentally adapted to full earth gravity and so being unable to relocate there without prosthetics. But if there are other long-term effects, we don't know what will suffice to counter them (i.e. over a lifetime). A few hours a day on a tilt-a-whirl would be fairly easily manageable. Full-time on the tilt-a-whirl during pregnancy would be onerous, but hey, the survival of the species is at stake so you do what you gotta. But if you need the whole population living on the tilt-a-whirl all the time, it multiplies the cost of habitable space on the Martian surface by something like an order of magnitude.
Old 7th December 2018, 08:12 AM   #409
3point14
Pi

Yeah, I'd be interested in actual figures for power /unit area on the surface. And certainly agreed that the dust storms cause a problem. At the very least some sort of energy storage would be necessary, but the scale here is pretty damn large.
If it's practically a vacuum, does that make storing energy in a flywheel practical?
Old 7th December 2018, 01:59 PM   #410
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The health problems of microgravity (effectively zero gravity, as on the ISS) are lethal long-term. We've gone about as far establishing that as possible, short of leaving an astronaut in orbit long enough to actually die from it. The countermeasures (hours of exercises per day) only slow down the damage.

It's extremely likely that the health effects of fractional (e.g. Mars or lunar) gravity are less severe than those of microgravity. It's possible there are no real problems with it at all, aside from (as in the common SF trope) not being developmentally adapted to full earth gravity and so being unable to relocate there without prosthetics. But if there are other long-term effects, we don't know what will suffice to counter them (i.e. over a lifetime). A few hours a day on a tilt-a-whirl would be fairly easily manageable. Full-time on the tilt-a-whirl during pregnancy would be onerous, but hey, the survival of the species is at stake so you do what you gotta. But if you need the whole population living on the tilt-a-whirl all the time, it multiplies the cost of habitable space on the Martian surface by something like an order of magnitude.
At this point, I'm not sure exactly how you envision that tilt-a-whirl, that it would be a problem. It's possible to have a centrifuge that doesn't make you puke, and still produces 1g, by basically being large and slow enough, and on Mars you don't need a full g pushing sideways, so it can be even slower.

Basically don't think the fast spinning ride with the plastic horses at the carnival, think something like the London Ferris wheel on its side.

And you don't even need to push it to a full 1g, so it can be fairly slowly rotating. For example if you can generate 3.7m/s2 pushing sideways, that gets you a nice 45° sloped floor and a 5.25m/s2 effective gravity on Mars. Which IMHO should be already decent enough.

And, yes, to concede your point, you probably don't even need to be on it 24/7. You could probably get away with having the work hours in lower g areas, so you don't have to put heavy industrial or scientific equipment on the centrifuge, and just have the free hours and sleep in your room on the Ferris wheel.
Old 8th December 2018, 03:41 AM   #411
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

That's all quite reasonable. I would guess that fetal development will require something quite close to 1g, though how close I won't guess. On the other hand when it comes to long term effects on adults, even if a few hours/day isn't effective, which I would also guess that it would be*, a few months on a treatment center in between stints of a few months at low-g should be (how long does it take astronauts to fully recover from a long stay on the ISS (where the problems of bone loss would be less severe per unit time)?

*Our bodies are quite good at adapting to stress, it's only the long term absense of that stress that leads to problems in living in zero-g. A few hours/day should be enough to induce that adaptive response. On the other hand it's not clear to me using sleep time would be sufficient as there's not that much load on the bones during sleep.
Isaac Asimov
Old 8th December 2018, 07:27 AM   #412
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, in my imaginary scenario they'd spend more like 16 hours a day on the centrifuge. Which would presumably involve at the very least some walking around and sitting, even if someone absolutely can't be convinced to spend some time on a treadmill or ergonomic bike. It's only when they have to do their job that they'd be in microgravity, and that mainly because some things can't be put on the centrifuge (e.g., maintaining the solar panels outside would still be microgravity) and some I really don't want to for cost reasons (e.g., it would take an insanely reinforced centrifuge to hold a nuclear reactor at 1g.)

So anyway, you'd spend some 8 hours or so in low g, then have 16 hours or so to recuperate in more acceptable g.

IMHO it should be enough to keep people at least reasonably healthy. With the caveat that I'm no doctor, so MHO doesn't have to count for much.
Old 8th December 2018, 10:03 AM   #413
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Just leave Matt Damon.

It's the Princesses of Mars that need rescuing!
Read the books, watch the movies (if you can find them now...……)...

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 10:14 AM   #414
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

If it's practically a vacuum, does that make storing energy in a flywheel practical?
Well, you'd still have friction in the bearing, especially if the dust can get into it. Which, if it's not somehow sealed off, it will.

But let's do some maths there. You know me, I'm like math's little bitch. I keep coming back for more.

So let's say our whole colony needs only 1MW worth of power on the average. Which is actually very very Spartan, especially if you want to have 160 humans so they can at the very least have enough genetic diversity for a backup.

Let's say you want to hold power for a month. (Again, I'm going low. There have been recent storms that lasted a lot longer.)

so 1MW x 86400 s/day x 30 days = 2592000 MJ = 2.6 TJ

that's how much energy you'd have to store in the flywheel.

Now, that's pure kinetic energy. Assuming an ideal flywheel where the mass is all concentrated at the edge (or the vast majority of it, anyway) you need mv2 to be a little over 5*1012. So if we have a flywheel weighing 5000 TONS, its edge would have to be going at 1000m/s. You can plug in your own desired radius to get the RPM, but the edge is going at nearly mach 3 in any case. A bit more if it's a less ideal flywheel.

I'm thinking though that if you make it too large, the tensile strength of steel (or really ANY material you're using) isn't going to cut it.

Edit: the same applies, btw, if you have 5000 tons worth of lighter wheels. If you have 5000 flywheels, weighing 1 ton each, well, you still get the edge going at nearly mach 3 for each of them.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 8th December 2018 at 10:15 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 10:31 AM   #415
3point14
Pi

That's an awful lot of flywheel.

Thank you for the maths!
Old 8th December 2018, 11:27 AM   #416
Myriad
Hyperthetical

That's an awful lot of flywheel.

Yeah, but we can solve the power storage and the artificial gravity problems together! A rotating habitat with a rim mass of 50,000 tons (including contents) and a diameter of 150 meters (about the size and mass of a large modern stadium) would only need a rim speed of about 32 m/s to store your 2.6 TJ. That would be about 2/3 g centripetal acceleration, or a resultant of about .76 g. You get about 70,000 square meters of living and working space.

Of course, you'd lose your artificial gravity temporarily when you have to draw down significant amounts of that reserve power (but you'd only do that in emergencies, surely), and your habitat will seem a bit tilted until you can rev it up again.
Old 8th December 2018, 11:59 AM   #417
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, I like that idea. Though I think 50,000 tons is a bit much. That's the weight of a bloody battleship.
Old 8th December 2018, 12:07 PM   #418
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm... could you please run the maths past me, though? When I do it in my head, it ends up about 2 orders of magnitude too short for 2.6TJ. Of course my maths could be wrong, but I'd like to learn where I went wrong with it.
Old 8th December 2018, 12:23 PM   #419
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Never mind, I think I made a calculation error. It needs 10x more energy.

For instance, 4x the radius, 2x the rim speed (so 1/2 the rpm), and 2.5x the mass.

ETA: No, even that's not enough; I was even farther off.

Last edited by Myriad; 8th December 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 02:33 PM   #420
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Ah. Well, for once I'm sorry to have been right. I was starting to like your centrifuge doubling as a flywheel idea.
Old 10th December 2018, 05:18 AM   #421
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, just to make it clear, just beacause the number is big, it doesn't mean it's impossible to store it. Just not in a flywheel. About 5000 tons of li-ion batteries should just about store that much. And would only cost about half a billion for the batteries, and a fair bit more for the transport.

Just, well, hope the batteries don't blow up, like li-ion occasionally does, or you'll be able to see the resulting crater from Earth
Old 10th December 2018, 06:45 AM   #422
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Does anyone remember the old "solar power satellite" concept?

Such a thing might work better for Mars than for earth. For instance if the transmitted microwave power went off target, the colonists would still be safe due to the same radiation shielding that was protecting them from all the other radiation.

(But would a dust storm block the surface power reception? If so, they're of course no better off than if the panels themselves were on the surface.)

To be able to maintain it themselves, the colonists would need to maintain a space flight capability. But with Mars gravity, that might not be much more difficult than maintaining all the other technology they would need.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:15 AM   #423
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Bingo. The problem is that when there's a dust storm, you literally can't see the sun for all the dust. I don't expect a satellite to do much better there.
Old 10th December 2018, 09:41 AM   #424
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

And whatever panels you use might need some built-in wipers. There will never be any rain to wash off the accumulated dust. There are cleaning eventWPs, but you might not want to rely on them.

Down here in Greece we quite often get saharan dust blowing in. It can make my car undriveable unless I use the screen washers.
Old 10th December 2018, 09:56 AM   #425
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Bingo. The problem is that when there's a dust storm, you literally can't see the sun for all the dust. I don't expect a satellite to do much better there.
I'm sure the Icarus from Die Another Day can break through. Can't speak to the safety of anyone it targets, however.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 10:08 AM   #426
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And whatever panels you use might need some built-in wipers. There will never be any rain to wash off the accumulated dust. There are cleaning eventWPs, but you might not want to rely on them.

Down here in Greece we quite often get saharan dust blowing in. It can make my car undriveable unless I use the screen washers.
Well, just as long as you don't end up polishing those panels an opaque white, while rubbing the dust on them with the wipers. I know at least the moon dust it's not the rounded particles of dust on Earth, but some rather jagged rock fragments. I'm sure some of the dust on Mars has been around the block often enough to have gotten rounded, but anything from recent enough impacts AND anything from humans digging a bunker there, has got to be the jagged kind.
Old 15th December 2018, 09:03 AM   #427
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm sure the Icarus from Die Another Day can break through. Can't speak to the safety of anyone it targets, however.
I was thinking of “Real Genius,” which was both funny on purpose and more realistic.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #428
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I was thinking of “Real Genius,” which was both funny on purpose and more realistic.
Yeah, that was a pretty fun movie.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology