ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th November 2018, 07:34 AM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Genetically Modified Humans born

He Jiankui, a Chinese scientist, claims to have modified human embryos before implanting them in a women who brought twin girls to term this month.
The modification is supposed to confer a resistance to HIV/AIDS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...c-rss_20181126

Too soon or not soon enough?
Old 26th November 2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As long as Soylent Green is labeled contains GMO I've no objections.
Old 26th November 2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He Jiankui, a Chinese scientist, claims to have modified human embryos before implanting them in a women who brought twin girls to term this month.

He should have used one of the alterations that imparts bioluminescence.
Old 26th November 2018, 08:13 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I have long advocated for introducing GFP into kids to keep them safe in traffic at night.
Old 26th November 2018, 09:05 AM   #5
wea
Critical Thinker

I have long advocated for introducing GFP into kids to keep them safe in traffic at night.
YFP to keep yellowish headlamps and green-lights?
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Are you crazy? Green means go: they'll cause traffic accidents whenever they try to cross the street!

Go with DsRed if you want to keep them safe.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I've been thinking about a Human with "perfect genes".

My Mitochondrial DNA has about 60 SNP 'mutations' since Mito Eve. But I don't think Eve was perfect, she was merely the earliest to meet the definition of "Human". Someday we may be able to define each SNP variant and GMO the perfect human. Numbers though: For $500 Genos.com will do a 'full exome sequence", FES. 40 million SNPs. The result they give you are a list of the Variants, 300,000 points that are not like everybody else. So merely GMO me 300,000 times, and I my children can fly to Krypton!
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 12:06 PM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

And how are they going to test the girls?

But yeah, HIV susceptibility is genetic. ALL diseases are. I'm glad they found the guy(s) who were immune and ran their genes.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

We'll have to see how they develop, no?
Old 26th November 2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Belz...
Fiend God

As long as Soylent Green is labeled contains GMO I've no objections.
Oh, that's a better one than the one I had in mind.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I've been thinking about a Human with "perfect genes".
Yeah, I think about Scarlet Johansson too.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, I think about Scarlet Johansson too.
Yeah, I like her jeans too.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 01:13 PM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Genetically Magnificent Organism.

Old 26th November 2018, 01:17 PM   #14
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
We'll have to see how they develop, no?
They probably already know about HIV immunity, via a blood test? No,hmmn., most blood tests fro things like viruses look for antibodies to the virus. But if you have a genetic immunity, would your body even feel the need to make antibodies? Perhaps they need cells growing in a petri dish?
Old 26th November 2018, 01:37 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Of all the things to correct genetically, increased resistance to HIV is pretty low on my list.
Old 26th November 2018, 01:43 PM   #16
baron
Philosopher

Not exactly X-Men, is it?
Old 26th November 2018, 01:44 PM   #17
attempt5001
Scholar

According to the article, two embryos were implanted, one homozygous for the desired deletion and the other not (meaning it won't likely infer disease resistance, but may result in other outcomes). I agree with the scientist quoted in the article that this suggests that the “main emphasis was on testing editing rather than avoiding this disease,”. So if one is a proponent of using human embryos (and human babies/children/adults if they successfully gestate and survive) as subjects for very preliminary testing on gene editing, then one ought to have no objection to this work. In my opinion though, if true. this is unconscionable and irresponsible (not to mention poorly controlled) scientific experimentation (with a side of blind capitalistic ambition thrown in for good measure).

Last edited by attempt5001; 26th November 2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: correct a type-o
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 02:02 PM   #18
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by attempt5001 View Post
According to the article, two embryos were implanted, one homozygous for the desired deletion and the other not (meaning it won't likely infer disease resistance, but may result in other outcomes). I agree with the scientist quoted in the article that this suggests that the “main emphasis was on testing editing rather than avoiding this disease,”. So if one is a proponent of using human embryos (and human babies/children/adults if they successful gestate and survive) as subjects for very preliminary testing on gene editing, then one ought to have no objection to this work. In my opinion though, if true. this is unconscionable and irresponsible (not to mention poorly controlled) scientific experimentation (with a side of blind capitalistic ambition thrown in for good measure).
And violates the rules, regulations and laws in most parts of the world, including the PRC as far as I understand. The potential of an experimental treatment to benefit the individual being treated is balanced against the potential risks. Experiments with quite questionable benefits to the individual treated, particularly highly invasive ones such as this one, with plausible, if poorly understood risks would not pass the ethics committees in almost all places I am aware of.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 02:02 PM   #19
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

According to the article, two embryos were implanted, one homozygous for the desired deletion and the other not (meaning it won't likely infer disease resistance, but may result in other outcomes). I agree with the scientist quoted in the article that this suggests that the ďmain emphasis was on testing editing rather than avoiding this disease,Ē. So if one is a proponent of using human embryos (and human babies/children/adults if they successful gestate and survive) as subjects for very preliminary testing on gene editing, then one ought to have no objection to this work. In my opinion though, if true. this is unconscionable and irresponsible (not to mention poorly controlled) scientific experimentation (with a side of blind capitalistic ambition thrown in for good measure).
We should also consider the very distinct possibility that this is all simply a scam. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 26th November 2018, 02:07 PM   #20
attempt5001
Scholar

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
And violates the rules, regulations and laws in most parts of the world, including the PRC as far as I understand. The potential of an experimental treatment to benefit the individual being treated is balanced against the potential risks. Experiments with quite questionable benefits to the individual treated, particularly highly invasive ones such as this one, with plausible, if poorly understood risks would not pass the ethics committees in almost all places I am aware of.
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
We should also consider the very distinct possibility that this is all simply a scam. It wouldn't be the first time.
Agreed on both points. Will wait to hear more about this one. I hope it's a scam/hoax of some kind.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 02:15 PM   #21
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Couldnít you just move to Windscale?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 02:22 PM   #22
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Agreed on both points. Will wait to hear more about this one. I hope it's a scam/hoax of some kind.
I rhink its a scam, but it will happen sooner or later and eventually, one day it will be a mainstream practice.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 04:18 PM   #23
Thermal
Philosopher

Genetically Magnificent Organism.
Gluteus Maximus Optimal
Old 26th November 2018, 04:27 PM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Couldnít you just move to Windscale?
Your age is showing!
Old 26th November 2018, 04:31 PM   #25
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Your age is showing!

Iím just glad someone recognised it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 07:08 PM   #26
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I think we should already know, from every movie ever made on the subject, that this will end badly.
Old 26th November 2018, 08:27 PM   #27
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I think we should already know, from every movie ever made on the subject, that this will end badly.
Quick, what is the moral of this movie? is it Man should not mess with nature/gods creation, or is it a commentry on racisim/homophobia/minorities and that we should get along with anyone no matter their race/gender/certain bilogical prefrences/GMO status?

Or is it just that we should build a superior race of androids to combat the threat? Because there is no way that that would go wrong either.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 10:29 PM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Make millions for the creators and financiers ?
How is that a bad end?
Old 27th November 2018, 12:24 PM   #29
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Genetically engineered, more perfect people distantly remind me of Arthur C. Clarkes novel "Childhoods End." In the novel:
A generation of children are born who are so much superior to their parents, and have abilities so far beyond normal, they are totally alien to their parents and to all prior existing humans. In the book this eventually happens spontaneously to almost all intelligence species on all planets, and a special contingent of extraterrestrials has been sent to Earth in advance to protect this new generation from the old. The connection with genetic engineering is, if genetic engineering is pushed to plausible future extremes, how a clearly superior generation of humans would see, and be seen, by their progenitors.

I think about the book from time to time because although I am no doubt prejudiced being a father, I do see my two (genetically unmanipulated) adult children as significantly smarter than I am, and I often wonder if they share this view and if they see me more as an amusement or embarrassment than a useful source of advice or information. Fortunately if so they have learned to hide their views.

Last edited by Giordano; 27th November 2018 at 12:30 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 12:32 PM   #30
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Not exactly X-Men, is it?
Give them time. I'm still waiting on my super-speed.

Old 27th November 2018, 12:56 PM   #31
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

This is my take on it, too. For a few reasons, some already mentioned above:
  • very out of the blue
  • shockingly criminal human experimentation if true. CRISPR produces a lot of genetic damage outside the target area, which is why it's mostly useful for microbes. We can incinerate the bad batches. Best defense for He at this point is 'i made it up'
  • mechanism does not pass my sniff test as a MSc in research medicine who specialized in HIV resistance - CCR5 is not the only binding receptor for HIV, HIV adapts to use other receptors (CCR4 &c), and it's not clear what He did exactly but if he botched CCR5 the costs for a person who is not exposed to HIV are probably higher than the benefits of resistance. CCR5 is a white cell recognition receptor. Munging it provides temporarly slight HIV resistance at the cost of lifelong immune system damage. Were the parents informed about this when they provided consent?

Last edited by blutoski; 27th November 2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: list tags
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 02:13 PM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Give them time. I'm still waiting on my super-speed.
I think the kids call that "bath salts" nowdays.
Old 27th November 2018, 03:01 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Genetically engineered, more perfect people distantly remind me of Arthur C. Clarkes novel "Childhoods End." In the novel:
A generation of children are born who are so much superior to their parents, and have abilities so far beyond normal, they are totally alien to their parents and to all prior existing humans. In the book this eventually happens spontaneously to almost all intelligence species on all planets, and a special contingent of extraterrestrials has been sent to Earth in advance to protect this new generation from the old. The connection with genetic engineering is, if genetic engineering is pushed to plausible future extremes, how a clearly superior generation of humans would see, and be seen, by their progenitors.

I think about the book from time to time because although I am no doubt prejudiced being a father, I do see my two (genetically unmanipulated) adult children as significantly smarter than I am, and I often wonder if they share this view and if they see me more as an amusement or embarrassment than a useful source of advice or information. Fortunately if so they have learned to hide their views.
It's been a long time since I read it, but one of the ideas in the book is that:
The aliens look like Satan.
Old 28th November 2018, 10:41 AM   #34
attempt5001
Scholar

[quote=blutoski;12515853]This is my take on it, too. For a few reasons, some already mentioned above:[list]
(snipped)

Yes. Good points all 'round. And anyone who has looked at the web of interactions between genes (more accurately the proteins they express most of the time) will tell you the interplay is incredibly complex. Do a google image search "protein interactome" for some nice examples. The naivety that would be required to think "this gene is involved with AIDS infection, so removing or altering it will be prophylactic with an acceptably low risk of side-effects" is pretty hard to imagine from anyone with experience in the field.

I hope an "I made it all up" is pending.
Old 29th November 2018, 07:33 AM   #35
attempt5001
Scholar

Some initial response from China reported in the news today:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ies/ar-BBQeurQ

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology