ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd December 2018, 03:29 AM   #1
wobs
Graduate Poster

History of Periodic Table

Mother In Law would like a book about the history of the periodic table for Christmas. She's not a scientist (is a preacher, but not mad), and was looking for something that was an interesting read in this area.

I've found two possibilities:
Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements, from Arsenic to Zinc

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Rivalry, Adventure, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

Which, in your opinion is best (or is there a better alternative?)
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

I enjoyed The Periodic Kingdom: A Journey Into The Land Of The Chemical Elements a lot.
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I've read the Disappearing spoon and found it a very nice read. Lots of humanizing anecdotes and a good look at how hard work managed to get things organized.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

If you are feeling extra flush with cash and very generous you can always buy her a 76-piece set of the actual elements in ampules plus a holder in the shape of the periodic table:

http://www.elementsales.com/display/set-ams-4.htm

$695 for the elements plus $145 for the holder

Sorry: nothing radioactive and no alkaline metals. (too reactive I guess)

I think that other companies also supply the equivalent, some with more elegant displays.

Frankly I've always wanted one of these although I've never convinced myself to spend the money.

Metallium also sells individual elements and smaller collections in a variety of forms: ampules, coins, chunks, etc. - I think it is kind of neat.

Oliver Sacks mentions in one of his books that he had a friend who every birthday gave him a sample of the element with the same atomic number as his new age. Clever, although some birthdays are more boring than others.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Although not exactly what was requested in the OP, "The Elements," by Theodore Gray is a fabulous "coffee table" like book which discusses the characteristics, uses, and sometimes the history of discovery of each element. Wonderful photos. I really enjoyed it.

Totally irrelevant to the OP, but a "plug" for a wonderfully poetic and fascinating autobiography relating chapters in his life post-Auschiwitz to specific elements: Primo Levi's "The Periodic Table."
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Although not exactly what was requested in the OP, "The Elements," by Theodore Gray is a fabulous "coffee table" like book which discusses the characteristics, uses, and sometimes the history of discovery of each element. Wonderful photos. I really enjoyed it.

Totally irrelevant to the OP, but a "plug" for a wonderfully poetic and fascinating autobiography relating chapters in his life post-Auschiwitz to specific elements: Primo Levi's "The Periodic Table."
If you are feeling generous then I would definitely buy this along with one of the other books.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
If you are feeling generous then I would definitely buy this along with one of the other books.
I am feeling expansive. Not sure if I also am feeling generous.
Old 4th December 2018, 03:23 AM   #8
wobs
Graduate Poster

Some great suggestions here. Many thanks.

Don't worry about going a bit off topic Giordano. Others may find the suggestion useful who do a similar search.
Old 6th December 2018, 11:51 PM   #9
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Mother In Law would like a book about the history of the periodic table for Christmas. She's not a scientist (is a preacher, but not mad), and was looking for something that was an interesting read in this area.

I've found two possibilities:
Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements, from Arsenic to Zinc

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Rivalry, Adventure, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

Which, in your opinion is best (or is there a better alternative?)
Second one is quite a good read (I know because I read it - and used it as part of some lessons I presented to my Chem Students...…….)!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:54 PM   #10
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

Excellent choice- and he has another one or two as I recall !!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 6th December 2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: I refer to the Gray book...
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 12:01 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I've read the Disappearing spoon and found it a very nice read. Lots of humanizing anecdotes and a good look at how hard work managed to get things organized.
Second this suggestion. An excellent read.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 02:26 AM   #12
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I've read Periodic Tales, and it's something rather more eclectic than a history of the periodic table; as I recall, the chapter on gold featured rather heavily a gold statue of a nude Kate Moss. Overall the book was a bit weird, and probably not the sort of thing you're looking for.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 02:29 PM   #13
jonesdave116
Master Poster

Quote:
.....as I recall, the chapter on gold featured rather heavily a gold statue of a nude Kate Moss.
Probably cheaper than creating a gold statue of Beyonce. A lot less gold required in the arse department.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 11:15 PM   #14
rehn
Scholar

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Second this suggestion. An excellent read.
Very interesting, I have read it twice.

Last edited by rehn; 8th December 2018 at 11:17 PM.
rehn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 11:57 PM   #15
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Thanks. I just bought myself a Christmas present.

I like the description of the book that mentions how gallium was used for magic tricks as tea spoons and such. I was already aware of that, but I like the story. I have a bit of a bunch of gallium. Fun stuff.

I have sort of kinda maybe started a collection of elements over the past few years. I bought some elements for...you know, science. As I bought more I thought about collecting the whole set. Get them all! I looked at the sets available, but they are expensive and it felt like buying rather than collecting.

I do buy or ask for presents made of certain elements simply because I want to add them to my collection. It's not really a collection. Just something I like. Something I do. On occasion. I don't need to go to Elements Anonymous. It's not like I'm buying plutonium. I can quit anytime. I swear...
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 9th December 2018 at 12:00 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 12:16 AM   #16
geoman
Doctor of Rock

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I've read Periodic Tales, and it's something rather more eclectic than a history of the periodic table; as I recall, the chapter on gold featured rather heavily a gold statue of a nude Kate Moss. Overall the book was a bit weird, and probably not the sort of thing you're looking for.

Dave
I agree with Dave on Periodic Tales. I’m not sure what I was expecting when I bought it, but I didn’t get it. Try something else instead.
geoman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 01:43 AM   #17
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I have sort of kinda maybe started a collection of elements over the past few years. I bought some elements for...you know, science. As I bought more I thought about collecting the whole set. Get them all! I looked at the sets available, but they are expensive and it felt like buying rather than collecting.

I do buy or ask for presents made of certain elements simply because I want to add them to my collection. It's not really a collection. Just something I like. Something I do. On occasion. I don't need to go to Elements Anonymous. It's not like I'm buying plutonium.

Have you tried Covent Garden?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 03:43 AM   #18
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Have you tried Covent Garden?
Wonderful! I'll bake a Christmas yellowcake to celebrate. With mercury icing and potassium chips.

One thing I find surprising is how many elements are metals. Especially silver-colored metals.

I also find it odd that elements follow patterns, but not exactly. The table has gaps, but they aren't all the same. There are some stair-step divisions. And so on. It's like it is all nice and neat and regular, but then just messed up enough to screw with you.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology