ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th December 2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

Supersonic Bloodhound car project axed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46480342

Bit of a shame; I was looking forward to some ultra high speed crazy car action.

Surely an eccentric billionaire could cough up a measly 25 million?

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 10:42 AM   #2
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mr Clingford View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46480342

Bit of a shame; I was looking forward to some ultra high speed crazy car action.

Surely an eccentric billionaire could cough up a measly 25 million?
No doubt the fuel mileage sucked anyway, and what good is the ability to break the sound barrier when you're stuck in traffic all the time?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 10:46 AM   #3
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
No doubt the fuel mileage sucked anyway, and what good is the ability to break the sound barrier when you're stuck in traffic all the time?
Indeed. And rear wheel steering is only for fork lifts.
Old 8th December 2018, 02:50 AM   #4
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

I suppose the more important metric is not its speed in a straight line but what time it can lap the Nurburgring in. So it was a fail anyway.

Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 05:24 PM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Doesn't seem very convenient for taking the kids to school.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 05:52 PM   #6
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Serious question that in looking into this I didn't find an answer.

Where can tires rated for the intended top speed be sourced?

I don't know anybody involved in top LSR pursuits, but do know a couple of guys that have run at Bonneville and according to them the limiting factor for current LSR efforts is the lack of availability of tires rated for speeds above 250 mph.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 06:54 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Serious question that in looking into this I didn't find an answer.

Where can tires rated for the intended top speed be sourced?

I don't know anybody involved in top LSR pursuits, but do know a couple of guys that have run at Bonneville and according to them the limiting factor for current LSR efforts is the lack of availability of tires rated for speeds above 250 mph.
Airplane tires. Heavy because 28 plies. Maybe truck tires are a happy medium?

But does it have to have rubber tires? Carbide coated rims might do.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

I think the tires were to be solid alumin(i)um.

Old 9th December 2018, 11:22 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

This reminds me of some guys a few years ago, I think in my area, who were trying to build a car out of a scrapped F16. (At least I think it was an F16.) Wonder what happened to that project?

ETA: I'm wrong, it was an F-104.
Quote:
For the last 13 years, development and testing of the vehicle has been ongoing with no notable progress to date.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 9th December 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 01:50 PM   #10
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Yeah, solid aluminium.

Sorry to hear it's folded but they've been running on a shoestring for years. The project started just as the financial crisis broke and even Richard Noble's remarkable blagging powers couldn't get the funding needed to get it to the starting line. If I remember correctly, the original plan was to run the car in 2011. It'll be a great pity if all that work comes to nothing.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Correct. And not just stock aluminum either, they've got to be custom forged. It's a pretty big deal:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 07:26 AM   #12
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

To withstand 50,000 g at the rim!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology