ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th April 2016, 12:36 PM   #1
JPK
Graduate Poster

Sarah Palin mocks Bill Nye

Sarah Palin mocks Bill Nye over climate change: He's 'as much as scientist as I am'
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/politi...ist/index.html
When Trump wins maybe he could appoint her as National Science Advisor.
I'm sure she has some ideas on how to mix oil with water.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's not a scientist, of course, and doesn't claim to be. He's an engineer turned science popularizer. He was actually in my organization at Boeing, before I got there. And now it would appear he may be engaged in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Old 15th April 2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Fidelio
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
... And now it would appear he may be engaged in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
That is the best comment I've read on this story. Well done.
Old 15th April 2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

So... Sarah Palin is saying we should listen to all the real scientists on Climate Change, and not Bill Nye?

Fine with me.
Old 15th April 2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
So... Sarah Palin is saying we should listen to all the real scientists on Climate Change, and not Bill Nye?

Fine with me.
Yeah, I'm not sure she 's thought that through.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 03:01 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure she 's thought that through.
I'm not sure she has ever thought anything through.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 03:11 PM   #7
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good afternoon Trebuchet
He's not a scientist, of course, and doesn't claim to be. He's an engineer turned science popularizer. He was actually in my organization at Boeing, before I got there. And now it would appear he may be engaged in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Hmmm. He seems to fit many of the definitions of a scientist that I can find. One doesn't have to have a PhD or is actively on the payroll wearing a white lab coat with a pocket protector with a slide rule in it to fit the description.
From Wiki
A*scientist*is a person engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world. In a more restricted sense, a*scientist*may refer to an individual who uses the scientific method.
Merriam-Webster's
Simple*Definition*of*scientist. : a person who is trained in a science and whose job involves doing scientific research or solving scientific problems.
Oxford
A person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.

So too me, he is slightly more of a scientist than Sarah Palin is. Of course I'm not as familiar with any examples of he adherence to anything resembling the "scientific method"
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 04:06 PM   #8
sts60
Illuminator

I don't want to speak for Trebuchet, but I pretty much agree with his characterization. Nye is an engineer-turned science populizer/educator; I doubt Nye would disagree with that characterization.

Look, I have an undergraduate degree in physics, and wore a lab coat and was a researcher in a physics lab, but I'm not a scientist. Everything I've done in my professional life has been properly characterized as "engineering". I'm sure Trebuchet isn't disrespecting Nye or discounting his wonderful contributions to science; I'm certainly not. And yes, Nye is, conservatively speaking, infinity-eleven percent more a scientist than Gov./2 Palin.

But I agree with Trebuchet, and it's not just semantics, although if you want to call Nye a scientist, I'm not about to get worked up about it.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Nye certainly has far more training in science than Palin, but I don't think he'd say he's a scientist. If anything, he's an applied scientist.

There are, unfortunately, an amazing number of right-wing and/or religious engineers who proclaim themselves "scientists" and make pronouncements in about fields in which they have no training or experience, like evolution or climate change. Nye is one of the good guys.

ETA: I've worn the lab coat too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mixed_Nuts_Crew.jpg (104.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Trebuchet; 15th April 2016 at 05:38 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 07:00 PM   #10
JPK
Graduate Poster

Don't get me wrong, I've thought of him more of a science educator. I was simply pointing out that when Sarah Palin says he's just as much of a scientist than she is, by definition, I'd say she is wrong.
John Kardel
Old 15th April 2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

ETA: I've worn the lab coat too.
Sing to The Streets of Laredo:

I see by your lab coat that you are a scientist,
You can see by my lab coat that I am one, too.
You can see by our lab coats that we are all scientists.
Get yourself a lab coat * and be a scientist, too.

* Talkin' to you, Sarah Palin
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 07:49 PM   #12
Joey McGee
Banned

I hate when people attack me for being an atheist. After all, I'm smarter than them.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 08:08 PM   #13
Desert Fox
Philosopher

I do not understand people like Sarah Palin because she does have a bachelors degree from the University of Idaho. I know one does not have to be a genius but she just seems so ignorant.
Old 15th April 2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
It's also a monumental understatement. He's an A-10 Warthog and she's duck taped to the side of a derelict T-54.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 08:41 PM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
It's a very good comment, but I must (sorry) mention that it is not new. I first ran across it many years ago on a TV show called "Banacek," in which George Peppard played a quirky insurance detective who solved seemingly impossible cases. He had a fairly amusing repertoire of these statements, supposedly based on old Polish proverbs.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 09:06 PM   #16
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

She's like the Captain Kirk of the Stupidverse. She goes to levels of stupid where no one has gone before.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 09:08 PM   #17
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Sing to The Streets of Laredo:

I see by your lab coat that you are a scientist,
You can see by my lab coat that I am one, too.
You can see by our lab coats that we are all scientists.
Get yourself a lab coat * and be a scientist, too.
That is evil, in a funny way. I come away with this while hating you because you stuck that song in my head. Let's see if I can wash it out:

Out in the west-'Laskan town of Wasilla,
I fell in love with a cheerleading twit.
Dumb as a rock was this girl from Wasilla,
But I didn't care, cuz just look at her...

Okay, I got nothing.

Last edited by dropzone; 15th April 2016 at 09:23 PM.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 09:09 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Bill Nye does have a Bachelor of Science degree, among other qualifications. So technically he could at least claim to be a "scientist" on that basis alone.

Has he been working in an official scientist position which has the word in the title? I don't know - it would seem he has at some time. Regardless, his previous work and his popularisation of science certainly makes him FAR more qualified to speak on the subject than Palin, a registered doofus.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 09:20 PM   #19
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Sarah Palin on the Department of Energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_sD83FAQk
Old 15th April 2016, 09:56 PM   #20
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I'm not sure she has ever thought anything through.
I am pretty sure she has insufficient neural connections in her brain to think anything through to any greater extent than a small flatworm can.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 10:12 PM   #21
Nakani
Muse

Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I do not understand people like Sarah Palin because she does have a bachelors degree from the University of Idaho. I know one does not have to be a genius but she just seems so ignorant.
I bet she got a bachelor's degree in Bigfoot.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 10:39 PM   #22
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
I bet she got a bachelor's degree in Bigfoot.
Journalism actually
Old 15th April 2016, 10:42 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sadly, I fail to see CNN took an intelligent position.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:57 PM   #24
Sciwoman
Thinker

A degree doesn't mean she actually learned anything. It only means she had the opportunity to do and at least faked it well enough to earn the piece of paper.
Sciwoman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 11:17 PM   #25
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Sadly, yes.
Her Trump speech was hard to watch.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's a very good comment, but I must (sorry) mention that it is not new. I first ran across it many years ago on a TV show called "Banacek," in which George Peppard played a quirky insurance detective who solved seemingly impossible cases. He had a fairly amusing repertoire of these statements, supposedly based on old Polish proverbs.
Banacek, yes!
I miss that show. Where is the reboot?
I would say that Banacek was the smoothest detective of the 1970s.
Just as Paul Drake (Perry Mason private eye) was the smoothest of the 1960s.
And as Peter Gunn was the smoothest of the 1950s (charging $1000 per day. A lot of money back then).
Old 15th April 2016, 11:25 PM   #26
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Sadly, yes.

Banacek, yes!
I miss that show. Where is the reboot?
I would say that Banacek was the smoothest detective of the 1970s.
Just as Paul Drake (Perry Mason private eye) was the smoothest of the 1960s.
And as Peter Gunn was the smoothest of the 1950s (charging $1000 per day. A lot of money back then).
Minor quibble: PM was 57-66 and PG was 58-61 so PD was before during and after PG!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2016, 11:41 PM   #27
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sciwoman View Post
A degree doesn't mean she actually learned anything. It only means she had the opportunity to do and at least faked it well enough to earn the piece of paper.
You would think that she understood how to at least sound half intelligent though.
Old 16th April 2016, 03:06 AM   #28
JPK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Banachek??? That guys great. The way he reads minds and can bend metal and move objects all with the power of his mind. He incredible. Although Sarah Palin can bend minds as well. :-)
John Kardel
Old 16th April 2016, 03:15 AM   #29
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I suspect her speeches when she was campaigning for the vice presidency would have been just as bad, but for the speech writers and the coaching she was getting back then.
Old 16th April 2016, 03:44 AM   #30
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You would think that she understood how to at least sound half intelligent though.
I think she understands that's no way to get elected.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 04:27 AM   #31
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

She was elected governor of Alaska, right?

Who came second in that election? A lemming?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 06:57 AM   #32
elgarak
Illuminator

Journalism actually
Strictly speaking, in communications, with an emphasis on journalism (according to Wiki).

After college, she worked as a sportscaster/-reporter.

Besides that, when I was still working at a university, in our field (I was a physicist by education, and I was working in material science with emphasis on interfaces/surfaces) the term 'scientist' was more relating to WHAT people do than what their education was. One of our team had his first degree in English. He was a damn good scientist.

Bill Nye is very close to what we did. Sarah Palin is quite far away.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 08:05 AM   #33
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Strictly speaking, in communications, with an emphasis on journalism (according to Wiki).

After college, she worked as a sportscaster/-reporter.

Besides that, when I was still working at a university, in our field (I was a physicist by education, and I was working in material science with emphasis on interfaces/surfaces) the term 'scientist' was more relating to WHAT people do than what their education was. One of our team had his first degree in English. He was a damn good scientist.

Bill Nye is very close to what we did. Sarah Palin is quite far away.
Aaahh, "Communications". The preferred major of so many college athletes.
Old 16th April 2016, 10:26 AM   #34
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Aaahh, "Communications". The preferred major of so many college athletes.
You would hope that most athletes would not make statements as stupid as her Department of Energy comments (See the YouTube video I linked to above).
Old 16th April 2016, 10:27 AM   #35
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

What got me about this is that Bill Nye the Science Guy is a hero to so many people my generation and younger who have grown up watching him (both in school and at home...that show was really funny). So do they not want our votes? You don't get votes by insulting people who are super popular.

Anyway, judging by the way so many politicians in Alaska, including Palin, have used the natural resources of that fragile ecosystem as a never ending flow of money for themselves, I am not surprised she denies climate change. The cognitive dissonance would be unbearable even for someone with as limited cognition as her.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 10:47 AM   #36
fuelair
Banned

Actually, it would be kinder (to us, not her of course) to turn Palin into Mock-Scientist Soup (I think we should register this name before Cambell's gets the idea........)!!!!!
Old 16th April 2016, 10:53 AM   #37
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Sarah is an anti-science buffoon. Nevertheless, Nye is no scientist. His attempts to debunk temperature related "inflategate" by using relative pressure instead of absolute pressure quite publicly revealed his limitations. The ideal gas law is not that hard.

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 10:57 AM   #38
Warmer1
Critical Thinker

Sarah Palin on the Department of Energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_sD83FAQk
It pains me to death to defend that woman in any way but in this video it states

"First of all the Department of Energy has nothing to do with Oil Gas and minerals."

http://energy.gov/science-innovation...sources/fossil

"The Energy Department maintains emergency petroleum reserves, ensures responsible development of America’s oil and gas resources and executes natural gas regulatory responsibilities. In addition, scientists at the Energy Department’s National Labs are developing technologies to reduce carbon emissions and ensure fossil energy sources play a role in America’s clean energy future"

Even though the above is true it's alarming how Sarah Palin thinks it's OK to shut down the Department of Energy. It's gut wrenching that this nutter was considered to be a contender to become a VP, and people still support here after so many recorded instances of her being totally out to lunch,

If Sarah Palin is claiming that climate science is a hoax then she should have to go to NASA and prove it with her evidence. It would be great to produce a program where climate change deniers are filmed on camera trying to prove the science is wrong at scientific institutions.

Imagine how many science deniers would claim that the science is wrong if they had to prove it live on camera in front of climate scientists? If a number of programs like this were made I think fewer people would feel comfortable trying to claim the science is false.

I wish I could start a movement calling for Sarah Palin to have to prove the validity of her claims at an academy of science or at NASA or somewhere similar. She should not be allowed to defame, disgrace and discredit scientists without evidence.

Can we figure out a means to hold her feet to the fire? How powerful is social media now and how could she be held accountable?

Sorry for the correction Desert Fox. I'm on your side.

Last edited by Warmer1; 16th April 2016 at 11:05 AM.
Warmer1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 11:10 AM   #39
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
She was elected governor of Alaska, right?

Who came second in that election? A lemming?
She lost to the lemming but it was disqualified.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2016, 06:49 PM   #40
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Warmer1 View Post
It pains me to death to defend that woman in any way but in this video it states

"First of all the Department of Energy has nothing to do with Oil Gas and minerals."

http://energy.gov/science-innovation...sources/fossil

"The Energy Department maintains emergency petroleum reserves, ensures responsible development of America’s oil and gas resources and executes natural gas regulatory responsibilities. In addition, scientists at the Energy Department’s National Labs are developing technologies to reduce carbon emissions and ensure fossil energy sources play a role in America’s clean energy future"

Even though the above is true it's alarming how Sarah Palin thinks it's OK to shut down the Department of Energy. It's gut wrenching that this nutter was considered to be a contender to become a VP, and people still support here after so many recorded instances of her being totally out to lunch,
If Sarah Palin is claiming that climate science is a hoax then she should have to go to NASA and prove it with her evidence. It would be great to produce a program where climate change deniers are filmed on camera trying to prove the science is wrong at scientific institutions.

Imagine how many science deniers would claim that the science is wrong if they had to prove it live on camera in front of climate scientists? If a number of programs like this were made I think fewer people would feel comfortable trying to claim the science is false.

I wish I could start a movement calling for Sarah Palin to have to prove the validity of her claims at an academy of science or at NASA or somewhere similar. She should not be allowed to defame, disgrace and discredit scientists without evidence.

Can we figure out a means to hold her feet to the fire? How powerful is social media now and how could she be held accountable?

Sorry for the correction Desert Fox. I'm on your side.
And with not a single sandwich in her brown bag!!!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology