ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 04:23 AM   #2761
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You expect me to watch 2.5 hours of some talk show. Boil it down to something manageable or just forget it.
I don't get this sort of response. If you want to actually form an opinion about a candidate you should listen to them yourself and make your own determination rather than of rely on the interpretations of others.

And just as you don't have to watch every media event concerning a candidate to form an opinion you don't have to watch the entire podcast either.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 08:55 AM   #2762
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Such a beautiful and intelligent woman. She occupies this strange place where GloboHomo hates her and the "not racist" white boomers choose fellow white man and stroke victim Joe Biden over her.
Isn't she childless?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 10:02 AM   #2763
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Isn't she childless?
That just makes her more relatable:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/women...selves-n956931
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 01:20 PM   #2764
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The_Animus
Joe Biden is delusional and it's sad so many in the democratic party support him.

Quote:
Bloomberg News reporter Sahil Kapur tweeted that "in New Hampshire, Joe Biden predicts that once President Trump is out of office, Republicans will have 'an epiphany' and work with Democrats toward consensus."
https://www.newsweek.com/biden-repub...sensus-trump-1

That's because this isn't your father's Republican party.

Quote:
"This is not your father's Republican party. This is a different outfit” — Joe Biden in 2008

“Folks, this is not your father's Republican Party” — Joe Biden in 2012

“This is not your father’s Republican Party, by the way. This is a different outfit” — Joe Biden (May 13, 2019)
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 05:18 PM   #2765
MrFliop
Thinker

It feels like a rerun of the 2016 Democratic Primaries.

A former member of the Obama administration is the front runner, Bernie Sanders is the runner up and all the other candidates are polling in the single digits.

And let me tell you, if the end result is the same as the 2016 primaries Trump will win the general election again.
MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 07:14 PM   #2766
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
I don't get this sort of response. If you want to actually form an opinion about a candidate you should listen to them yourself and make your own determination rather than of rely on the interpretations of others.

And just as you don't have to watch every media event concerning a candidate to form an opinion you don't have to watch the entire podcast either.
I suspect SezMe does not choose to get referrals for what to watch about a candidate from CE.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:16 PM   #2767
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post

A former member of the Obama administration is the front runner, Bernie Sanders is the runner up and all the other candidates are polling in the single digits.

And let me tell you, if the end result is the same as the 2016 primaries Trump will win the general election again.
Why?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:06 AM   #2768
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Looks like Buttigieg finally has some official policy positions posted.
Old 18th May 2019, 04:18 AM   #2769
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The Republican Party might go back to normal if when Trump leaves office, he doesn't back primary challengers.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 04:25 AM   #2770
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Looks like Buttigieg finally has some official policy positions posted.
He keeps looking better all the time.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 04:56 AM   #2771
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Isn't she childless?
But still very much fertile unlike the tired old hags who rule over Europe.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 04:58 AM   #2772
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He keeps looking better all the time.
Yeah, another dime-a-dozen GloboHomo politician. Let me guess, he has a plan to "strengthen the middle class."
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:15 AM   #2773
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, another dime-a-dozen GloboHomo politician. Let me guess, he has a plan to "strengthen the middle class."
Plus he's Childless!
Old 18th May 2019, 05:33 AM   #2774
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'd take him over the filthy Russian whore we have now.
Old 18th May 2019, 11:38 AM   #2775
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post

At this point, anybody who's behind Hillary II is functionally a Trump supporter.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 12:58 PM   #2776
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
At this point, anybody who's behind Hillary II is functionally a Trump supporter.
Nonsense.

Why spout meaningless rhetoric like it has some special significance?

How about dealing with the facts as they are today.

1)Trump is dangerously out of control when he Tweets out crap like he going to send his political opponents to jail on trumped up* charges. (*Trumped up will forever have an ironic meaning.)

2) The religious right is out of control passing anti-abortion laws despite the fact a majority of the citizens in this country don't want such laws.

Now, which candidates can best counter these dangerous developments?

I saw Biden this morning on CSPAN holding a poorly attended lackluster rally. It was not inspiring.

Next was Steve Bullock holding a similarly unenthusiastic rally complete with rhyming slogans inserted in his speech that gave me the impression he was trying not to but couldn't help himself.

And the news media continues to give an inordinate amount of time to covering Trump because he continues to make outrageous statements.

This is what we need to address, and making meaningless statements about Clinton does nothing to move the ball.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th May 2019 at 01:00 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 01:24 PM   #2777
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I saw Biden this morning on CSPAN holding a poorly attended lackluster rally. It was not inspiring.
Biden! Front of the pack primarily because people think that he's the most electable!
Old 18th May 2019, 01:58 PM   #2778
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Biden! Front of the pack primarily because people think that he's the most electable! [he's the only one besides Sanders that is well known.]
ftfy

It's going to be hard for any of the 20+ to break out of the pack. The DNC would be well served to make some more noise about all the rest of the candidates. And if they are supporting Biden we need to throw them all out.
Old 18th May 2019, 02:12 PM   #2779
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'd take him over the filthy Russian whore we have now.
Hands up who wants a filthy Russian whore!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:29 PM   #2780
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

meaningless statements about Clinton
In response to something about Biden & Sanders, how could "Hillary II", complete with the distinguisher added after the name, be literally about Hillary? It obviously must be about not her but somebody nicknamed "Hillary II, which is somebody else... like maybe the more Hillaryous one of the two people who were named in the quote that it was responding to...
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:39 PM   #2781
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
In response to something about Biden & Sanders, how could "Hillary II", complete with the distinguisher added after the name, be literally about Hillary? It obviously must be about not her but somebody nicknamed "Hillary II, which is somebody else... like maybe the more Hillaryous one of the two people who were named in the quote that it was responding to...
Is this helpful? How?
Old 18th May 2019, 03:04 PM   #2782
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

#3) I've never been in a bank that asked me my income to open an account. Some accounts have minimum amounts to keep open but there are always accounts with no minimum, or maybe anything above zero.

Congratulations on your luck and/or privilege
Old 18th May 2019, 03:11 PM   #2783
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
Congratulations on your luck and/or privilege
Where's your evidence banks ask about income before allowing an account? Perhaps you are thinking about a loan.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:25 PM   #2784
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Where's your evidence banks ask about income before allowing an account? Perhaps you are thinking about a loan.
First, I want to apologize about my post, as it was rude. I reacted emotionally.

Re: your question about evidence: I only have personal anecdotal evidence and anecdotal evidence from other working poor I know. I haven’t had a bank account in about 7 years. This is mostly my fault, as until last year I couldn’t find full time employment (I used to work for a major grocery store that hates anyone to work full time). Anyhow, I cash checks at the issuing banks, they always ask if I want an account there, then ask my income and deny me.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:26 PM   #2785
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
He has endorsed her and called her "his girl" way before she came on his show (for the second time) now.

Obviously she is the only one in the current set with the stones to beat Trump. If only the hoodwinked morons on the US "left" would be able to recognize an actual adult and stop cheering for fossils like creepy uncle Joe just because that's what the machine tells them to do. Trump would out-uncle him mercilessly as he already showed with that marvelous tweet welcoming him back.

As he would do with automatons like these Warren and Harris characters. And with Bernie who has already proven to not have what it takes to become POTUS.

Someone who is just as if not more progressive like Warren and with more name recognition and approval and Bernie Sanders is just on another level in either category.

Gabbard's approach has been ineffectual so far. I don't know what she has that Sanders doesn't. It appears you like her cause you want her to withdraw the U.S. from everywhere while other actors continue to do their thing.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:46 PM   #2786
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
First, I want to apologize about my post, as it was rude. I reacted emotionally.

Re: your question about evidence: I only have personal anecdotal evidence and anecdotal evidence from other working poor I know. I haven’t had a bank account in about 7 years. This is mostly my fault, as until last year I couldn’t find full time employment (I used to work for a major grocery store that hates anyone to work full time). Anyhow, I cash checks at the issuing banks, they always ask if I want an account there, then ask my income and deny me.
I just double checked.

You are wrong and/or misunderstanding something. Banks ask about incomes because they collect and sell data, and your debit card also functions as a faux credit card.

But you don't have to tell them to get an account.
Old 18th May 2019, 04:11 PM   #2787
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

I told you at least once before why Tulsi is superior to the clowns you are told to endorse. I ask that the next time you try to dismiss my arguments you at least try to do it in valid native language.
Old 18th May 2019, 07:07 PM   #2788
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Absolutely agree. But I don't think it is reasonable to ask me to listen tp 2.5 HOURS of a talk show to get a sense of a candidate.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 07:22 PM   #2789
SezMe
post-pre-born

Brainster, I think a better way of listing the candidates is by who has/hasn't made the threshold to make the debates because if someone does not get in the debates, they aren't really a serious candidate.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 07:27 PM   #2790
Tero
Graduate Poster

Biden! Front of the pack primarily because people think that he's the most electable!
It's even simpler. "People" polled don't bother to get news or listen to candidates. Once they hear final nominees they pick one. Twitter, FB and Foxnews for minor help. Biden will win nomination largely by name recognition. Maybe a slight Obama factor.

Last edited by Tero; 18th May 2019 at 07:40 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 07:53 PM   #2791
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely agree. But I don't think it is reasonable to ask me to listen tp 2.5 HOURS of a talk show to get a sense of a candidate.
Why even bother getting a sense of the candidate now? They could be gone by the time you get to make your meaningless decision about them.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:55 PM   #2792
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Brainster, I think a better way of listing the candidates is by who has/hasn't made the threshold to make the debates because if someone does not get in the debates, they aren't really a serious candidate.
I will be happy to trim the list when the DNC announces who's in and who's out. I'll admit that Gravel is unlikely to make it, and de Blasio's team is apparently managing expectations by saying he doesn't have enough time to achieve the donor threshold.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 11:38 PM   #2793
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Anyone see that trash woman Tulsi had her enemies list leaked? A lot of my Twitter friends are on it and it helps explain why they were being hit by an avalanche of BS reports the past month or so.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 05:56 AM   #2794
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Hands up who wants a filthy Russian whore!
Apparently, about half the Senate wants to be of service to one.
Old 20th May 2019, 01:24 AM   #2795
TofuFighter
Master Poster

What's that?
Most likely you would have looked this up on Urban Dictionary by now, but familiarising yourself with the terms like this that that alt-right /pol/tards use to circle-jerk each other is probably not a good use of your time.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 04:07 AM   #2796
Belz...
Fiend God

But still very much fertile unlike the tired old hags who rule over Europe.
Irrelevant. You said childless = not bothered with the future of humanity. I mean, it's ridiculous on its face, and there are plenty of people with children who don't care about the future, and having kids would give you interest in their future, not humanity as a whole. As usual your logic is pretty broken.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:16 PM   #2797
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

To Elizabeth Warren STFU about the Game of Thrones final season. It's not making you look good.
And you should have know better then to proclaim a fictional characterin an ongoing show a role model for women...particularly since that character going over to The Dark Side as a real possbilitly was established in the First Season. I think the expression is "Don't Count Your CHickens Before They Are Hatched".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:39 PM   #2798
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Anyone see that trash woman Tulsi had her enemies list leaked? A lot of my Twitter friends are on it and it helps explain why they were being hit by an avalanche of BS reports the past month or so.
Trash woman? Are you honestly expecting informational discussion with that opening?

What is this "enemies list?"

How do you know these "Twitter friends" are really on this list?

What "BS reports" are you referring to?

How much is an avalanche?

Because right now all I'm thinking is this is a vague "question" full of a whole lot of accusations.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 06:23 PM   #2799
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
To Elizabeth Warren STFU about the Game of Thrones final season. It's not making you look good.
In your eyes.

A lot more young women will vote for her than old white men, so don't blame her for playing to her demographic instead of yours.

Old white men should have the experience to choose on policy and ignore the social media nonsense.
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:41 PM   #2800
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I hate to say it but I'm going all in behind Biden. I'm even registering as a Democrat. I've never registered as a member of a political party before. Today though I did. I really like Mayor Pete and I want him to get a national stage in the next administration because his ideas deserve one. I want Harris to be a running mate. There are others in the pack who need national stages but I care about beating Trump and I feel like Biden can do that.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics