ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2018 elections

Old 19th September 2018, 05:36 PM   #481
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Does Cruz just think that Texas Republicans are that gullible and stupid, or does he know for a fact that they are?
I don't know how gullible Texas Republicans are, but ISF "skeptics" appear to be pretty gullible if they think Cruz was being serious.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 06:12 PM   #482
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I don't know how gullible Texas Republicans are, but ISF "skeptics" appear to be pretty gullible if they think Cruz was being serious.

You're claiming Cruz has a sense of humor?

Evidence?

And remember, you're talking about the same voters who spent eight years convinced that Obama was going to take away all their guns.

If they thought that was just a joke then the gun sales wouldn't have skyrocketed the way they did both times he won.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 19th September 2018 at 06:15 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 06:15 PM   #483
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Evidence?
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/920709146789515272
Old 19th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #484
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I agree, but his problem is that he is not a funny person. and his followers are not funny people. So, it becomes hard to tell when they are looking and they even have a hard time telling themselves when they are joking. So, while he may have been joking, I bet my mother-in-law beloved him. Also, I bet his wife dyes her hair.
Typo?

I'm pretty sure Cruz dyes his hair as well, he's just not as obvious about it as Trump.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 11:06 AM   #485
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Typo?
Yes, but I think it still works . . . sort of?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Cruz dyes his hair as well, he's just not as obvious about it as Trump.
It just seemed a weird thing to complain about. I mean hair dye has been popular in Texas since before Cruz moved here from Alberta, CA.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 11:11 AM   #486
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
That is pretty damn funny.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 03:48 PM   #487
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Interesting internal Republican polling on the tax cuts:

Quote:
A survey commissioned by the Republican National Committee has led the party to a glum conclusion regarding President Donald Trump’s signature legislative achievement: Voters overwhelmingly believe his tax overhaul helps the wealthy instead of average Americans.

By a 2-to-1 margin -- 61 percent to 30 percent -- respondents said the law benefits “large corporations and rich Americans” over “middle class families,” according to the survey, which was completed on Sept. 2 by the GOP firm Public Opinion Strategies and obtained by Bloomberg News.

The result was fueled by self-identified independent voters who said by a 36-point margin that large corporations and rich Americans benefit more from the tax law -- a result that was even more lopsided among Democrats. Republican voters said by a 38-point margin that the middle class benefits more.

When it comes to approval for the tax overhaul, American voters remain torn -- 44 percent favor it and 45 percent oppose it.

“Voters are evenly divided on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” the RNC-commissioned report said. “But, we’ve lost the messaging battle on the issue.”
Linky.
Old 20th September 2018, 04:50 PM   #488
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, in Florida, a major DeSantis donor says about Pres Obama:
**** the Muslim ******! Oh, but he didn't mean it.
Autocensor safe version: Eff the Muslim N-word. His bold.
Screenshot here, lots more in the thread.
And then there's his wife, who appeared at a Republican Women's group alongside this idiot. Birther, Bircher, really a jack-of-all-conspiracies.
Mrs. DeSantis (I strongly suspect she wouldn't prefer "Ms.") can and probably will blame it on the group who invited him. And what does that say about their party?
But hey, it's not all bad for DeSantis! Just for his party[/url].
Old 20th September 2018, 04:58 PM   #489
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

That guy's whole public persona as an evangelical christian genuinely worried about the threat of stuff like "the war on christmas" is totally fraudulent. Politicians like him hold their constituents in utter contempt.

Stuff like this is the real him. Yes, he was kind of joking here, but also kinda not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-vG_TdOT4
Old 20th September 2018, 06:08 PM   #490
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Collins, under indictment for violating insider trading laws (blatantly and poorly), has decided to begin actively campaigning again.

He's a stupid and vile criminal who has the audacity to say he must be reelected to keep the 'radical left' from implementing 'Canadian style healthcare' as if it were a bad thing, in a city that can see how much better that works by looking across the Peace Bridge.

He'll be reelected.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #491
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Chris Collins, under indictment for violating insider trading laws (blatantly and poorly), has decided to begin actively campaigning again.

He's a stupid and vile criminal who has the audacity to say he must be reelected to keep the 'radical left' from implementing 'Canadian style healthcare' as if it were a bad thing, in a city that can see how much better that works by looking across the Peace Bridge.

He'll be reelected.
He might not get re-elected. Single payer now has majority support among Republicans, too:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...e-for-all.html
Quote:
On Thursday, Reuters-Ipsos released a poll that shows (what I believe to be) an unprecedented level of support for Medicare for All, the American left’s brand-name for a single-payer, national health-insurance plan. The survey found a whopping 70 percent support for the proposal, with 84.5 percent of Democrats — and 51 percent of Republicans — voicing their approval.
I think Frank Luntz's messaging about Obamacare being a "massive big government takeover of healthcare!" has made it to where they can't really effectively fearmonger about "socialized medicine" any more. It just doesn't work like it did a decade ago.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:38 PM   #492
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting internal Republican polling on the tax cuts:

Linky.

Quote:
“But, we’ve lost the messaging battle on the issue.”
I think the GOP establishment has "lost the messaging battle" on pretty much all the issues besides abortion. That's why the party loyalists voted for Donald Trump and not Cruz or Jeb.

The GOP cannot "message" their way out of people being onto them as the party of making the rich richer as their raison d'être.
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:47 AM   #493
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Ted Cruz tweets: "In Beto O'Rourke's own words #TXSenateDebate"

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1043278255740973058

Listen to what Beto O'Rourke says.
This is either a very stupid tweet, or an odious dog whistle.

Last edited by Firestone; 22nd September 2018 at 09:48 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:03 AM   #494
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

His audience gets his point. "How dare he criticize our beloved police?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:04 PM   #495
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

It's the latter. The GOP has no interest in "small government" when it comes to black and Hispanic people, instead preferring "random or systematic state violence". If you actually like "small government", after all, the idea of police smearing someone who was murdered in his own apartment by one of their own would deeply offend you. This is why they'll go so far as to stand up for a cattle rancher that refuses to pay grazing fees, but not for black people in Ferguson, Chicago, or Baltimore when they face actual police abuse (and also why Cheeto Benito proposed that police around the nation be allowed to slam black and Latinx men into walls, scream slurs at them, and dig in their pockets and feel their genitals without apology - ie. "Stop and Frisk")

ETA: except, again, it's far too obvious to be a "dog whistle", since it's actually "Can you believe that these negros want to walk around freely?!"

Last edited by Mumbles; 22nd September 2018 at 10:09 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2018, 06:18 AM   #496
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
He might not get re-elected. Single payer now has majority support among Republicans, too:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...e-for-all.html

I think Frank Luntz's messaging about Obamacare being a "massive big government takeover of healthcare!" has made it to where they can't really effectively fearmonger about "socialized medicine" any more. It just doesn't work like it did a decade ago.
You don't hear much about death panels these days either.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2018, 07:29 AM   #497
Firestone

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
His audience gets his point. "How dare he criticize our beloved police?"
Ironic of course, given how much Trump and others in the GOP criticize law enforcement agencies these days.
Old 23rd September 2018, 07:31 AM   #498
Firestone

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's the latter. The GOP has no interest in "small government" when it comes to black and Hispanic people, instead preferring "random or systematic state violence". If you actually like "small government", after all, the idea of police smearing someone who was murdered in his own apartment by one of their own would deeply offend you. This is why they'll go so far as to stand up for a cattle rancher that refuses to pay grazing fees, but not for black people in Ferguson, Chicago, or Baltimore when they face actual police abuse (and also why Cheeto Benito proposed that police around the nation be allowed to slam black and Latinx men into walls, scream slurs at them, and dig in their pockets and feel their genitals without apology - ie. "Stop and Frisk")

ETA: except, again, it's far too obvious to be a "dog whistle", since it's actually "Can you believe that these negros want to walk around freely?!"
I know you are right, but still baffling that these things actually work.
Old 23rd September 2018, 05:41 PM   #499
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
Representative Scott Taylor, Republican of Virginia, has enjoyed a rapid political rise anchored in his valorous background as a member of the Navy SEALs, a credential with great resonance in a district that includes the world’s largest naval station and one of the highest concentrations of voters connected to the military. Fit, square-jawed and telegenic, he was expected to have a relatively easy time winning re-election in November.

But now he is threatened with a sudden fall: His campaign is facing accusations that it was part of an improper effort to help an independent candidate get on the ballot and siphon voters from his Democratic challenger. The allegations, which included using the names of dead people or voters who did not live in the district on signature petitions, were serious enough to warrant the appointment of a special prosecutor, and the independent candidate, Shaun Brown, was stricken from the ballot by the Virginia Supreme Court.

Mr. Taylor’s race is emblematic of an emerging problem for Republicans as they seek to maintain an increasingly tenuous grip on the House: A seat once considered relatively safe is now imperiled because of scandal, expanding an already broad field of Democratic opportunity.
Linky.
Old 23rd September 2018, 06:17 PM   #500
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

This is kind of sadly hilarious.

For the non-clickers:
Quote:
To attract Indian-American voters, a Republican party group in suburban Houston released a campaign ad with an image of Ganesha, the elephant-headed Hindu deity.
Old 23rd September 2018, 07:31 PM   #501
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
This is kind of sadly hilarious.

For the non-clickers:

I'm surprised they didn't use the clip from the Simpsons of Homer offering a peanut to an idol of Ganesha.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:26 AM   #502
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The 2016 Election for Republicans was about "Us vs. Illegal Immigrants".
The 2018 Election is about "Us vs. Women".

You know what they say: "First they came for the women...
...and got their ass handed to them."
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:52 PM   #503
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

NPR: The enthusiasm gap is gone:

Quote:
In July, there was a 10-point gap between the number of Democrats and Republicans saying the November elections were "very important." Now, that is down to 2 points, a statistical tie.
Pretty obvious conclusion here:

Quote:
With Democrats already up fired up for this election, the Kavanaugh confirmation fight has apparently had the effect of rousing a dormant GOP base.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 12:17 PM   #504
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Looking at my mail in ballot*

Florida why is "Ban on Offshore Drilling" and "Ban on Indoor Vaping" under the same referendum so they can't be voted on separately? Personally I'm not planning on voting one way for one and the other way for the other but I can think of plenty of reasonable reasons someone might want to and forcing people to vote the same way on two totally unrelated issues is dirty pool.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 12:42 AM   #505
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What I hope for for the Midterms, more than anything else, is a very high voter turnout (well above 50%).
That should put a damper on the myth of the "Silent Majority" all sides like to invoke whenever convenient.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:51 AM   #506
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Looking at my mail in ballot*

Florida why is "Ban on Offshore Drilling" and "Ban on Indoor Vaping" under the same referendum so they can't be voted on separately? Personally I'm not planning on voting one way for one and the other way for the other but I can think of plenty of reasonable reasons someone might want to and forcing people to vote the same way on two totally unrelated issues is dirty pool.
That's a classic example of a ballot initiative that should not be allowed because it combines two completely unrelated things.
Old 7th October 2018, 02:08 AM   #507
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That's a classic example of a ballot initiative that should not be allowed because it combines two completely unrelated things.
Works on Capital Hill....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 05:31 AM   #508
Drewbot
Philosopher

This isn't the Blue Wave you were looking for...

<<Waves hand like Obi Wan>>
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 01:37 PM   #509
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The NY Times is trying something new-showing the outcome of their polling of Texas' Senate race in real time. It does reveal some of the difficulties of polling these days. As of now they have made 47 phone calls and 1 person has talked to them. Ouch!
Old 8th October 2018, 01:55 PM   #510
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The NY Times is trying something new-showing the outcome of their polling of Texas' Senate race in real time. It does reveal some of the difficulties of polling these days. As of now they have made 47 phone calls and 1 person has talked to them. Ouch!

I wonder if that friendly lady ever fixed the problem she was having with her headset.

https://xkcd.com/2053/
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 11:36 PM   #511
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Taylor Swift is breaking a lot of Nazi hearts coming out against Marsha Blackburn.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 12:47 AM   #512
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Taylor Swift is breaking a lot of Nazi hearts coming out against Marsha Blackburn.

Trump has tweeted he likes TaySway “25% less”. The idea that the most powerful man in the world is taking the time to tweet about a bloody pop star is embarrassing.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 05:46 AM   #513
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Trump has tweeted he likes TaySway “25% less”. The idea that the most powerful man in the world is taking the time to tweet about a bloody pop star is embarrassing.

It's almost as if he's actually a C-List TV personality who's only real concern is ratings and media attention.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 12:10 PM   #514
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I don't understand that one person. Who are these people who answer calls from people who aren't in their contacts list?

I was with family over the weekend and they answered their landline every time it rang. And then sat and waited patiently to tell the scammer that they were not interested, then repeated their insistence of not not being interested and then finally hung up in disgust. I kept asking why and they didn't seem to understand the question. Phone rings, you answer it, what else would you do? What if it is an important call? Remember that one time our friend was stuck in the airport and needed our help and they called from a pay phone? Yeah, but in the 35 years since then things have changed.

Old 9th October 2018, 04:48 PM   #515
Tony99
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I don't understand that one person. Who are these people who answer calls from people who aren't in their contacts list?

I was with family over the weekend and they answered their landline every time it rang. And then sat and waited patiently to tell the scammer that they were not interested, then repeated their insistence of not not being interested and then finally hung up in disgust. I kept asking why and they didn't seem to understand the question. Phone rings, you answer it, what else would you do? What if it is an important call? Remember that one time our friend was stuck in the airport and needed our help and they called from a pay phone? Yeah, but in the 35 years since then things have changed.
That exact exchange with my 88 year old mom this weekend.

Her: Is there something you can do about all these calls I get on my "home" phone? I'm on the do not call list! The only calls I get are from sales people and people with heavy accents I can't understand.

Me: Why do you still have a "home" phone? Does so-and-so, or so-and-so ever call you on that phone?

Her: Well no, they all call my cell or text.

Me: Seems like you could save some money by getting rid of your "home" phone.

Her: But what if its an emergency?

To keep it on topic she, will vote a straight R ticket in November.
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:34 AM   #516
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status...21777650769920

Quote:
As @pemalevy reports, ND GOP wrote voter ID law after Heitkamp won her Senate election by 3,000 votes with strong Native support. Tribal IDs, which use PO Boxes for addresses, are not valid IDs under the law, "a specification that seems designed to disenfranchise Native voters"
Picture of article embedded in tweet.
Old 10th October 2018, 03:41 AM   #517
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status...21777650769920

Picture of article embedded in tweet.
I'm sure the Supreme Court will strike this down ...
...or not.
Old 10th October 2018, 09:49 AM   #518
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Tony99 View Post
To keep it on topic she, will vote a straight R ticket in November.
I was pretty hopeful about Beto until this weekend. I took a drive in the country west of you and for 2 hours straight all I saw were Cruz signs and other signs for Republicans. Beto will win the cities pretty easily, but I worry that won't be enough.

Also, I was up on the Devil's Backbone and realized that El Rancho Cima was closed. Apparently a flood back in 2015 and now it is for sale. Weird. Know anyone with $24M who wants to invest in my nostalgia?

Old 10th October 2018, 02:21 PM   #519
CORed
Philosopher

Evidence?

And remember, you're talking about the same voters who spent eight years convinced that Obama was going to take away all their guns.

If they thought that was just a joke then the gun sales wouldn't have skyrocketed the way they did both times he won.
I don't know if any gun manufacturers gave money to Obama's campaigns, but they certainly should have.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 06:27 PM   #520
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Blackburn is leading in the live NY Times poll by a whopping 17%. Sounds like Taylor Swift will be the one heartbroken on Election Day. Maybe she can turn it into a song.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics