ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th December 2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Representative-elect says vaccines cause autism.

And he's a doctor. A genuine MD, not a homeopath.
Quote:
"Let me say this about autism," Green said. "I have committed to people in my community, up in Montgomery County, to stand on the CDCís desk and get the real data on vaccines. Because there is some concern that the rise in autism is the result of the preservatives that are in our vaccines."
Source
Unsurprisingly, the dumbass is also a Young-Earth Creationist and thinks being trans is a disease. The latter cost him the job of Secretary of the Army.
Old 12th December 2018, 03:51 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Anti Vax crap is non partisan; I have seen some Demcoratic candidates from the SF Bay Area mouth the same crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Philosopher

What scares me more is not the fact this guy holds these views, but that enough people are stupid enough to vote him into office.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Bob001
Philosopher

Not defending this guy, but by saying something "there is real concern," is he maybe just playing to his base? He's not actually saying he's against vaccines. Of course, as a doctor he could try to educate his base, but that might be too much to ask.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Anti Vax crap is non partisan; I have seen some Demcoratic candidates from the SF Bay Area mouth the same crap.
Agreed, but that sort of BS doesn't belong anywhere with authority.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Philosopher

But there is no real concern. Studies have shown that vaccines do not cause autism.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/autism.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 04:30 PM   #7
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

What do they call the person who finishes at the bottom of their class in med school?

Doctor.
Old 12th December 2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
What do they call the person who finishes at the bottom of their class in med school?

Doctor.
Hopefully, not "my doctor".
Old 12th December 2018, 04:51 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Agreed, but that sort of BS doesn't belong anywhere with authority.
Ageed. At least one SF City Council Rep is a fanatic Anti Vaxxer and a "Alternative Medicine" woo advocate, who has managed to get some faith healers of the New Age variety funding from the City. That Rep needs to go, as does the moron from North Carolina.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 05:06 PM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Ignorance abounds. My last boss was a degree-holding, experienced nurse who believed the thing that "blood is blue when it's inside the body, and only turns red when exposed to oxygen".
Old 12th December 2018, 05:08 PM   #11
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Ignorance abounds. My last boss was a degree-holding, experienced nurse who believed the thing that "blood is blue when it's inside the body, and only turns red when exposed to oxygen".
That's silly. Everyone knows only royals have blue blood.
Old 12th December 2018, 05:13 PM   #12
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's silly. Everyone knows only royals have blue blood.
And Horseshoe crabs.
Old 12th December 2018, 05:14 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
And Horseshoe crabs.
That would be KING crabs!
Old 12th December 2018, 05:40 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Which is why I didn't mention his party.

The YEC, anti-gay, and anti-trans stuff does tend to concentrate in one of them, however.
Old 12th December 2018, 05:54 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And Horseshoe crabs.
Because royal houses have been interbreeding with horseshoe crabs for many generations. A reporter once tried to confront Queen Elizabeth II about that, but she startled and scuttled rapidly behind some rocks in a tidal pool.
Old 12th December 2018, 05:56 PM   #16
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Woop woop, it's the crabby-joke police!

Last edited by Lambchops; 12th December 2018 at 05:58 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Because royal houses have been interbreeding with horseshoe crabs for many generations. A reporter once tried to confront Queen Elizabeth II about that, but she startled and scuttled rapidly behind some rocks in a tidal pool.
That made me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes!
Old 12th December 2018, 06:06 PM   #18
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Hey, crustaceans are people too!
Old 12th December 2018, 06:08 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Crab lives matter!
Old 12th December 2018, 06:22 PM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Which brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "got the crabs".
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 06:48 PM   #21
Kid Eager
Philosopher

That made me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes!
Crab eyes?
Old 12th December 2018, 06:50 PM   #22
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Crab lives matter!
Fight the powah!
Old 12th December 2018, 07:29 PM   #23
Venom
Master Poster

crackpot.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 08:41 PM   #24
Donal
Illuminator

Woop woop, it's the crabby-joke police!

Someone's about to get pinched
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 06:49 AM   #25
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
crackpot.
Better mend it, otherwise be hard to boil those crabs.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 08:23 AM   #26
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

What did he think red blood cells do?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics