ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags protest incidents , protest issues , Seattle incidents

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #1681
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Louisville police arrest a city councilwoman on felony riot and then besieged a church that was harboring protestors.

Hearts and minds baby!
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM   #1682
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Fake Church.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #1683
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Leaving this here for Emilyís Cat who has claimed that violent rhetoric only comes from the left:
I never claimed that.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #1684
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I never claimed that.
Oops...
I don't take the side of any of them. And if you took a moment to look around, you would perhaps recognize that the only people on ISF who routinely advocate for violence are all people who consider themselves progressive leftists.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #1685
Emily's Cat

Oops...
Fair point.

Allow me to amend that to say that that the only people on ISF whose posts I see who routinely advocate for violence are all people who consider themselves progressive leftists.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #1686
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
de-humanization of the people you disagree with: necessary to justify violence and oppression of your fellow human beings.
Aren't the people swarming the vehicles dehumanizing and oppressing the occupants of the vehicles? I'm absolutely not suggesting that two wrongs make a right but your statement seems conspicuously skewed.

Last edited by Scopedog; Yesterday at 09:27 AM.
Scopedog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #1687
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Fair point.

Allow me to amend that to say that that the only people on ISF whose posts I see who routinely advocate for violence are all people who consider themselves progressive leftists.
Sure if you ignore the people advocating for the cops to just shoot the protestors and the "Well what did the expect when you hang out with that kind of crowd? They deserve it for being a thug" excuses and all that, sure.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #1688
johnny karate

Fair point.

Thanks for acknowledgement.

However, if your original claim is reduced to only include phenomena which you personally witness, it renders the underlying point moot.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #1689
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Consider this event in Exarchia, Athens last year. IIRC it was successful in delaying the advance of the cops to Exarchia Square to the extent that the vast majority of undocumented people the cops were trying to capture, and effectively throw in camps, had "disappeared" from the festival there by the time the cops had managed to finally arrive.
Though I should probably add what happened afterwards. When the cops eventually arrived at the square and found that their "loot" had disappeared they launched into what can only be described as a murderous rage and proceeded to attack the social center K*Vox located at the square, presumably to try to "vacuum garbage" inside after failing at the festival itself, attacking anyone trying to film. Luckily K*Vox could be successfully defended and the cops didn't get in, though with one person hospitalized in the fight at the entrance. Anyway, my point is, don't underestimate the cops' response when you frustrate them like that (if K*Vox hadn't been successfully defended people inside would've simply been beaten crippled or even to death). Then of course, maybe none of this even applies to the US, as the tactic assumes that cops can't just pull a gun and execute you on the spot for the slightest sign of disobedience.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; Yesterday at 10:05 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #1690
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Oregon State Police and Multnomah County Sheriff's Office turn down a request by Portland Police Bureau to help in crowd control during Proud Boy rally this weekend.
KGW link
Gov. Kate Brown is giving a live press conference right now. Tear gas will be allowed by the police. The highest priority of law enforcement is keeping Proud Boys and counter-protesters separated from each other.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #1691
caveman1917
Philosopher

The highest priority of law enforcement is keeping Proud Boys and counter-protesters separated from each other.
How would they do that when they can't even keep themselves and Proud Boys separated from each other?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #1692
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Oops...
I don't think I routinely do that, which is precisely why you pounced on it this time like you did.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #1693
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
Aren't the people swarming the vehicles dehumanizing and oppressing the occupants of the vehicles? I'm absolutely not suggesting that two wrongs make a right but your statement seems conspicuously skewed.
I'd rather be in a swarmed vehicle than under one.

The two situations are not equivalent.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #1694
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Gov. Kate Brown is giving a live press conference right now. Tear gas will be allowed by the police. The highest priority of law enforcement is keeping Proud Boys and counter-protesters separated from each other.
Does either group have a permit?
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #1695
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Oregon governor has declared a state of emergency for this weekend's proud boy fascist rally.

Importantly, this means the fash friendly PPB aren't in charge. Oregon state cops will take the lead.

This may dissuade right wing violence. The extreme permissiveness of the Portland police are a big reason why the proud boys, some who travel from out of state, seem to prefer this city.

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status...599640065?s=19

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; Yesterday at 11:17 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #1696
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Oregon governor has declared a state of emergency for this weekend's proud boy fascist rally.

Importantly, this means the fash friendly PPB aren't in charge. Oregon state cops will take the lead.

This may dissuade right wing violence. The extreme permissiveness of the Portland police are a big reason why the proud boys, some who travel from out of state, seem to prefer this city.

So what's the worst the Proud Boys (who are a soft, cucky, multiracial basic Trump supporter group - not fascist) have done in Portland? Hit some aggressive Antifa with paintballs?

On the other side, I'm aware of y'know... murders, tons and tons of arson, tons of physical attacks on people... looting... etc.

So lay out for me what the Proud Boys are guilty of, as compared to that.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #1697
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
So what's the worst the Proud Boys (who are a soft, cucky, multiracial basic Trump supporter group - not fascist) have done in Portland? Hit some aggressive Antifa with paintballs?

On the other side, I'm aware of y'know... murders, tons and tons of arson, tons of physical attacks on people... looting... etc.

So lay out for me what the Proud Boys are guilty of, as compared to that.
One of them vandalised the sidewalks when he bled to death all over them from a gunshot wound. Probably needed a pressure washer to get all of "Jay" off the ground
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #1698
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

One of them vandalised the sidewalks when he bled to death all over them from a gunshot wound. Probably needed a pressure washer to get all of "Jay" off the ground
Whatever issues the Proud Boys may have, for you to look at the Antifa / BLM crowd and what they've been doing over the last several months and still end up feeling like they're the good guys, even to the point where you seemingly bask in the glow of a murder they performed, seems to me to be a strange place to be at mentally.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #1699
johnny karate

I don't think I routinely do that, which is precisely why you pounced on it this time like you did.
I like how you advocate for mass murder and express violent fantasies in graphic detail, and then your defense is ďI only do it occasionallyĒ. Classic.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #1700
Mumbles
Philosopher

Depends on how the Oregon state PD behaves, I suppose. Forgive me for finding this...less than reassuring, but that state does have a history after all.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #1701
johnny karate

Whatever issues the Proud Boys may have, for you to look at the Antifa / BLM crowd and what they've been doing over the last several months and still end up feeling like they're the good guys, even to the point where you seemingly bask in the glow of a murder they performed, seems to me to be a strange place to be at mentally.
Well, letís see... someone who advocated for mass murder in this very thread is telling us that BLM and Antifa are more of a threat than the Proud Boys and their ilk.

Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security have determined that the biggest threat of terrorism is coming from the right wing.

Who to believe... who to believe...
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #1702
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Does either group have a permit?
Neither have permits. The proud boys applied for a permit but it was explicitly denied because of COVID restrictions.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #1703
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Alan Swinney claiming there is a warrant for his arrest, but no corroborating evidence at this time.

Hard to say exactly what crime Swinney would be arrested for as there are a variety of well documented assaults to choose from.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #1704
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Neither have permits. The proud boys applied for a permit but it was explicitly denied because of COVID restrictions.
In that case I'd say the PB's should meet somewhere else that takes at least4 hours to get to by the other group in Portland--- like Idaho...or Wyoming.
Or better yet, no one meet for anything.

It sounds like an old school 'rumble' when they speak of it doesnt it?

Last edited by Sherkeu; Yesterday at 06:13 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #1705
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

More violent rhetoric from the right as disgusting racist Michelle Malkin thanks Kyle Rittenhouse for his "courage."
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #1706
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

After all these years, I still somehow manage to find myself astonished at the embarrassing stupidity that fuels conservative rage.

Let's play a little guessing game. I'm going to provide some right-wing quotes regarding a recent incident (caught on video) involving a group of left-wing protesters. After reading the quotes, I want you to imagine what the video actually shows, and only then can you watch it to see how close you got. I'm hiding some of the details so as to not spoil the surprise.

Charlie Kirk of Turning Point USA:
This is clearly organized and financed domestic terrorism. Who is behind this?

Where is the FBI? Arrest them all!

Pathetic grifter Dave Rubin:
Seems that [company] can easily find out who rented that [redacted]. Itís about to be used by domestic terrorists. Could they be legally culpable?

House Minority leader Kevin McCarthy:
You canít just supply people with this type of armor without resources, without funding. Where is that funding coming from and why is it being used? How are these people knowing to come? Are there training facilities that are teaching these people how to do this? This is a grave concern, and this is something that the FBI should be focused on.

Fox & Friends host Lawrence Jones:
They're well-prepared, they're well-funded, but it seems like no one wants to go in there and shut it down. If they have it on video, it shouldn't take this long to do investigative work, to figure out who purchased the [redacted], to find out who's behind it, and shut em all down. They have facial recognition technology and use them to get real criminals off the street.

So there are your clues. What do you think happened? Imagine you heard all of this from someone who was prone to a decent amount of exaggeration. We heard references to terrorism, crime, coordination and funding... What could it be? Lock in your answer, and then click the link below to view the 30 seconds of extremely shocking footage.

Viewer discretion is advised.

I'm not joking. That's it. That is the video that has all these people terrified.

Mediaite link for more info.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #1707
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
After all these years, I still somehow manage to find myself astonished at the embarrassing stupidity that fuels conservative rage.

Let's play a little guessing game. I'm going to provide some right-wing quotes regarding a recent incident (caught on video) involving a group of left-wing protesters. After reading the quotes, I want you to imagine what the video actually shows, and only then can you watch it to see how close you got. I'm hiding some of the details so as to not spoil the surprise. ***SNIP***
I actually agree on this.

I've been hearing all these people going on about the UHaul, and "who's funding this?" etc.

It strikes me as silly. The left / Antifa types anticipated that the decision might go this way, knew they'd want to protest if it did, so they brought UHauls full of protest materials ready to go - signs and what not.

So what? This seems actually fairly normal to me. I mean I think these people are idiots and completely misguided, but pulling signs and stuff out of a truck? After they've been protesting all year?

I don't see the issue. Nor does it strike me as something that would require all that much funding.

Now, is there probably merit to the idea of like, Soros funding and stuff? Sure - but this doesn't strike me as compelling evidence of it. The more depressing realization may be that there are enough total POS people like this in America now, that you wouldn't even need to fund / encourage it to get this kind of stuff.

EDIT: The real issue if someone wants to get upset about something would be the other vehicles somewhere a lot less public, that didn't probably get opened up until the evening, with ready made molotovs, bricks for throwing, weapons, etc. I'm sure such caches of items were around and ready, but again this doesn't seem to me to imply some big source of funding - and it's no great revelation. This is what Antifa is / does.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; Today at 12:15 AM.
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #1708
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Depends on how the Oregon state PD behaves, I suppose. Forgive me for finding this...less than reassuring, but that state does have a history after all.
I don't have tremendous confidence in the Oregon state cops, but the PPB has proven itself to be especially terrible when it comes to policing fascist violence. It's pretty clear that the PPB sees armed right wing vigilantes as their allies and grant them tremendous latitude to commit extrajudicial violence.
Old Today, 08:37 AM   #1709
Scopedog
Muse

I don't have tremendous confidence in the Oregon state cops, but the PPB has proven itself to be especially terrible when it comes to policing fascist violence. It's pretty clear that the PPB sees armed right wing vigilantes as their allies and grant them tremendous latitude to commit extrajudicial violence.
If this is true, then why is it true? Most or all of the leadership, legislative, and law enforcement roles in Portland and Oregon (along with many other cities and states experiencing frequent rioting, looting, and arson) seem to have been occupied by liberals and Democrats for many years. What has prevented them from implementing reasonable reforms that would make them stand out as at least moving toward models of community-collaborative and generally non-fascist policing that BLM, antifa, and the far-left seem to be asking for?

I think it's because most politicians are pragmatic corporatists that mostly do things that make money for lobbyists, special interests, and high dollar contributors. The politicians point and say: "The other side stopped us from doing thing! (that they didn't actually want to do, while they sigh in relief)"

Alternatively, the Portland police aren't that bad and the perspective of BLM, antifa, and far leftists is fundamentally flawed and skewed. These groups hate liberals and Democrats so no changes or reforms will ever satisfy them anyway.

This isn't a gotcha post. I'm curious about any other answers that can be offered.

Last edited by Scopedog; Today at 08:49 AM.
Scopedog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #1710
chrispy
Muse

Anyone else think Portland today ends badly? I just saw video of the Facists drinking beeer while armed with rifles. Doesn't bode well for a peacuful evening.
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #1711
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Anyone else think Portland today ends badly? I just saw video of the Facists drinking beeer while armed with rifles. Doesn't bode well for a peacuful evening.
American Freedoms for the win! The rest of the civilized world stares in amazement.
Old Today, 12:30 PM   #1712
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
yeah, I'm watching some of the same images. An extremely volatile situation that is likely to only get worse.
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #1713
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
More violent rhetoric from the right as disgusting racist Michelle Malkin thanks Kyle Rittenhouse for his "courage."
What is violent in that tweet? I'm not following this inference.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #1714
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

* Kyle looks up from carving notches in his gun stock*
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #1715
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Well, letís see... someone who advocated for mass murder in this very thread is telling us that BLM and Antifa are more of a threat than the Proud Boys and their ilk.

Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security have determined that the biggest threat of terrorism is coming from the right wing.

Who to believe... who to believe...
Most skeptics would agree that believing whatever a senior Trump administration official is reported to have said is the best way to go.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #1716
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
If this is true, then why is it true? Most or all of the leadership, legislative, and law enforcement roles in Portland and Oregon (along with many other cities and states experiencing frequent rioting, looting, and arson) seem to have been occupied by liberals and Democrats for many years. What has prevented them from implementing reasonable reforms that would make them stand out as at least moving toward models of community-collaborative and generally non-fascist policing that BLM, antifa, and the far-left seem to be asking for?
Yet again, it's because most elected officials are unable to toss out senior police management - and this typically includes union and fraternal order leaderships who fight hard for violent and/or racist police to continue to operate without penalty. As one more prominent example, check out Pat Lynch's screeching about how Bill de Blasio had "blood on his hands" when a Georgia resident, having shot his ex-girlfriend in Baltimore County in Maryland, travelled to Bed-Stuy and killed two police officers. And why is this?

1) De Blasio stated that he discussed how to deal with police with his (noticably black) son - a move which police should support, given that they claim that moving too fast, moving too slow, not moving, raising one's hands, lowering one's hands, reaching for ID after they request to see ID, wearing rad clothes, wearing blue clothes, wearing a hoodie, carrying a gun in an open carry state, and being chased by a wannabe vigilante are among the many reasons that justify young black men being shot;

2) De Blasio had police stop harassing young black and Hispanic men, in keeping with federal court rulings that such behavior was unconstitutional;

3) De Blasio allowed nonviolent protests, which have long been seen as fully constitutional.

Pat Lynch also complained about the "lack of support" from city hall for this rally where police wore "I Can Breathe" shirts to mock the murder of Eric Garner for standing outside (it was claimed that he was selling loose cigarettes, but police later said that a lieutenant saw him standing around, and demanded that they remove him). Chief O'Meara, photographed in one such "I Can Breathe" shirt, was one of the cops who, earlier this year, after police spent weeks attacking protestors, spoke at a press conference demanding that everyone "respect" them and to stop treating NYPD officers "like animals and thugs".

IOW, there's little chance that GOP officials, who are openly pro-brutality (note that De Blasio's two predecessors include then-republican Mike BLoomberg, who applauded racial harassment by police, and republican Rudy Guiliani, who did the same - and literally announced his mayoral bid in a rally where drunken police flung beer cans, jumped on cars, and screamed racial slurs)

I'm not surprised at all that police in Oregon have many of the same issues, if not more - Oregon initially banned black people from the state entirely, which is part of why it's a famous home area for violent racist white supremacists today. That's why I'm highly skeptical that they'll do a good job in this case.

(I'll note that Sarah Iannorone, who is running for Portland mayor against incumbent Ted Wheeler, seems to understand the problem. What she can do about it is another matter, however)

Last edited by Mumbles; Today at 02:24 PM.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #1717
johnny karate

In fairness, you didnít think a cop running over someoneís head with a bicycle was anything more than rude, so you might not be the best judge.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events