ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:00 PM   #41
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Why not, when other species have been? Answer: Politics. Today, you can't discuss the science of race without being called a racist. My Kudos to the group here, this is the first discussion I have ever had where in nobody called me a racist for bring forth the genetic differences. Thanks for the podium.
Let's let a trained, practicing and published geneticist speak. I recommend reading his lengthy rebuttals in the comments section. You will find Minoosh's comment above, for example, to be spot on.

As for your complaint, your comments reflect motivated reasoning toward an end: racism.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 20th September 2020 at 11:03 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #42
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Hlafordlaes;13230757....

As for your complaint, your comments reflect motivated reasoning toward an end: racism.[/QUOTE]

That is your opinion, which I believe is anti-science.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #43
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Fine. Moving on...
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #44
Arcade22
Philosopher

Many blacks in America can trace their genealogical records to a GGGGfather who was a slave owner. Is that what you meant?
Surely even people who claim that they are African Americans can trace their ancestry back to someone who was African American, no matter how much of a "lightskin" they happen to be.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #45
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Surely even people who claim that they are African Americans can trace their ancestry back to someone who was African American, no matter how much of a "lightskin" they happen to be.
Certainly. Except for the woman in the OP.

OT: I am amazed at how much emphasism people put on ONE ancestor. George Washington you say? But he was only one of your 128 GGGGGGparents.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #46
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, that 99.9% the same? That is the original African genes. That other .1% is the mutations since, including in Africa. And it accounts for Tay-Sachs, sickle cell, lactose intolerance, variations in alcohol metabolism, Pima Indians & diabetes, Benedryl psychosis, ear wax hardness, Covid immunity, breast cancer,.....

Yet you folks are telling me that merely looking in to genetic differences in man makes me a racist. And then you claim Republicans are anti-science. Oh, the (where do you draw the line between irony and hypocrisy?).
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #47
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, that 99.9% the same? That is the original African genes. That other .1% is the mutations since, including in Africa. And it accounts for Tay-Sachs, sickle cell, lactose intolerance, variations in alcohol metabolism, Pima Indians & diabetes, Benedryl psychosis, ear wax hardness, Covid immunity, breast cancer,.....

Yet you folks are telling me that merely looking in to genetic differences in man makes me a racist. And then you claim Republicans are anti-science. Oh, the (where do you draw the line between irony and hypocrisy?).
The claim I'm disputing is the one you made of races being "pure" before they began to intermingle. I don't think you're racist because you are interested in genetic differences. It's your theory of "pure" races that sounds suspect to me. It's not, as far as I can tell, supported by any science. Further, you say these pure races all existed in Africa before human migration began. When someone asks you to support this, you say different regions/populations have different probabilities for diseases and about a zillion other traits. Yes, and? That doesn't prove what you think it does. There are no bright lines. It's a continuum.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #48
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

... Yet you folks are telling me that merely looking in to genetic differences in man makes me a racist. And then you claim Republicans are anti-science. Oh, the (where do you draw the line between irony and hypocrisy?).
If you were merely looking into it, you would've started with the science.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events