IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion

Closed Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 02:58 PM   #1401
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
To all the anti-choice men: I don't care what your opinion on abortion is. Until you have to face the same decisions that pregnant under any circumstance women and girls have to make or when you have legislators telling you that you have no autonomy over your own body, then I'll care. Until then, your opinion on this has zero relevance so ST*U.
While I get what you're saying I must beg to differ. I think it is possible for a person with thought and reason and an ability to understand other people's dilemmas, to understand some things without having had personally to face them. I think to suggest otherwise rather trivializes the ability of many people to think well and do the right thing, and also, in a sense, dismisses the religious blindness, bias and error of those who think badly as simply a systemic deficiency, rather than an evil for which they are entirely responsible.

Being a man, and being separated from the immediacy of choice is, I'm sure, a contributing factor, as are religion, ignorance and emotional baggage, but to require some kind of qualification for opinion is a dangerous invitation to discrediting criticism in general, not all that different in substance from the argument war hawks like Dean Rusk rallied against anti-war protestors a couple of generations ago.

Let the anti-choice critics shut up, by all means, not just because they're men but because they are wrong.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:24 PM   #1402
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
While I get what you're saying I must beg to differ. I think it is possible for a person with thought and reason and an ability to understand other people's dilemmas, to understand some things without having had personally to face them. I think to suggest otherwise rather trivializes the ability of many people to think well and do the right thing, and also, in a sense, dismisses the religious blindness, bias and error of those who think badly as simply a systemic deficiency, rather than an evil for which they are entirely responsible.

Being a man, and being separated from the immediacy of choice is, I'm sure, a contributing factor, as are religion, ignorance and emotional baggage, but to require some kind of qualification for opinion is a dangerous invitation to discrediting criticism in general, not all that different in substance from the argument war hawks like Dean Rusk rallied against anti-war protestors a couple of generations ago.

Let the anti-choice critics shut up, by all means, not just because they're men but because they are wrong.
We'll have to disagree on this one and I rarely disagree with you. Anti-choice men need to shut up because they will never, ever be faced with this and I'd bet if a bunch of women legislated removing their right to the autonomy of their own bodies, they'd be having fits. Can you imagine women legislating that men have to have a vasectomy or that they can't have one if they so choose?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:42 PM   #1403
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

We'll have to disagree on this one and I rarely disagree with you. Anti-choice men need to shut up because they will never, ever be faced with this and I'd bet if a bunch of women legislated removing their right to the autonomy of their own bodies, they'd be having fits. Can you imagine women legislating that men have to have a vasectomy or that they can't have one if they so choose?
We're probably more in agreement than not even so, though I do think it possible (at least i damned well hope so) for a man to be pro choice and for the right reasons, without having a scalpel brandished at his private parts. And, of course, it's also quite possible for women to be anti-choice as well. But I do think that much of the current problem is a matter of a misguided sense of male privilege, that presumes that there is something especially different about certain parts of a woman's body that removes it from the common idea of what ownership of one's self means, and I do think if they had to face a similar issue in their own bodies, they would come to think differently.

I don't recall when or where I first heard it, and probably many times, but agree that if men got pregnant, abortion would be in the bill of rights.

I just don't think it's the only reason for being wrong, nor that role reversal is the only way to understand it.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:54 PM   #1404
slyjoe
Illuminator

We're probably more in agreement than not even so, though I do think it possible (at least i damned well hope so) for a man to be pro choice and for the right reasons, without having a scalpel brandished at his private parts. And, of course, it's also quite possible for women to be anti-choice as well. But I do think that much of the current problem is a matter of a misguided sense of male privilege, that presumes that there is something especially different about certain parts of a woman's body that removes it from the common idea of what ownership of one's self means, and I do think if they had to face a similar issue in their own bodies, they would come to think differently.

I don't recall when or where I first heard it, and probably many times, but agree that if men got pregnant, abortion would be in the bill of rights.

I just don't think it's the only reason for being wrong, nor that role reversal is the only way to understand it.
Stacyhs, sorry but I think I have to agree with bruto here. Because I'm a man I need to STFU on abortion? I don't think so. There are a lot of things that you can conscientiously weigh in on without having to experience those things.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 04:17 PM   #1405
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not the only way, but about as close as is possible although I don't think that men and women can truly understand what it's like to be the opposite sex.

Women can be anti-choice, but at least they do it from a female perspective and their bodily autonomy is not being denied them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 04:20 PM   #1406
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Stacyhs, sorry but I think I have to agree with bruto here. Because I'm a man I need to STFU on abortion? I don't think so. There are a lot of things that you can conscientiously weigh in on without having to experience those things.
If you are anti-choice, then yes. If you're not, then you're not denying me the right to control my own body.
Old 23rd July 2022, 05:56 PM   #1407
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
TLDR: I supported Roe v Wade, but every abortion is an “execution” by a terrible personnel who absolutely should be punished.
And I’m a conservative who thinks government should trump individual rights.
Don’t be so highly partisan.
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:23 PM   #1408
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

For men who believe a zygote is a human being there are much better ways to decrease abortion than criminalizing it.

With that in mind, Stacy is exactly right, they need to ST*U unless it's to promote constructive ways to decrease abortion.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:25 PM   #1409
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Stacyhs, sorry but I think I have to agree with bruto here. Because I'm a man I need to STFU on [criminalizing] abortion? I don't think so. There are a lot of things that you can conscientiously weigh in on without having to experience those things.
ftfy

It's not about experiencing it like a white person can still talk about racism. It's about a bunch of men making criminals out of women and they have no clue what that is actually about.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd July 2022 at 07:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 01:19 AM   #1410
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
ftfy

It's not about experiencing it like a white person can still talk about racism. It's about a bunch of men making criminals out of women and they have no clue what that is actually about.
A white person can never truly understand racism the way a person of color in this country can. They'll never face it just as a man will never face being told he has no control over her own body. That's why white people need to ST*U when they tell people of color that there is no systemic racism and that they are treated equally in this country.
Old 24th July 2022, 06:05 AM   #1411
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

That's why white people need to ST*U when they tell people of color that there is no systemic racism and that they are treated equally in this country.
...and listen.

Folks always seem to forget that last part. "STFU and listen"
Old 24th July 2022, 11:46 AM   #1412
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

"You're not allowed to argue because you're a man" is quite possibly the most short-sighted argument for abortion rights I've ever heard.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 12:11 PM   #1413
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
"You're not allowed to argue because you're a man" is quite possibly the most short-sighted argument for abortion rights I've ever heard.
Isn't the position more like "you shouldn't be allowed to dictate what I do with my body because you have absolutely no idea what I'm going through"?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 12:22 PM   #1414
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

It's also somewhat in the context of decades of examples of committee meetings, hearings, and Sunday morning news roundtables with literally all male participants and an entirely reasonable outburst of frustration.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 12:56 PM   #1415
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Isn't the position more like "you shouldn't be allowed to dictate what I do with my body because you have absolutely no idea what I'm going through"?
That's what's meant, yes, but that's not what's said. It's a ridiculous self-own that plays right into bigoted gender politics.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 01:02 PM   #1416
BobTheCoward
Banned

There isn't a position on the issue espoused by a woman that isn't also espoused by at least one man. It doesn't seem to solve the issue by listening to women. Women may be able to provide specific anecdotes, but anecdotes are not good data.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 02:07 PM   #1417
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

That's what's meant, yes, but that's not what's said. It's a ridiculous self-own that plays right into bigoted gender politics.
Are you in the right thread? What has Roe vs Wade got to do with gender politics?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 02:16 PM   #1418
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think this is the point, and one I probably more agree with than disagree with in my spat with StacyS. I think a man can argue, but if that argument comes from a failure to understand or to respect what he cannot know, then indeed, he should shut up.

By the way, not to start another post I will add that I was reading a little bit from Science News, and a statistical reminder that about 50 percent of fertilized eggs do not, under natural conditions, implant. One of the reasons they may not has to do with hormonal conditions.

If the "moment of conception" folks are right, can anyone taking that position say why it would not, therefore, be within the scope of their mission to dictate to women who are, or might become, pregnant, a prescribed hormonal supplement, or likewise to forbid any action that might impede the action of the appropriate hormones?

Opponents of the IUD have already extended the potential mother's duty to include provision of a hospitable uterus. Where does a potential mother's duty to host a completed pregnancy begin and end?

Old 24th July 2022, 02:22 PM   #1419
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's also somewhat in the context of decades of examples of committee meetings, hearings, and Sunday morning news roundtables with literally all male participants and an entirely reasonable outburst of frustration.
Yes, to both.

Last night I was perusing Prime Video looking for something to watch. Just by coincidence, I ran across a French film titled "Flashback". It was very apropos to this discussion:

"Charlie is a high-ranking, cynical female lawyer who believes in nothing but herself. After another winning plea*, she meets with an unconventional driver, Hubert. Driving her back in time from the French revolution, to the Glorious Thirties and the First World War, he will confront Charlie with a lot of historical characters she would have never been able to meet (Marie Curie, Jeanne d’Arc, Gisèle Halimi), witnessing the biggest milestones in women rights achieved and fought for in order to experience freedom in the 20th** century."

*She uses the "wearing sexy lingerie on a date means she was looking to have sex with the man so he can't be convicted of rape" defense.

** 21st century

It was a lighthearted comedy but it had a serious message: women are sick and tired of being dominated and controlled by men. We aren't going to take it anymore.

The are more than a few men who need to watch it. Sadly, there are women who need to, also. Like Charlie, they've forgotten women's history and need to be reminded.
Old 24th July 2022, 02:25 PM   #1420
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Tough. Like I said, I really don't care what your opinion is for the reasons I stated. Suck it up, buttercup.
Old 24th July 2022, 02:39 PM   #1421
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

THIS is what I'm talking about. Matt Gaetz yesterday on abortion rights:

Quote:
"Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?" Gaetz said. "Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb."

Gaetz went on to say that "these people are odious on the inside and out. They're like 5'2, 350 pounds and they're like 'give me my abortions or I'll get up and march and protest' and I'm thinking: 'March? You look like you got ankles weaker than the legal reasoning behind Roe vs Wade.' A few of them need to get up and march. They need to get up and march for like an hour a day, swing those arms, get the blood pumping, maybe mix in a salad."
Quote:
Trump gave Gaetz a shoutout Saturday, calling him "a great guy and a tough guy... what a wonderful guy."
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s/10136955002/

It's a good thing that POS wasn't anywhere near me when he said that.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 24th July 2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 25th July 2022, 07:23 AM   #1422
BobTheCoward
Banned

It doesn't even make sense. Who does he think are getting abortions other than people having sex?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 08:26 AM   #1423
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. Mandatory pregnancy.
Ah yes, enough of the "right kind" of children.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 08:29 AM   #1424
catsmate
No longer the 1

Speaking of, I've yet to get an answer from a certain member...or really any anti-choice member... as to why aborting 'babies' resulting from rape or incest is not considered murdering 'the most innocent among us'. Are these 'babies' guilty of something?
Because it's bad PR.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 09:36 AM   #1425
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

A puff of air directed in his vicinity and the punk would fold like a paper airplane.
Old 25th July 2022, 09:54 AM   #1426
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Tough. Like I said, I really don't care what your opinion is for the reasons I stated. Suck it up, buttercup.
I thought that much of what you have posted in this thread seemed reasonable. But now that you are trying to suppress opposing opinions, I'm not so sure.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:05 AM   #1427
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I thought that much of what you have posted in this thread seemed reasonable. But now that you are trying to suppress opposing opinions, I'm not so sure.
"Men with unoriginal, uninformed, and dismissive views are the real victims in all of this."

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 25th July 2022 at 10:06 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 10:07 AM   #1428
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
"I'm the real victim in all of this."
Won't someone think of the men's opinions?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 10:28 AM   #1429
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I thought that much of what you have posted in this thread seemed reasonable. But now that you are trying to suppress opposing opinionsdismiss specified opinions in a specified context for specified reasons,
Fixed that for you.
I'm not so sure.
So you think she made sense and seemed reasonable on some things but now that she has written something that you object to you think it should all be dismissed?
Old 25th July 2022, 10:58 AM   #1430
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Someone who cares------------------------------------------->

Last edited by Stacyhs; 25th July 2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 25th July 2022, 02:23 PM   #1431
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Elizabeth Stone recounts what her pre-R v W abortion was like and what it will be like again for many women now thanks to the SC and the GOP anti-choice state governments:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th July 2022, 02:30 PM   #1432
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

That's what's meant, yes, but that's not what's said. I
I've just bounced into the last page of this thread and have read the comments by Stacy and Ginger, and, in fact, that is exactly what they have said.

Anti-choice men need to STFU. Your accusation that all men have to STFU just because they are men is a misrepresentation of what I have seen right here.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy

Last edited by pgwenthold; 25th July 2022 at 02:32 PM.
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 02:48 PM   #1433
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
That's what's meant, yes, but that's not what's said.
Thank you for mansplaining what I 'meant' because I'm obviously incapable of expressing myself accurately.
Old 25th July 2022, 03:01 PM   #1434
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I've just bounced into the last page of this thread and have read the comments by Stacy and Ginger, and, in fact, that is exactly what they have said.

Anti-choice men need to STFU. Your accusation that all men have to STFU just because they are men is a misrepresentation of what I have seen right here.
Yes, I went off on that, because I thought the initial post suggested that and reminded me too much of the "stay in your own lane" ideas by which warmongers and the like try to disqualify dissent, but got some clarification, and for my part I'm satisfied that the issue here is specifically anti-choice men who are unwilling to accept experiences that are not their own as being valid.

And as I'm a man and not being told to shut up, the implication at least is that not all men must shut up (even though I'm sure there are a few around here who wish I would).

Old 25th July 2022, 03:11 PM   #1435
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I went off on that, because I thought the initial post suggested that and reminded me too much of the "stay in your own lane" ideas by which warmongers and the like try to disqualify dissent, but got some clarification, and for my part I'm satisfied that the issue here is specifically anti-choice men who are unwilling to accept experiences that are not their own as being valid.

And as I'm a man and not being told to shut up, the implication at least is that not all men must shut up (even though I'm sure there are a few around here who wish I would).
Hell, no. This place would be much the poorer if you did.
Old 25th July 2022, 03:42 PM   #1436
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Also, Gaetz is just badly reversing a George Carlin bit done decades ago.
Old 26th July 2022, 04:18 AM   #1437
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Actually, that selective application is the problem with Stacyhs's argument. In her argument as she herself stated it, the reasons she gave for anti-choice men to STFU apply equally to pro-choice men. She doesn't want to listen when people mention that defect in her argument, but the defect remains regardless of whether she wants to hear it.

Here is her argument, in her own words, with her own bolding:
To all the anti-choice men: I don't care what your opinion on abortion is. Until you have to face the same decisions that pregnant under any circumstance women and girls have to make or when you have legislators telling you that you have no autonomy over your own body, then I'll care. Until then, your opinion on this has zero relevance so ST*U.

As has been noted, that's a self-own:

The various attempts to redeem the argument have relied upon the same special pleading that Stacyhs literally bold-faced in her original statement of her argument. Here is an example of that special pleading:

The fact that Stacyhs has assured bruto that she does not want him to shut up simply highlights her selective application of her argument.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2022, 04:29 AM   #1438
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Actually, that selective application is the problem with Stacyhs's argument. In her argument as she herself stated it, the reasons she gave for anti-choice men to STFU apply equally to pro-choice men. She doesn't want to listen when people mention that defect in her argument, but the defect remains regardless of whether she wants to hear it.
This goes back to the same ideas behind claims that somebody can be racially black, but not "politically" black. It's not as if there is unanimity amongst women on abortion. It's just that all women who are "politically" women, hold the approved beliefs. No true "political" Scotsman is pro-life.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2022, 04:47 AM   #1439
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Any idea how the discrepancies between these laws and best health care practices will play out in terms of liability? If you have to wait for a woman to be dying to abort her dead fetus that is medical malpractice as you are not following best medical practices.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th July 2022, 05:15 AM   #1440
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Any idea how the discrepancies between these laws and best health care practices will play out in terms of liability? If you have to wait for a woman to be dying to abort her dead fetus that is medical malpractice as you are not following best medical practices.
Best medical practice has always sat below the law. It is why you can't sue a doctor even when you can reasonably argue best medical practice would have been to violate FDA regulation (or any other regulation)....best medical practice automatically falls below the law
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics