IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Closed Thread
Old 31st July 2022, 12:05 PM   #2721
sackett
Philosopher

If the Ukrainians really did hit the Black Sea naval HQ with a drone, that's encouraging. Drones of any size in contested airspace will surely be vulnerable to a competent defense. (That's why the Ukrainians are dubious about the Reaper/Gray Eagle family. "This is not Afghanistan," is their way of summarizing it.)

Some details on that caper would be refreshing.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 12:17 PM   #2722
Wudang
BOFH

Interesting twitter thread about why "there is often a gap between Russian weapons on paper versus their performance in the field."

Quote:
There are two primary problems with Russian weapons: integration and cognitive load.
https://twitter.com/Jack_Watling/sta...45899871952897

Reading some of the replies and linked threads is useful.
Old 31st July 2022, 12:28 PM   #2723
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
If the Ukrainians really did hit the Black Sea naval HQ with a drone, that's encouraging. Drones of any size in contested airspace will surely be vulnerable to a competent defense. (That's why the Ukrainians are dubious about the Reaper/Gray Eagle family. "This is not Afghanistan," is their way of summarizing it.)

The Russians/Occupation Authorities think the attack came from within Sevastopol. At least that what they told Ria Novosti.
Link:https://t.me/rian_ru/172777

Quote:
The governor of Sevastopol clarified that during the attack of the Ukrainian
A drone attack on the headquarters of the Black Sea Fleet was carried out from Sevastopol, search operations are underway to find the perpetrators, Crimean senator Kovitidi told RIA Novosti
(Translated with Google Lens)
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 12:30 PM   #2724
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Tornado has longer range, but HIMARS - an evolution of MLRS - probably has better integration and cognitive load. On the other hand, integration with NATO's way of warfare is probably not so valuable to Ukraine.
Old 31st July 2022, 12:37 PM   #2725
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
The Russians/Occupation Authorities think the attack came from within Sevastopol. At least that what they told Ria Novosti.
Link:https://t.me/rian_ru/172777

(Translated with Google Lens)
Coming from Sevastopol would also be encouraging. It means that Russia needs more security even where it has had control since 2014

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 01:59 PM   #2726
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Have you tried to find out?
Yes
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 03:51 PM   #2727
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Coming from Sevastopol would also be encouraging. It means that Russia needs more security even where it has had control since 2014
The Russians have said (sorry, no link; I'm speaking to you from my lovely home here in the Pleistocene) that it was a homemade drone and "low powered," meaning the warhead I suppose.

Odd that such a thing would cancel their Navy Day.

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 04:00 PM   #2728
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

The Russians have said (sorry, no link; I'm speaking to you from my lovely home here in the Pleistocene) that it was a homemade drone and "low powered," meaning the warhead I suppose.

Odd that such a thing would cancel their Navy Day.
They don't have much of a navy left in the Black Sea to celebrate.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 04:30 PM   #2729
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
They have a strategy. Seize the South to connect Crimea so there is a direct land connection.
That's an objective not a strategy.
Old 31st July 2022, 04:35 PM   #2730
sackett
Philosopher

Surrendering to the Russians doesn't sound like a good idea. I wonder if they understand the consequences for them. Do they really want to be at war with men who are fighting for their lives?

Will they want to try surrendering to such men?

Old 31st July 2022, 07:10 PM   #2731
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's an objective not a strategy.
That's why it's a strategy. To strengthen their presence in Crimea.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 07:11 PM   #2732
a_unique_person

Another Russian dissident apparently poisoned outside Russia.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 08:37 PM   #2733
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They don't have much of a navy left in the Black Sea to celebrate.
No, it's still all in the Black Sea.

Just... not all on the surface.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 10:55 PM   #2734
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Not that the Russian speakers argument deserves to be treated with anything less than scorn, but... for the nearly inevitable next fringe reset, those interested might be willing to poke at something like this.

Quote:
On December 1st 1991 Ukraine held an independence referendum:

Registered voters: 37,885,555
Turnout: 31,891,742 (84,2%)

✅FOR 28,804,071 (92,3%)
⛔️AGAINST 2,417,554 (7,7%)

As you can see from the below map, even the regions with RU speaking population voted FOR.
Generally by a very sizable margin. Crimea was lowest with only a simple majority. Everywhere else was above 80% in favor of freedom from Russia. I wonder if sentiment is even higher, now.

Last edited by Aridas; 31st July 2022 at 10:56 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 12:53 AM   #2735
a_unique_person

Now the Russians have assassinated a businessman developing the Ukraine wheat business with a missile aimed at his home.
Old 1st August 2022, 02:25 AM   #2736
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

The first ship carrying grain has left Odessa

Turkish and Ukrainian officials say the ship left the port early today bound for Lebanon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62375580
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 02:29 AM   #2737
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Even money the Russians force it into Tarsus.
Old 1st August 2022, 02:35 AM   #2738
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Even money the Russians force it into Tarsus.
How would they do that?

Tarsus is in Turkey and not even a port.

The ship is 30 miles out of port and currently making 10.7 knots heading south east accompanied by a Tug

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 1st August 2022 at 02:41 AM.
Old 1st August 2022, 03:10 AM   #2739
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

How would they do that?

The ship is 30 miles out of port and currently making 10.7 knots heading south east accompanied by a Tug
Fingers crossed for them. If it were me, I'd like to read the fine print of what the Russians agreed to before going anywhere near.

So far it appears the Russians don't believe they promised not to bombard the ports or assassinate civilians who run the exporting business.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 03:44 AM   #2740
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Turned south west now, still accompanied by a Tug.

It's not a little ship, 38,000 tons
Old 1st August 2022, 07:43 AM   #2741
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/s...YsqQtb3pnDp9Vg

I'll let you see the embedded video that Russia is using to claim the destruction of two HIMARS systems.

I doubt they were hidden on a first/second (UK / US) floor of an apartment

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 08:30 AM   #2742
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

I'll let you see the embedded video that Russia is using to claim the destruction of two HIMARS systems.

In addition to that, there are lies about a Brimstone missile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVfddkn5M4&t=1s
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 09:04 AM   #2743
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

I think ships will get through ok for a week or two then one will be hit by a missile and Russia will blame Ukraine
Old 1st August 2022, 09:28 AM   #2744
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Russia's trying really hard to be at war with Ukraine without being at war with the world. But it's tricky, since the rest of the world isn't at war with Ukraine, and would like to keep trading with them.

It's also tricky that much of the western world is de facto at war with Russia over Ukraine. I wonder what would happen if NATO* committed to using its air power to vouchsafe Ukrainian grain shipments via the Black Sea.
Old 1st August 2022, 09:34 AM   #2745
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Russia's trying really hard to be at war with Ukraine without being at war with the world. But it's tricky, since the rest of the world isn't at war with Ukraine, and would like to keep trading with them.

It's also tricky that much of the western world is de facto at war with Russia over Ukraine. I wonder what would happen if NATO* committed to using its air power to vouchsafe Ukrainian grain shipments via the Black Sea.
And there is this

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/01/e...ntl/index.html

"neurological issues" and another Bulgarian arms depot has been sabotaged.

Could be a coincidence but it could also be Russia stepping up its undeclared war on the West. Both are within what it's done before (in fact by GRU Unit 29155)

Old 1st August 2022, 10:23 AM   #2746
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

No position update from Razoni or the tug sailing with it for over 3 hours.

Looks like they turned their AIS off or there are surprisingly few AIS stations in that part of the Black Sea
Old 1st August 2022, 11:39 AM   #2747
Stout
Philosopher

Does anybody here speak Russian? This whole thing is just to retarded, even for Russia. That clip was part of a larger newscast and unless guy in uniform is actually saying this is footage of apartment dwelling HIMARS going boom I'm going to reserve judgement in favor of something simpler like intern using wrong clip or the clip being unrelated to HIMARS destruction claims.

In the same broadcast there's also mention of butterfly mines being recently dispersed by Ukraine. I'm willing to write this off as Russian propaganda but I'd still like to see an denial from Ukraine that they have or are using these mines. We encountered these mines at the beginning of the conflict and Russia was (supposedly) scattering them in playgrounds so we know they're evil.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 11:43 AM   #2748
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
In addition to that, there are lies about a Brimstone missile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVfddkn5M4&t=1s
Dude needs to post links to back up his story. I had time on my hands so I did my own research and he's correct, we have seen this missile before.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 11:45 AM   #2749
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Does anybody here speak Russian? This whole thing is just to retarded, even for Russia. That clip was part of a larger newscast and unless guy in uniform is actually saying this is footage of apartment dwelling HIMARS going boom I'm going to reserve judgement in favor of something simpler like intern using wrong clip or the clip being unrelated to HIMARS destruction claims. ...
Thanks, I was thinking the same. This smacked of jimbob believing a poster on social media with 100% credulity, zero skepticism.
It's a favorite tactic of Russian propaganda, towards their home market, to make up, falsify or pull wildly out of context Western or Ukrainian clips and news and debunk them. I have a feeling it's the exact same kind of propaganda here, except the other way round (made up by some UA-side agency for Western consumption).
Old 1st August 2022, 12:01 PM   #2750
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Thanks, I was thinking the same. This smacked of jimbob believing a poster on social media with 100% credulity, zero skepticism.
It's a favorite tactic of Russian propaganda, towards their home market, to make up, falsify or pull wildly out of context Western or Ukrainian clips and news and debunk them. I have a feeling it's the exact same kind of propaganda here, except the other way round (made up by some UA-side agency for Western consumption).
Well google translate describes it as that.

As does this

https://www.1tv.ru/news/2022-08-01/4...mpleks_harpoon

Old 1st August 2022, 12:06 PM   #2751
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

The latest US arms package for Ukraine has been announced.

From the Pentagon, via CNN:
Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announces the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to $550 million to meet Ukraine’s critical security and defense needs. This authorization is the Biden Administration’s seventeenth drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021.
Capabilities in this package include equipment the Ukrainians are using effectively to defend their country such as:
75,000 rounds of 155mm artillery ammunition;
Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS).
Old 1st August 2022, 01:08 PM   #2752
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How would they do that?

Sorry, Tartus.
Old 1st August 2022, 01:32 PM   #2753
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Does anybody here speak Russian?
A couple of Twitter accounts I follow credit https://twitter.com/wartranslated for translation in case it helps.
Old 1st August 2022, 01:54 PM   #2754
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Well google translate describes it as that.

As does this

https://www.1tv.ru/news/2022-08-01/4...mpleks_harpoon
I don't know how to google-translate the words spoken in the video.
The video obviously shows footage from several locations, of several different kinds of attacks - the strike on a concrete building, shelling of a field, and something with a tank from overhead, in addition to showing some debris of something somewhere.
How do you know the claim made in the video is that the strike on the building specifically shows an attack on HIMARS?
Yes, the written article talks of a couple of HIMARS destroyed - but it would not be unusual in an online news article that it has embedded a video with content only somewhat related, not showing exactly and only what the article talks about. In fact, I find it highly usual that online journalists cobble together videos and text that are only borderline related to one another.
Old 1st August 2022, 02:09 PM   #2755
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I don't know how to google-translate the words spoken in the video.
The video obviously shows footage from several locations, of several different kinds of attacks - the strike on a concrete building, shelling of a field, and something with a tank from overhead, in addition to showing some debris of something somewhere.
How do you know the claim made in the video is that the strike on the building specifically shows an attack on HIMARS?
Yes, the written article talks of a couple of HIMARS destroyed - but it would not be unusual in an online news article that it has embedded a video with content only somewhat related, not showing exactly and only what the article talks about. In fact, I find it highly usual that online journalists cobble together videos and text that are only borderline related to one another.
The Google translate app in my phone transcribed it when I watched it on my laptop.

Old 1st August 2022, 02:40 PM   #2756
Wudang
BOFH

Interesting thread on long term impact to Russian army
https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1554168802350342148

Quote:
Heavy losses to what professional NCOs RS had, junior + field-grade officers means that the group of people who signed up in the last 10-15 years, when the military tried to reform and who knew something even a little different than 90s or Soviet military life, are gone
Old 1st August 2022, 02:47 PM   #2757
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Three British men accused of being mercenaries are to stand trial in a Russian proxy court in eastern Ukraine.

John Harding, Dylan Healy, and Andrew Hill will be tried in the so-called Donetsk People's Republic, a breakaway region of Ukraine, Russian media said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62384631
Old 1st August 2022, 10:22 PM   #2758
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at a more general update regarding the Kherson counteroffensive -

Quote:
Ukraine has taken back 46 villages in Kherson Oblast since start of counter-offensive.

Acting Governor of Kherson Oblast Dmytro Butrii reported the number, adding that some villages are "90% destroyed, and are still under shelling," as quoted by Interfax-Ukraine.
Not as fast as pretty much any of us would prefer, I'm sure, but they are pushing forwards. A fair bit faster than Russia's pushing forward on the eastern front, for that matter, by the look of it.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:18 AM   #2759
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Russia has reportedly doubled their forces around Kherson to around 25k to repel the counteroffensive (which would apparently never happen).

They continue to slowly advance towards Bakmut.

For a spent force, they seem to be able to call up significant reserves on one front and maintain their glacial pace of advance on another.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 02:15 AM   #2760
eerok
Quixoticist

Seems like whackamole to me. Russia diverts their eastern forces to Kherson, and Ukraine will start clobbering Donetsk or push from Kharkiv. At least Russia has realized what's strategically important, but it might be too late if they can't maintain access to the city of Kherson.

Last edited by eerok; 2nd August 2022 at 02:21 AM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics