IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jan 6

Old 1st August 2022, 01:34 PM   #761
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
God, Trump will now think he is King Lear betrayed by his childern.
Trump thinks King Lear is the ruler of some ****hole country.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 01:39 PM   #762
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think you're getting a bit far out there. Assassinations? Messing with the Senate vote by removing Dem senators? This is tin hat stuff.
The governor of Michigan as well as those at the capital on jan 6th would beg to differ. There are almost certainly other examples I can't recall or am unaware of at the moment. And then there are all the Democratic politicians at all levels of government who get death threats to them and their families. Numerous have already resigned as a result. This isn't tin hat stuff, it's a continuation of what's already occurring.

At what point do we stop pretending this isn't happening
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 01:58 PM   #763
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I was unaware of that. That does limit the room for cheating that the GOP has, but it doesn't remove my worry.

Assassinations might be on the table, in a stochastic manner. There's also the option of messing with the Senate vote, as I believe that the votes are counted on the floor. Any Democrats not present would not be able to vote to acquit - one of the (no doubt) many things I don't know for certain about the US system. Doing it this way would be a coup d'etat, but we already know that the GOP isn't above conducting such a thing.
I think you're getting a bit far out there. Assassinations? Messing with the Senate vote by removing Dem senators? This is tin hat stuff.
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
The governor of Michigan as well as those at the capital on jan 6th would beg to differ. There are almost certainly other examples I can't recall or am unaware of at the moment. And then there are all the Democratic politicians at all levels of government who get death threats to them and their families. Numerous have already resigned as a result. This isn't tin hat stuff, it's a continuation of what's already occurring.

Who's denying this is happening? Not I. I was responding to uke2se's claim that the GOP might be willing to assassinate Dem senators in order to get the votes to impeach and convict Biden. It had nothing to do with assassination plots by right-wing militia groups or lone wolf extremist nut cases. Context is important.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 02:55 PM   #764
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That would involve a literacy that he does not likely have.
Excellelnt point, They never brought out a CLassic Illlustarted version of King Lear.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 02:56 PM   #765
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Who's denying this is happening? Not I. I was responding to uke2se's claim that the GOP might be willing to assassinate Dem senators in order to get the votes to impeach and convict Biden. It had nothing to do with assassination plots by right-wing militia groups or lone wolf extremist nut cases. Context is important.
He also forgets that would pretty much cause a second civil war.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 02:57 PM   #766
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post

And what do we do about it, if true, other then whine on the internet?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st August 2022, 11:48 PM   #767
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And another one bites the dust: Seven years:

Quote:
Capitol rioter Guy Reffitt gets longest Jan. 6 sentence, but no terrorism enhancement
A judge denied the prosecutors’ request for a terrorism sentencing enhancement for Guy Reffitt, who was carrying a gun with him when he charged toward the U.S. Capitol.

WASHINGTON — A Donald Trump fan from Texas who tried to storm the U.S. Capitol while armed with a gun was sentenced to more than 7 years in prison on Monday after a judge denied the Justice Department's request for a "terrorism enhancement" that would have resulted in a lengthier prison sentence.

Guy Reffitt was the first Jan. 6 defendant to go to trial. Reffitt's own son actually tipped off the FBI a couple of weeks before Jan. 6 but didn't hear back until after the attack. The government had an enormous amount of evidence against Reffitt, including his friend's testimony that Reffitt was carrying zip ties and that the duo had made a decision to carry guns because they'd rather be "tried by a jury of 12 than carried by six."
Quote:
In court Monday, Reffitt described himself as "a ********** idiot" and was “not thinking clearly" when he tried to storm the U.S. Capitol.

“I clearly f---ed up,” Reffitt said.

“I did want to definitely make an apology, multiple apologies really, and accept my responsibility because I do hate what I did," he said.

Reffitt, who was a member of the Texas III%ers, told the judge that he no longer want to associate with militia groups or “or any stupid s--- like that.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...m-en-rcna40664
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:05 AM   #768
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://mobile.twitter.com/macfarlan...04595651596295

Quote:
Minutes after Guy Reffitt was sentenced to 7 years in Capitol riot case... his daughter calls for "life in prison" for Donald Trump
Video in link.
Old 2nd August 2022, 02:49 AM   #769
Susheel
Illuminator

One of the things that Trump and his circle of ring-kissers keep claiming is that there was a legitimate concern about the security and validity of the elections from the general public. However, can the proving, atleast this is the conclusion I have drawn so far based on what I have read, that the source of these "concerns" was the WH and Trump's own staff be a strategy to ensure that Trump cannot use the "I was just exercising the will of the people" excuse.
Old 2nd August 2022, 03:25 AM   #770
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
One of the things that Trump and his circle of ring-kissers keep claiming is that there was a legitimate concern about the security and validity of the elections from the general public. However, can the proving, atleast this is the conclusion I have drawn so far based on what I have read, that the source of these "concerns" was the WH and Trump's own staff be a strategy to ensure that Trump cannot use the "I was just exercising the will of the people" excuse.
Well, if you are saying what I think you are saying... (that while there was "legitimate concern about the security and validity of the elections from the general public", the actual source of that concern was The Fat Orange Turd's Big Lie) then I agree 100%

Take away the Big Lie, and the concern would not have been there.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 03:38 AM   #771
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well, if you are saying what I think you are saying... (that while there was "legitimate concern about the security and validity of the elections from the general public", the actual source of that concern was The Fat Orange Turd's Big Lie) then I agree 100%

Take away the Big Lie, and the concern would not have been there.
It's that, of late, there have been statements from Trump that his actions were guided by the concerns of "the people," and not that his office was the trigger for these concerns. Is he attempting to shift the blame on to his supporters and claim that he was just acting in good faith?
Old 2nd August 2022, 04:42 AM   #772
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It's that, of late, there have been statements from Trump that his actions were guided by the concerns of "the people," and not that his office was the trigger for these concerns. Is he attempting to shift the blame on to his supporters and claim that he was just acting in good faith?
But you would agree that the source of the "people's concerns" was the Big Lie, that he created, pushed and promoted since well before the election?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 05:07 AM   #773
Donal
Philosopher

I think Susheel was just pointing out how Trump seems to be shifting his talking point.
Old 2nd August 2022, 05:49 AM   #774
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
But you would agree that the source of the "people's concerns" was the Big Lie, that he created, pushed and promoted since well before the election?
Oh definitely...
Old 2nd August 2022, 05:49 AM   #775
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I think Susheel was just pointing out how Trump seems to be shifting his talking point.
Yep...and also that his current talking poi t can be proven to be false.
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:19 AM   #776
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Debated where to put this (since its not directly related to Jan6), but probably doesn't deserve a thread of its own...

After spending months reviewing the 2020 election in Arizona last year, Cyber Ninjas, the firm overseeing the so-called audit said it believed nearly 300 dead people may have voted....“After spending hundreds of hours reviewing these allegations, our investigators were able to determine that only one of the 282 individuals on the list was deceased at the time of the election. All other persons listed as deceased were found to be current voters,” Arizona’s attorney general, Mark Brnovich, a Republican, wrote...Brnovich added: “Our agents investigated all individuals that Cyber Ninjas reported as dead, and many were very surprised to learn they were allegedly deceased.”

I was dead... but I got better!

That sort of thing shouldn't come as any surprise, given the quality of work that Cyberninjas engaged in.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:28 AM   #777
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"Talking poi" describes Trump very well.
Old 2nd August 2022, 09:40 AM   #778
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Debated where to put this (since its not directly related to Jan6), but probably doesn't deserve a thread of its own...

After spending months reviewing the 2020 election in Arizona last year, Cyber Ninjas, the firm overseeing the so-called audit said it believed nearly 300 dead people may have voted....“After spending hundreds of hours reviewing these allegations, our investigators were able to determine that only one of the 282 individuals on the list was deceased at the time of the election. All other persons listed as deceased were found to be current voters,” Arizona’s attorney general, Mark Brnovich, a Republican, wrote...Brnovich added: “Our agents investigated all individuals that Cyber Ninjas reported as dead, and many were very surprised to learn they were allegedly deceased.”

That sort of thing shouldn't come as any surprise, given the quality of work that Cyberninjas engaged in.
Too big a world. Too few skeptics.

"A lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on." Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92)

It's a whack-a-mole problem. :sigh:
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:25 AM   #779
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Excellelnt point, They never brought out a CLassic Illlustarted version of King Lear.
And I suspect Ivanka's no Cordelia either.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:41 AM   #780
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Almost anything that comes out of that pouty little mouth can be proven false.

And yes, he's attempting to shift the blame from himself. He's never accepted responsibility for anything he's done wrong in his life but loves to take credit for what others have done right.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:05 PM   #781
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

God, Trump will now think he is King Lear betrayed by his childern.
I can imagine Trump responding, “King Leer, sure I’ll take that title. I am the best at leering. I am a perfect leerer.”
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:44 PM   #782
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Oh, hey. Missing Texts, Take 3. DoD, this time.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:04 AM   #783
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Federal Grand Jury has subpoenaed Pat Cipollone regarding Jan. 6.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:10 AM   #784
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

John Di Domenico does his impression of Trump's Jan. 7 outtakes. Pretty funny.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=569387081545474
Old 4th August 2022, 06:27 AM   #785
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Oh, hey. Missing Texts, Take 3. DoD, this time.
Everything Trump touched is courpt, this is standard Obstruction of Justice like in the Mueller Probe.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 09:27 AM   #786
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

To quote other people - "The reports of my death were greatly exagerated".
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 12:19 PM   #787
plague311
Great minds think...

I am genuinely interested in this because of how many times he took the 5th when he was in front of the panel:

Quote:
Sandy Hook lawyer: Jan. 6 panel asked for Alex Jones’ texts

An attorney for the parents of a child killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre who are suing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones over his false claims about the attack said Thursday that the U.S. House Jan. 6 committee has requested two years’ worth of records from Jones’ phone.

Attorney Mark Bankston told the Texas court where Jones is on trial to determine how much he owes for defaming the parents that the committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol has requested the digital records. He later said outside of court that he plans to comply with the request.
*chef's kiss*

You have to wonder if the lawyers for Jones did it on purpose.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 02:34 PM   #788
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It would truly be epic, EPIC, if Trump was finally destroyed by the simple incompetence of Alex Jones choice of attorney.
It could only get better if Trump personally recommended him to Jones.
Old 4th August 2022, 02:59 PM   #789
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It would truly be epic, EPIC, if Trump was finally destroyed by the simple incompetence of Alex Jones choice of attorney.
It could only get better if Trump personally recommended him to Jones.
I really want to see the depth and breadth of these texts. There's a part of me that think even Alex Jones's lawyers were so sick of Jones's sleaze that they might have had a moment of conscience. That the world needs to hear all this and the only way they could get it out was to do this.

I know. The idea of a lawyer having a conscience is mutually exclusive.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:50 PM   #790
BobTheCoward
Banned

Are they any closer to putting together legislation that was the whole legislative purpose for these subpoenas? People seem happy they are out there finding the the truth, but it isn't clear that they can constitutionally do that?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 10:59 PM   #791
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningWhilst there was some relevance to this thread in the original mention of the Alex Jones Sandy Hook case, please take any discussion of that to the existing thread.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 08:45 AM   #792
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Are they any closer to putting together legislation that was the whole legislative purpose for these subpoenas? People seem happy they are out there finding the the truth, but it isn't clear that they can constitutionally do that?
They are related to the January 6th insurrection. Perhaps new laws should be made to prevent such an act in the future. If Alex Jones was involved and by all appearances he was it is possible, even probable that some of his texts are relevant.
Old 5th August 2022, 10:06 AM   #793
slyjoe
Illuminator

The Electoral Count Reform Act is one piece of legislation so far:

Quote:
Prohibiting state legislatures from overruling their own voters. The Electoral Count Reform Act would bar state legislatures from unilaterally appointing electors after Election Day, and it would narrowly define the extraordinary emergency circumstances under which voting might be extended beyond Election Day.

Resolving disputes about electors and electoral votes before they reach Congress. The updated ECA would limit second-guessing of state election results by resolving disputes about electors and electoral votes before they reach Congress, including by providing for streamlined federal court review of legitimate disputes if necessary.  

Strictly limiting opportunities for members of Congress to second guess electors and electoral votes. Congress must accept a state’s certified election results in all but extraordinary circumstances. The Electoral Count Reform Act would achieve this by significantly raising the numerical threshold for members of Congress to object to a state’s appointment of electors or electoral votes.

Clarifying the vice president’s ministerial role in the counting of electoral votes. The updated ECA would clarify that the vice president’s constitutional role in counting electoral votes is limited and ministerial. The update would also reinforce that the vice president does not decide election results. 
https://campaignlegal.org/update/sen...oral-count-act
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 11:44 AM   #794
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The Electoral Count Reform Act is one piece of legislation so far:

https://campaignlegal.org/update/sen...oral-count-act
Sounds good to me.

I can imagine there will be great whining and crying as this bill approaches a vote.

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th August 2022 at 11:45 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 11:54 AM   #795
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again the issue is that "A Group of Elites overriding the will of the people for the good of people" isn't like a perversion of the Electoral College or some procedural technicality that the Electoral College let's happen... it's what the Electoral College is in form and function, both letter and spirit.

We have to get rid of it, not go "Well let's just not let it do the thing it was designed to do."
Old 5th August 2022, 12:05 PM   #796
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again the issue is that "A Group of Elites overriding the will of the people for the good of people" isn't like a perversion of the Electoral College or some procedural technicality that the Electoral College let's happen... it's what the Electoral College is in form and function, both letter and spirit.

We have to get rid of it, not go "Well let's just not let it do the thing it was designed to do."
100% agree. The EC is an undemocratic and archaic institution that needs to go. The presidency should be determined like every single other elected position: by direct, popular vote. The EC undermines our concept of "one person, one vote" and no vote having more power than another.
Old 5th August 2022, 12:05 PM   #797
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

if the EC did what it was designed to do (namely, to prevent a Trump type from getting elected), we might talk about keeping it.
As it stands, it doesn't even pretend to fulfil its function.
Old 5th August 2022, 12:22 PM   #798
Donal
Philosopher

And it isn't meant to give smaller states protection from larger states. When the Constitution was ratified, the EC gave the most populous state at the time, Virginia, a tremendous amount of power.

The reality is, that presidential elections hinge on "Swing states". And the 2 most important swing states are 2 of the most populated. It's not even the entirety of any swing states. It's mostly a handful of districts that can flip year to year. Those tend to be the affluent suburbs around cities like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
Old 5th August 2022, 12:23 PM   #799
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And the other issue the Right has decided since they can't win fairly, I mean they've openly admitted this and can't put the genie back in the bottle no matter how hard they try, BUT they've sold us on the whole "Okay so that means if you want things to be fair, you're just biased against us." thing.

I mean we've seen it here. The same troll argument everytime we talk about getting rid of the EC. No it's impossible to want the state that has *checks notes* has two escalators in the entire state to not have the same amount of political power as as the 4th the largest economy in the world without just being a cuck for the Democrats.
Old 5th August 2022, 12:27 PM   #800
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
And it isn't meant to give smaller states protection from larger states.
All of the excuses for the EC are lies. It was never meant to protect the rural areas, it was never meant to protect the smaller states, it was never about "making sure most of the States elect a President."

It was a failsafe because as forward thinking and Democratic as the Founding Fathers were they were still terrified of the common people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics