IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Closed Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Jimbo07
Illuminator

The Russian Invasion of Ukraine Part 4

Mod InfoThread continued from here.
Posted By:xjx388
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Did they push or were they allowed? For example If ground is not good for defence then don't defend it,
The line I heard is that this is deliberate, and that Ukraine is trading ground for time.

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
The Ukrainians need to work on bleeding the Russians dry. Retaking territory is secondary to that. But the do need to still hold the Russians back.
This.

So long as Russia is in Ukraine, they can always counter attack. One small piece of land goes one way, then the other. Rather than occupying a particular piece of ground, Ukraine needs to degrade Russia's ability to wage war (not because I want them to, but because they'll literally never be free if they don't).

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key

Last edited by xjx388; 20th May 2022 at 03:57 PM.
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It might be time for Ukraine to invade Russia.
Not really. Major advantage of Ukraine is morale. That could change fast.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 02:16 PM   #3
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Kharkiv, not Kherson. The Kherson front's been relatively stable, despite apparent efforts to change that from both sides.
How did I got Kherson tehre and not Kharkiv I don't now. It wasn't even recent topic.

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I'm wondering if the additional arms and materiel that should flow from the US following their lend-lease act could make the difference in pushing back the Russians, or are there other factors apart from supply?

For example, Ukraine is reportedly losing fewer troops, and their morale and motivation are definitely higher than the Russians, but is it even remotely plausible for the Russians to persist until the Ukrainian forces are exhausted? They can throw a lot of fodder into this war, whereas Ukraine's population is a limited resource.
No. Phase 2 mobilization of Ukraine yielded about million of soldiers. First divisions should be already in Donbas. Compare that to Russian numbers.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 02:22 PM   #4
crescent
Philosopher

Did they push or were they allowed? For example If ground is not good for defence then don't defend it, if your line has a 'bulge' then straighten it, if there is a natural defence line then move to it etc.
If we learned anything from WW2 it is that fighting blindly for every inch of ground is a waste of men and resources.
This is a big bulge into Ukrainian lines, putting the main supply route into Severtdoneskt under Russian artillery fire. This isn't Ukraine pulling out of a salient, this is Russia pushing a big one deep into Ukrainian territory.

Its true that Ukraine didn't contest those towns. It contested Popasna very hard though. There's a word used when enemy forces get past a strongly contested line and into an area where they face little resistance - breakout. It seems possible that Russia has broken through the line of Ukrainian defense and is now pushing forces through that gap.

Here's one person suggesting concern:
Quote:
Should know more in the next 72 hours or so. If 🇷🇺 quickly continues its advance, 🇺🇦 will likely need to pull the majority of its forces out of Severnodonetsk. If not, there will be likely be a major fight for Bakhmut as both sides funnel remaining reserves into the area.
another:
Quote:
POPSNA SALIENT /2045 UTC 20 MAY/ After weeks of relative quiet, in the last 48 hrs RU forces register & expand significant gains west of Popsna. UKR loss of the heights above of Trypillia Volodymyrivka will significantly hamper defensive operations.
NBC news:
Quote:
the location of this advance is also important, he said, with the Russian forces now closer to encircling and cutting off the key city of Severodonetsk, the last major city under Ukrainian control in the Luhansk province — something they have been attempting to do for weeks, Horowitz said.
There is some genuinely worrisome news here.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 02:34 PM   #5
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The Russian Invasion of Ukraine Part 4

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It might be time for Ukraine to invade Russia.
I would argue raid into Russia but not invade. Raids into Crimea wouldn't go amiss even though that's Ukrainian territory.
Old 20th May 2022, 02:46 PM   #6
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
This is a big bulge into Ukrainian lines, putting the main supply route into Severtdoneskt under Russian artillery fire. This isn't Ukraine pulling out of a salient, this is Russia pushing a big one deep into Ukrainian territory.(
So the bulge is in the Russian lines and they advance in to uncontested terrain?

The 'declined centre' used effectively by Rommel against the 8th Army advance in 'Operation Crusader'

They are the ones with the over extended line ripe for encircling.

What I mean is every situation can be read two ways.

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 20th May 2022 at 04:10 PM.
Andy_Ross is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 04:21 PM   #7
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
So the bulge is in the Russian lines and they advance in to uncontested terrain?

The 'declined centre' used effectively by Rommel against the 8th Army advance in 'Operation Crusader'

They are the ones with the over extended line ripe for encircling.

What I mean is every situation can be read two ways.
I honestly hope this is what they're doing. Let them advance then cut them off.
Old 20th May 2022, 04:51 PM   #8
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Even if the Russians do succeed in their current offensive, what next? They still won't be anywhere close to forcing Ukraine to surrender, but the Russian economy and the Russian Army will be that much closer to complete collapse.
Old 20th May 2022, 05:40 PM   #9
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Even if the Russians do succeed in their current offensive, what next? They still won't be anywhere close to forcing Ukraine to surrender, but the Russian economy and the Russian Army will be that much closer to complete collapse.
It's not rational in any way. It's just to destroy as much of Ukraine as possible. And lives of peasants and rusty soviet vehicles are small price. The isolation is another thing, but that won't change any time soon, so why not destroy few more villages, till the peasants are completely depleted.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 06:15 PM   #10
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Russia has declared victory in its months-long battle to conquer the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol.

The last fighters defending the city's Azovstal steel plant have now surrendered, Moscow officials said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61529877
Andy_Ross is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 08:50 PM   #11
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Russia, despite all it's failures, has more artillery that is relatively safe from the Ukrainian armed forces. They will keep doing what they do best, which is destroy anything that is in range. Civilians will pay the biggest price.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 11:04 PM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Russia, despite all it's failures, has more artillery that is relatively safe from the Ukrainian armed forces. They will keep doing what they do best, which is destroy anything that is in range. Civilians will pay the biggest price.
Sadly, this.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 11:47 PM   #13
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Current status per ISW:
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/s...835009/photo/1

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 11:50 PM   #14
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
How did I got Kherson tehre and not Kharkiv I don't now. It wasn't even recent topic.
The two are quite similar, though, and, for what it's worth, I had recently mentioned Kherson in the thread, I think. Incidentally, I find myself having to recheck myself with Melitopol and Mariupol most of the time when I want to name Melitopol. I've been trying to just avoid using the names of some of the actually repeated settlement names, too, because that can get really confusing, really quick.

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
There is some genuinely worrisome news here.
Indeed. We'll see how this plays out, either way.
Old 21st May 2022, 02:36 AM   #15
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

That's how wars work.
Old 21st May 2022, 04:16 AM   #16
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Moldova should be "equipped to Nato standard" to help it guard against the threat of a Russian invasion, Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has said.

She said it was clear that, despite limited success in Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin retained "ambitions to create a greater Russia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61532625
Old 21st May 2022, 06:27 AM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You don't say!

The point is that what's in range these days is a lot less than it used to be, a lot less than what Russia would like to be, and may well become even less in days to come.
Old 21st May 2022, 10:33 AM   #18
Doubt
Philosopher

They are not safe. Ukraine has been hitting the Russian guns with drones. The speed at which that happens will increase since one of the things being sent to Ukraine is counter battery radar.
Old 21st May 2022, 10:40 AM   #19
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
They are not safe. Ukraine has been hitting the Russian guns with drones. The speed at which that happens will increase since one of the things being sent to Ukraine is counter battery radar.
I thought I heard/read they were also getting artillery with a greater range than the Russians are presently using against Ukraine.
Old 21st May 2022, 12:20 PM   #20
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I thought I heard/read they were also getting artillery with a greater range than the Russians are presently using against Ukraine.
Yes the US have sent 155mm Howitzers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M777_howitzer
Old 21st May 2022, 12:23 PM   #21
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
A general word of caution:

What we hear may not be what's really important and decisive.
What we hear is definitely biased - one way or another.
What we hear may be untrue, or only partially true, or be presented without significant caveats and qualifiers.

For example:
We have NOT been hearing much about logistics problems lately, or have we? That was a huge issue in the early weeks - when Russia was struggling.
No, Russia is concentrating the fighting close to territory it controls tightly, and thus they enjoy short and relatively safe supplies and and supply routes.
On the other hand, Ukraine increasingly suffers disruption of logistics lines (Russia fires missiles at railroads, bridges all over the country), and also has very long supply lines - are we certain that Ukraine can move all that heavy gear, keep it fueled and stocked with the requisite kinds and numbers of ammo?

I am convinced Ukraine and her US/NATO intelligence supporters keep very quiet about the really important details of what is and isn't supplied and deployed.

[/standard disclaimer]
Old 21st May 2022, 02:10 PM   #22
Childlike Empress
Banned

Visit the former Azov HQ in Yurevka near Mariupol:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 03:05 PM   #23
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post

It isn't about forcing Ukraine to surrender, it is about de-militarization and de-nazification of Ukraine. Those are the stated goals. At least the latter seems to be pretty much close to success if you watch the videos I just posted above.

Evil Incarnated even stated several times that he doesn't care if Kolomoiski's Comedian stays in place or not.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 03:19 PM   #24
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
It isn't about forcing Ukraine to surrender, it is about de-militarization and de-nazification of Ukraine. Those are the stated goals.
But most of us know those are lies.
Old 21st May 2022, 04:50 PM   #25
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

It isn't about forcing Ukraine to surrender, it is about de-militarization and de-nazification of Ukraine. Those are the stated goals. At least the latter seems to be pretty much close to success if you watch the videos I just posted above.
In 2014, Ukraine's military didn't put up any significant resistance. In 2022, Ukraine's military has fought the vaunted Russian military to a standstill. In fact, due to the Russian 'special operation,' Ukraine's military has received large quantities of advanced weapons that they probably never would have gotten otherwise.

I don't think the 'de-militarization' part is going very well for Russia.
Old 21st May 2022, 05:43 PM   #26
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
In 2014, Ukraine's military didn't put up any significant resistance. In 2022, Ukraine's military has fought the vaunted Russian military to a standstill. In fact, due to the Russian 'special operation,' Ukraine's military has received large quantities of advanced weapons that they probably never would have gotten otherwise.

I don't think the 'de-militarization' part is going very well for Russia.
More like the Russians "re-militarized" Ukraine.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 07:54 PM   #27
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Tip: If your army has a new piece of big artillery, don't do a news report showing its position. It might get blown up.

https://twitter.com/ukikaski/status/1528100518547054595

MORONS!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 09:47 PM   #28
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at the apparent current state of the Popasna salient -

Quote:
Popasna Update: Russians are attacking the following towns(marked in yellow on the map):
Troits'ke, Plypchatyne, Volodymryivka(Heavily Contested), Vasylivka, Nyrkove, Vrubivka, Katerynivka.
Russians are trying to advance on the bigger towns of Zolote and Hirs'ke with no success.
No direct further gains yet, though, by the look of it. This splitting of forces is again reminiscent of Izyum, though, and also gives the Ukrainian artillery a lot more opportunities to whittle away at Russian forces.
Old 22nd May 2022, 01:01 AM   #29
Wildy
Adelaidean

So where does the land grab enter into it?
Old 22nd May 2022, 01:13 AM   #30
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Tip: If your army has a new piece of big artillery, don't do a news report showing its position. It might get blown up.

MORONS!
And if I am not mistaken, a similar thing happened to that ship (Saratov?) in Berdyansk(?). Maybe even the same guy?
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 01:45 AM   #31
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Evil Incarnated even stated several times that he doesn't care if Kolomoiski's Comedian stays in place or not.
It's about removing all things Ukraine from Ukraine.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 02:24 AM   #32
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

The Ukrainian government says it won't agree a ceasefire deal with Russia that involves giving up territory.
Kyiv would not follow calls in the West for an urgent ceasefire that involved Russian forces remaining in territory they occupy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share
Old 22nd May 2022, 02:44 AM   #33
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
There are far right crackpots in every country in the world, including Russia. As an excuse to invade another country, it's about as lame as it's possible to get.
Remember the head of the Wagner group, which is riddled with Nazi worshipers and who has SS rank badges tattooed on his body in the correct location for SS uniforms and who has Kremlin approval. Mainly because it seems to be their deniable mercenary group.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 04:06 AM   #34
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

But the Special Military Witchhunt is only a hunt for Ukrainian witches. Stop looking at those Russian ones. And the demilitarisation aspect is proceeding to plan except for the single detail that the intended side is massively rearming while the other side is disarming itself piece by piece. On balance there are fewer weapons in the world; Russia's gift to the world.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:31 AM   #35
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

MORONS!
It shows the importance of fire and movement.
What's the point of putting the weapon an a vehicle if you are just going to leave it in one place to be targeted?

Do we know that is the same vehicle?

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 22nd May 2022 at 05:36 AM.
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:53 AM   #36
ThatGuy11200
Critical Thinker

It shows the importance of fire and movement.
What's the point of putting the weapon an a vehicle if you are just going to leave it in one place to be targeted?

Do we know that is the same vehicle?
It would be funnier if it isn't. To think that the original repositioned itself after firing, only for another to drive up to the same location afterwards.

I wouldn't put it past the Russians to misunderstand the point of 'fire and move'.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 06:55 AM   #37
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't look like the same location.
Chances are it is the same as there are only very few of them.
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:13 AM   #38
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It doesn't look like the same location.
Chances are it is the same as there are only very few of them.
Agreed. It's plausibly the same general location but I can't identify any features that match the buildings or indeed identify the vehicle. May well be a true story but the video is not proof so far as I can see. In the last few seconds as the view widens we can see it's a larger group of buildings, with fires in other places too, so it's a larger attack than a single strike on a specific vehicle target.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:38 AM   #39
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Russia has only 10 of them operational (well, now they have 9)
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:51 AM   #40
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Agreed. It's plausibly the same general location but I can't identify any features that match the buildings or indeed identify the vehicle. May well be a true story but the video is not proof so far as I can see. In the last few seconds as the view widens we can see it's a larger group of buildings, with fires in other places too, so it's a larger attack than a single strike on a specific vehicle target.
There's another video further down that shows the whole engagement. It did move from the original spot but it was in the same building complex when the Ukrainians took it out.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics